PDA

View Full Version : 30 day Visa free entry - Official!! bkkguy right! hurrah!

wowpow
October 9th, 2006, 20:10
I wrote on another board:
"Here we are 8th October and the new rules apply from 1st October. I can't find a single official website with any information regarding them. I have tried.
Embassy London
Consulate Hull UK
Embassy Washington
The Immigration Police - under construction
Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Pattaya Immigration
Phuket Immigration

zilch!

It really is time that some reliable clear information was supplied to the world for visitors to Thailand.

From various sources the 30 days permission to visit for tourist purposes visa free is extended to 41 countries and is now either:

1) You are allowed 3 visit back to back = 90 days and then no more for 90 days - as above. This strikes me as very silly.

2) The more sensible, clear and logical - this permission is granted only three times within 180 days.

The vast majority of visitors to Thailand are holiday makers here for a matter of weeks and often visiting neighbouring S E Asian countries. These are the ones likely to not know about th revised rule and there is a potential for many to find themselves being refused entry into Thailand after having checked their local Embassy or Consulate site."

bkkguy, kindly posted a link to http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en ... ion=notice (http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...&section=notice) where it is published.

The key paraagraph regarding the 30 days permission to visit Visa free is:

"" shall be permitted for multiple entry into Thailand, by permission of which must not exceed thirty days per entry with a total period of stay not exceeding ninety days within six months from the date of first entry into the Kingdom.
It will be effective on 1 October B E 2549" quote

It looks as if you can get three permissions to stay for 30 days in a six months period but it is a bit ambiguous.

October 9th, 2006, 20:21
Yeah, but there are some reports that if your stays are shorter than 30 days, you can get more than 3 stamps in a six month period, DAYS, not STAMPS.
Do I know for sure? Nope.
It took some embassies and consulates YEARS to change the info on retirement age (from 55 to 50) and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them still state 55, so why expect anything better for this change which is so much more complex and you get the idea that they don't even know themselves!

bkkguy
October 9th, 2006, 20:27
It looks as if you can get three permissions to stay for 30 days in a six months period but it is a bit ambiguous.

it is not ambiguous, you just need to reverse your thinking on it

there is no limit on the number of entry stamps you can get in a 6 month period

there is a limit on how many days you can stay using entry stamps - maximum 30 days per stamp and maximum 90 days per 6 months

if you stay the full 30 days on each stamp then at the end of your third entry stamp you have used your maximum number of days for a 6 month period so you cannot stay any more days on entry stamps - but you can get a toutist or other visa and use that to stay for the next 2-3 months

if you only stay 10 days on each entry stamp then at the end of your thrid stamp you have not used your maximum number of days so you can still get another entry stamp

bkkguy

allieb
October 9th, 2006, 20:38
This subject has gone on a bit too long. The bottom line Tee Pee is that tourists like you and me who go to Thailand on holiday, WILL NOT BE AFFECTED AT ALL. I have never been more than 3 times in a year. Twice is what I try to aim for. The Thai government is being very generous with us real tourists.

If a genuine tourist goes more frequently, a one year multiple visa is given in his country of residence. I have just checked with The Thai Consulate in Jeddah and this visa is available. Put your passport today and take it tomorrow with your visa. The cost, 5,000 baht.

The sooner the back to back visa runners get legal, the better for all of us. The message is get legal or get out. I fully agree with it.

October 9th, 2006, 20:55
... that's sounds like the best idea - get a year visa for 5,000 k and come in and go as many times as you like - why don't the people who stay in Thailand for a long time do this, surely, it would be cheaper. For instance, fly back to the UK once a year for a few days, stay with a few friends, get a cheap flight etc. Tell me "all" - does anyone ever do that? That would be cheaper and a lot less hassle all round

wowpow
October 9th, 2006, 21:07
bkguy, I can see how you are reading the quote and I agree that it says what you say. I just don't believe it. Can something have been lost in translation? If that is the way it is to operate then someone - say from Malaysia - could enter Thailand for a day, exit the same day and he can do that 90 times in 6 months? I am hoping that it is true but it's not what the Officials have been saying to the newspapers.

October 9th, 2006, 21:49
I agree TeePee, it is still AMBIGUOUS. There are conflicting messages all over the place over DAYS vs. ENTRIES.
And, BTW, it is certainly not always possible to get continuous one year non-immigrant visas from your home country.
That depends on your home country and the specific consulate/embassy; after all, there is supposed to be a SPECIFIC REASON (limited to certain categories) to grant such visas.
There are lots of long term people in Thailand who no longer have meaningful ties to their home countries, so how about some compassion for them instead of intolerance?

