PDA

View Full Version : Taylors... Copycat clothes

bucknaway
October 10th, 2006, 08:50
Last year when I was passing a Tailor shop, a Tailor did his usual pitch but then begged to ask me if he could make something for me... Maybe copy something for me.

Now I am packing and came across an old worn-out shirt that use to be a favorite of mine... I am wondering if I should bring it..

Have any of you had clothes copied? was it worth it?

October 10th, 2006, 08:55
Yep, well worth it judging by compliments my Thai-copy shirts get.

October 10th, 2006, 11:17
Last trip, my friend had 3 "Armani" suits made for under $300. He was very pleased with the results. I'm Planning on having a suit done for the first time in November.

October 10th, 2006, 11:56
Let me guess: your buddy wears black socks with sandals, and the closest he's ever been to Italy is the spaghetti-and-meatball special at the Olive Garden.

October 10th, 2006, 17:41
Have any of you had clothes copied? was it worth it?

I had an old padded winter jacket which was a favourite but was getting threadbare with age/use. The style and make were no longer available. I had it copied in Thailand. It cost me 1600 Baht and you could not tell the difference between the copy and the original, apart from the wornout look of the original. Excellent value. Unfortunately that tailor had to give up his business because the lease on his shop ran out - he moved to Bangkok.

I also had a safari type jacket made from a photo I took out of a magazine but with slight modifications, to my design, in the pocket arrangement and the addition of a cell-phone pocket. Again the end product was excellent. That was done at Supranee tailor (opposite Pattayaland Soi 3 (Boyztown)). Cost - 1200 Baht.

Most of the tailors will be able to copy clothes from the original or from photos - you just have to shop around a bit, and barter, to get the best price.

CHAOTOU
October 10th, 2006, 19:32
Let me guess: your buddy wears black socks with sandals, and the closest he's ever been to Italy is the spaghetti-and-meatball special at the Olive Garden.

That was kind of mean. But, it made me laugh out loud because I was thinking the same thing.

October 10th, 2006, 19:37
I've used "JR Tailor" on Silom Rd.. Good quality and reasonable prices. He's across from the Baskin Robbins Ice Cream store close to the place that sells buns.

I've also been told that the Chinese tailors are generally better than the Nepalese tailors. Don't know if it's true but this guy is Chinese and very good. Speaks good English, too.
ajarntrade

October 10th, 2006, 19:42
I've used "JR Tailor" on Silom Rd.. Good quality and reasonable prices. He's across from the Baskin Robbins Ice Cream store close to the place that sells buns.

I've also been told that the Chinese tailors are generally better than the Nepalese tailors. Don't know if it's true but this guy is Chinese and very good. Speaks good English, too.
ajarntrade

Nepalese or Chinese, the suits are made at the same back-alley sweat shops. I've never seen a cheapo Thailand suit that looked like anything other than a cheapo Thailand suit. Now, spend $1,000 for a Thailand custom suit...then you're talking. But $100? No, sorry.

October 10th, 2006, 23:09
.... I've never seen a cheapo Thailand suit that looked like anything other than a cheapo Thailand suit. Now, spend $1,000 for a Thailand custom suit...then you're talking. But $100? No, sorry.

I absolutely agree. Twice I got so attempted, put down deposit (50%=$50 each time), fitted many times, but in the end, taylors were not able to correct all the problems they made. So I gave up, and lost my deposit.

Smiles
October 11th, 2006, 06:20
" ... That was kind of mean. But, it made me laugh out loud because I was thinking the same thing.... "
You think that was mean?? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Give yer head a shake ... that's a zero on the 'Scale of Mean' for our Boy.
The BoyGenii is the Leona Helmsley of Sawatdee Forum: being perpetually in denial, he thinks of himself as the conscience of the board . . . but in fact he beats the cleaning lady and cheats on his taxes.

But everyone has their little faults ~ The Boy takes no prisoners and is a joy to behold when 'on song'.

Cheers ...

October 11th, 2006, 08:21
Oh I see, Boyarse is on the run, very interesting, is he the Cruella de Vil, of rooms by the hour, I wonder if he met up with J Carr. What a fascinating life some posters lead.

I took the nephew on a pleasant drive from Phukket to get some sky blue silk shorts run up at a Tailor near khao Lak, month before it was washed away by the Tsunami. They were very professional and took three days adjusting everything till it fit like a glove. Luckily the beach and waterfall near-by were a good diversion, and I needed to practise my driving skills.
He wore them once in a fit of enthusiasm, much to my delight, but they were so tight he had people gawking so he never wore them again. Bless and he is only ten, but hung like a hamster. Must be the red meat they get in blighty.

Just a note of caution many tailors think that it is still 1973, especially those from the Indian sub-continent, everything is a Bollywood fiesta. Anyway I thought they looked very retro and piquant, though nothing could persuade him, he just became surly so I gave up, and he bought some knock-off diesel shorts just like mine off the beach. Strange isn't it, we are quite happy having them falling around our ankles but ball crushers he found quite distasteful. What a victim.

October 11th, 2006, 08:54
Bless and he is only ten, but hung like a hamster.

How are hamsters hung, exactly? Should we ask Richard Gere?

October 11th, 2006, 19:05
Strange isn't it, we are quite happy having them falling around our ankles but ball crushers he found quite distasteful. What a victim.

The poor lad is just a follower of fashion. The craze with the young (under 30) here in UK is to have the crutch of their trousers roughly level with their kneecap and also to be showing at least six inches or so of underpants at the back (I've even seen a kid with skid marks on display on his white underpants). The baggier the trousers the better. Looks totally ridiculous to us old farts but if the lad is 10 years old he is definately "with it"

October 13th, 2006, 12:10
I know, but I am trying to get him to be a little more sophisticated, and continental, but it's all to no avail. One thing he hates more than short shorts are speedos, he thinks he is nude in them and runs around like he is wearing panties, hiding behind bushes and wrapping himself up in a towel at the beach every time he sees someone coming. Ridiculous, when half his crack is showing every time he bends down in his jeans.

October 13th, 2006, 17:45
I know, but I am trying to get him to be a little more sophisticated, and continental, but it's all to no avail. One thing he hates more than short shorts are speedos, he thinks he is nude in them and runs around like he is wearing panties, hiding behind bushes and wrapping himself up in a towel at the beach every time he sees someone coming. Ridiculous, when half his crack is showing every time he bends down in his jeans.

I think you have said enough! You will have all the Sunee Plaza pedos drooling at the mouth (and elsewhere) with all your talk of short shorts and speedos and the crack of a 10 year old boy as he bends over. !!!! :bootyshake: