PDA

View Full Version : Enormous shakeup of visa and immigration rules...

travelerjim
October 2nd, 2006, 17:39
Enormous shakeup of visa and immigration rules...as reported by ThaiVisa.com and Pattaya Today...see postings and many, many discussion threads on:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86514 .

http://www.pattayatoday.net/ .

Most farangs will be affected

What began as a restriction on the number of 30 day visas on arrival has turned out to be a major reshuffling of immigration regulations, most of which were framed as far back as 1979. The new rules apply to short term and long term tourists and farang residents and cover yearly extensions of various types, investment visas and even work permits.

The fact that it was announced on September 24 that the national immigration bureau chief lieutenant general Suwit Thamrongsrisakul has been transferred to an inactive post is not thought to have any bearing on visa matters. None the less, Pattaya Today stresses that the changes described below were accurate as of September 26, when we went to press, with an anticipated implementation date of October 1.

тАЬLivingтАЭ in Thailand on 30 day visas.

As previously announced, it will no longer be possible to тАЬliveтАЭ in Thailand simply by travelling to the border of a neighbouring country and receiving indefinitely the 30 day visa on arrival.

In future, foreigners will only be able to тАЬliveтАЭ in Thailand on visas on arrival only for up to 90 days (three months) in any 180 (six months) day period. Effectively, this means three consecutive runs to the border post (30+30+30) are the limit. The most commonly used border posts for Pattaya based visa runners are Aranyaprathet, Pong Nam Ron and Pailin in Cambodia.

Foreigners wishing to go on тАЬlivingтАЭ in Thailand for the next three months would need to obtain a prior tourist visa at a Thai consulate or embassy in another country тАУ not at a border post. The most likely destination for the budget traveller is Penang where the Thai consul general is currently awarding single entry tourist visas. These used to be valid for a stay of up to 60 days but from October 1 they are valid for a stay of 90 days. They cannot be extended.

The presumption is that, after that 90 days has elapsed using the Penang visa, foreigners would then be free to take visa runs to the Cambodian border for a further three months (30+30+30) before needing to return again to Penang or wherever

Foreigners travelling to Penang are advised to go and return by air. Some travellers have experienced difficulties on the Thai side of the Malaysian border when trying to return by train, even with a new visa.

The immigration bureau has confirmed that there is no limit to the number of 30 day visas on arrival for an individual, provided that he or she is тАЬlivingтАЭ not in Thailand for longer than 90 days in any block of 180 days.

The logic behind the new rules about visas on arrival is to discourage their use as a kind of cheap residence permit.

Extensions to 30 day visas.

In an important new ruling, the former 15 day extension of a 30 day visa on arrival at Thai immigration offices has been changed to 7 days only. You may also have a 7 days stamp placed in your passport if the immigration authority refuses your application for a retirement or married manтАЩs visa or if you are deemed to have made too many visa runs to the Cambodian border. If you get such a stamp, you must quit Thailand within one week or risk arrest for overstay.

Abolition of investment visa.

This visa allowed foreigners to reside in Thai for a year provided they placed 3 million baht in a Thai bank or in bonds. It was often used by foreigners under 50 who did not yet qualify in age for a retirement visa but wished to be based in Thailand. The understanding is that existing applications and renewals will be accepted, but that no new applications can be made from the beginning of October 2006.

The so called retirement visa.

This allows foreigners aged 50 and over to extend a non-immigrant visa for up to 12 months from the date of the last entry into Thailand. It requires either 800,000 baht in a Thai bank or a combination of cash in the bank and proof of pension paid in the home country. A letter from the respective embassy is required for proof of pension. From now on, the immigration officer will need to see proof that the 800,000 baht has been there for three months prior to the visa being issued. This is to stop the practice of moving money into a bank account, and promptly out again, once the visa is granted.

The old regulation, however, that you must produce an annual medical certificate for this visa has been withdrawn.

The so called married manтАЩs visa.

This allows the foreign, legal spouse of a Thai national to extend a non-immigrant visa for up to 12 months from the date of the last entry into Thailand. The minimum cash in a Thai bank is 400,000 baht. As with the retirement variant, checks will be made in future to ensure that the cash is not simply put in a bank and then removed. This visa is issued in Bangkok only and, during the waiting period, checks can be made by immigration police at your bank to see if there has been a big cash withdrawal! If the funds have disappeared, you may be ordered to leave Thailand in 7 days. Local immigration officers will also visit your home to verify that you really do live together as man and wife.

Work permit regulations.

