PDA

View Full Version : US develops software that could track us

October 11th, 2006, 12:32
First tracking us. Now the global press. What do u know? It looks like H*d*a has been hired by US Homeland Security to head a "text signature analysis tools" task force to detect journalist's records inclinations toward its policies. Yikes, and I thought she moved to Cambodia or Adelaide or somewhere like that.

So what happened? I don't pay much attention but it appears she's gone from "over there" as well. Who knows what she is doing now?

You'd better tell, because if it was ever determined that you KNEW what was going on about all this and did not act, well, then you could be in trouble. Just a warning!

and ... NO. I will never generate a hit to the bog of shame, so PLEASE BG do NOT post a link to that in here.

It looks to me like HS already decided that human beings can't read anymore, or is that just Americans, Cedric? ...

US develops software that could track global press

WASHINGTON - The US Department of Homeland Security plans to develop software that analyzes and summarizes opinions expressed in articles, providing a possible tool for better monitoring what is written about the United States in the global press.

The Nation

October 11th, 2006, 12:51
About time they started listening and paying attention to what the world is saying about them. Journalistic standards in the states are shocking, you get more proper news about America in Europe than you do in America. There is a serious drive to take back the media by proper journalists there, but when things like ratings stand in the way, they are on a ride to nothing.

October 11th, 2006, 12:56
About time they started listening and paying attention to what the world is saying about them. Journalistic standards in the states are shocking, you get more proper news about America in Europe than you do in America. There is a serious drive to take back the media by proper journalists there, but when things like ratings stand in the way, they are on a ride to nothing.
The New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Los Angeles Times are all great newspapers covering America quite well, thank you very much.

October 11th, 2006, 13:03
The New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Los Angeles Times are all great newspapers covering America quite well, thank you very much.

I'll stay out of this one between you two except to note 1) that the NYT and LAT are some of the very few newspapers (outside Thailand) that I ever quote from, 2) Most Americans watch Fox news now (it IS the undisputed champion), unfortunately.

UR watch you what?

And certainly NOT [b]the BBC.

October 11th, 2006, 13:13
If anyone bothered to read them!

The sorry state of the news media

Today, just more than half of Americans (54 percent) read a newspaper during the week, somewhat more (62 percent) on Sundays, and the number is continuing to drop.1

US Journalism.com

October 11th, 2006, 13:43
That's because, like everyone else in the world, more and more people are getting their news from sources other than old-fashioned newspapers. Television and the internet, for example. And, before you say anything stupid, there ARE superb sources of news on both the television and internet.

October 11th, 2006, 14:32
there ARE superb sources of news on both the television and internet.

I suppose you think that two of them are Fox News and Tbe BBC.

Aunty
October 11th, 2006, 14:41
And what of the newspapers in Thailand? Any discernable change in content or coverage since the coup?

October 11th, 2006, 14:41
Uh, no.

October 11th, 2006, 15:08
I fear there is to be a so-called "expose" in the delightful News Of The World this weekend about a recently arrived person in Pattaya.

be prepared to shocked and enthralled.. :cyclopsani:

October 11th, 2006, 15:10
be prepared to shocked and enthralled.. :cyclopsani:

Ooooh. Would you post it here, in MY thread?

rincondog
October 11th, 2006, 22:57
Most Americans watch Fox news now (it IS the undisputed champion), unfortunately.

Sounds more like Fox propaganda. Actually they are most watched of cable news. They have more viewers than CNN or MSNBC. However, it is fewer than 2 million viewers at the most. The only one on Fox who approaches 2 million is O'Reilly, not a news show. Actually over the last 2 years Fox news viewers have been declining. CBS,ABC and NBC news shows have well over 2 million viewers each. More Americans watch Spongebob than Fox news.

October 12th, 2006, 07:39
the last 2 years Fox news viewers have been declining. More Americans watch Spongebob than Fox news.

That makes sense. I love a news-paper, I don't think they are "old fashioned" as someone here called them, I think that on the contrary, it is just that the American public has dumbed down. Given the quality of journalism on American TV, is it no wonder?

I remember watching the gulf war on CNN and finding it all very exciting, especially the bombing of Tel Aviv by the Iraqi's. OK I was for all intensive purposes just a boy, but how much worse is that, when a child finds war exciting, sensational and compulsive viewing?

Strange how CNN reporters and journalists still hold up the gulf war as being that decisive moment in the history of broadcasting that revolutionised the media, that they were singularly responsible for that "great" achievement. The gulf war certainly launched CNN, It can only be assumed that it was a bitter disappointment that the present war in Iraq was launched from the sea and Kuwait, how tragic that they couldn't sensationalise this one too, and once again harness the worlds attention with their crass subjective journalism, and for this, the war that America had to go it almost totaly alone.

October 12th, 2006, 08:11
Cedric, dear, the American public at large as ALWAYS been dumb...just like the public at large in whatever utopia-on-earth you call home. Oh, and where would that be, by the way, so we can have a chance to attack IT at every opportunity? Too bad six of six Nobel Peace Prizes awarded so far this year have gone to Americans. Just another case of pandering to the sole remaining superpower, without a doubt?

