PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai boxing in Bangkok

October 12th, 2006, 12:39
A couple friends are visiting BKK over the weekend and may want to see some Muay Thai boxing.

I assume the best place is the stadium on Rama IV Road just down from Lumphini Park? Do they have bouts every night? Is one night better than any other? Do you buy tickets/book reservations in advance, or is it first-come first-served buy tickets at the stadium box office?

What time are the bouts? I think I read that the series of matches run for quite a long time, but that the best bouts are at the end of the evening? Is that true? If so, what time would you suggest getting there?

October 12th, 2006, 19:02
As well as the actual boxing matches, there are also a few boxing gyms behind Suan Lum Night Bazaar. Often see guys training there, from guys who look like professionals, to a few farangs who seem to be learning Muay Thai.
Can be fun to get up close and check out the guys. And you get a real feel for how hard those small guys can kick a bag.

wowpow
October 12th, 2006, 20:31
http://www.bangkok-city.com/muaythai.htm

October 12th, 2006, 21:42
Thanks for the quick replies, since my friends are arriving Saturday morning. I'll see if they are interested in the Saturday evening matches at Lumpini Stadium.

October 12th, 2006, 23:17
I went thinking it was a proper show but turned out to be more of a demonstartion, and a rip off at that! I think it was afternoon/early evening.
Be sure you are attending a genuine fight night and not a tourist trap event! The later in the evening it is the more it is likely to be "real fights". Also, make sure that there are plenty of Thai people goig in too...a good indication.
Gerefan

October 13th, 2006, 04:24
Lumpinee stadium is an institution, if your going to watch Muay Thai anywhere - this is the place to see it, and get the t-shirt. You can buy tickets when you turn up, 1500B for ringside. Usually starts about 6ish - and starts with traditional demonstrations - then on to the actual fights. The main events start about 8ish. If you've not been before, I'd go early - to see it all.

wowpow
October 13th, 2006, 05:45
Both Ratchadamnoen and Lumphini stadiums are serious fighting and often shown on Thai television. They mosty start about 6 p.m. and start with children fighting and work their way up to the heavyweights. I am not sure about current prices but go to the kiosk outside the stadium - not the touts or shops adjacent. It's a bout 1000 baht a seat ringside which is good if you want splashing with blood (OK a tad of exaggeration there) The middle range is about 650 baht and is a bit boring. The back 250 baht is full of Thais gambling and yelling at every blow and enormous fun.

Lumphini stadium is very basic and simple and old. They do have vendors selling iced beers and water. Be warned it can be very viscious. Of the first five fights I saw 2 guys went out on stretchers.

October 13th, 2006, 06:19
Ringside seats are more like B2000 for farang. Get tickets at the window displaying the price in English. There are many touts about outside, but I don't know what they are offering. There are cheaper seats, and a standing room area, but they are somewhat back and separated by wire fences: ringside is the better choice as you'll be there for a few hours.

Proceedings are somewhat slow. The first two rounds are usually sedate as the boxers test each other out. Rounds 3 & 4 are the real thing - and the cheering frenzy from the crowds, back in the standing area, really adds atmosphere. The final (5th) round may again be slow if its clear one boxer is already in front.

The "music" is provided by a live "band" - seen sipping on Pipers 100 when I was last there.

Bob
October 13th, 2006, 09:52
As Teepee mentions, the crowd reaction - especially the occasional screaming back and forth of the wagers - is a lot of fun in itself. I only watched the fights at Lumphini once (I had great front row seats) and, for most of the time, I thought the wagering was more fun to watch than the fights themselves.

anakot
October 13th, 2006, 10:21
How could anyone complain about a group of young tuffs acting tuff...

wowpow
October 13th, 2006, 10:36
TheDingo,
I have checked another two sites, courtesy Google, which plus the one I posted above all state that the ringside seats are 1000 baht per person at both the major Bangkok Muay Thai stadiums.

http://www.hellosiam.com/html/thai_boxing.htm

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/As ... -BR-1.html (http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Thailand/Central_Eastern_Thailand/Bangkok-1445238/Sports_Travel-Bangkok-Thai_Boxing_Muay_Thai-BR-1.html)