We are advised that work permits with the term тАЬConsultantтАЭ in the title will not be accepted in future. It is felt the term is too vague and potentially condones work related activity contrary to the alien labour act. Obviously, work permit holders need to consult their lawyers about the detail.

Those applying for work permits for the first time will first require a non-immigrant business (type тАЬBтАЭ) visa from a Thai consulate or embassy abroad. This will only be granted if the applicant has a Wp3 work permit receipt form from the Labour Office, photocopy of all limited company registration papers, all official paperwork showing company stamp, invitation letter from the limited company advising on your potential role and stating salary, photocopy of your passport, two passport size photos.

Multiple entry visas.

Many Thai consulates in the Pacific rim, specifically Penang, have now issued statements that they will issue only single entry visas in future. This ruling is irrespective of type. However, if foreigners choose to return to the country of their passport (say Europe, USA, Australia) they may find that multiple entry visas, both tourist and non-immigrant, are still being awarded. The reasoning seems to be that if you need a double, triple or multiple entry visa, then go back to your own country.

-- Pattaya Today 2006-10-02

TravelerJim
for Affordable International Health & Travel Insurance
Please visit www.tjinsurance.com (http://www.tjinsurance.com) .

October 2nd, 2006, 17:46
Oh, God. I can hear the collective whine of Bangkok's coddled "expats" already...

allieb
October 2nd, 2006, 20:08
Oh, God. I can hear the collective whine of Bangkok's coddled "expats" already...

You are also a Bangkok expat dear. Don't be so cynical one day your face may not fit with your employers and they might say goodbye boygeenyus. You will be whining then

October 2nd, 2006, 20:24
Nice try, dear, but I am self-employed and have attained Thai citizenship.

wowpow
October 2nd, 2006, 20:33
TravellerJim I am glad you posted this. I had scanned it earlier and not spotted anything new to me but on re-reading I see that there is.

Firstly I must say that the way Thai Immigration have announced this new must be a prime example of how to nor so do.

Even the Pattaya Mail is not exact and may cause confusion. There are two ways to enter Thailand without obtaining a Visa abroad.

1) This is Visa on Arrival which is available to about 15 countries. It seems this has not been extended from 15 days to 30 days and only 3 are allowed in a period of 180 days and not extendable ?

2) Permission to stay for 30 days for tourism purposes Visa Free available to 43 main Western country's citizens. Now to be restricted from unlimited repeats to 3 withing 180 days. Extendable for only 7 days.

Country listings are available on www.thaivisa.com (http://www.thaivisa.com).

================================================== ====

Retirement Visa. This is the new on to me. One will have to have 800,000 baht in a bank for 3 months before applying. Presumable they will allow a grace period of at least 3 months from implementation on 1st October?

Presumably the previous rule where you can show a pension of 65,000 baht a Month OR 800,000 in the bank or a mix of the two e.g. 400,000 in the bank and a pension of 32,500 a month will still apply.

I am not sure why they have introduced this rule as My understanding is that you cannot move large sums out of Thailand easily. I was told to keep copies of my Totosan documents when buying condos as you need to show them to send the money out if you sell.

================================================== =====

The situation where Thai Consular Services in various countries, or branches within one country, make their own decisions which Visas they will allow or not and that they vary this during the year is pretty ludicrous - well extremely ludicrous actually.

October 2nd, 2006, 20:42
When living under a military dictatorship, one cannot "presume" anything. Welcome to Thailand in 2006!

October 2nd, 2006, 20:51
"Welcome to Thailand in 2006!"

I doubt this is anything to do with the Coup ( according to my intimate insider knowledge)...these rules must have been in the planning for ages and are just another money making scheme...but is there any other country that allows people to retire to so cheaply ???...especially a bunch of old bats like us.

wowpow
October 2nd, 2006, 20:52
Kindly explain the difference between life under P M Taksin and now. "Presumably" there is none for most Thai Nationals?

allieb
October 2nd, 2006, 20:55
Nice try, dear, but I am self-employed and have attained Thai citizenship.

Aren't you full of surprises? Just when I thought it was safe to back into the water. "Jaws 2"

I hope you didn't give up your original nationality. After all a Thai passport is only good in Thailand, not much clout elsewhere. Do tell how citizenship came to pass.

yaraboy
October 2nd, 2006, 21:14
Still not clear what this means to boa fide tourists. Understand that over a period of 90 days one can have 3 entry stamps.
If over say a 45 day period one needed a 4th stamp can it be purchased in a foreign city ? Does this restrict one to a single entry into Thailand or can one use this new visa 3 times? What is cost ? I shis how one can avoid the 90 absence from Thailand after use of a triple entry visa.