There are indeed thousands of good people falling through the cracks in the new rules, as well as thousands of not so good people who are well able to meet the new rules; so please, stop your arrogant, JUDGEMENTAL attitudes. They are disgusting and unbecoming.

October 9th, 2006, 22:30
just done some research and found quite a few criterion that would exclude people

one is criminal record, you have to be free from one - which could be a problem for quite a few, even a small offence - and a popular one amongst gays is cottaging, years ago it was known as gross indecency, these days I think the police have give up on that one, but nevertheless its still an offence and will be on a police record in the UK

another one is the money, this visa is a retirement one, not everyone has 800k in bht

difficult all round eh.

But what about the 6 month tourist visa one. Better than nothing

allieb
October 9th, 2006, 23:30
White Desire

The one year multiple entry tourist visa is available in Europe America Canada Australia and The Middle East. I don't know about N.Z., perhaps Aunty can tell us about that. The form to fill in is quite simple and doesn't get into criminal records. The retirement visa does however

Tequila.

I don't doubt that some fall through the cracks and that's a shame. But let them try doing things the correct way first. How many of the people whining have tried to get things in order first before complaining.

A little piece of information I got from a friend who used to work at the British Embassy in Bangkok. He said that so many Brits go to Thailand to settle who can't really afford to. They live on next to nothing and do visa runs to stay.

As Thailand attracts older males, getting sick is common and a big problem. So many get sick,have limited funds and have to be repatriated home. Their relatives have to foot the bill. If they have nobody then the UK government has to pay and their passport is held until the loan is repaid. If they die then the British government is left with an unpaid loan and a useless passport. This is not rare but happens very often. Also Brits seem to get into all sorts of other money related problems.

The point I am making is that the Thai government is trying to get things right, possibly with the encouragement of the British and other governments. I do not single anybody out but say. If you have the financial means then you can get legal. If you don't then you should go home before you become an Embassy statistic.

How many of you visa runners have tried to get it right and failed? Please let us know?

October 10th, 2006, 00:02
Regarding criminal record for retirement, a report is required if applying for an O-A visa in the UK or the US, while it is NOT required if applying for a one year extension based on retirement while holding an O visa if applying IN Thailand.

I personally have no problem getting a retirement visa. However, I most certainly did have a problem before reaching age 50. This is a very common situation, people who can afford to retire in Thailand who are not 50 now have many fewer options. And again, technically there must be a SPECIFIC REASON limited to very limited CATEGORIES to get a one year O visa outside Thailand, and although some consulates have been liberal, they are in fact not operating within the RULES of Thai visas, so by suggesting people go for these visas a good suggestion, to get all huffy also and preach about following rules, when these consulates themselves are NOT following rules (issuing visas without an approved reason) is basically garden variety hubris and arrogance (and if it doesn't effect me I don't care) attitude. I hate that attitude.

Regarding criminal record for retirement, a report is required if applying for an O-A visa in the UK or the US, while it is NOT required if applying for a one year extension based on retirement while holding an O visa if applying IN Thailand.

I personally have no problem getting a retirement visa. However, I most certainly did have a problem before reaching age 50. This is a very common situation, people who can afford to retire in Thailand who are not 50 now have many fewer options. And again, technically there must be a SPECIFIC REASON limited to very limited CATEGORIES to get a one year O visa outside Thailand, and although some consulates have been liberal, they are in fact not operating within the RULES of Thai visas, so by suggesting people go for these visas a good suggestion, to get all huffy also and preach about following rules, when these consulates themselves are NOT following rules (issuing visas without an approved reason) is basically garden variety hubris and arrogance (and if it doesn't effect me I don't care) attitude. I hate that attitude.

bkkguy
October 10th, 2006, 00:03
I am hoping that it is true but it's not what the Officials have been saying to the newspapers.

most officials, and most posters on the forums, assume everyone stays 30 days on an entry stamp thus they always talk about 3 stamps is the limit - and yes 3 x 30 days = 90 days which is the limit, but everyone seems to assume that this means 3 stamps is the limit, but I have seen quotes from at least two officials emphatically saying the limit is on days and I have yet to see any other examples that do not assume 30 days stay per stamp

I don't use entry stamps and this is Thailand and I am certainly not volunteering to pit my falung logic against an Immigration official's logic at a border crossing, and it seems that regardless of what anyone says now some people are determined to still see this as ambiguous, so it is a waste of time to keep speculating - wait for someone to stay less than 30 days on a stamp and get (or not get) more than three stamps!

bkkguy

Sen Yai
October 10th, 2006, 00:18
- wait for someone to stay less than 30 days on a stamp and get (or not get) more than three stamps!

bkkguy

OK - I'll tell you by Christmas!

