View Full Version : Sad News

October 22nd, 2006, 21:22
I am posting to inform board members of the death of John ( Jonno) Reid from Surrey England at the age of 54, he passed away in Bangkok on October 20th.

John was a long term ( 9 years) resident of Pattaya and used to post to this board and its predecessors since the early days. I am sorry I do not know of John's board identity but he visited Pattaya every second weekend from Bangkok where he had moved back in March and spent much of his time at the Thais4Life Bookshop in Pattaya and was distinctive with his mop of dark curly hair and his infectious laughter.

John moved to Bangkok in March where he had since been helping refurbish three old houses that are used to help the homeless and provide a drop-in centre for some of Bangkok's destitutes.

John was working on this refurbishment when he complained of a severe headache and a few minutes later collapsed. I am given to understand that he was reached by a medical team within 15 minutes of collapsing but was pronounced dead at the scene.

I saw John just three weeks ago to discuss with him the progress of the project which he had taken on and it was clear from his enthusiasm that it was his pride and joy. He was in good health and keen to commence work on yet another building.

We are making arrangments for a funeral service - subject to his only remaining relative in England agreeing - to be held in Bangkok as was his wish.

His dedication to the refurbishment project will be a permanent reminder of his determination to make a difference to those worse off than himself and the distress of his fellow Thai workers on the project speak volumes as to the high regard he was afforded by them.

bing
October 23rd, 2006, 13:03
I don't think I knew your friend but l do like the Thai4Llife project, and if he was a supporter of it, there is no doubt he had an altruistic personality, and we will all be poorer for his absence. The American Indian culture had a saying, "No one is dead as long as their name is remembered."