October 2nd, 2006, 21:17
You are also a Bangkok expat dear. Don't be so cynical one day your face may not fit with your employers and they might say goodbye boygeenyus. You will be whining thenThe lad has gone done the route of getting permanent residence. The rest of us are scum for not doing the same

October 2nd, 2006, 22:22
You are also a Bangkok expat dear. Don't be so cynical one day your face may not fit with your employers and they might say goodbye boygeenyus. You will be whining thenThe lad has gone done the route of getting permanent residence. The rest of us are scum for not doing the same

Don't put such words in my mouth, homi. SOME of you are scum not all. You obviously identify with the term, though, which is a good thing. Self-realization is the first step towards rehabilitation.

In any case, I think I am now feeling what you so wittily called "schadenfreude". In fact, my schadenfreude is off the scale at the moment at the thought that life may be getting more difficult for you in the country you hate so much.

allieb
October 2nd, 2006, 23:27

Don't put such words in my mouth, homi. SOME of you are scum not all. You obviously identify with the term, though, which is a good thing. Self-realization is the first step towards rehabilitation.

In any case, I think I am now feeling what you so wittily called "schadenfreude". In fact, my schadenfreude is off the scale at the moment at the thought that life may be getting more difficult for you in the country you hate so much.

Your day will come Marie Antoinette and a lot of people on this board will be in the front row knitting.

wowpow
October 3rd, 2006, 00:16
yaraboy -It seems that you can get 3 back to back 30 day visa free entries nd then go abroad and get a tourist visa for 90 days. When that runs out you can start another batch of 30 days back to backs ad infinitum.

allieb
October 3rd, 2006, 01:56
yaraboy -It seems that you can get 3 back to back 30 day visa free entries nd then go abroad and get a tourist visa for 90 days. When that runs out you can start another batch of 30 days back to backs ad infinitum.

Tee Pee

I read the same way. It seems that you can do that. That is of course until a stroppy immigration officer decides you have just gotten round the regulations and slaps a 7 day stamp in your passport to pack up and get out. You might as well get the right visa in the first place or give up. You wont beat them. The Thais always seem to have the last word.

Of course we are still waiting to see how boygeenyus did the impossible and got citizenship. That's another way of staying indefinitely.

Aunty
October 3rd, 2006, 02:36
Well at the risk of being flammed, I say good on the Thais for cleaning up their immigration act and putting in some standards found, not unsurprisingly, in most other countries of the world.

Davey612
October 3rd, 2006, 04:00
[Of course we are still waiting to see how boygeenyus did the impossible and got citizenship. That's another way of staying indefinitely.

Actually, he did, awhile ago:
In case Justin's ridiculous assertions need to be disproved any further, here is my case: arrived to work in Thailand in my mid-twenties. Now in my early forties, having received (first) Permanent Residence and then Thai citizenship in due course, with little fuss, no lawyers, under-the-counter payments, or "influential" friends. I now hold a Thai passport and ID card and enjoy all the same rights and privileges as any other Thai citizen -- whether born here or naturalized.

People who contend that "unless you were born Thai, you have no rights here" are typically fringe-of-society losers, malconents, ignoramuses, or (most often) all three.

You can follow the rest of that long long discussion between the genious and el matador at: http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... php?t=9176 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9176)

October 3rd, 2006, 06:30
Respect for the law seems to be a moveable feast in the world of boygeenyus. I assume that growing up in Texas and exploring his sexuality would have put the lad in breach of the law (the US Supreme Court didnтАЩt strike down the Texas sodomy law until 2003) but even if that isnтАЩt true we have seen at least one post by boygeenyus that he too (occasionally) goes to a go-go bar, тАЬoffsтАЭ a boy and engages in an act of prostitution тАУ still a crime in Thailand. From previous rants we know that his attitude to accused (not convicted) drug-dealers and paedophiles comes straight from the Ku Klux Klan тАУ тАЬstring тАШem upтАЭ

But all us scum visa runners and sex-tourists тАУ well, the law should deal with us in the proper way тАУ and we should respect the law. But respect for the rule of law is indivisible тАУ either you do or you donтАЩt. The lad wants to respect the law selectively. And where does that lead? Inevitably it breeds corruption тАУ another topic about which boygeenyus gets all hot and bothered. He wants to stamp out corruption while expecting that its cause (selective application of the law) should occur in his case тАУ because he is such a model citizen and fine upstanding fellow

I think that's the sort of person described in Matthew 23.27 тАУ тАЬWoe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres.тАЭ What do you think?