When I arrived at Suvanahbhumi recently, the helpful immigration officer, noticing my passport full of Thai stamps and probably looking at my 'history' on his computer screen, told me about the forthcoming change of regulations - 90 days in any 6 month period. When I explained that I visit Thailand frequently (nearly every month) but only stay 3 or 4 days each visit he said it would be no problem for me.

So i will visit again next month a probably twice in December, and I don't expect any problems at immigration.

October 10th, 2006, 01:02
The assumption people make that Thai embassies will churn out tourist and Non-Imm visas to make up for the change in the rules on 30 day visas is misplaced. As I predicted long ago in another thread, they are clamping down on these too. I was issued a 2 month tourist visa but a note in my passport said that no further tourist visas would be issued (at least, by that Embassy). In the half hour I was waiting at the Embasssy to hand in my forms, two people were refused any kind of visa at all (one an American, one Asian), though I don't know what sort of visa they were applying for. The American chap, who looked perfectly respectable, was rather cut up about it.

Happily for me, I've now sold all my property in Thailand and repatriated most of the money. Am looking forward to buying somewhere on the Med coast and just spending the winter in Thailand.

October 10th, 2006, 02:04
Yes, exactly.
The self satisfied and smug who post here have no idea how radically things have changed. Lots of people are getting hurt, and not only so called "undesirables".

October 10th, 2006, 04:37
yes, that seems logical, when applying for a retirement via extension, I'm sure the Thai authorities are not going to ask for ANOTHER report stating you do or do not have a criminal record. But when FIRST applying for one in the UK for certain, one is required to produce documentation from the relevant UK authorities.

wowpow
October 10th, 2006, 05:36
I got a Non-Immigrant O visa in Penang and then changed it to a "retirement Non- Immigrant O-A Visa in Bangkok. Neither required any confirmation of criminal records or absence of same. I scanned through thaivisa.com and there is no mention there either.

Smiles
October 10th, 2006, 05:52
" ... I got a Non-Immigrant O visa in Penang and then changed it to a "retirement Non- Immigrant O-A Visa in Bangkok. Neither required any confirmation of criminal records or absence of same. I scanned through thaivisa.com and there is no mention there either ... "
This is exactly what I understand from numerous sources over the last few months. This interests me greatly as the 12-month "O-A" (Retirement) visa is the one I will be applying for next year. I doubt that parking tickets classify as "criminal".

One of the very desirable aspects of attaining the "O-A" retirement visa is that the holder need only check in every 3 months with a local immigration office, (or police station where there is no specific immigration office), and get your visa stamped. I believe there is no extra cost for this stamping (not 100% sure on that one. If anyone knows for sure, I'd like to know).

Various aspects of the Type "O-A" visa is also discussed at greater length on a thread on page 2 (on my view settings): http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... php?t=9407 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9407)

Cheers ...

October 10th, 2006, 06:06
The O-A is ONLY available from the UK and US!
The O visa is also available abroad (NOT O-A) and then you can get a retirement extension (one year at a time) IN Thailand.

O-A, criminal record needed.
O, criminal record NOT needed.

If you got an O abroad and then get a retirement extension in Thailand, you don't have an O-A visa.
A great advantage of the O-A is that you don't have to transfer the 800K baht the first year! Otherwise, it is a bigger hassle, which is why many people avoid it and go for the O visa, then an extension based on retirement in Thailand.

Smiles
October 10th, 2006, 06:24
" ... The O-A is ONLY available from the UK and US! The O visa is also available abroad (NOT O-A) and then you can get a retirement extension (one year at a time) IN Thailand ... "
Incorrect. The "O-A" visa is available in Canada.
The second part of your message regarding a criminal background check is correct.
The third part of your message is your opinion only, and thus easily ignored.

