PDA

View Full Version : Shortest Holiday in LOS you have ever taken?

colmx
January 24th, 2006, 04:07
I was talking with Bf earlier and joked that maybe i would fly from Ireland to Thailand for a weekend trip sometime in Feb and he could meet uo in Bkk...

I remember speaking to an Irish guy who said he used to do it regularly when he was still working....

I know it ridiculous...and a waste of money and probably something i'd never do... but i think its an interesting concept!

So what the shortest holiday you have ever taken in Thailand?
(people living in Asia or Thailand don't count!)

I have never come for less than 16 days... don't think its financially sensible to come for a shorter journey

Smiles
January 24th, 2006, 04:08
2 weeks.

Cheers ...

EDITED! Changed to 2 weeks from 3 . . . I neglected my very first trip, before I met the beloved on it's last night. That one was 1999BB and rather forgettable ('cept for the last night :colors: )

January 24th, 2006, 05:00
My first was three days. I had the good fortune to have a friend who flew Jumbos and he managed to get permission for me to fly from Frankfurt and back on his Thailand flight, in the cockpit (could not be done now of course). That is how I first met Thailand and thought, strewth - this is interesting I am coming back. A weekend trip is a possibility but spending 24 hours on a plane for 24 hours in Bangkok is not cost effective methinks.

Michael
January 24th, 2006, 05:13
The reason for my first visit to Thailand was because I found a very cheap package holiday deal: less than ┬г300 for two weeks in Phuket. Since then I've stuck to at least 3 weeks and preferably 4 or 5 weeks.

painai2
January 24th, 2006, 05:36
One week from Houston, but far too short, what with the jet lag and all. I now make it a minimum 3 weeks or nothing.

sing_lofty_sing
January 24th, 2006, 05:54
Mainly stay for 2 weeks but did stay 5 days once then got a flight change as i felt very ill.
I never know how i got home as i had a bad fever.

2lz2p
January 24th, 2006, 11:13
From my first trip in 1985 for about 5 years I spent 3 weeks each year in Thailand (mostly Pattaya but with short stay in Bangkok and side trips - once to Chaing Mai, antoher time to Phuket, etc.). Then I met someone special and started visting twice a year for two weeks each visit - sometimes a day or two longer if I could work it in conjunction with a US Holiday. Then upon retirement a little over 3 years ago, I came here to live (yes, with the same someone special that I met 15 years ago).

cottmann
January 24th, 2006, 11:17
was four days = a break in transit from Australia to Japan via Singapore, but worth every cent.

January 24th, 2006, 11:43
I came for two weeks once and it was OK for a taste, but really, anything less than a month is too short a time.

January 24th, 2006, 12:26
I just returned the day before yesterday from an eight day trip to Phuket. It was long enough to stay in one place that isn't as crazy as Bangkok or Pattaya.

Generally I like to spend more time but that was about all the time off work I could afford to take. Living in Australia Thailand is only a short nine hour plane ride away.

It was my third trip to Thailand in 2 years.

January 24th, 2006, 13:54
I rarely go for more than 7 nights,back in March I went for 5 nights.
Look in the newspapers here in Eastern Australia and north Australia you will find Travel agents advertising 4 night packages to Phuket,4 nights/5 days getaway.The papers are full of them,even Quantarse were advertising 3 nights,4 days last week in BKK.
I get about 7 to 8 weeks holiday a year so go 7 nights means i can have a quick break go back to work for 2 months then go again.It helps to have a good boss.My boss is from Canadian.

Dodger
January 24th, 2006, 17:15
My first 4 or 5 trips were business related. My stays varied between 3 days and 2 weeks, sometimes giving me a free weekend to visit the gay venues in either BKK or PTY.

I left the company and started working independently around 1999. My first official (non-working) holiday after that was 2 weeks...then extended to 3 weeks at two visits per year...then 4 weeks twice per year...then 5 weeks twice per year...then 6 weeks twice per year...then 7 weeks twice per year.

Tell me I didn't get addicted...LOL!

I'm now settled in a routine where I work in the U.S/Canada 8 months a year - and reside in LOS for 4 months a year. I plan to continue this life style for the next 8-10 years until early retirement...then it's la gon U.S.

mai pen rai

January 25th, 2006, 21:09
My shortest trip so far has been 13 nights in Thailand - my latest trip!

