PDA

View Full Version : gay-friendly, good location in Taipei

gearguy
October 31st, 2006, 09:58
Anyone have recommendations on a place to stay, gay-friendly, good location in Taipei?

[/quote]

October 31st, 2006, 11:17
Anyone have recommendations on a place to stay, gay-friendly, good location in Taipei?

Gay-friendly, gay-friendly, gay-friendly.

Why do people think that hotels give a shit who you sleep with? In Taipei, they certainly couldn't give a toss.

October 31st, 2006, 11:45
I haven't tried any of the gay hotels in Taipei (there are a few, apparently), however I have never had a problem bringing a friend back to any hotel in Taipei.

Which hotel you choose depends on budget and location, of course, but here are some notes on places I've stayed, with Mandarin pin yin pronunciation for those I remember:

Top End:

My favourite for quality of hotel and location is the Grand Formosa Regent Taipei (Jing Hwa Jo Dien). They went through a thorough renovation (actually the hotel was fine before) during an identity crisis (it was a Four Seasons for a while), so decor is fresh and nice. The standard rooms are spacious, and business faicilities are very good. The location is good for Japanese food, shopping, and the really local gay karaokes, as well as proximity to the Shilin night market. It is also convenient for business appointments in Chung Shan North Road area, and relatively (!!) close to the airport, not too far from the domestic airport (10 mins taxi), and is on the MRT.

My second favourite is the Grand Hyatt (Kai Yue Fan Dien) -- again, nice rooms, and excellent overall quality. This location is convenient for New York New York (great restaurants), Brown Sugar (best jazz club in Taipei), and the Jing Hwa shopping centre (Lowry's Prime Rib!). For business this is the closest decent hotel to Nei Hu (business district where most IT distributors and manufacturers are), and it is on the MRT. Taipei 101 is within walking distance, and the domestic airport is nearby (5-10 mins by taxi).

The Far East Plaza (Yuen Dong Da Jo Dien) is a beautiful hotel -- I've not stayed there but I have seen the rooms and the facilities. If you are dealing with Tier-1 IT multinationals or banking and finance companies, it is a great location, and the trendy night life district surrounds it. This is also probably the most expensive hotel in Taipei (at least, their corporate discount is the lowest.

Mid-Range:

The Lai Lai Sheraton Hotel (Lai Lai da jo dien) is in central Taipei, so close to nearly everything. It is also walking distance to Funky, and a short taxi ride from Cafe Fresh (best gay pub/club in Taipei). I have not stayed there since their recent renovations, but I've heard that it is quite good.

The Howard Plaza (Foo Hwa da jo dien) is also very centrally located (short cab ride to everything), and is convenient to the two major arteries (Sz Ming Da Dau for E/W and Chong Shan Bei Lu for N/S), as well as the MRT and of course the gay pubs. If you stay there make sure that your travel agent specifies a room with an outside window, otherwise you will have a stale view of the hotel lobby.

Low End:

K Hotels (Ke Da Jo Dien) are very basic, clean hotels that offer a pleasantly designed room and free broadband for less than $50 USD per night. They have locations around the city, so pick where you want to be.

The Riverview Hotel (How Jing da jo dien, hsi men ding) is also a very comfortable hotel, situated in the young and trendy Hsi Men Ding neighbourhood of Taipei. It is very convenient for motorway access, and apparently there are a lot of gay establishments (pubs, saunas, clubs) opening in this area.

Shite:

Don't waste your time with the Rebar Holiday Inn -- the hotel is absolutely awful (manky carpet, ugly unrenovated rooms, non-working Internet) -- the only plus is that it is next to the domestic airport, but it is not worth that convenience.

The Crowne Plaza is near the Rebar Holiday Inn -- more expensive, but no more service.

I would not recommend the really cheap hotels in Hsi Men Ding, such as East Dragon, unless you really are on that sort of budget.

Avoid the hotels near the central train station -- cleanliness is a problem, as is noise.

Small bits of Magic:

DO go to the Shi Lin night market. Try the local sausages with fresh garlic inside, the steamed stinky tofu and, if you are adventurous, spicy stewed stinky tofu with duck's blood.

Go to a local beer pub (like Beer Station in Shi Lin / Tien Mu), and try local Taiwan beer with duck's tongues and the baby prawns that you eat the whole thing (shell included)

Try spicy Taiwan hot pot -- again, with tons of Taiwan Beer

Try Zen Zhu Nai Cha -- the Taiwan milk tea with chewy balls (I forget the English word for them)

Get a local person to take you for Schoai Zhao (dumplings), Xiao Long Bao (dragon pork dumplings), and Niao Ro Mien (beef noodles)

Try the local Taiwan High Mountain Oolong tea, or if you are feeling flush, Ah Li San Cha

Get your colleagues/friends to have you taste Kaoh Liang (local fire water) -- just once!

DO bring a Mandarin phrase book with you -- English is not one of Taiwan's fortes, and you will also find people to be very friendly if you speak a little bit of Chinese. If you have the courage to learn a few words of Tai-yu (local dialect), people will be even kinder. Small gestures such as saying 'do shia' for 'thank you' go a long way.

DO have an afternoon of shopping in Hsi Men Ding -- lots of cuties to cruise, and there are great coffee and tea shops.

October 31st, 2006, 11:52

Gay-friendly, gay-friendly, gay-friendly.