From the Thai Consulate General Office in Vancouver, BC

One-Year O-A Visa for Retirees

This type of visa will be issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to take retreat in the Kingdom for a period of at least one year.

1. Requirements for Obtaining a One-year O-A Visa

The applicant must be 50 years of age or older by the date of application
Applicants cannot be prohibited from entering the Kingdom
Applicants must having no criminal record against the security of Thailand or the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.
Applicants must be of the nationality or resident in the country where his/her application is submitted.
Applicants must not have prohibitive diseases as indicated in Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535).
Applicants cannot be allowed to work in Thailand

2. Documents Required to Apply for a One-Year O-A Visa

A passport valid for no less than one year and a half at the time of application
Three Visa Application Forms (with three passport-sized photos of the applicant taken within the past six months) certified by a lawyer or notary public.

A personal Data Form (i.e. "Additional Visa Application Form for "O-A" Long Stay) certified by a lawyer or notary public.

A bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (original copy) indicating a monthly income of no less than 65,000 Baht. Alternatively, applicants can make a deposit and provide an income certificate indicating a total income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year. All financial statement must have the signature of the bank officer. Any bank statements require a letter of guarantee from the bank (original copy) as well (this document must be valid for no more than 3 months).

A criminal record check indicating that the applicant has no criminal record in the country of his/her nationality or residence (this document must be valid for no more than 3 months).
A medical certificate issued from the country in which the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (this certificate shall be valid for no more than 3 months and must display a stamp or seal from the issuing office).
In the case that the applicant wishes to be accompanied by his/her spouse but the spouse does not meet the requirements for the O-A Visa, a marriage certificate shall also be included in the application package (The spouse will be considered for the Visa for Temporary Residents under the 'O' Code).

3. Fee for O-A Visa

CAD $200 per applicant

4. Other instructions for O-A Visa Applicants Once in Thailand

The alien shall report to the competent authority after 90 days in the Kingdom, and report every 90 days thereafter with the immigration officer in the alien's residence area, or report to the police station in the alien's residence area if there is no immigration control there. (In order to report to the competent authority by mail, the alien shall do as follows: Forward the Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien's photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp and include a self addressed envelop with sufficient postage affixed. This must be forwarded 7 days before the due date. This package should be mailed to the Immigration Bureau, Sathon Tai Road,

At the end of the one-year stay, a visitor who wishes to extend his/her stay must submit a request to extend the period at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in the Kingdom, or an income certificate, of the amount of no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income certificate plus a deposit account indicating a total amount of no less than 800,000 Baht a year. Sathon District, Bangkok 10120. In the case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.) Copies of any previous such Reports should also be included.

If the visitor's spouse wishes to extend his/her stay as well, the marriage certificate must be produced.

For more information on Temporary permits Click HERE: http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/cms/ ... iew&id=121 (http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=121)
Cheers ...

October 10th, 2006, 08:37
OK, Canada too.
Canada is easily ignored.

The main point is that for some strange reason the O-A visa (the one in which you apply for a ONE YEAR retirement stay OUTSIDE Thailand) is NOT available to citizens of many countries, for example, Iceland. Sorry, you are so sensitive, Canuck.

Again, there is NO SUCH THING as an O-A Visa available in Thailand.
And again, if you do get an O-A visa OUTSIDE Thailand, you are good for at least a year, so no need to transfer in 800K until you go for the FIRST extension IN Thailand. An advantage for many indeed. And given you need a medical form and criminal report to get the O-A visa, it is OBJECTIVELY more hassle, and for Americans with our crappy health care system at least, much more expensive as Amerian doctors will insist on running expensive tests before signing any form.

Again, if you have an extension based on retirement on an O, you don't have an O-A, not that it is a big deal. Also, it seems the O-A is also available in some places in Europe and Australia:

O-A (Long Stay/Retirement) Visas - obtained in your 'home' country

You must apply for this type of visa only through the Royal Thai Embassy in your country. (Canada, USA, Europe, Australia will issue O-A visas from certain Consulates as well тАУ UK does not)

If you are unable to satisfy the requirements of the 'O-A' visa in your 'home' country, the only other option available to you is the non-immigrant category 'O' visa (maybe multiple entry) - see above - which may be extendable for up to a year, when in Thailand.
http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.com/visainformation.htm

Aunty
October 10th, 2006, 09:17
Here's a cut and paste from the Thai embassy in Wellington.