2lz2p - hope I got that right? Please tell me more about your 15, now 18 year relationship? 16 months for me so far.........

January 25th, 2006, 22:02
9 days and I have a six day trip coming up. I live in the States.

2lz2p
January 26th, 2006, 12:21
2lz2p - hope I got that right? Please tell me more about your 15, now 18 year relationship? 16 months for me so far.........

Rich, sent you a private message.

January 26th, 2006, 12:22
Six days ? and your coming from America?
Mate it takes you 2 days to get to Thailand!

You see i can leave Sydney airport at 530pm and be in Bangkok at 1045pm about 5 and a half hours later but you have to go for over a long time.Dont do it mate,please.

lonelywombat
January 26th, 2006, 13:03
You see i can leave Sydney airport at 530pm and be in Bangkok at 1045pm about 5 and a half hours later but you have to go for over a long time.Dont do it mate,please.

5.30 pm is actually 1.30 pm in LOS so it takes 9.15 hours for you to arrive at 10.45 in Thailand.

Going back if you leave at 5.30 it is actually 9.30 sydney time

you arrive in sydney at 6.30 am the following day still a 9 hour flight arrive 13 hours after you leave Bangkok

even a 9 year old can work that out.

January 26th, 2006, 13:54
:cheers: Mate you really should be doing what this bloke does instead of sitting on your big bum.
www.walksydneystreets.net (http://www.walksydneystreets.net)

paulg
January 26th, 2006, 16:07
:cheers: Mate you really should be doing what this bloke does instead of sitting on your big bum.

I visit LOS much more frequently than You and dont brag about it.

You were coming in february and a lot of people changed their plans to stay at Montys, because of you.

you still dont understand that 5 hour flight from Sydney is a 13 hour return.

How can you calculate the parking times in your job, if you do not understand basic figures.

January 28th, 2006, 20:47
:cheers: I will be going when your going in April,since you havnt been there since Sept 05.

January 28th, 2006, 20:49
I dont know what your going on with Pauly baby about parking,but to tell you the truth i havnt stayed at Montys my last 2 visits ,so need to change your plans.Im glad you changed your name from Lonely Wombat to Paulg,he also has a parking fetish.WE ALL KNOW ITS YOU LONELY WOMBAT ,MATE IM VERY VERY VERY SMART,DONT PEE ON MY LEG AND TELL ME ITS RAINING!
Tell me if im right,you left Bangkok on Saturday 24th Sept 05 :glasses4:

January 28th, 2006, 23:45
I am still working so most times 12 to 14 nights in bkk and pattaya plus 15 hours each way via dubia to and from the uk

January 29th, 2006, 00:50
Paulg wrote

You were coming in February and a lot of people changed their plans to stay at Monty's, because of you.

I hope not many people changed there plans to stay at Monty's, i never seen on this forum people complain about there stay in Monty's. It is not mrsydney go is running Monty's, but Monty.
If i was booking at Monty's i never chaings my stay at Monty's for go ever stay there at the same time .

January 29th, 2006, 01:04
Via Japan Airlines, Los Angeles to Osaka is 12 hours, one hour layover and then 6 hours to Bangkok. Return flight is usually 2 hours shorter with good jet streams. :ufo:

January 29th, 2006, 01:11
Baziel,dont you worry about it,LONELY WOMBAT likes to change his posting name frequently he has about 3 of them .Now he s paulg.
I dont know if you seen LONELY WOMBATS pic Baziel,but here he is here,the poor old bastards 91 so i try to be gentle with him.He gets a big angry if he doesnt walk his streets.

dab69
January 29th, 2006, 02:44
so WHY DO they fly from LAX north to Alaska first always instead of heading str8 west?

January 29th, 2006, 04:18
The world is roundish and that is how it works. When 747's first installed tv's with the navigational maps, I had asked the flight attendant when are we going to turn east...in my head (not scientific one for sure) I still don't understand, but the captain always gets to my destination.

January 29th, 2006, 06:08
Download Google Earth (http://earth.google.com/downloads.html) and spin it round till you can line up LA, Anchorage, Osaka, Hong Kong and Bangkok roughly in a straight line and forget those class room projections you saw as a child.

January 29th, 2006, 16:00
so WHY DO they fly from LAX north to Alaska first always instead of heading str8 west?

Someone told me to stretch a piece of string, on a globe, from L.A. to Narita. The reason became clearer.