PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Thai Rak Thai, The Party is over

wowpow
October 3rd, 2006, 15:30
Thaksin resigns from Thai Rak Thai

Ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra resigns from Thai Rak Thai Party on Tuesday, TRT's deputy leader Pongthep Thepkarnchana said.
Pongthep was reading a letter of Thaksin sent from London.
Thaksin, TRT leader, claimed that he decided to resign to solve the chaos in the country.

Thaksin who is now in London sent his message today to party members about his political future and the party's directions. The party will give a press briefing to tell the public about the decision

Thaksin was ousted last month when the military seized power from his government while he was in New York to attend UN General Assembly.
He then travelled to London where his family has an apartment to live with his daughter.

Thaksin's message came two days after Gen Surayud Jalanont was appointed as the prime minister of an interim government.

The Nation

================================================== ==========

TRT sinking like Titanic

Newly appointed Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont kneels and wais before His Holiness the Supreme Patriarch, who turns 93 today, at Wat Bowornniwet Vihara in Bangkok yesterday
Mass exodus of executives, factions follows threat of five-year ban over election violations

The Thai Rak Thai Party is on the verge of falling apart. Announcement No 27 by the Council for National Security (CNS) changing conditions in the act governing political parties has caused party executives and former MPs to jump ship en masse.

Wang Nam Yom leader Somsak Thepsuthin was leading members of the party's biggest faction out the door. Commanding over 100 members, his defection could all but spell the end to Thai Rak Thai's phenomenal domination of Thai politics. Putting the nail in Thai Rak Thai's coffin, deputy leader Sontaya Kunplome also said he and his 20-member faction have resigned.

According to party officials, a total of 62 former Thai Rak Thai MPs have submitted their resignations, 25 of whom are party executives.

Among Son-taya's faction members to resign were Sa-nga Thana-sanguanwong, Ittipon Kunplome, Charnyuth Heng-trakul, Kritsada Karun and Pramote Weerapong.

Somsak's secretary brought the Wang Nam Yom resignation forms to the party yesterday. All resignation letters contained Somsak's signature.

Although no reasons were given in the resignation forms, sources said the faction was alarmed by the CNS' announcement, which will ban executive members of any party for five years if the party is dissolved for breaking electoral laws.

Original laws banned executives of a dissolved party from forming a new party or becoming executives in a new party, but they were free to run in a new election.

The Thai Rak Thai Party is facing trial for allegedly hiring smaller parties to serve as its proxies in the April election, which was later nullified by the courts......full article

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/10 ... 015251.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/10/03/headlines/headlines_30015251.php)

October 3rd, 2006, 16:29
They are dropping like flies, good-by TRT. Thaksin must be very bored, writing a resignation letter. I wonder who he sent it to, the cleaning staff ?
Teepee are the botox rumours true or not, can you move your eye balls?

October 3rd, 2006, 18:10
They are dropping like flies, good-by TRT. Thaksin must be very bored, writing a resignation letter. I wonder who he sent it to, the cleaning staff ?
Teepee are the botox rumours true or not, can you move your eye balls?

There is more movement in the display figures at Madame Tussauds in London than there is in TeePee/WowPow.

At least when TeePee shrugs off this mortal coil they will find that the embalming has already been done. He is not known as 'Waxman' at Tawan Bar for nothing.
:cheers:

cuteboy
October 3rd, 2006, 19:32
I wonder if we would be just as jolly, and quick to throw mud, were we talking about the Republican Party in the USA, another political force freely elected by the people of the country.
I did not much care for Thaksin, so the parallel is stronger than you might think.
Suddenly the Cabinet are 'cronies'
The constitutional approach would be for the King to sack the Prime Minister and call elections. It is regrettable that Thailand has been unable to find one.
The people of Thailand may be a bit naive politically, but they are not stupid and voted for the party that improved rural incomes and introduced an affordable Health Service for the poor. Demands respect in my view.
I hope that the policies, so clearly supported by the people of Thailand, survive.
So he was a mass-murderer? Not like George Bush then. We can be thankful for that.

October 3rd, 2006, 19:37
TeePee is NOT known as WaxMan at Tawan Bar. I know for a fact that he is fondly known as "Papa Chocolate"

ajarntrade

October 3rd, 2006, 19:57
Hmmm...wonder why they're resigning? Perhaps to start a new party, with a new name, but with the same old faces. Only TRT's executive committee have been threatened with a ban on political activities (all without having been convicted, or officially accused for that matter) with anything illegal.

