PDA

View Full Version : Tarntawan Hotel Bangkok

sydneyboy
November 5th, 2006, 15:28
Has anyone stayed at the Tarntawan lately? I am interested as to what the rooms and bathrooms are like following the renovations. I posed this question a few months ago and got a mixed response. I have stayed there about 6 times (pre renovation) and have a soft spot for the place because of the service and location but the rooms were a getting shabby. Recent updates appreciated.

TOQ
November 5th, 2006, 16:24
I stayed there two months ago. Requested a room that faces the front of hotel.. Room was very nice, bathroom was just fine.. I had no complaints with the hotel at all.. When I booked I requested "Friends of Dicks Cafe" rate. I believe it is 2150B.. which is cheaper than the standard rate.. That is inclusive of all tax and includes all day breakfast.

I think you will enjoy..

john

sydneyboy
November 5th, 2006, 16:31
Thank you for your contribution, much appreciated. Some people have complained in the past that the hotel was over priced. I never shared this view and believed it good value given the service and location. As I stated earlier my only complaint was the tired decor. Out of interest, did you stay there pre renovation and how did it compare post renovation?

November 5th, 2006, 16:41
I stayed there 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. Top class. If they renovated it im sure its even better!

Shame my decorum was fading lol

http://gaycocklibrary.pimpedhost.com/paul/bangkok/tarn2.jpg

November 5th, 2006, 16:41
When I booked I requested "Friends of Dicks Cafe" rate. I believe it is 2150B.. which is cheaper than the standard rate.. That is inclusive of all tax and includes all day breakfast.

You can also get a similar reduced rate if you stay at Le Cafe Royale (Pattaya) first and then transfer to the Tarntawan (BKK).

November 5th, 2006, 16:42
I've been staying there regularly for the past few years and confirm that the rooms and bathrooms have been freshened-up and no returning guest will fail to notice the improvements in decor and comfort. When I was there last, work was also being carried out on the hot-water system, which in some rooms appears to have been problematical. I continue to recommend the hotel for its ambiance, its comfort, its convenient locality and its helpful staff.

TOQ
November 5th, 2006, 22:15
[ Out of interest, did you stay there pre renovation and how did it compare post renovation?[/quote]

I have stayed both post and pre.. Yes you can tell the difference.. Hot water was no problem at all.. The only downside I had was the slow internet access from the Internet Room they have in the lobby.. It was some pretty slow high speed.. Also very friendly wait staff at the counter and the cafe..

john

sydneyboy
November 6th, 2006, 01:06
Thank you all for your excellent assistance.This forum at its best is priceless. Looks like its back to the Tarntawan for me.

November 6th, 2006, 07:32
Funny to read this thread as Im currently AT Tarntawan.
I've been staying at this hotel for 5 years on my bangkok trips. The tired decor has changed for the better. Its not anything fantastic, just freshened up so it doesn't look "shabby" anymore. They now have FREE wireless internet in the rooms which is a plus if you bring your laptop (but yes, it is a bit slow).

One current downside- there is a BIG construction project going on at the hospital behind. They seem to start work by 8am. As I am a heavy sleeper and early riser it has not ben a problem for me. If noise bothers you though make sure you get a room on the front side of the hotel this season!

Also for newbies- if you can't get a front room make sure you ask for a room above floor 5 in the back otherwise your view will be the backside of an old apartment block!

November 6th, 2006, 15:04
The Tarntawan Place Hotel is one of the best. Affordable, clean, centrally located, and very hospitable by any means. They will even provide you with your own name card for free if you like.

They work togehter with The Ambiance in Pattaya, You get special conditions if you change from one to the other pleace; should be arranged by receptionists.

November 6th, 2006, 16:09
I've stayed here. The rooms are ok, but its real charm is its location and its service. Great.

Olive-Er

November 7th, 2006, 01:53
And if you stay there.. you get free entertainment each morning.. watching the bored and sad faces of all the Thai boys who were 'Purchased" the night before having breakfast with their old fat punters . They look like cornered cats looking for the closest exit LOL

But on a serious note.. I find the lack of room safes in a hotel that charges such high rates an unforgivable oversight.

November 7th, 2006, 02:05
That's true with the boys. But sometimes the old panthers are also wondering what they found evenings before. The dim illuminations in some bars are doing wonders - its owrking on both sides ...

But nevertheless, even the moneyboys will be treated as honoured and respected guests by staff and management. That is not always the same in many other hotels. This is also a very good nice pro.

And if one guest is arriving with an dubious pick-up he will be watched closely in order to avoid any trouble.