Smiles
October 12th, 2006, 08:46
" ... Strange how CNN reporters and journalists still hold up the gulf war as being that decisive moment in the history of broadcasting that revolutionised the media, that they were singularly responsible for that "great" achievement. The gulf war certainly launched CNN, It can only be assumed that it was a bitter disappointment that the present war in Iraq was launched from the sea and Kuwait, how tragic that they couldn't sensationalise this one too, and once again harness the worlds attention with their crass subjective journalism, and for this, the war that America had to go it almost totaly alone ... "
Oh dear (that "dear" thing is getting over-used ... even the BoyEinstein is employing it now) Cedric finally admitting that he is a complete idiot . . . and in public. And incomprehensible to boot!

Hedda ~ for instance ~ is for sure a certifiable idiot, but is at least comes across as somewhat lucid under pressure (that's the absolute best I can do) and sometimes ~ not always ~ resists the temptation to attempt turning shallow hypothesis into a full blown dialectic.

Not so Young Cedric ("On Ignore" by none other than the curmudgeonly-yet-lovable Colon El Homo Tern), who apparently has never seen an overdone cliche (i.e. in this case, kneejerk and extraordinary anti-Americanism) he hasn't attempted to universalize ad nauseum.

Nice try Ceddy ... keep on happenin' babe.

Cheers ...

cottmann
October 12th, 2006, 08:47
Cedric, dear, the American public at large as ALWAYS been dumb...just like the public at large in whatever utopia-on-earth you call home. Oh, and where would that be, by the way, so we can have a chance to attack IT at every opportunity? Too bad six of six Nobel Peace Prizes awarded so far this year have gone to Americans. Just another case of pandering to the sole remaining superpower, without a doubt?

To be accurate, 5 of 5 Nobel Prizes awarded so far have gone to Americans - the so-called Nobel Prize in Economics was not one of the original prizes established under the Will of Alfred Nobel but was established in 1969 as "The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel."

Nevertheless, the clear sweep so far is a great achievement for Americans. Must be nice for them to know that some Swedes hold them in such esteem.

I wonder who will get the Nobel Peace Prize - awarded by a committee of five persons elected by the Norwegian Storting?

Smiles
October 12th, 2006, 09:03
Even though I think that the USA has essentially ~ and tragically ~ lost it's way (if not it's soul) under Dubya (there's that ol' 'dialectic' again), still ... 8 out of 10 of the top Centres of Learning are within the confines of the territory of The Great Satan ( http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2006/ARWU2006_Top100.htm ).

Obviously Hip Hop or Suburban Angst or Perspectives from the Religious Right have not yet quite taken over as the New Dialogue within academia.

Cheers ....

cottmann
October 12th, 2006, 09:23
Even though I think that the USA has essentially ~ and tragically ~ lost it's way (if not it's soul) under Dubya (there's that ol' 'dialectic' again), still ... 8 out of 10 of the top Centres of Learning are within the confines of the territory of The Great Satan ( http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2006/ARWU2006_Top100.htm ).

Obviously Hip Hop or Suburban Angst or Perspectives from the Religious Right have not yet quite taken over as the New Dialogue within academia.

Cheers ....

Interesting, but limited only to research universities, not to other centres of learning.

Smiles
October 12th, 2006, 09:36
" ... Interesting, but limited only to research universities, not to other centres of learning ... "
If you think Harvard or Stanford, or Yale (or Cambridge or Oxford) are simply research uni's, then you are missing much.

The formal criteria for the listings may have been "research" universities, but it's no coincidence that each one of those on the top 10 list are great "teaching" places as well . . . receiving great benefit for their regular student body by being top notch research labratories "on the side", or even, in the main.

Cheers ...

cottmann
October 12th, 2006, 10:49
" ... Interesting, but limited only to research universities, not to other centres of learning ... "
If you think Harvard or Stanford, or Yale (or Cambridge or Oxford) are simply research uni's, then you are missing much.

The formal criteria for the listings may have been "research" universities, but it's no coincidence that each one of those on the top 10 list are great "teaching" places as well . . . receiving great benefit for their regular student body by being top notch research labratories "on the side", or even, in the main.

Cheers ...

What I meant was that the list excludes "centres of learning" that focus only or principally on teaching, i.e., the so-called liberal arts colleges such as Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore in the USA. If such places were counted in then a different picture of top institutions might appear. Rankings, of course, are a subjective result of criteria chosen, not objective in the least.

October 12th, 2006, 11:59
Cedric: That makes sense. I love a news-paper, I don't think they are "old fashioned" as Boyarse here called them, I think that on the contrary, it is just that the American public has dumbed down. Given the quality of journalism on American TV, is it no wonder?
I remember watching the gulf war on CNN and finding it all very exciting, especially the bombing of Tel Aviv by the Iraqi's. OK I was for all intensive purposes just a boy, but how much worse is that, when a child finds war exciting, sensational and compulsive viewing?

