PDA

View Full Version : Military extends rule

Aunty
October 11th, 2006, 17:30
Is this a sign of the Thai military starting out as it means to go on?

Another month of Thai martial law

POSTED: 0520 GMT (1320 HKT), October 11, 2006

BANGKOK, Thailand (Reuters) -- Thailand would remain under martial law for about another month as the post-coup government lets political turbulence settle, Defense Minister Boonrawd Somtas said on Wednesday.

"We can't do it now although the situation looks settled. There are still underwater waves," he told reporters.

"I think it may take about a month. We need to wait for the situation to be really resolved."

Boonrawd gave no details of what political undercurrents might be at play with Thaksin Shinawatra, ousted in the September 19 coup, having quit as leader of the Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) party from London, virtually ensuring its break up.

Little opposition to the coup has been evident on the streets of Bangkok, where weeks of street demonstrations against Thaksin, twice a landslide election winner on the back of huge support in the countryside, led to political deadlock.

The military stepped in, saying it feared mass violence as Thaksin supporters in the rural heartland grew agitated.

The soldiers sent in to oust Thaksin were greeted with flowers and food and no one has been arrested yet under martial law, which bans political gatherings of more than five people.

On Wednesday, only 12 people turned up at Bangkok's Democracy Monument for a demonstration against martial law and to lay wreaths at its foot on the 9th anniversary of the "People's Constitution" which the military revoked.

Three policemen watched from a distance and 20 intelligence agents took pictures, but there were no arrests.

"I don't interpret this as a political gathering. It is a typical wreath-laying event that happens all the time at this monument," Police Captain Ubonthep Thesakorn told Reuters.

The new government of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, a retired army chief, said it wanted martial law lifted as soon as possible, but is clearly deferring on the issue to the military, which has retained control of security.

General Winai Phattiyakul, one the coup leaders, told reporters security agencies were weighing the pros and cons of lifting martial law before making a recommendation to the government.

"We need to listen to information from both security agencies and the Foreign Ministry before making a decision," Winai said.
Copyright 2006 Reuters.

edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/10/11/thailand.martial.reut/index.html (http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/10/11/thailand.martial.reut/index.html)

October 11th, 2006, 17:49
Ah ha. No surprise to any of us, eh? Except perhaps young Cedric.

In the 1960's and 1970's, the threat of the Communist bogey-man was used as an excuse for long periods of martial law. Today, it looks like generic "political turbulence" is the new bogey-man.

Either way, martial law is just too convenient -- none of that pesky business about civil liberties, due process, etc., to stand between you and the anihilation of your opponents -- to give up until one absolutely must.

Long live the junta!

October 11th, 2006, 17:53
is Cedric young ?

October 11th, 2006, 17:56
That, and what country does he call his own?

October 11th, 2006, 18:15

He honors us like a cool breeze in the Spring our young admirer ...

BG: I don't see where you claim to be from in ur profile either. However it is assumed to be American.

And assumed retirement visa as well in BKK?

wowpow
October 11th, 2006, 18:16
"Military extends rule" quote Aunty

The Marshall law was issued without a time limit. The civilian PM has now announced a probable ending. Your inflammatory title is thus 'warped". I think they are waiting for the total collapse of the Thai Rak Party.

Surayud: Martial law to stay for now
Gen Sonthi denies law helps in assets probes
Bangkok Post
PRADIT RUANGDIT & ACHARA ASHAYAGACHAT

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont chairs his first cabinet meeting at Government House yesterday. тАФ TAWEECHAI TAWATPAKORN

The interim government will consider lifting martial law when the time is right, but not now, according to Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont. Gen Surayud, emerging from the first cabinet meeting since the government was formed on Sunday, said cabinet ministers discussed the validity of the martial law currently in effect.
''I'd like to say that we recognise people's rights and freedom and never ignore them.

[We] need to wait a while longer for the situation to calm. We will consider lifting martial law as soon as possible,'' the prime minister told reporters at Government House.
The cabinet decided to discuss the possibility of ending martial law with the Council for National Security (CNS), he said.

CNS chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin said officials had to analyse the chances of any political undercurrents. He said it was better to be safe than sorry.
Martial law will be lifted when authorities are confident of security.
''Now, I don't think martial law is troubling people in any region,'' he said.
Gen Sonthi denied the law is intended to help the CNS scrutinise assets of the previous government.

Government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarb said the cabinet discussed the current security situation in detail yesterday although lifting martial law is up to Gen Surayud and the CNS.
Chart Thai party leader Banharn Silpa-archa agrees there is a reason to maintain martial law for the time being.

''Undercurrents certainly exist. This government is facing undercurrents from several elements, both from within and its foes. It is essential to be patient and wait for a while,'' he said.

Personally, Mr Banharn said, he felt the government deserved a chance to prove itself at the job.

Meanwhile, a group of students, lecturers and professionals yesterday protested against Washington for condemning the Sept 19 coup, calling it interference in domestic affairs.

The protesters included lecturers and students from the National Institute of Development Administration, other Bangkok universities and members of the Alliance of Doctors and Nurses for Democracy. They handed a protest letter to the US embassy yesterday.

