PDA

View Full Version : Champ Isan (Issan, Esan, Esarn ....etc)

October 20th, 2006, 13:29
Just thought I would drop a note about Champ Isan. Tonight, I am led to believe, they are hosting the American male/female Ferang duo (cannot remember their names) who sing in Thai. I have seen them on the tv a couple of times and my Thai friend loves them - although I think he is just impressed that any Farang can speak Thai let alone sing Thai - he goes nuts when I sing one line from Potato's 'Pahk Dee'.

Hopefully it should be a fun night.

October 20th, 2006, 13:45
Christie and Jonas. If you get near enough to them, ask them how they felt being sexually abused as children growing up in the Children of God cult.

October 22nd, 2006, 14:28
A quick report back on Champ Isan the other night.

What a fabulous evening. Our party of four arrived about 10.30pm and got one of our fave tables, over by the far wall, raised platform with overhead rotating fan and a great view of the stage. I was a little surprised at the 100 baht per person 'door' charge. My friend informed me that you rarely pay for Thai 'superstars' when they play Champ Isan but for this special Farang performance everyone had to pay.

The stage was filled with glamorously dressed dancing girls who underwent several costume changes throughout the night. Normally at Champ Isan you get the dancing boys, but it was a nice change to see all those feathered headresses and sequined stilletoes. The place was busy, if not packed to the very back, with many Thai and Ferang. Most of the Ferang seemed to be of the gay persuasion with Thai boys in tow and several solely Thai groups of gay boys. Christie, for some reason was appearing without her other half, but her reception was rapturous. Her banter, mainly in extremely proficient Thai (some English and a little Cambodian), was greeted with great big smiles and her jokes loudly clapped and appreciated. An energetic and vocally entertaining performance which was melodic for both Thai and Ferang ears and had most of the crowd up and dancing, I was very impressed and my friend said 'Ooh, she speak Thai too much' - which is a good thing. After the show she was available for autographs and pictures, which pleased my friend no end as this was his first picture taken with a 'superstar'.

Also, just to add, the food was up to it's usual tasty Thai standard and I do recommend you try the fish.

A really great evening with a real party atmosphere.

October 22nd, 2006, 15:15
I`ve been there twice in last 10 days.

Great time and great food - got to drink with a few of the dancers too. Will post pics soon.

Only thing i didnt like was the young girl singing with the 10 yr old pelvic thruster boy - funny i suppose but he shouldnt be out so late!

October 22nd, 2006, 22:04
Where is Champ Isaan?

Smiles
October 22nd, 2006, 23:12
" ... Where is Champ Isaan? ... "
I believe "Charm Esarn" is the phonetic (english) spelling that the dance bar uses on their billboard, so I'll use that variation.

Here's map showing the location. Southeast corner of 3rd Rd and South Pattaya Rd:

http://www.photodump.com/direct/sawatdee/pttymapen.jpg

Fairly quiet during the week, it gathers steam on the weekend and is a terrific place to go if you want to join Esarn folks in one of their own haunts. Food is basic but tasty and cheap ... so's the booze.
Been there 5 or 6 times over the years and have always had a great time.

Cheers ...