Why do people think that hotels give a shit who you sleep with? In Taipei, they certainly couldn't give a toss.

Totally agree for Taipei. Asia-wide I've only had a problem in Tokyo, and then only with the mid-range hotels. Big hotels such as Century and Park Hyatt, New Otani, and Tokyo chain don't seem to notice or care who you bring home.

Smiles
October 31st, 2006, 19:18
" ... Shite: Don't waste your time with the Rebar Holiday Inn ... "
Sounds real cozy. Wonder if the advertising dept has fun with double entendres? If not, they should.
I love my hotels iron hard and long (lame!).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Images/rebar.jpg

Cheers ...

November 13th, 2006, 21:55
A friend found a nice hotel for me this trip -- in Hsi Men Ting, 4 minutes walk from the Hsi Men MRT stop and 5 minutes walk from the new gay scene. www.wonstor.com.tw (http://www.wonstor.com.tw) -- Wonstar Hotel (I know, the name does not sound the least bit attractive!). Nice big bed, high speed Internet, decent breakfast and excellent value -- not to mention that it is convenient for transport. They offer airport pickup (Nissan Teana) for 1300 NTD -- the same price as taxis at the airport.

I should also mention the newest gay neighbourhood within HsiMenTing -- Chengdu Lu, Lane 10. Exit 6 from Hsi Men station or taxi to the corner of Chengdu Lu and Zhong Hwa Lu. Cross Chengdu Lu from exit 6, and turn right behind the old brick theatre. There are currently 3 gay pubs in the alley: Bear Bar, G Men, and Cafe Dalida (my favourite...). All alfresco, quite cruisy but charmingly discreet.

If you are drinking at Dalida, there are two restaurants at the end of the alley -- both of which will deliver to your table at the bar. We tried the Taiwan crispy fried chicken last night -- quite nice with Taiwan beer, especially if you are too lazy (or pissed) to go to a restaurant.

If you are staying for more than a few days, make sure that you purchase your SIM card at the airport, as it's the only place that non-residents can get them now!

Brad the Impala
November 14th, 2006, 00:03
Mumbaighost, Thanks for your advice and useful tips. I have happy memories of six months spent in Taiwan a few years ago. Your posts reminded me of this, and perhaps it's time to go again.

gearguy
November 14th, 2006, 08:51
Thanks for the great and informative posts!

gearguy
November 14th, 2006, 08:53
for the same reason I stay at Tarantawan and not Siam Heritage when I am in BKK.

November 15th, 2006, 14:54
Gearguy and Brad you are both most welcome!

As it happens, I will be visiting Taipei every other week for the forseeable future (after a 2 year absence), and thus will write more about hotels, gay life and even restaurants if people are interested (?)

Just an update on this hotel (Wonstar - yes I know, awful name!) -- I said before that it was a 4 minute walk from the MRT -- but discovered this morning that there is a 'secret' completely unmarked entrance to the MRT just across the street (so on the opposite of Zhong Hwa Lu, for those who are familiar with Hsi Men district). You still need to walk the 4 minutes, but at least you are inside and thus protected from the rain! Also definitely no problems with bringing guests back to the Wonstar -- I got a wink and a sweet smile from the night manager when my ex bf came in with me after dinner last night, and judging by some of the colourful clothing I saw at breakfast, I am not the only poofter in the house this week!

November 25th, 2006, 17:02
I read the title as "gay fornication" and was somewhat disappointed to find people writing about hotels

gearguy
November 26th, 2006, 00:11
of course I need to learn how to spell as well.

November 26th, 2006, 08:48
I'm going to Taipei today, and will be there for a week -- I will try to report on fornication this time ;-)

gearguy
November 28th, 2006, 06:10
Friend of mine told me there is a bathhouse near the Won Star hotel, but he couldn't remember the street and number. Anyone have any info?

November 28th, 2006, 07:27
Friend of mine told me there is a bathhouse near the Won Star hotel, but he couldn't remember the street and number. Anyone have any info?Might something on this jog his memory - http://www.utopia-asia.com/taiwtaip.htm ?

gearguy
November 28th, 2006, 07:56
and it did:
Rainbow
2/F No.142 Kunming St at Chengdu Rd (one block from Han Sauna and around the corner from Relax & Royal Spa), 2370-2899. The most popular gay sauna in town even though its an aging facility. No sign, but once you get to the address you can't miss the exterior and stair hallway plastered with rainbow flags and banners. Large bath and scrub area, steam, dark video room, reading and TV lounge. Lots of private cabins on the upstairs floors. Busy, big, and well-worn working-class type of place

November 28th, 2006, 08:00
There are a few saunas in Hsi Men Ding area -- one notorious one where a corpse was found only because it began to stink, the Rainbow which is young sticky rice, and the Office which is meant to be all ages, shapes and sizes. I've only been to the Office, once, but that was a while back and on a very quiet weekday, so not much to say about it. It would be great to hear from others who have had more experiences with local venues!

The 'poofs alley' in Hsi Men has more customers this week than last time (despite the miserable rain), thus it would appear that word is getting round. Cafe Dalida is still very charming -- about 40% foreigners and 60% cute lads. Lots more cute puppies in the bear bars -- a very good sign!

November 28th, 2006, 08:37
well-worn working-class type of place

In other words, a dump.

Don't expect to find a Babylon in Taipei. The saunas there are of somewhat different quality.