PDA

View Full Version : Sukhothai Hotel Bangkok

sydneyboy
October 4th, 2006, 07:58
Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently? From one comment on a hotel review website seemed to suggest that they allow visitors to rooms. Can anyone confirm this from direct experience?. Any up to date information on the hotel would be appreciated.

wowpow
October 4th, 2006, 11:12
http://www.sukhothai.com/

I have not visited this hotel but it does have a fine reputation and i some wealthy people's favourite hotel in Bangkok. Rooms are from 14,000 baht. Friends of friends have stayed there and brought back 'joiners' to their suite without comment. I think that most 5 star hotels cast a blind eye if one is not too obvious.

It is a very posh place, very elegant, crammed with real Thai antiques and objects d'art - very nice gardens, I hear. That's all I have. I am curious to hear what the site said about the place and joiners.

Up2U
October 4th, 2006, 11:15
This is one of the finest hotels in Bangkok and out of my league. I find it hard to believe they would permit short-time visitors.

http://www.sukhothai.com/

October 4th, 2006, 11:37
There is no problem with discrete joiners at the Sukhothai.

October 4th, 2006, 12:10
Yes I have stayed there on a few occasions. It is a nice hotel, fully Thai owned last I looked. The room rates vary, though it is perhaps a bit too expensive, given the competition. The trade off is it's lay out.

The best thing of all about this hotel, is, it is not a high-rise, you really feel like you are in Bangkok. The most expensive rooms are in my opinion not the best, they have a strange pivoting pillar in the middle of the room with a huge TV on top, it ruins the otherwise extremely elegant horizontal lay out. The bathrooms are the best in Thailand, they are as big as a spa and of course have double everything for his and his use. These rooms also have a nice french door that opens out onto the central water garden, so you dont have to use air-con, the breeze floating in of the water through the curtains is refreshing, and I left them open the whole night.

The newer wing over looking the pool is nice but not quite as beautiful, but certainly better value, it is also three floors, and very close to the Sauna. In my opinion no one would complain if you met a friend and brought them back, they probably wouldn't notice anyway, as you do not have to go through the central lobby to your room, unless you want to, and they are not in the habit of invading your privacy. I saw at least 2 gay couples staying there when I was there last year, they seemed to be having a happy relaxing time.

The strangest thing happened to me while I was staying at this hotel, I had just walked down the green and pleasant avenue leading to the hotel and was about to leave the gates, when a boy ran up to me and planted a big fat juicy smacker on my lips, and then dashed to catch a departing bus at the bus stop, right outside the gate. It was all so sudden I was left standing there with a wet face and what must have been a very happy look on my face. I dont know if this means the hotel is gay friendly or not, but it sure put me in a loving mood for the whole holliday.

October 4th, 2006, 13:01
Let me tell you it is VERY gay friendly.I used to stay there a lot.One morning I ordered room service breakfast and the waiter that brought it was a real looker.He was also gay and horny
and after depositing the tray on a table did a very fast strip.He left me with one of the more memorable statements that I have heard.We were going at it on the bed and I asked him if he had cum.He replied that at The Sukhothai the guests always came first!A good thing about The Sukhothai is that if you get one of the standard rooms on the ground floor in the main building you can access your room from outside without going through the lobby not that anyone in the lobby would care.The gym used to be quite cruisy and it is one of those hotels that appeal to the international gay jet set.The Sunday brunch is well known to attract well to do young gay Thais.I think it ranks right up there with the Four Seasons and Oriental as one of the best hotels in Bkk.

October 4th, 2006, 14:16
Seavest, I think that is just a bit more than we need to know. The staff could come under unnecessary scrutiny should this site ever be shredded by google search. In fact it might be better if you delete that bit about "room service" altogether, I am sure you understand, you don't want them changing their staffing policy, do you, that would be unfair?

The hotel is also very popular with Japanese gays and other Asians, giving it a nice atmosphere.

sydneyboy
October 4th, 2006, 14:41
Just for the record Up2U, my reference for joiners not being a problem was one contributor on the TripAdvisor website.

Cedric judging from another rather amusing TripAdvisor posting I think management at the Sukhothai is rather open minded. A women wrote that she and her husband decided to take advantage of an "in room"massage by 2 in house masseuses and, I quote, paraphrasing slightly, "the massage had to be curtailed as they were providing more of a Bangkok experience than we really wanted."

October 4th, 2006, 15:04
This often happens with "in-house" massages. Thats different, I mean when you strip naked and lie down on a bed and ask an inocent Thai masseur to pour oil all over you and rub you till kingdom come, the odd little slip is bound to happen.

Brad the Impala
October 4th, 2006, 16:12
In fact it might be better if you delete that bit about "room service" altogether, I am sure you understand, you don't want them changing their staffing policy, do you, that would be unfair?

Oh Cedric don't be such a killjoy! It's not as if the waiter was identified. I am sure the management would consider it another satisfied customer, especially if he came first.

October 4th, 2006, 19:52
I dunno, i would never be so indiscreet as to implicate the staff at any hotel I stayed in, I certainly wouldnt name the hotel either.

October 5th, 2006, 21:02
Indeed, one should be a little discrete.
Also the staff insists. I recently stayed at the Sukhothai and found one of the bellboys very handsome and charming. He was very friendly too but so were the girls at the reception desk! At night I met him at DJ-station and befriended further more. As we walked out he insisted going to his room rather than to the hotel because this could cause him a lot of trouble, even in his own time. At any rate his room was convenient too, just around the corner and very nicely decorated. He could afford a nice place like this because they get reasonable wages and even more tips that can be more than a typical daily wage. Indeed if one is paying like 20.000 bath for a suite, 200 baht (4 to 5 тВм) for the bellboy doesnтАЩt seem exaggerated.

sydneyboy
October 6th, 2006, 05:39
Thank you all who contributed comments. These were very helpful and much appreciated. I am going to start another thread on the Babylon Barracks. Comments there (another place I am considering) would be appreciated.

sydneyboy
October 17th, 2006, 16:46
To put this issue beyond doubt I E mailed the Sukhothai regarding their visitor policy and received this reply and I quote directly "Please be informed that we have our policy for the visitor that they have to drop their ID card with us for guest's security."

The English is quaint but the message clear.

October 19th, 2006, 16:48
[quote="sydneyboy

The English is quaint but the message clear.[/quote]

I was told by a Thai friend with a university degree that the Thai that was spoken by the different levels of staff was at a very good though. He was referring to the reception people, the restaurant staff, the concierge and the guy from room service. Only the limo driver's Thai was rather unpolished.

October 19th, 2006, 17:01
Feliciteert Henk, subtile. Or "sudle" as some might say.