October 3rd, 2006, 20:21
TeePee is NOT known as WaxMan at Tawan Bar. I know for a fact that he is fondly known as "Papa Chocolate"

ajarntrade

I obviously speak to different boys than you do!

October 3rd, 2006, 20:42
Only TRT's executive committee have been threatened with a ban on political activities (all without having been convicted, or officially accused for that matter) with anything illegal.

Well, I trust that you know the court has been hearing a case against TRT who allegedly paid and employed a group of people to set up a party to compete with themselves in the last election. If TRT is found quilty, it is likely that the party will be dissolved and as you said above that TRT's 110 executive committee will be baned for 5 years.

Hmmm...wonder why they're resigning? Perhaps to start a new party, with a new name, but with the same old faces.

I think so. Many TRT party members may also hope that if they resign now and are no longer a TRT member they will be free from the 5 years ban if the party is found quilty.

Brad the Impala
October 3rd, 2006, 22:20
[quote="cuteboy"]
The people of Thailand may be a bit naive politically, but they are not stupid and voted for the party that improved rural incomes and introduced an affordable Health Service for the poor. Demands respect in my view.
quote]

And would being a bit naive make them more or less naive than those who voted for Bush or Blair?

Self interest, not surprisingly, drives the majority of voters in any election.

October 3rd, 2006, 22:23
Many TRT party members may also hope that if they resign now and are no longer a TRT member they will be free from the 5 years ban if the party is found quilty.
Isn't that along the lines of "I murdered my parents when my name was Lizzie Borden. My name now is different so you cannot convict me of those crimes"?

Brad the Impala
October 3rd, 2006, 22:25
I think so. Many TRT party members may also hope that if they resign now and are no longer a TRT member they will be free from the 5 years ban if the party is found quilty.

I read that also, but they surely are naive or desparate! "I may have been a member at the time that we decided to, and actually did break the law, but I am not a member any longer so actually I am innocent!"

Could this also be why Thaksin has resigned from TRT?

October 3rd, 2006, 22:31
Well, I trust that you know the court has been hearing a case against TRT who allegedly paid and employed a group of people to set up a party to compete with themselves in the last election. If TRT is found quilty, it is likely that the party will be dissolved and as you said above that TRT's 110 executive committee will be baned for 5 years.

Yes, of course I know. And I trust you know that charges of a serious similar nature are also due to be heard in court against the Democrat Party.

October 3rd, 2006, 22:35
Thaksin is considering taking a break from murdering and thieving.

October 3rd, 2006, 22:39
Don't worry, the military boys are poised to continue without a pause. And they have far more experience at it than Thaksin ever did.

October 3rd, 2006, 22:41
Oh, and the military don't limit their killing to drug dealers and terrorists, either (like Thaksin did). They're quite happy to murder civilians, if the mood strikes them.

Brad the Impala
October 3rd, 2006, 23:20
I think that you will find that most of those killed in the war on drugs were civilians. Anecdotal evidence suggests that some had no involvement in drugs at all, but were simply the victims of score settling.

Anyway I thought you wanted the law upheld! Now you are defending extra judiciary killings!

October 3rd, 2006, 23:27
Just ask Homi, he'll tell you. I want anyone who knows someone who lived next door to someone whose cousin once bought a joint strung up without trial, right alongside anyone who looks the wrong way at a child aged 17 years 364 days.

Seriously, I'm not defending extra-judicial killings. I'm merely pointing out that the military's reputation in this area is one well-earned after decades and decades of spilled blood. In fact, if you look at most of the killings that happened under Thaksin's rule, it was the military and police on the other side of the guns. Don't tell me that all those nice young boys became ruthless killers overnight just because Mr. T. gave them the green light.

Face it, we are now in the hands of the single most corrupt and ruthless institution ever to exist on Thai soil.

October 3rd, 2006, 23:32
Put your money on Thai Rak Farang for the next erection.

October 4th, 2006, 08:12
Oh, and the military don't limit their killing to drug dealers and terrorists, either (like Thaksin did). They're quite happy to murder civilians, if the mood strikes them.

Boygeenyus, I think we have discussed Bush and American foreign policy to death already.

Some hot breaking news.
The interim government has vowed to crack down heavily on any attempt on Tesco's part to carry on with it's unchecked expansion plans. This government just can't put a foot wrong, can they?

TRT members are like rats on a sinking ship, none will get away, nothing like turning on themselves, to once and for all, obliterate the party for ever. Even so, it is quite urgent that Thaksin has his financial means dramatically curtailed, who knows what other monster may arise from the ashes.