The Tarntawan Place is all around the very best stay in gay Bangkok. The owners Mike and Lucas are doing an excellent job. Managing an good hotel in this area is not an easy task. Many long time regular guests are grateful for this. I am one of them.

November 7th, 2006, 02:05
That's true with the boys. But sometimes the old panthers are also wondering what they found evenings before. The dim illuminations in some bars are doing wonders - its owrking on both sides ...

But nevertheless, even the moneyboys will be treated as honoured and respected guests by staff and management. That is not always the same in many other hotels. This is also a very good nice pro.

And if one guest is arriving with an dubious pick-up he will be watched closely in order to avoid any trouble.

The Tarntawan Place is all around the very best stay in gay Bangkok. The owners Mike and Lucas are doing an excellent job. Managing an good hotel in this area is not an easy task. Many long time regular guests are grateful for this. I am one of them.

sydneyboy
November 7th, 2006, 02:49
Jake Nasty

I have come to the view that room safes are a 2 edged sword. Lets face it your advertising where your valuables are kept. I have read some horror stories (particularly in Brazil) of thefts from in room safes.

RonanTheBarbarian
November 10th, 2006, 22:18
When I booked I requested "Friends of Dicks Cafe" rate. I believe it is 2150B

That is quite a good reduction, considering that the quoted rate on the website is 2,500 baht.

Do you need to provide any evidence that you are a "Friend of Dick's cafe" to get this rate, or can anybody get it that just claims this "friendship"?

TOQ
November 11th, 2006, 05:35
When I booked I requested "Friends of Dicks Cafe" rate. I believe it is 2150B

That is quite a good reduction, considering that the quoted rate on the website is 2,500 baht.

Do you need to provide any evidence that you are a "Friend of Dick's cafe" to get this rate, or can anybody get it that just claims this "friendship"?

Anyone can get it.. Just ask for it when you make your booking either by phone or email.. You will truely be lucky if they ask you to prove it :).

john

sydneyboy
November 11th, 2006, 14:59
For 14 consecutive nights the hotel offered me a rate of 2000baht in October, but I was forced to cancel. I believe they have similar specials at other times. If you are planning a longish stay send them an E mail and they always respond quickly. Service has always been their strong point.

bjbjboy
November 12th, 2006, 00:47
But on a serious note.. I find the lack of room safes in a hotel that charges such high rates an unforgivable oversight.
Interesting you mention that. I usually do use the safe in a hotel room when there is one.
Oddly, I feel like my stuff is more secure there at the Tarntawan than at huge, faceless hotels. If you are a regular customer at the T, you will notice that nearly all of the staff has been around for 10+ years.
That does not guarantee anything--but in all my years coming to the T and checking message boards about hotels, I have NEVER heard any reports of anything even remotely dishonest happening there. Anyone?

sydneyboy
November 12th, 2006, 02:11
I have never heard anything dishonest about the Tarntawan and I would trust them totally. The point I made earlier about in room safes and house safes is that you are "advertising" where your valuables are kept. I have read some horror stories on internet sites of valuables stolen from in room and in house safes in a number of countries including Thailand. One recent story was a person who had left all his valuables (including his credit card) in an in house safe and did not touch them for the duration of his stay at this particular hotel. On his return home he found $5000 had been spent on his credit card. A hotel employee was the only explanation. I repeat I would have no such fears at the Tarntawan.

November 12th, 2006, 17:33
I find the lack of room safes in a hotel that charges such high rates an unforgivable oversight.

I have to agree that this is the only real flaw in what is otherwise an excellent hotel.

It is just so convenient to have immediate access to ones valuables without having to go to reception with a separate key every time. It is also handy to be able to secure ones wallet/cash when, for instance, going to have a shower when one has taken a boy to the room - it takes away the temptation of inquisitive minds and acquisitive wandering fingers.
The new electronic combination safes (A-la Cafe Royale, for instance) are secure and I can't see that a hotel employee would be able to gain access to them....(there MUST be some way to gain access without the combination, in case the safe is left locked when the customer vacates the hotel, but as long as this is tightly controlled by the Hotel management, I can't see that there is a great problem).

The Tarntawan is the best hotel for the gay traveler in terms of money, ambiance, comfort, cleanliness, friendliness, location and overall service. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Bangkok.

tony279760-old
November 12th, 2006, 19:08
I've always enjoyed my stays at the Tarntawan. Good location, friendly staff and nice surroundings at a reasonable price. The only hint of a problem I've ever had there was a 600 baht charge for a telephone call to the US I know I didn't make. The charged was canceled when I assured them I didn't have any contacts in the US and the call was placed at a time when I was surrounded by three young men, who for some reason had misplaced their underwear, in the upstairs lounge in Solid bar. It was all sorted out in minutes with smiles all round (the telephone call, not the boys). I also like the fact they check boys' ID cards and only return them after they've called your room to make sure everything is OK.

bao-bao
November 12th, 2006, 20:53
....(there MUST be some way to gain access without the combination, in case the safe is left locked when the customer vacates the hotel, but as long as this is tightly controlled by the Hotel management, I can't see that there is a great problem)

You're quite right, Snowkat - hotel employees who know how can get into that safe in well less than 30 seconds - I've been there and watched them. Because of my writing and for photo storage I travel with a laptop computer and like the moderate feeling of security when it waits in the safe, but three times this past trip I've had to call the front desk to ask for help opening them.

The first was a mechanical glitch with the unit itself, the second was a battery too low to respond properly and the third was my fault after forgetting the new code I'd chosen after the low battery episode (that was embarrassing, too, just ten minutes after I'd called them up the first time). I'd also had a minor problem with one last year.

To my relief all three hotels sent TWO suit-and-tie people from the office (not just a housekeeping person) to access the safe; more than likely to keep each other from giving in to temptation. Given their good looks one time it helped keep me from temptation, also, but that's completely off topic and I'll leave it open here for smart remarks in reply postings. At any rate, one hotel used a small cylindrical key, one used some sort of "master" code number and one used both.

The point is - after three paragraphs - is this: room safes aren't necessarily as safe as we want to think they are, but they do keep things close at hand for us and not visiting guests.

(As an afterthought: I was most polite each time to the pair who had the means to get into the safe and tipped them well for their time and skills. Window dressing, I'm sure, but I felt better about it.)

sydneyboy
November 12th, 2006, 21:28
Bao Bao

I had a similar experience with an in room safe at a 5 star hotel in Brazil. I arrived jet lagged after a long flight from Australia and forgot the code I had entered and called for assistance. The room service guy on duty came to my room and opened the safe with a smallish piece of metal (which appeared to be a sort of magnet) simply placed on the door of the safe near where you enter the code. It was as simple as that. There were no dramas and I re entered a code with his back turned and had no further problems. My point is that opening the safe without a code was astonishingly simple and I have no difficulty in believing stories I have read on other internet sites of valuables stolen from in room safes.

November 12th, 2006, 22:23
Bao Bao

I had a similar experience with an in room safe at a 5 star hotel in Brazil. I arrived jet lagged after a long flight from Australia and forgot the code I had entered and called for assistance. The room service guy on duty came to my room and opened the safe with a smallish piece of metal (which appeared to be a sort of magnet) simply placed on the door of the safe near where you enter the code. It was as simple as that. There were no dramas and I re entered a code with his back turned and had no further problems. My point is that opening the safe without a code was astonishingly simple and I have no difficulty in believing stories I have read on other internet sites of valuables stolen from in room safes.

The only time I have heard of a hotel room combination safe being opened was when my brother forget his code in a hotel in Germany. The Hotel manager opened the safe by using a special Allen type key which fitted into a socket under the lock housing and then punching in a special code number on the lock. Hence my comment about the Hotel management having tight control over such a facility! But I suppose there are a variety of types of lock and the means to open them in an emergency.

I felt re-assured after Bao Bao's comments but you have now dented my faith! :cherry:
:idea: Next time I plan to just keep a small amount of cash and essential valuables in the room safe and put the remainder in a sealed envelope in the main hotel safe.

fedssocr
November 13th, 2006, 07:15
I too stayed there twice in September. I found the friendly staff to be the best aspect of the hotel. My room on the first stay was on the 5th floor so I had a view above the apartment building out back so it was fine. The bathrooms are basic, but you have to be careful not to stub your toes on the bathroom bulkhead entrance. I felt like I was on a cruise ship. I found the bed to be a bit too hard and not very comfortable. Overall the decor was pleasant. Breakfast was passable but not great and on more than one occasion my fruit plate didn't arrive.

My second stay was on the second floor also on the back of the hotel so the view was a wall. I was surprised that a return guest would be given such a crappily located room especially since I had just been there a couple of weeks before.. And I had no hot water. When I did run the water it turned brown and stayed that way for a long time. When I asked at the front desk about this problem they told me I needed to let it run for 5 minutes or so. Eventually I did get hot water but after seeing all that dirty water rushing out it didn't give me much confidence. But I was only staying for two nights so I didn't make a big scene about.