THE ROYAL THAI EMBASSY, WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND

~Non-Immigrant Visa (Retired)~

This type of visa is issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to reside in the Kingdom of Thailand for a period of at least one year is not permitted work in Thailand..

Criteria of Applicant
1. A foreign national aged 50 years or above (on date of submitting application).
2. Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and country of his/her nationality, or country of his/her residence.
3. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where application is submitted.
4. Not having prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Drug Addiction, Elephantiasis and Third step of Syphilis).

Required Documents
1. 3 Complete Visa Application Forms
2. Passport or travel document valid for at least 6 months from expected date of travel.
3. Three recent passport size photographs
4. A personal Data Form
5. A copy of bank statement showing a deposit not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (original copy) showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. In case of the bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (original copy) is to be shown as well.
6. Criminal Record Verification of applicant issued by the country of nationality or residence (verification shall not be older three months and notarized by notary organs or applicantтАЩs diplomatic/consular mission).
7. Medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases (the certificate shall not be older than three months and notarized by notary organs or applicantтАЩs diplomatic/consular mission).
8. In case applicant wishes to bring along spouse but the spouse is not qualified for the тАЬO-AтАЭ visa, a marriage certificate shall also be presented and notarized by notary organs or the applicantтАЩs diplomatic/consular mission. (Spouse will be considered for temporary stay under category тАЬOтАЭ).

Processing time: around one month.

Validity of Visa
Visa must be utilized within 3 months from date of issue.

Validity of Stay
Permission to stay in the Kingdom will be granted for one year upon arrival in the Kingdom.

Extension
Upon expiry date of such period, one year extensions maybe granted as long as the applicant meets the above requirements.

Fee
Visa fee is NZ$ 250.

I think you'll find that this Visa is available to most members of the EU, North America and ASEAN.

October 10th, 2006, 09:19
Right, but the main point is that that one year visa obtained outside Thailand is an O-A visa. The other way of doing it (inside Thailand) is not an O-A and THE RULES AND PROCEDURES are different.

atri1666
October 10th, 2006, 09:20
Seems next year thailand wants to know what really means "low season" for the complete year.

Aunty
October 10th, 2006, 09:26
Tourist visas are also avaibale here in New Zealand. Again this is a cut and past from the Thai Embassy here.

~Tourist Visa~

Tourist Visa will be issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purpose.

Required Documents
Whether applying in person or by post, applications for Tourist Visa must provide the following documents with the completed Visa Application Forms:
1. Passport or travel document valid for at least 6 months from expected date of travel.
2. Two recent passport size photographs
3. Photocopies of Bank Statement, travellers cheque, or other form of
funds (credit cards are not acceptable) providing evidence of sufficient funds during period of stay in Thailand (at least NZ$ 1,500)
4. Valid ticket to Thailand or confirmed itinerary.

Additional documents or information may also be requested, if necessary.

Validity of Visa
Visa must be utilized within 3 months from date of issue.

Validity of Stay
Permission of stay will be granted at the Immigration Checkpoint. Tourist visa is normally valid for a stay of 60 days. The length of stay is subject to the discretion of the Thai Immigration Bureau upon entry into the Kingdom.

Extension
Extension of stay is possible. The extension of stay as well as the change in the type of visa is solely at the discretion of the immigration officer. Applicants may file an application at:
The Office of Immigration Bureau
Soi Suan Plu
South Sathorn Road
Bangkok 10120
Tel (662) 287 3101 тАУ 10

Fee
Visa fee is NZ$ 50 per entry. Payment can be made either by cash or bank cheque (payable to Royal Thai Embassy). Visa fees are subject to change without notice.

wowpow
October 10th, 2006, 14:40
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Day

Here's hoping many Smiles will cum on your face

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/Thanksgiving.gif

October 10th, 2006, 16:03

This type of visa is issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to reside in the Kingdom of Thailand for a period of at least one year is not permitted work in Thailand..

Criteria of Applicant
1. A foreign national aged 50 years or above (on date of submitting application).

Can anyone point to a place on a Thai Gov't website that says what age ranges Retirement Visas are available to (in Thailand?).

October 10th, 2006, 16:27
A Royal Thai Embassy website is not "government" enough for you? Try here then:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php

October 10th, 2006, 17:17
A Royal Thai Embassy website is not "government" enough for you? Try here then:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php

Duh, A Royal Thai EMBASSY might just refer to those foreigners in that from country.