Strange how CNN reporters and journalists still hold up their reporting of the gulf war as being that decisive moment in the history of broadcasting that revolutionised their media, and that they were singularly responsible for that "great" achievement. The gulf war certainly launched CNN. It can only be assumed that it was a bitter disappointment that the present war in Iraq was launched from the sea and Kuwait, how tragic that they couldn't sensationalise this one too, and once again harness the worlds attention with their crass subjective journalism, and for this, the big one where America had to go it almost totally alone.Cedric

shallow hypothesis

Explain yourself Smiles. What you wrote is a complete non sequitur, unless you back it it up with some sort of argument, no matter how small or insignificant. Explain "dearest" or has that booze finally put your head up your arse for good .

October 12th, 2006, 17:39
I wonder who will get the Nobel Peace Prize - awarded by a committee of five persons elected by the Norwegian Storting?

Must be the safest bet in history. You can put your last dollar on the fact that it won't be Bush or any of his neo-con warmonger friends !

cottmann
October 13th, 2006, 07:08

Must be the safest bet in history. You can put your last dollar on the fact that it won't be Bush or any of his neo-con warmonger friends !

The BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5398780.stm - is reporting that "The US Ambassador at the UN, John Bolton, and long-time Iran investigator Kenneth Timmerman were formally nominated by Sweden's former deputy Prime Minister Per Ahlmark, for what was described in a press release in February as playing a major role in exposing Iran's secret plans to develop nuclear weapons......" Isn't Bolton one of Bush's "neo-con warmonger friends?"

October 13th, 2006, 08:37
I see the Colonel is up to his old tricks, posting now using the name cottman.

cottmann
October 13th, 2006, 09:38
I see the Colonel is up to his old tricks, posting now using the name cottman.

Sorry, Curious, but you are wrong - or maybe a troll yourself - I notice you have all of 10 posts, including the one to which I am responding. If you care to take the time to read all my posts and all of those by the person whom you call the Colonel, you might notice that I do not live in Thailand, travel with an APEC card, and so on. Despite the similarity in some of our postings, we are in fact two quite different persons.

October 13th, 2006, 17:32
The BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5398780.stm - is reporting that "The US Ambassador at the UN, John Bolton, and long-time Iran investigator Kenneth Timmerman were formally nominated by Sweden's former deputy Prime Minister Per Ahlmark, for what was described in a press release in February as playing a major role in exposing Iran's secret plans to develop nuclear weapons......" Isn't Bolton one of Bush's "neo-con warmonger friends?"

A nomination is a very different thing from winning.
You are being selective in your snippet from the news item. Bolton is only one of ten nominees. You also fail to mention the very adverse write-up on Bolton given in the news report. Bolton's chances of getting the Peace prize are at the best 10 to 1 against and more realistically NIL!

October 13th, 2006, 21:18
If you care to take the time to read all my posts and all of those by the person whom you call the Colonel, you might notice that I do not live in Thailand, travel with an APEC card, and so on. Despite the similarity in some of our postings, we are in fact two quite different persons.We have only your word and his about anything you or anybody else writes about themselves. There is no independent verification. What you or he says about living in Thailand, the APEC card and all that might just be a pack of lies. I checked, and he hasn't posted this past week but you have.

Smiles
October 13th, 2006, 22:12
" ... We have only your word and his about anything you or anybody else writes about themselves. There is no independent verification. What you or he says about living in Thailand, the APEC card and all that might just be a pack of lies. I checked, and he hasn't posted this past week but you have ... "
The only thing Herr Colon El and Mr Cottman have in common is the "C" as the first letter of their handle. Last time I looked "C" is the first letter of a lot of words ( also Fat-Bald-Old-"C"unts, Big "C" supermakets, and handles ... including "C"urious ).

If that's the extent of your logic then yer barking up the wrong alphabet.

Cheers ...

Brad the Impala
October 14th, 2006, 01:12
The only thing Herr Colon El and Mr Cottman have in common is the "C" as the first letter of their handle.

Cheers ...

Not so true! Colonel, Homintern and Cottmann all have o as the second letter. Startling eh? AND both Cottmann and Homintern each have two ns while Colonel has two ls.

Coincidence aside, I have no idea who is who.

cottmann
October 14th, 2006, 06:44
The only thing Herr Colon El and Mr Cottman have in common is the "C" as the first letter of their handle.

Cheers ...

Not so true! Colonel, Homintern and Cottmann all have o as the second letter. Startling eh? AND both Cottmann and Homintern each have two ns while Colonel has two ls.

Coincidence aside, I have no idea who is who.

Well, I am me and he is he, and the two of us will continue to post, secure in the knowledge that we are individuals, and those who periodically detect a similarity in style and/or attitudes and use that to post fatuous comment here will continue to go on my "Ignore" list.