Note to Smiles: Not a "frankly" in sight, dear

There will now be a response from boygeenyus which begins "You silly old fool ..." and indulges in special pleading and ad hominem arguments of the most specious kind. I, on the other hand, will continue my visa runs secure in the knowledge that I can

October 3rd, 2006, 10:11
What need do you have of a Visa Run Colonel?

Did you give up your APEC Business Card? (After all it was you who introduced me to this wonderful little travel accessory)

It gives you multiple entry rights to the 17 participating countries for up to 60 days at each time over a 3 year period

With all of your too-ing and fro-ing across the globe for your Family Company there should be no need for you to do the run.

It is a most excellent piece of plastic (not needed for me here in Indonesia as I have been granted my KITAS - but beneficial for when I travel throughout Asia) and should be considered by any frequent business traveller in the region

www.immi.gov.au/skilled/business/apec/index.htm (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/business/apec/index.htm)

October 3rd, 2006, 10:16
APEC card...interesting.

October 3rd, 2006, 10:51
There will now be a response from boygeenyus which begins "You silly old fool ..."

Why would I bother responding to you when you claim to have me on ignore?

Aunty
October 3rd, 2006, 11:09
APEC card...interesting.

Indeed boygeenyus. Gentleman, a link for your information.

www.businessmobility.org/key/abtc.html (http://www.businessmobility.org/key/abtc.html)

Which rather begs the question, doesn't it Colonel Plonker-Dunce, just what nationality of passport are you actually traveling on? My suspicion, one that I've long held, is it's a New Zealand one.

October 3rd, 2006, 11:17
I am SO confused.

First thing they talk about current Visas but most get 90 day VISAS on arrival and Americans get 30 day arrivals that I have been corrected NUMEROOUS times to mean "NO VISA", So I can't understand what they mean by all the changes as they seem to mix them up instaed of treating each (Visa on aqrrival, tourist visa, no visa, business visa, ...) separately.

I still see an example given that "thus, travellers that have used three 30-day arrivals would be denied entry into Thailand."

Davey612
October 3rd, 2006, 12:50
APEC card...interesting.

Indeed boygeenyus. Gentleman, a link for your information.

www.businessmobility.org/key/abtc.html (http://www.businessmobility.org/key/abtc.html)

Which rather begs the question, doesn't it Colonel Plonker-Dunce, just what nationality of passport are you actually traveling on? My suspicion, one that I've long held, is it's a New Zealand one.

I can see young master Cedric rushing his application to HK immigration now. :-)

allieb
October 3rd, 2006, 14:59
In case boygeenyus decides to ignore my question of how he got citizenship, I have pasted some information on the subject.

It is far from a done deal even if you appear to qualify. Note what is says.''its an advantage to be married to a Thai citizen and having children born in Thailand'' Like other countries that don't encourage citizenship, including the one I live in, Thailand has clauses to get rid of you when your face doesn't fit any more. One such clause is breaking the law.

If you do have Thai citizenship boygeenyus then be careful the next time you off a boy it might be your last night out in Thailand. Prostitution for the seller and the buyer is illegal in Thailand. As I said before nothing is secure in Thailand, they always have the last word.

Like everywhere rules can be bent for famous people like celebrates or famous sportsmen etc. if they bring good PR to Thailand. What did boygeenyus have to offer Thailand.

Citizenship

Aliens who wish to apply for Thai nationality under the Nationality Act B.E. 2508 (A.D. 1965)

They must be of the age of majority, be of good character, be gainfully employed, have continuously lived in Thailand for not less than FIVE years and have knowledge of the Thai language. (Section 10) It's an advantage to be married to a Thai citizen and having children born in Thailand or having studied in a local university/college as an undergraduate. The applicant must complete an application form and submit various required documents to the Criminal Investigation Division Group I, Subdivision 3, Police Department, Rama I Road, Bangkok.

The official fee is Baht 5,000. The processing takes 2 to 3 years.

In the case of a minor child sponsored by a mother or father having Thai nationality, there must be evidence of both sponsorship and the child's birth. Likewise, a wife seeking Thai citizenship based on her husband's Thai nationality must submit evidence of the husband's nationality, the marriage, and a formal request for Thai citizenship.

--------------------

October 3rd, 2006, 16:22
The process is simple, allieb, and well-described elsewhere. Basically, three straight years on a work permit gives you the right to apply for residency. Five years of residency gives you the right to apply for citizenship. You do need to demonstrate proficiency in Thai, both written and spoken (I have passed the grade school equivalency exam). It really is not that difficult at all, although it does take some time and running about. And I have been told that marriage is not that important. I am not married (obviously) and it didn't hurt me.

