PDA

View Full Version : Patong Beach bungalows reopens in style

January 22nd, 2006, 07:20
I am still wading through the long emails from my friends trip to Phuket.

It was not suitable for cut and paste due to the personal and crude remarks and unfair comments. Yet they do give a fresh look at phuket in 2006.

They pour shit on me because I stayed once in PBB and I thought the overhead fan,painted cement floor and hard bed very ordinary. I have deleted their remarks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position Position Position.

We used to walk down to the beach and along to the area where the gay guys play beach volley ball late afternoon. There are only two rows of wooden sofas like you get around hotel swimming pools, for the whole length of Patong Beach. There is no obvious gay section and we sat with families from OZ , some poms and several from Sweden. No big fat germans with their hands down the front of beach boys, no expats with claims of permanent seats, unfortunately no massage boys only old women, but heaps of cute guys gay straight married and single. Eye candy galore.

We were invited to join a married couple for lunch (dutch shout) and we took a short cut through the old Patong Beach Bungalows.

You remember telling us you went just a few days after tsumani, and although the motel rooms were still standing everything else had gone.
Now it has been rebuilt and it is classy but not too expensive. You would not recognize it now.

I cannot remember how many cabins there were but it seems to be more.

Stepping off the walkway onto the sand at the gay beach, just yards away from the water, or sitting in or beside the pool, it is just the best location.
Walking distance to Paradise. We certainly are in the wrong area.

You might not like us saying the tsumani might turn out to be a good thing for Phuket. But all those old shops and cafes are gone, new really modern restaurants , good stores and open bars with live music all straight but gay friendly. We lunch or brekky at Holiday Inn or one of the other 5 star hotels not expensive but classy.

Just went to book for next year and PBB is pricy is high season. We are talking of taking a cabin facing the sea and will think about it. Low season is Apr 16 to Oct 31 K---- says it is not listed on gay patong any more.

Here is the url. have a look at the prices. We are thinking the prices might not be too bad as it is not per head.

http://www.patongbeachbungalows.com/

Found a few new bars actually on the beach, you know edge of sand and some good restaurants. We had seafood lunch , too much wine actually sitting on the sand.

We love it here. The beach clean and bright, mixed crowd, great eye candy,no one worries about us being gay, and some french boys(str8) joined in the volley ball last night WOW.

Probably we wont go to Pattaya again. It is not a young mans town, the beach is dirty and drab. The gay beach dreary and furtive. Phuket is vibrant and alive.

Enjoy Pattaya while you can. Or come to Phuket next time with us and start to feel young again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried to keep the mood of the email intact, but have had to tidy up a few things. I will try and reproduce their reports on Paradise and the shows.

Smiles
January 22nd, 2006, 07:41
This is what the Patong Beach Bungalows looked like last April . . . three months after the tsunami. This shot was taken looking from the beach up through the walkway which so many people used as a shortcut to the ocean.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Thailand_2005/patong4.jpg

Cheers ...

January 22nd, 2006, 07:45
One cannot but feel sad that the previous resort was flattened by the tsunami. I stayed in the old wooden bungalows in 1996 and that cost Bt2500 a night. It was comfortable but basic. However the location was fantastic and I could sit on my verandah sipping a sundowner and gazing out to sea.

From the, very modest, website they have not overinvested in the place. It has a prime location in Patong Beach and I would have thought was ripe to become a deluxe resort?

Gaypattayan
January 30th, 2006, 00:03
AA, a regular reader of the Pattayagay.com Weekly Report on Thailand, wrote me about Patong Beach Bungalows, just as he has posted on this site, and on looking further into the PBB, I agree that they deserve consideration in future accommodations in Patong. See their web site. See also Smile's photo of the Bungalows awaiting restoration. They certainly appear to be deserving of at least consideration.

If anyone checks them out, I'd appreciate knowing how they stack up with other similar accommodations in the Patong area.

G.P.