Your link is worthless. The word "retire" isn't even on that page.

If any of the other members can try to be helpful, I'd appreciate it.

BG logic :::: FAILED

October 10th, 2006, 17:45
So much for gratitude. Have you tried www.thaivisa.com (http://www.thaivisa.com)? It's not government, but is usually well-informed.

October 10th, 2006, 17:50
So much for gratitude. Have you tried www.thaivisa.com (http://www.thaivisa.com)? It's not government, but is usually well-informed.

DUH. "Yes" said the immigration officer, "ThaiVisa.com" is NOT the government and we can't be held responsible".

PLEASE, BG if you can't help then stop with your attacks.

I'm just looking for information.

October 10th, 2006, 17:52
Who am I attacking, I'm trying to HELP you here. Sheesh! Help yourself, why don't you?

October 10th, 2006, 21:58

Criteria of Applicant

Can anyone point to a place on a Thai Gov't website that says what age ranges Retirement Visas are available to (in Thailand?).
This area is non-controversial and totally clear. The minimum age for a retirement age visa is FIFTY. Save your agita for the numerous more ambiguous visa issues.

October 11th, 2006, 09:36
Here is a Thai govt source:

http://www.lawyer.th.com/National_Polic ... t_2006.pdf (http://www.lawyer.th.com/National_Police_Office_Order_Oct_2006.pdf)

October 11th, 2006, 11:44
(I have deleted/re-posted this)

Here is a Thai govt source:
http://www.lawyer.th.com/National_Polic ... t_2006.pdf (http://www.lawyer.th.com/National_Police_Office_Order_Oct_2006.pdf)

Thanks, cool, Spot On (almost). Well that is all I need but I still note I'm confused. I've emboldened two statements. The second doesn't seem to cover the case of over 50 to 55.

(1) Foreigner shall obtains VISA for
temporary stay and,
(2) Shall not be younger than 50
years old and,
(3) Having evidence showing the
monthly income not less than
65,000 Baht or,
(4) Having the records of saving
money in the latest 3 months of
account book of any Bank in
Thailand not less than 800,000
Baht or,
(5) Having annual income
combined with the saving
money in the Bank not less than
800,000 Baht from on the date
submitting the application.
(6) Foreign national who enters the
Kingdom of Thailand before the
21st October 1998 and has been
permitted to stay in Thailand in
case retirement shall be applied
to the criterions as follows:-
(a) Person who has the age from 60
years old and have the certain
income, with the saving money
in the Bank not less than
200,000 year per year and show
the latest 3 months records of
the passbook, or have the
monthly income not less than
20,000 Baht.
(b) Person who has the age lower
than 60 years old but not less
than 55 years old who have the
certain income with the saving
money in the Bank not less than
500,000 Baht per year and
show the latest 3 months
records of the passbook, or
have the monthly income not
less than 50,000 Baht.

Is Stickman correct. The "Not Less than 3,000,000 THB category is GONE (not like one ever really existed)? Is there a retirement visa based on property, not the 800,000 baht bank account?

Aunty
October 11th, 2006, 12:26
Well the way that I read that is that (b) Person who has the age lower than 60 years old but not less than 55 years old who have the certain income with the saving money in the Bank is a sub-clause of 6. And 6 only applies to those individuals who were living in Thailand prior to 21 October 1998. If you were not living in Thailand prior to 21 October 1998, then forget about it, it doesn't apply to you. What does is the 50 year old minimum age, 800,000 Baht rule. That applies to you.

October 11th, 2006, 12:28
The 3 million baht investment visa is no longer available for new applicants.
There is no 3 million baht real estate retirement visa (that was the investment visa).
I am not sure if the 10 million baht investment visa is still available or not.

October 11th, 2006, 12:44
It's getting clearer!

So the Jomtien Beach condo I'm thinking of buying would NOT help any towards (does NOTHING for) a retirement (non-biz) visa, I'd still need the bank account (which ain't a bad idea, actually)?

October 11th, 2006, 12:48
It's getting clearer!