The protesters insisted the US and Thailand operated under different systems of democracy and that Washington must respect diversity.

The Bush administration has cut military aid to Thailand valued at US$24 million and has remained critical of the appointment of Gen Surayud as interim prime minister, the promulgation of a temporary constitution and the restrictions on civil liberties in the wake of the coup.

Foreign countries did not understand or try to understand the Thai situation on the ground but still commented or sanctioned efforts towards democratic reform, said Sompote Kunnoot, a lecturer at Nida's Graduate Programme in Environmental Management, who was one of the protest leaders.

October 11th, 2006, 19:05

BG: I don't see where you claim to be from in ur profile either. However it is assumed to be American.

I am an American by birth, yes. But I am a long way away from retirement age. I am a self-employed businessman in Thailand, where I have lived since I was a mere sprite.

October 12th, 2006, 11:39

I am an American by birth, yes. But I am a long way away from retirement age. I am a self-employed businessman in Thailand, where I have lived since I was a mere sprite.

Well thanks. More than I asked for.

I don't want to be rude, or take advantage of what is, actually HONESTY) but here goes ANYWAY ... errrr

As to being NOT a "sex tourist": What is it that you have got that puts you where you are?

You don't have to to answer that.

I just note that you seem to HATE "sex tourists".

Me:
American, cauc
Hobbies and Interests: Traveller

October 12th, 2006, 11:45
Not sure I understand the question. Do you mean to ask how I ended up in Thailand to begin with? Well, it was pure luck. At the time, it was the late '80's and I was working for an international corporation that temporarily needed some extra hands in its Bangkok office. They sent me over for what was to have been a two-month assignment, but decided they wanted to keep me here once they had me. I eventually left them after a number of years, and started my own business.

October 12th, 2006, 11:58
Not sure I understand the question. Do you mean to ask how I ended up in Thailand to begin with? Well, it was pure luck. At the time, it was the late '80's and I was working for an international corporation that temporarily needed some extra hands in its Bangkok office. They sent me over for what was to have been a two-month assignment, but decided they wanted to keep me here once they had me. I eventually left them after a number of years, and started my own business.

Fair, enuf. I said you didn't have to answer that.

And I was worried you might tell me that you got a business degree at Stampford or Harvard or something. Whew!

My corporation sent me to Burma for a month in '88. That's how I got started here.

Aunty
October 12th, 2006, 12:42
"Military extends rule" quote Aunty

The Marshall law was issued without a time limit. The civilian PM has now announced a probable ending. Your inflammatory title is thus 'warped"......................

The interim government will consider lifting martial law when the time is right, but not now, according to Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont.

And what the hell does that mean? They'll lift it next week, next month, next year? 2015?

Given that the greatest anti-coup protest to date has been a single disgruntled taxi driver ramming his cab into the side of a tank, (and the taxi came off second best), I fail to see a sea of seething Thais' needing to settle before martial law can be lifted.

Given the peaceful situation on the ground, martial law could be lifted today. The danger here is that the military will always find a reason to extend martial law by a month, or two, or six. I seem to remember that when the military first took over they promised a return to civilian government within weeks. Where's that promise now.? Remember the old saying:- Power corrupts. And absolute power corrupts absolutely. The Generals are only human after all!

Nothing inflammatory in the heading dear, just a pertinent observation so you can stop stamping your ruby slippers!

October 12th, 2006, 13:08

Age is relative isn't it, I mean I think I am old, my sister thinks I am ancient, my nephew thinks I am his daddy, but if you compare my age to the average age of someone who has retired to Pattaya or retired anywhere for that matter, then I suppose I am a foetus. If it's true and Smiles, with all due respect (and I do enormously), is in his late 70's, then I am approximately just over one quarter his age.

Where do I come from? Well this question is not applicable to my situation. It is true I was born, but my family are not native to the place where I was born, they moved there, then they moved again, and they themselves are from different countries. And so on and so on. I spent the first 2-years of my life on the continent of Europe, but I dont pretend to be from the country where I was born or have any desire to want to be, I dont even hold a passport of that country. Then we went back to the Euro zone when I was older, and it wasn't even the same country where I was born. So there. I am international. Not that uncommon these days. :cheers:

October 12th, 2006, 13:23
Where were your parents from, if I may ask? And where did you take your secondary and tertiary schooling?

October 12th, 2006, 13:45

Age is relative isn't it, I mean I think I am old, my sister thinks I am ancient, my nephew thinks I am his daddy, but if you compare my age to the average age of someone who has retired to Pattaya or retired anywhere for that matter, then I suppose I am a foetus. If it's true and Smiles, with all due respect (and I do enormously), is in his late 70's, then I am approximately just over one quarter his age.

Where do I come from? Well this question is not applicable to my situation. It is true I was born, but my family are not native to the place where I was born, they moved there, then they moved again, and they themselves are from different countries. And so on and so on. I spent the first 2-years of my life on the continent of Europe, but I dont pretend to be from the country where I was born or have any desire to want to be, I dont even hold a passport of that country. Then we went back to the Euro zone when I was older, and it wasn't even the same country where I was born. So there. I am international. Not that uncommon these days. :cheers:
Self hating American! Busted!

October 12th, 2006, 13:47
My suspicions exactly. I'll give you 10-1 odds that young Master Cedric carries a US passport.

October 12th, 2006, 13:58
Given the peaceful situation on the ground, martial law could be lifted today. The danger here is that the military will always find a reason to extend martial law by a month, or two, or six.

My guess is that.....if the TRT pary is found guilty by the Constitution Court and is ordered to be dissolved, then without martial law some TRT party members may pay money to people in the countryside to march to Bangkok to protest. The military may therefore want to keep the martial law until after the court case has ended.

October 12th, 2006, 14:09
You don't need martial law to deal with protesters, even violent ones.

October 12th, 2006, 14:29
I still have optimism that the coup military government has good intentions. But don't think they are intentions to turn Thailand into a western style democracy. The faster they move towards dissolving, the better the signs, so any continued delays begin to be troubling.

October 12th, 2006, 15:03
Given that the greatest anti-coup protest to date has been a single disgruntled taxi driver ramming his cab into the side of a tank, (and the taxi came off second best), I fail to see a sea of seething Thais' needing to settle before martial law can be lifted.
!

It's true, and he was an old bugger too, seen to many bloody coups. All in good time Aunty, you dont want to see civil unrest do you, unity and love first?

Someone here was claiming I was an American. I am not. But I am interested to know why they think I might be, gawd forbid, is it something I might have said? I take it back whatever it was.

I love everyone, Americans, Palestinians, Croatians and Kenyans anyone. I just dont agree with everyone. Boyarse my education was mostly spent in International schools and a boarding school in the UK as was the rest of it. Help you any?

October 12th, 2006, 15:18
Helps a bit to explain the superior attitude. We all still want to know what countries passports you hold, and if your parents weren't originally British, where they came from. Were they war refugees from Eastern Europe?

Aunty
October 12th, 2006, 15:42
All in good time Aunty, you dont want to see civil unrest do you, unity and love first? Oh definitely love first. Especially if the lovings coming my way baby.

Someone here was claiming I was an American. I am not. But I am interested to know why they think I might be, gawd forbid, is it something I might have said? I take it back whatever it was.

I love everyone, Americans, Palestinians, Croatians and Kenyans anyone. I just dont agree with everyone. Boyarse my education was mostly spent in International schools and a boarding school in the UK as was the rest of it. Help you any?

I think our dear young Cedric, he of the athletic thighs, the smooth muscled chest, the beautiful brown teats, and the sweetest of slim warm bellies, is our very own Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery. I think he's from either Argentina/Chile or India/ Pakistan.

Where those lonely days, Cedric, lying in your international boarding school bed, listening to the dreary rain of England, close, and yet so far from the beautiful international boys' in the beds all around you. Do you by chance have a tale of the silent longing of love?

October 12th, 2006, 16:27
Helps a bit to explain the superior attitude. We all still want to know what countries passports you hold, and if your parents weren't originally British, where they came from. Were they war refugees from Eastern Europe?

Boygeenyus, what romantic notions you ave. Yes and everything was paid for by a kindly uncle from the aristocracy who took pity on our plight, even though he despised my father because he refused a military posting, but especially me, cause I was a delicate child, we couldn't even afford fish and chips in newspaper like dear Queen Elizabeth enjoyed as a child, hard times they were gov very hard times. I barely had a childhood with all that running from the law, my legs ache to this day.
We wasn't refugees from Eastern Europe, I am sure, we would have ended up in America, paved in gold they say, if we were. My mother tall and elegant though she is, insisted my uncle loved me, and as "we" are a matriarch, sent me packing to all the finest schools from her homeland, the furthest away the better gov. You see I was bloody naughty after I got over my delicate phase, all thanks to my uncle Gotlots, who insisted on a libertine exposure to all that which the finest of society could throw at me, this to spite my father, and there was my dear mother thinking I was getting an education. He even left me the family fortune knowing full well I would squander it on good causes, like save the kitty fund and the Cirencester Park polo club's wives in distress team.

October 12th, 2006, 18:03
I think he's from either Argentina/Chile or India/ Pakistan.

Unlikely the latter, if he truly has a naturally smooth chest.

October 13th, 2006, 11:27
I have to say this thread has veered of topic, but to put our mind to rest once and for all, I hold multiple passports, the most exotic being one from Kenya. No I am not from Pakistan nor from Chile or Argentina, I would love to be from these places especially Argentina. All that endless pampas and ranchy stuff, Argentina would work out very well. I can already see and smell the forests at the end of the dry season, exploding in vast clouds of colourful bloom as far as the eye can see. With no-one and very little except me and my lap top and a few dogs and a glorious blue sky, very difficult not to fall in love. Parts of Thailand are like this as well. Maybe I should become a monk after all.

October 13th, 2006, 11:40
I hold multiple passports, the most exotic being one from Kenya.

A true colonialist; what a surprise!

October 13th, 2006, 11:55
A true colonialist; what a surprise![/quote]

Now as if that wasn't expected. Before my time I am afraid well before my time.