PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok to Samui

October 24th, 2006, 23:08
Is there any other way to go to Koh Samui apart from flying Bangkok Airways which I find the fare rather too high?

October 24th, 2006, 23:12
Bus or train to Surat Thani, then a bus to the port, and finally a ferry from there. Probably a 20-hour ordeal altogether. Are you really that cheap?

October 25th, 2006, 05:04
You could probably hire a taxi to get you to Surat Thani. A lot more expensive than a bus but defintely faster and more comfortable. I would guess about 2000B + gas each way (3000B?).
In June I paid around 6000B round trip to fly to Samui. Its really not that bad (though probably more right now in high season).

And once you get to Samui you need a way to get around. Taxis are 200B and they will NOT put on the meter. Busses 60B minimum and no negotiation. Its an expensive place to visit now. No longer a backpacker's paradise.

billyhouston
October 25th, 2006, 05:26
I have flown to Surat with One2Go (by Orient Thai), got the airport bus to Don Sak and then the ferry to Samui. I refuse, on principle, to be ripped off by Bangkok Airways whether it's to Samui, Luang Prabang or Yangon. In all cases there are alternatives!

lonelywombat
October 25th, 2006, 06:10
Is there any other way to go to Koh Samui apart from flying Bangkok Airways which I find the fare rather too high?

this is from the gaykohsamui.net website

Getting to Koh Samui and Away

Air Bangkok Airways has frequent daily flights between Samui, Bangkok, Phuket and Krabi. Bangkok Airways offers direct international services to and from Singapore and Hong Kong. Berjaya Airlines of Malaysia has direct flights to and from Kuala Lumpur.

Samui Airport exit tax for domestic flights 300 baht for domestic flights and 500 baht for international and international transfer flights.

Thai Airways and other discount carriers such as AirAsia.Com Thailand fly from major airports to Suratthani - requires ferry crossing.

Train A train service runs between Bangkok and Samui via Suratthani - requires ferry crossing.

Bus There are a number of Bus services from Bangkok, Phuket via Suratthani - also requires ferry crossing.

Car Self Drive to and Samui via hourly passenger/vehicular ferry services. There is a good highway and expressway road system on the mainland leading to all major destinations. Major Vehicle hire companies and small family businesses abound on Samui.

Boat Raja Ferrys and Seatran Ferrys offer a range of crossings to and from Samui to Koh Phangan and Suratthani. Vehicular ferries take about 1.5 hours to make the crossing between Samui and Donsak (about 40 minutes drive away from Suratthani). Smaller passenger only express services make the trip in about 45 minutes.