I liked the call from security when my guest was leaving. Everyone was always very helpful and smiled all the time. The elevator security guy always greeted me with a smile and a nod.

Since I had the room as part of the package I bought from Purple Dragon I don't know what the room rate for me would have been. I found the Siam Heritage around the corner to be much more comfortable room-wise, but they seem to have lots of rules about things there. Apparently they do not allow any outside guests up to your room at all. Not sure how strictly that is enforced but I was not encouraged to test it. Of course that hotel is a class above so you definitely pay more.

sydneyboy
November 13th, 2006, 13:42
I stayed for about 2 weeks at the Siam Heritage when it was almost brand new. The room furnishings were very nice and the common areas quite luxurious. As for the service it reminded me (I am showing my age) of the wonderful British comedy series Faulty Towers. My toilet overflowed twice completely flooding the bathroom, my room key card failed to work on a number of occasions and I had to go reception to get into my room sometimes after a considerable delay, the air conditioning sounded like a 747 preparing for take off, I was staying there at the time of the tsunami and my elderly mother had to ring twice before a message was passed on, 2 days after her first call (the tsunami of course did not effect Bangkok but that is beside the point) and the English language skills of the staff were mediocre. In summary it was not what it appeared to be.

November 13th, 2006, 20:25
The point is - after three paragraphs - is this: room safes aren't necessarily as safe as we want to think they are, but they do keep things close at hand for us and not visiting guests.
FWIW, it was explained to me by a hotel security manager that use of the master key/code resets the combination, it does not allow just a quick undetectable entry. You would be aware someone had tampered with the safe when you went to open it the next time and your code didn't work (or if they were sloppy and just left the door open).

November 13th, 2006, 21:37
There was a case several years ago where a Bangkok hotel employee figured out how to get into the safes. What they did was smear a very light layer of vaseline on the safe's number keys. They could then tell which keys had been touched by the guest, and from there, it was a simple matter of trying various combinations of those numbers until the safe popped open. Pretty clever, actually. So, no -- I wouldn't rely too much on those safes. My solution is just to never travel with anything valuable, and withdraw money from ATM's in small amounts only as I need it.

November 14th, 2006, 00:21
I have every confidence in the integrity of the system.
A few months ago at Ambiance the battery of mine died while it was closed.
The hotel employee who attended to the problem required me to be with him to provide the code and then phoned a number on his mobile. He was then given some sort of over-ride code which opened the door and allowed a new battery to be fitted.
He then reset it and told me to put in a new code after he'd gone.
The problem could not have been handled better.

November 14th, 2006, 01:12
I have every confidence in the integrity of the system.
A few months ago at Ambiance the battery of mine died while it was closed.
The hotel employee who attended to the problem required me to be with him to provide the code and then phoned a number on his mobile. He was then given some sort of over-ride code which opened the door and allowed a new battery to be fitted.
He then reset it and told me to put in a new code after he'd gone.
The problem could not have been handled better.

So, ANYONE in Thailand can just make a call on their mobile phone and get a safe cracking code?

Right! The next thing you're going to tell me is that someone could make a mobile phone call and blow up a bomb!

November 15th, 2006, 00:23
0/10 for comprehension. Read the post again.
The employee was with me in the room, asked for my code and then phoned..... but why am I going through this again when my post explained it?

November 15th, 2006, 08:53
0/10 for comprehension. Read the post again.
The employee was with me in the room, asked for my code and then phoned..... but why am I going through this again when my post explained it?

Well, you'll need to explain then how the code worked when there were no batteries, except DEAD batteries, to let you input the code.

November 16th, 2006, 00:24
This is my last word on this boring subject.
The battery was "dead" in so far that it as not strong enough to undo the catch.
The point of the post was to confirm that opening the door of the safe was only possible in the presence of the code-holder.
I felt that Ambiance handled the problem well and had-and have-every confidence in the management.

November 16th, 2006, 04:32
The battery was "dead" in so far that it as not strong enough to undo the catch.
The point of the post was to confirm that opening the door of the safe was only possible in the presence of the code-holder.
I felt that Ambiance handled the problem well and had-and have-every confidence in the management.

There was no power? But there WAS enough power to unlatch it? Or how did you open it again? Hmmm.

How do you know it was safe only in front of the cardholder? It seems to me that IF the battery went out then there would be no memory it and no need to ask the last security number.

Well, I don't mind saying that something still smells pretty fishy to me! It doesn't take a geenyus. But what was between you and the manager is, of course, none of MY business.