PDA

View Full Version : Taxi driver 'sacrificed himself for democracy'

November 2nd, 2006, 14:16
Family calls him hero; Nuamthong 'couldn't live with martial law'

Despite wide public speculation about the motive behind Nuam-thong Phaiwan's decision to take his own life in the early hours of yesterday, his family and democracy fighters declared the 60-year-old taxi-driver had died a heroic death.
His grieving wife, Boonchu, appeared to still be in shock and could only mutter a few words after learning about his dramatic death from their neighbours, but managed to announce she is proud of her husband.
"I couldn't be more sad losing the love of my life and the leader of my family. I didn't think he would be this brave, but I'm very proud of him for sacrificing for the country," Boonchu, 51, told reporters.
In fact, Nuamthong survived his first attempt to sacrifice his life for democracy on September 30 when he spray-painted his purple taxi with the words "[coup] destroys the country" and "suicide" before slamming his vehicle into a tank at the Royal Plaza in central Bangkok.
On October 14, just two days after he was dismissed from hospital where he was treated for injuries he received in the crash, he attended the commemoration of the 33rd anniversary of the people's victory in fighting for democracy. Nuamthong told an iTV reporter on that day that he did not want to live under the dictatorial regime any more.
iTV did not release the interview with Nuamthong until after his death yesterday because of martial law. However, the broadcast of the tape was brought to an abrupt end because of a reported phone call from the director of Channel 5, which is owned by the military.
Instead, journalist Jom Petchpradap of iTV said on a late night programme that Nuam-thong called him on Tuesday night asking him to keep the interview tape because the late taxi-driver was preparing to "do something".
Nuamthong had planned a meaningful death by choosing to kill himself during the month of October, which symbolises the Kingdom's two most important pro-democracy uprisings. But he changed his mind about hanging himself in front of the October 14, 1973 Memorial because the place was crowded and he was afraid of intervention.
Nuamthong, however has missed a special day that any proud parent would look forward to: his daughter Sawida, 23, was to have her graduation ceremony on Sunday.
In his farewell letter to the nation, in which the last paragraph addressed his family, Nuamthong asked his wife and children to be proud of him..........
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11 ... 017813.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/02/headlines/headlines_30017813.php)

Suicide is treated with sensitivity by officials

Taxi driver Nuamthong Phaiwan's suicide in a lone protest against the September 19 coup has become one of the most sensitive political events since the overthrow six weeks ago.

A score of senior police showed up at his funeral at Wat Bua Kwan in Nonthaburi yesterday to "keep the peace" while pro-democracy groups sent representatives and flower wreaths to honour his "heroic" death.
The van carrying his body to the Oct 14, 1973 Memorial on Rajdam-noen Avenue for bathing rituals had to turn around after the chief police officer at Nonthaburi stopped it from going onto the expressway.
"For the sake of keeping the peace, please have his funeral at a temple," Pol Gen Wasant told Nuamthong's wife and pro-democracy activists accompanying the body.
Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said he was saddened by the news but doubted there would be copycat suicide bids.
"We can talk to find ways to solve our problem and explain reasons for the coup," he told reporters.
But former senator and democracy fighter Prateep Ungsongtham Hata believed otherwise.
"Uncle Nuamthong has made the biggest sacrifice for democracy," Prateep declared. "I fought for democracy all my life but don't have the courage to do as much as he did.
"Let me tell you, Nuamthong will inspire a lot more people to fight for the right thing, for the country. He is a tip of the iceberg, of people who are discontented with the coup. They may find their ways to express themselves too if the coup group continue to underestimate the power of the people."
Army spokesman Gen Akara Tipparoj apologised yesterday for the comment he made a month ago that "nobody would hurt themselves for political ideology" after Nuamthong rammed his taxi into a tank at the Royal Plaza on September 30 in protest against the coup.
Nuamthong wrote in his farewell letter that he found Akara's remark an insult and wanted to prove the military general wrong.
"I'll attend his funeral and make merit in his name. What happened was that he might have been too rigid in his ideological belief and did not get a sufficient explanation [about the good side of the coup]," Akara said........
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11 ... 017812.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/02/headlines/headlines_30017812.php)

CNS worried by Taxi driver's death

Sonthi admits he is concerned, CNS monitoring situation closely,
Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, leader of the Council for National Security, admitted on Thursday that the death of pro-democracy taxi driver caused the CNS to worry about the political situation
"I worry about the country," Sonthi said when asked if the CNS feared that the death would be cited as a cause to protest against the coup makers.