October 4th, 2006, 08:18

Boygeenyus, I think we have discussed Bush and American foreign policy to death already.

Some hot breaking news.
The interim government has vowed to crack down heavily on any attempt on Tesco's part to carry on with it's unchecked expansion plans. This government just can't put a foot wrong, can they?

TRT members are like rats on a sinking ship, none will get away, nothing like turning on themselves, to once and for all, obliterate the party for ever.
Oh please, don't get carried away!
The new government is a military dictatorship. The quicker it dissolves itself the better, because if it doesn't happen quickly, Thailand could be stuck with this for many years.

October 4th, 2006, 08:44
The new government is a military dictatorship. The quicker it dissolves itself the better, because if it doesn't happen quickly, Thailand could be stuck with this for many years.

And thats where you are wrong. There is no urgency to dissolve the interim government. The most pressing issue of the day is to bring the Thai people together, to re-unify and to set the country on course for a proper Democracy, to safeguard the economy and ensure sustainable growth for everyone.

No loud mouthed unilateral actions on America's part will change that.

October 4th, 2006, 08:45
Anyway I thought you wanted the law upheld! Now you are defending extra judiciary killings!You're surprised?

October 4th, 2006, 09:30

And thats where you are wrong. There is no urgency to dissolve the interim government. The most pressing issue of the day is to bring the Thai people together, to re-unify and to set the country on course for a proper Democracy, to safeguard the economy and ensure sustainable growth for everyone.

No loud mouthed unilateral actions on America's part will change that.
Sorry, you are a naive idiot.
Your theory makes as much sense as Bush's idea that you can force democracy at the barrel of a gun.
So by your vision, a military dictatorship can order this "unity" etc. you seek. Not that simple or that easy, and if they hold power for too long (and now they have total power) they will not be happy to give it up willingly.
Don't be fooled in believing the King is pro-democracy either.
BTW, I was happy to hear about the coup because Thaksin had to be crushed, but it was a necesary EVIL, nothing to dance in the streets about, certainly another proof that Thailand is not even close to being a real democracy.

October 4th, 2006, 09:57
Thaiquila is starting to wise up. Cedric, meantime, is still a naive idiot.

October 4th, 2006, 11:09
BTW, I was happy to hear about the coup because Thaksin had to be crushed, but it was a necesary EVIL, nothing to dance in the streets about, certainly another proof that Thailand is not even close to being a real democracy.

And tell us, do you think America is a proper democracy? Thailand was no better under Thaksin than America is today. Do you really think democracy is having two candidates backed to the eye balls with cash from private interest groups, buying prime time TV e.t.c, is democracy? Do you really believe that? Just because Thaksin actually owned his TV station doesn't make it any worse.

Of course Thailand needs to get the country together before they hand it back to the likes of Thaksin. And of course they need a knew constitution, these things take time, and lengthy public consultation, no instant gratification here. While I understand your opinions on the Thai monarchy, coming from a rather naive but emboldened meritocracy as you do, I think your knowledge of the present Thai monarchy and Thai people is badly informed. The Thai people would not have stood for a lengthy military dictatorship, thats why there is already a civilian interim government in place.

Dont believe every best seller that comes along, it is hardly the most suitable criteria for the truth. Next you will be quoting "The DA Vinci Code".

October 4th, 2006, 11:13
They have stood for a long term military rule before. I hope it doesn't happen again this time.
I will believe there will be new elections in late 2007 WHEN I see it. I am skeptical and with good reason.
And no, the USA democracy is not perfect, and bush is the worst president in US history, but there is no comparison to Thailand. In 2008 we will have elections like clockwork.
I am not making a value judgement on Thailand not being a democracy. Just stating a fact. It is their country. It is just silly to think it is something it isn't.

October 4th, 2006, 11:34
Why does every post Cedric makes, supposedly about Thailand, always end up bashing America? We're talking about THAILAND here, numb nuts!

October 4th, 2006, 12:30
In this instance it appears that democracy was being held up as some sort of sacred cow by an American. Like clock work there will be an election in America, yes and like clock work it will be another fiasco not resembling anything democratic at all.

Aunty
October 4th, 2006, 14:53
Hanging shards anybody?

Brad the Impala
October 4th, 2006, 17:47

And if the military stay in power indefinitely, they will be outstaying their welcome, and that will really unify the country in wanting them out.

Bob
October 5th, 2006, 06:09
an election in America...... not resembling anything democratic at all.

