PDA

View Full Version : Thailand's Gay Car

October 5th, 2006, 07:58
Gay Car

Is Thailand ready for gay car marketing? We exploit the possibility

WIWAT CHANG

That's G-A-Y not grey.

There is anything between 5-10% of the Thai male population that are homosexual or gay. If 5% is the conservative guesstimate, then we're talking about 1.5m gays in Thailand alone and may be 150m in the whole world.

Could this be a niche market that car makers could tap into?

www.bangkokpost.com/290906_Motoring/29Sep2006_motor004.php (http://www.bangkokpost.com/290906_Motoring/29Sep2006_motor004.php)

October 5th, 2006, 08:00
... you can see every queen in the world wanting to drive around in the same-looking car that proclaims "I'm a faggot - bash me"

October 5th, 2006, 10:28
it's actually based on the design of my new condo in the glorious Ocean 1 Tower and comes in handy cruising the streets of Pattaya..I can simply return home park in the carpark and flop into bed while I await for the building to be erected...

we call it Hillbilly Chic

http://upload4.postimage.org/1308952/trailerwood.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1308952/photo_hosting.html)

Boxer
October 5th, 2006, 12:48
Gay Car of the Year 2006/7 is the BMW MINI
[/img]

wowpow
October 5th, 2006, 15:13
It's confusing for westerners in Thailand. A totally straight guy on the beach may well be wearing pink flip flops, a lavender Speedo and a rainbow towel on his head. Bangkok now boasts a fleet of brilliant pink taxis. My builder says that he bought his wife a Honda Jazz but he doesn't like to drive it as every gay in town (Pattaya) seems to have one?

Thais don't have a macho culture like so many Western countries. Men seem to just be themselves and do what they like confident and comfortable with their sexuality. I don't see camp in Thailand being a particularly gay thing. Traditional garb can be men in heavy make up and glittery gold decorations with a skirt and a long train.

I remember going into the Bang & Olufsen shop in Bangkok ( mainly to laugh at the prices ) and they had a new hi fi system with an aluminium finish an various colours. Their main display was a pink one. I asked if they had many gay customers and the Manager said " Oh yes sir. Gay customers are very important to us and account for 65% of our sales" My friend commented " Did you notice he didn't even blink and eye when you asked the question".

Talking about B & O's prices have you seen their gorgeous new mobile telephone The Serene retailing in the UK at ┬г850 ( 60,000 baht )

Boxer
October 5th, 2006, 20:37
'My builder says that he bought his wife a Honda Jazz but he doesn't like to drive it as every gay in town (Pattaya) seems to have one?'

I will sell mine immediately hahah!

October 5th, 2006, 20:50
Porsche and Mini Coopers the cars of choice for gay Chinese in Hong-Kong, it means that they then can only afford a 1m-square cage apartment, but as long as they are seen to be rich, it doesn't really matter what home looks like, as long as they arrive and depart in style.

October 5th, 2006, 22:01
According to Jeremy Clarkson, the Mazda MX-5 is a gay car:

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/articl ... 95,00.html (http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2023495,00.html)

October 6th, 2006, 00:06
The Miata has always been a popular gay car in Trendy Southern California. But BMWs and Jeeps are the other two most popular with SUVs (especially Subarus) being the choice of Lesbians.. The Honda Jazz (know as the "FIT" in the USA) is too new on the scene to show any buyer preference yet.

wowpow
October 6th, 2006, 00:19
How very strange that the Honda Jazz/Fit has just been launched in the USA. It's a terrific little car and was European Car of the year about 5 (maybe 4) years ago and is thought to be in the middle of it's lifetime. Maybe it's too small and does not drink enought? Maybe they were worried that it would eat into the massive Accord sales there.

It's certainly cute enough to be gay.

October 6th, 2006, 05:52
With the loss of cheap gas in the USA, Honda quickly decided to cash in by importing the Jazz/Fit and toyota jumped in also with the Yaris (quite inferior to the Jazz in my opinion). Both seem to be selling well. Nissan has just started selling their micro here also (the Versa).

I will miss my powerful Infiniti G35 coupe (Nissan GT350 in asia) when I move to thailand, but I think I can get by with a Jazz :)

October 6th, 2006, 16:15
Male Edsel: The Bottle Nose Morris. It was rather...phalic.

When I was nine, I pulled my mate, Boinky, way out in the country in my little red wagon.
I said, "Fuck or walk!"
He said, "I'll fuck!"
I said, "Okay, now what do I do?"

I miss the straps cars used to have at the back seat.
I'd bet jocks they couldn't get an ankle through each one and.... What a lovely way to lose a bet.

I once had a Urine Eight. It wasn't especially gay--Just something to piss around in.

Is there a Jazz Pervertable*?
*The top stays up--It's the driver goes down!