PDA

View Full Version : No swinging in Bangkok

October 26th, 2006, 18:08
Work has commenced on the dismantling and removal of Bangkok's 224-year-old Giant Swing.

Once the massive, red wooden landmark is completely taken apart archaeologists will start digging the national historic site for relics.

The Giant Swing is known in Thai as Sao Ching Cha. It is located on Bamrungmuang Road in front of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration offices.

The five-metre front arch was the first piece taken down yesterday. Designed in the classic Thai style it will be sent to the Forest Industry Organisation of Thailand in Ayutthaya where it will be used as a model for a replica expected to be completed in November. A new swing will be back on site sometime in December.

The 16-metre-tall pillars and its four props will be removed later and kept at Ayutthaya. They were initially destined for the Devasathan, or Brahmin Temple. However, it proved too small to house the pieces.

Phraratchakhroo Vamathep-munee, the head priest of the Brahmins, will designate an auspicious time to move the new Giant Swing to Bangkok. A ritual will be held during its placement at the site.

The original swing was built during the reign of King Rama I. The present landmark was completed in 1920. The front arch is from the original.

The swing has been restored several times. It was once struck by lightning and was accidentally set on fire decades ago.

The Nation

I read that they used to have competitors - young men swinging and trying to grab at a distant bag of money. It was stopped due to many fatalities. I thought that the support columns were made from single teak trees and canot be replace as there are no trees now of that height?