Well, you continue to score a 9.9 on the ignorant scale. Whether you do or don't like who wins hardly controls whether the election is democratic or not.

But, let's see, rather than using a vote, I use a tank. Duh, I guess that makes it resemble a democracy....

October 5th, 2006, 07:53
an election in America...... not resembling anything democratic at all.
Well, you continue to score a 9.9 on the ignorant scale. Whether you do or don't like who wins hardly controls whether the election is democratic or notPerhaps Young Master Cedric is referring to the infamous swinging chads in Florida (or were they hanging?) in the 2000 presidential election. I believe Hedda was of the same tendency. No electoral process is perfect, and the intervention in politics by the Supreme Court is certainly arguable as to whether it was appropriate. However just as (cliche coming up) one swallow does not make a boyfriend, so one failure in a process that works reasonably well doesn't vitiate the entire concept. Whatever one may want to say about Americans (crass, vulgar, ignorant, insular - I'm ready to lead the charge), non-democratic is not one of their faults

October 5th, 2006, 07:55
In the 2000 US election, the supreme court had to intervene. The issue is their decision and the obvious right wing political bias of their decision.

Bob
October 5th, 2006, 10:27
Being "enlightened" on a subject with the depth of knowledge of a few newspaper headlines leads to sweeping and incorrect statements like that. Had you read the US Supreme Court decision, you might understand that the Court followed the rule of law regardless of how "democratically" unsweet you may feel that might be.

By the way, I didn't vote for Bush and detest him and his team; notwithstanding, I have no substantial complaint with how the Supreme Court ruled. Had I been sitting with the 9, I would have held my nose and been compelled to vote the same way. And if one understood the US Constitution and the notion of the electoral college (a notion intentionally adopted by the founding fathers), one can understand the rare possibility that one candidate is elected with less actual votes than the other candidate (ergo, Bush!).

October 5th, 2006, 10:33
Being "enlightened" on a subject with the depth of knowledge of a few newspaper headlines leads to sweeping and incorrect statements like that. Had you read the US Supreme Court decision, you might understand that the Court followed the rule of law regardless of how "democratically" unsweet you may feel that might be.

By the way, I didn't vote for Bush and detest him and his team; notwithstanding, I have no substantial complaint with how the Supreme Court ruled. Had I been sitting with the 9, I would have held my nose and been compelled to vote the same way. And if one understood the US Constitution and the notion of the electoral college (a notion intentionally adopted by the founding fathers), one can understand the rare possibility that one candidate is elected with less actual votes than the other candidate (ergo, Bush!).
BULLSHIT!
They could have ruled to COUNT ALL THE FLORIDA VOTES.
This has nothing to do with the electoral college; had to do with resolving the Florida result.
There was also the issue on whether the ruling of the Florida supreme court would hold. They nixed it.
The right wingers are for state's rights when it suits them, against them when it isn't.

Bob
October 5th, 2006, 10:43
"Could of" seems to imply you think they just rule whichever way they feel like at the moment. Hate to tell you, that's not how it works. If you read the decision and understood the procedural and substantive rules which shape their ruling, you might understand that. Even on close (e.g., 5-4 rulings), one can usually understand the rationale each side used.

October 5th, 2006, 10:48
"Could of" seems to imply you think they just rule whichever way they feel like at the moment. Hate to tell you, that's not how it works. If you read the decision and understood the procedural and substantive rules which shape their ruling, you might understand that. Even on close (e.g., 5-4 rulings), one can usually understand the rationale each side used.
The anti democratic ruling on this case was the darkest day in American judicial history.

DISSENTING OPINION GORE VERSUS BUSH:

Justice Stevens' dissent scathingly concluded:

What must underlie petitioners' entire federal assault on the Florida election procedures is an unstated lack of confidence in the impartiality and capacity of the state judges who would make the critical decisions if the vote count were to proceed. Otherwise, their position is wholly without merit. The endorsement of that position by the majority of this Court can only lend credence to the most cynical appraisal of the work of judges throughout the land. It is confidence in the men and women who administer the judicial system that is the true backbone of the rule of law. Time will one day heal the wound to that confidence that will be inflicted by today's decision. One thing, however, is certain. Although we may never know with complete certainty the identity of the winner of this year's Presidential election, the identity of the loser is perfectly clear. It is the Nation's confidence in the judge as an impartial guardian of the rule of law.
I respectfully dissent.

October 5th, 2006, 11:47
Im with Thaquillia on this one.

October 5th, 2006, 11:49
What a surprise.