The man hanged himself on a pedestrian flyover in front of Thai Rath head office late Tuesday night, a month after ramming his taxi into a tank in a protest against the coup.

Sonthi said the CNS was closely monitoring the situation and watching political movements in several provinces as well as checking reports that a protest was planned at Sanam Luang.

The Nation

Aunty
November 2nd, 2006, 17:04
I worry about this death. Did he really take his own life, or was his 'suicide' assisted for his past misdeeds?

Monty-old
November 2nd, 2006, 23:10
It is quite plane to everyone that the the poor man was a nut case, He was not in his right mind , I feel sorry for his family & friends .
Let the man rest in Peace.

November 2nd, 2006, 23:24
Family calls him hero; Nuamthong 'couldn't live with martial law'

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11 ... 017813.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/02/headlines/headlines_30017813.php)

Suicide is treated with sensitivity by officials

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11 ... 017812.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/02/headlines/headlines_30017812.php)

CNS worried by Taxi driver's death

The Nation

You see how much space you can save by refraining from your obsession with copy & pasting?

November 2nd, 2006, 23:27
Or just don't do it at all, since we all read the Nation anyway. Ho hum.

November 2nd, 2006, 23:32
It is quite plane to everyone that the the poor man was a nut case, He was not in his right mind , I feel sorry for his family & friends .
Let the man rest in Peace.

Right...he was such a nutter that our wonderful "government" sent armed soldiers down to iTV to prevent them from running a detailed story.

November 2nd, 2006, 23:49
'DEMOCRACY MARTYR'
iTV rapped for report on driver's final words

Soldiers sent to broadcaster's newsroom; reporter queried

Fearing the highly publicised suicide of taxi driver Nuamthong Phaiwan could trigger a pro-democracy revolt against the September 19 coup-makers, the military yesterday reprimanded iTV for reporting the final message of the man who killed himself to protest against the coup.
An additional 20 soldiers were dispatched to the station after a phone call from a high-ranking military officer to iTV's managing director, Songsak Premsuk, and news editors to warn them that the Council for National Security (CNS) was disturbed by the station's reporting on the suicide.

A source from iTV's newsroom said the CNS intervention might have been prompted by fear iTV was trying to help deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Another officer from the CNS secretariat called iTV reporter Jom Petchpradab to ask why he conducted an interview with Nuam-thong two weeks prior to his suicide.

Jom got an exclusive interview with Nuamthong on October 14, while he was attending commemorations of the 33rd anniversary of the 1973 pro-democracy uprising. Nuamthong had just recovered from injuries caused by his first suicide attempt on September 30, in which he rammed his taxi into a tank at the Royal Plaza.
The station did not air the interview initially because of martial law restrictions, but decided to release it after Nuamthong's suicide.
Jom said he told the officer, whose name he could not remember, that he did the interview because of Nuamthong's strong faith and willingness to sacrifice for democracy.

"I reassured the officer that I was not involved in any conspiracy against the CNS, nor am I a part of the 'undercurrent'," Jom told The Nation, referring to the CNS' term for an alleged pro-Thaksin movement. "I also told him that I would feel sorry if the interview tape were used to serve ill intentions."

The Army's Civil Affairs Department yesterday reportedly sent a letter to the six public TV channels summoning their news editors for instruction today on "constructive reporting for peace of the nation".

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont met with Nuamthong's wife, Boonchu yesterday to express his condolences and gave her Bt20,000. Surayud also asked Nonthaburi Governor Pranai Suwannarat to oversee and assist the funeral arrangements.
About 200 people attended the second night of Nuamthong's funeral at Wat Bua Kwan yesterday. Among them were military and police officers, politicians from the Thai Rak Thai Party and National Human-Rights Commissioner Jaran Dithapichai.

Wreaths sent by the coup group, including Surayud and CNS chairman General Sonthi Boonyatrat-glin, were placed side-by-side with those sent by anti-coup and pro-democracy groups.
Boonchu read out Nuamthong's farewell letter found beside his body on Tuesday night.

Dr Sant Hathirat, representing pro-democracy organisations, read a statement declaring Nuamthong a "democracy martyr".
Funeral rites for Nuamthong will continue at Wat Bua Kwan today and on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The cremation will be held on Thursday.

Subhatra Bhumiprabhas
The Nation

November 3rd, 2006, 06:59
One day, in the not-too-distant future, people will be laying wreaths at the foot of a statue of this man. The Thai equivalent of that lone Chinese guy facing down the tanks in Tiananmen Square. RIP.