PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite book

October 6th, 2006, 07:57
In preperation for my next trip, can anyone recommend a good book? I like to read a good novel. Last trip I read "I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb. It's a rather long book, but I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend it!

October 6th, 2006, 08:11
Scouting for boys

October 6th, 2006, 09:03
Red Carpets and other banana skins...the auto-biograohy of actor Rupett Everett
This book has really surprised me as Rupett has turned out to be a superb writer and it's a rollicking good read...certainly an easy read and an extremely amusing account of an actor's life.

I was a bit reluctant to take this book on as I knew Rupett when he was much younger around London and I found him an unbelievably insufferable snob...typical upper class twit that one would put up with because he was handsome and could be amusing at times but ..oh what a hustler...if someone gravitated within eyeframe that looked slightly higher up the social rung (easy in my case)..he would be off in mid-sentence.

Rupett aknowledges all of this and more in his tale and how he missed on so many opportunities because of it..such as jetting off to Italy specifically to attend a friends party to meet Franco Zefferelli and then rudely dimissing Franco who approached him as "some interior decorating queen"...this is a great read as Roops (our name for him) lays himself bare and is pretty tough on himself.

I reckon he probably has a great future as a writer...I believe he's now working in a re-make of "St Trinians" and will be starring as the Headmistress...should be fun.

Highly recommended.

October 6th, 2006, 10:46
"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon - not what you would think of as a first choice read when you discover the book is written about a 15 year old autistic boy. However, highly recommended as it is written expertly as if the writer is the boy and is a sort of coming of age murder mystery. Loved it.

"The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel - another one you may not immediately think of as an interesting subject for the beach - boy is shipwrecked and spends time in a lifeboat with a bengal tiger. Tense and thoughtful and, as I recall, a twist at the end as you discover what actually .....

"The Funny Thing is ..." by Ellen Degeneres - surprise, it's funny.

"His Dark Materials" - Philip Pullman, if you like fantasy books this series of three books is good.

"The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint" - Brady Udall - a very funny (and heartwrenching) book that makes you wonder just how many knockbacks it takes before you give up on life and the world altogether. Read it!

Smiles
October 6th, 2006, 13:29
If only one novel to take, I would recommend 'Look Homeward Angel' by Thomas Wolfe.
A long read, heavy but not turgid, an over-the-top descriptive tour de force if there ever was one. Great for a holiday read.

Right now I'm reading 'A History of Warfare' by John Keegan. If you like history and enjoy simply opening a book at any page and being able tro jump right in (cannot do with novels), then this would be a fine choice for a vacation read.

Cheers ...

October 6th, 2006, 16:53
Re A History of Warfare...Are the Hydra wars and the Niddy Wars covered, Smiles?

If these are not still in print, check Amazon.

Never trust a Naked Bus Driver--Jack Douglas Short stories. Problem: So funny you will probable finish it in a day.
Shut Up & Eat Your Snowshoes--Jack Douglas About a family surviving in the wilds of Canada.
May This House be Safe From Tigers--Alexander King
Mine Enemy Grows Older--Alexander King
The Phantom of the Open Hearth--Jean Shephard More humor--some were done on television.

If you like mysteries: Koko or The Blue Rose--Peter Straub

Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City books.

(Tip: Most hotels have collection of left books in the lobby.)

BTW: Is the book store still going in Day-Night?

October 6th, 2006, 19:13
"The Moons a balloon" by David Niven - very funny and a great way to pass the time on a long flight.

If you like historical naval novels (in the mode of Captain Hornblower) - anything by Alexander Kent - his "hero" is Richard Bolitho and there are a series of books from midshipman to admiral