So the Jomtien Beach condo I'm thinking of buying would NOT help any towards (does NOTHING for) a retirement (non-biz) visa, I'd still need the bank account (which ain't a bad idea, actually)?
Right O. Nada.

wowpow
October 14th, 2006, 07:19
"TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION

According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), passport holders from 40 countries and 1 special administrative region тАУ Hong Kong SAR тАУ are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.
- Please note that Tourist Visa Exemption does not apply to foreigners holding Travel Document for Aliens issued by these 40 countries.
- Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

1. Australia : Commonwealth of Australia
2. Austria : Republic of Austria
3. Belgium : Kingdom of Belgium
4. Brazil : Federative Republic of Brazil (****)
5. Bahrain : State of Bahrain
6. Brunei Darussalam : Negara Brunei Darussalam
7. Canada
8. Denmark : Kingdom of Denmark
9. Finland : Republic of Finland
10. France : French Republic
11. Germany : Federal Republic of Germany
12. Greece : Hellenic Republic
13. Hong Kong : Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
14. Iceland : Republic of Iceland
15. Indonesia : Republic of Indonesia
16. Ireland : Republic of Ireland
17. Israel : State of Israel
18. Italy : Republic of Italy
19. Japan
20. Korea : Republic of Korea (****)
21. Kuwait : State of Kuwait
22. Luxembourg : Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
23. Malaysia
24. Netherlands : Kingdom of the Netherlands
25. New Zealand
26. Norway : Kingdom of Norway
27. Oman : Sultanate of Oman
28. Peru : Republic of Peru (****)
29. Philippines : Republic of the Philippines
30. Portugal : Republic of Portugal
31. Qatar : State of Qatar
32. Singapore : Republic of Singapore
33. Spain : Kingdom of Spain
34. South Africa : Republic of South Africa
35. Sweden : Kingdom of Sweden
36. Switzerland : Swiss Confederation
37. Turkey : Republic of Turkey
38. United Arab Emirates
39. United Kingdom : United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
40. United States of America
41. Vietnam : Socialist Republic of Vietnam

--------------------------------------

(****)Thailand holds bilateral agreements on visa exemption for holders of diplomatic, official and ordinary passports for a visit of not exceeding 90 days with Brazil, the Republic of Korea and Peru. Therefore, nationals of these 3 countries are exempted from visa requirements and are permitted to enter and stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days.

For more information on countries that have bilateral agreements on visa exemption with Thailand, please see List of countries which have concluded agreements on the exemption of visa requirements with Thailand."

I am delighted to say that I was wrong and it is as many entries as you want as long as the total number of days does not exceed 90 in a six month period.

October 14th, 2006, 09:30
While the Thai Foreign Office statement is certainly the least ambiguous yet, it still doesn't answer all the questions.

What happens if you have three visa stamps within a six month period with a cumulative total of 61 days. Will you be refused entry on your 4th visit on the grounds that another 30 entry pass would put you over the 90 day limit? Or will you be given a 29 day entry pass, or what?

I suspect every Thai immigration officer will end up applying his or her own policy. I would feel distinctly on edge arriving at the border with three stamps in the previous 90 days even if the cumulative total was still below 60 days. Look at the situation with the banks, where every branch of every bank claims different laws applying to the opening of an account by foreigners. Some are happy to do it with a 30 day entry stamp, some say the law demands you have a long stay visa, some want proof of a permanent address in thailand, some even say they need an unspecified document from the Government.

Maybe things will eventually settle down into a predicatable pattern. In the meantime, frequent visitors should steel themselves of hassles.

wowpow
October 14th, 2006, 15:04
Maybe take a printout of the rules in Thai and English? Still all entries are at the discretion of the Immigration Policeman that you meet!

I too have a strong feeling that we have not heard the end of this one yet.

Still no official source with details of the Visa on Arrival as per the Press release.

October 14th, 2006, 18:01
While the Thai Foreign Office statement is certainly the least ambiguous yet, it still doesn't answer all the questions.

What happens if you have three visa stamps within a six month period with a cumulative total of 61 days. Will you be refused entry on your 4th visit on the grounds that another 30 entry pass would put you over the 90 day limit? Or will you be given a 29 day entry pass, or what?

according to the rules i have read the worst that can happen to you is that you get a 7 day visa. This is what they will give to someone who has exceeded the 90 day rule, to allow them to collect their belongings and get out of the country for the remainder of the 6 months

October 14th, 2006, 19:36
And you come in on the 5th and leave on the 10th. Is that 5 days? or is teh immigration officer going to count those as 6 days 5 6 7 8 9 10 ???

October 14th, 2006, 22:53
That would be six days. Immigration has always counted day of entry and day of exit in the equation.