PDA

View Full Version : darn mozzies

October 21st, 2006, 04:49
Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice?

I plan to spend a week in November sat on a Beach. I was thinking Ko Samet, but have read apparently thereтАЩs a particularly high number of mosquitoes there? My body seems to react particularly badly to them. So, was thinking maybe I go to Koh Chang, Koh Samui or Phuket instead. Which is the best place to avoid mozzies, or am I just going to have to accept being eaten alive wherever I go?

Thanks!
Steve

Monty-old
October 21st, 2006, 08:41
Just buy a can or two of OFF,
You can get it most good supermarkets,
The little buggers will leave you alone for up 7 hours.
I Have tried on the Thai Boys And vendors at the beach .
Sorry to say it did not work on them.
So I just have to tell them to ////OFF.

TrongpaiExpat
October 21st, 2006, 13:53
The problem with even good repellent is you have to cover every inch of your body, leave one spot repellent free and the buggers find it. Then at night in bed as you rub off the repellent they hit again. Hit the room with insect spray before going to bed. I guess sweating and rubbing would affect it too, therfore no sex. :pale:

October 21st, 2006, 18:27
Little fokkers have eaten me alive! the small ants like my taste too.

I look like i have polka dot skin

October 21st, 2006, 18:40
I Have tried on the Thai Boys And vendors at the beach .
Sorry to say it did not work on them.
So I just have to tell them to ////OFF.

LOL,

So there's no escaping them! Its not just that they go for me, but my skin reacts really badly to them to :(

So no beaches/resorts stand out as being less mozzie prone then others?

jimnbkk
October 21st, 2006, 19:24
Last September when I was waiting for the Thai Airways flight to BKK out of JFK, I was approached by a gentleman from the CDC. He was a doctor (he said) and was conducting a poll/research for the CDC. He wanted to know what inoculations I had taken before embarking on my trip, especially whether I had a Japanese Encephalitis shot. (no) Apparently, this disease has spread to Thailand, and is carried by mosquitoes. The recommendation was that this shot be added to the repertoire of shots taken before visiting Thailand.

I recently asked my own doctor about this and was told that they don't give this shot. I'm going to check around further (Washington DC area) and see if I can find a place to get one of these.

A word to the wise............(?)

October 22nd, 2006, 13:52
Last September ... I was approached by a gentleman from the CDC. He was a doctor (he said) and was conducting a poll/research for the CDC. He wanted to know what inoculations I had taken before embarking on my trip, especially whether I had a Japanese Encephalitis shot. (no) Apparently, this disease has spread to Thailand, and is carried by mosquitoes. The recommendation was that this shot be added to the repertoire of shots taken before visiting Thailand.

I recently asked my own doctor about this and was told that they don't give this shot. I'm going to check around further (Washington DC area) and see if I can find a place to get one of these.

A word to the wise............(?)

I think this was the case a couple of years ago. When my doctor knew I would be travelling to Asia he put me on a course of injections that include the Japanese Encephalitis shot, Hepatitis shots, plus updates for the likes of polio, tetanus shots and so many more that I cannot remember. I think there is low risk of dengue fever (also caused by mosquito's) and I don't think there is any injection for this, although there are anti-malarial tablets you can take if you feel the need - but I don't think this is essential in most cities in Thailand.

Basically, for anyone who is going on a trip I think it is a good idea to visit your doctor/community nurse several weeks before and make enquiries as to what they recommend (some shots have tow stages that need to be spread over several days or weeks). Don't rely on what you have done in the past or on the experiences of people on notice boards, always best to see a healthcare professional.