PDA

View Full Version : Visa By Mail From Consulate In NYC?

Captain Swing
October 16th, 2006, 11:14
I'm leaving for Thailand in three weeks (from the US) and I want to get a tourist visa (I plan to stay for almost 2 months). The website of the consulate in NYC says it takes ten days to get a visa by mail. Do I dare take a chance by sending my passport (and the application, photos, fee) to them in the mail, or should I go to the consulate in person. I live about 60 miles away, and could go in person, but it's a hassle and I'd probably have to go twice. Still, it's less of a hassle than having no passport when it's time to leave. Does anyone have any experience with the NY consulate? Do you think it's too big a risk to try to do it by mail? Thanks.

October 16th, 2006, 14:11
"Apply by mail
You can submit a completed visa application form (must be signed by the applicant) and required documents to:

Royal Thai Consulate-General
351 East 52nd Street
New York, NY. 10022

We require you to enclose a self-addressed envelope size 6"x9" or large enough to fit all passports with sufficient postage stamps. Metered stamps will not be accepted.
Please pay visa fee by money order or a bank check only.
Processing time takes 5 to 7 business days plus mailing time."

Up to you. I did get Visa by mail in the UK and I used an insured post and enclosed a reply envelope the same. It worked fine. If you feel nervous then go and get it but they say it takes 2 days to process.

An alternative is to enter Thailand on a "permission to stay for 30 days for tourism visa free' which US citizens are allowed. You can exit Thailand and then re-enter, even the same day, and get another 30 days ( only 90 days in Thailand in 6 months ) and you need to make sure that your airline will let you board without an airline ticket out of Thailand within the first 30 days.

October 16th, 2006, 20:04
I sent in my passport by first class mail to the Los Angeles Consulate and I had it back in nineteen days. If you do not want to go in person, perhaps you could include a prepaid overnight envelope instead of regular mail. Should quicken the process. Another possibility would be to make a one day trip to NY and have them overnight your passport to your home. Good luck.