I also wouldn't worry about offing boys, not that it matters to me: as I said in another thread, I haven't been in a boy bar in over a year. It's probably been two or three since I offed anyone. Just doesn't appeal to me after so long here. I'm more of a sauna guy if it's sex I'm after.

October 3rd, 2006, 17:44
Well at the risk of being flammed, I say good on the Thais for cleaning up their immigration act and putting in some standards found, not unsurprisingly, in most other countries of the world.

I totally agree with your sentiments.

It is high time that the authorities clamped down of the immigration policy regulations which will still be more generous than many other countries in the 'civilised' world.

There is so much farang dross living in Thailand illegally that the cleanup can only be good news for the Thai people and the Kingdom as a whole.

Genuine tourists will not be affected so the cries of 'it will decimate tourism' are most likely being shrieked by the persistent sex tourists or property speculators who are now going to get their fingers burned.

We will soon be seeing farangs who live here trying to do a border run only to be refused entry back in Thailand, it will prove to be interesting as to how they then safeguard their property from outside of the Kingdom :bounce:

October 3rd, 2006, 22:34
You call it dross, I call it scum. Either way, we agree that it's about time something was done about it.

October 4th, 2006, 05:01
Depositing 800,000 3 months in advance seems a pain in the butt. Even to open a bank account before you have a retirement VISA requires getting a signed "quarantee" from a Thai Citizen that you know who has a job or your home back has to "wire" proof of your account in the USA. I assume the US consulate is still signing "proof of Pension" forms on your word and that this is still being accepted in lieu of the 800,000 baht deposit.

October 4th, 2006, 09:52
Which rather begs the question, doesn't it Colonel Plonker-Dunce, just what nationality of passport are you actually traveling on? My suspicion, one that I've long held, is it's a New Zealand one.Unlike Aunty (and Bad Boy Billy) I am not a closet Australian. Like Young Master Cedric I travel on passports of convenience, of which I have a collection, along with an ever-growing list of countries who are foolish enough to give me permanent or long-term residence. However, the whole question of residence or citizenship is something I regard as just soooo last century

Two things that aren't a secret (I've been quite open about them in previous posts) are that I do hold an APEC Business Travel Card and that boygeenyus is on my {Ignore} list so I don't get to read his rants nowadays unless someone else quotes him

October 4th, 2006, 09:56
along with an ever-growing list of countries who are foolish enough to give me permanent or long-term residence

Thankfully, Thailand isn't among them, Mr. Apec Card.

wowpow
October 4th, 2006, 11:00
I wondered what this might be. Presumably I am not alone in my ignorance of this curious card for businessmen. Here is a bit of blurb from the New Zealand Government. The generous Visa arrangements look very desirable.

"The APEC Business Travel Card
Time is precious when you travel overseas for business, so why wait around in queues
The APEC Business Travel Card provides accredited business people with streamlined access to participating APEC countries. Cardholders enjoy:
* express immigration clearance through special APEC lanes on arrival and departure
* no requirement to apply for visas or entry permits
* multiple entry to participating countries for a stay of up to 90 days on each visit.
The card is valid for three years and is based on a unique electronic pre-clearance system, providing members with VIP entry into 17 APEC countries.
Used in conjunction with your passport, the card is eligible for travel to:
Australia Indonesia Philippines
Brunei Darussalam Japan Peru
Chile Malaysia Republic of Korea
Chinese Taipei New Zealand Singapore
Hong Kong Papua New Guinea Thailand
People's Republic of China Vietnam

Who can apply?
The APEC Business Travel Card is available to business people engaged in trade and investment activities, who:
* are nationals of participating countries
* travel frequently to conduct trade and investment activities in participating APEC countries;
* have a clear criminal record.
Apply now
If you are a New Zealand passport holder, you should complete the downloadable application form PDF [1271KB] and send it with a passport-sized photo and $NZD150 application fee to:
APEC Business Travel Card Scheme
Immigration New Zealand
P O Box 22-111
Christchurch
New Zealand
Please allow two to three months to process your card, as pre-approved clearance has to be obtained from all participating countries.
For more information call 0508 558 855 (toll free within New Zealand).

If you hold a passport from another APEC country, you should contact the authorities there to find out how to apply for an APEC Business Travel Card

anakot
October 4th, 2006, 18:49
yeah I looked at it on both the Oz and NZ websites. Predictably the Oz website applctn was much longr than NZ being a more bureaucratic place. You would have to maintain an ABN/ACN and file tax returns for the co. etc so there is a bit more to it. Also if you intend to live in these places rather arranging investments/businesss etc then you are running the risk of dishonestly declaring what your real intention is when you sign off on the form. This might come back to bite you later.