PDA

View Full Version : So, how will Suvarnabhumi take a typhoon?

bao-bao
September 30th, 2006, 21:22
I hope there won't still be pieces of airport roof strewn about the runways when I get there on Thursday!!

Thailand is ready to face Typhoon Xangsane
BANGKOK, Sept 29 -ThailandтАШs Meteorological Department was closely monitoring the approach of Typhoon Xangsane as the kingdom braces for the storm that is expected to arrive in force on Monday, according to Director General. Suparerk Tansriratanawong. ... his department is monitoring even more closely after Typhoon Xangsane Friday morning gave Manila its fiercest storm encounter in a decade.

The typhoon was reportedly moving west slowly across the South China Sea, is expected to make a landfall on the Vietnamese coast on Sunday, and impact ThailandтАШs weather later the same day, he said. "We expect Typoon Xangsane to enter Thailand late Sunday or early Monday in Ubon Ratchathani and Mukdahan provinces," Mr. Suparerk said.

The entire story is at: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownew ... 0000001483 (http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.php?IDNEWS=0000001483)

anakot
October 1st, 2006, 10:49
From reading other posts a number of typhoons have already been thru so it should still be there in one piece... more or less

October 2nd, 2006, 00:32
Typhoon oogleman arrives in 8 days time!

October 2nd, 2006, 01:03
I thought this would be a poll - you know
a straight up the arse
b doggy-style
c legs in the air

anakot
October 2nd, 2006, 07:53
(d) All of the above

October 2nd, 2006, 14:48
This is the beginning on the typhoon season over SE Asia that can last until mid_december (and beyond). A typhoon will diminish across SE Asia (on its way to Thailand from the Vietnam coast) but they have been known to re-form in the Gulf. They bring heavy rains to large areas of Thailand. I suppose the effects of a worst expected typhoon near the airport have already been measured, as it has sat there for more than 30 years!

October 2nd, 2006, 16:13
Beware!
The typhoon hit roommate, Ginger's, home town, in the Philippines, a couple days ago. Her mama called, crying.
(Collect, of course. NTW: Ginger refused the call--Then called back on a phone card: as usual.)
Knocked down the library!
And destroyed their book!
It was a recent (2005) Bally of Switzerland catalog! (Flips will get the joke.)

October 2nd, 2006, 16:19
Typhoon oogleman arrives in 8 days time!

As the typhoon said to the palm trees: "Hold on to your nuts, boys! You're about to get blown!"

October 2nd, 2006, 16:26
I hope someone has the good sense to tell Oogleman to batten down his man titties on arrival. Those babies could knock someone out.

October 3rd, 2006, 07:22
Suvarnabhumi Airport 'not able' to help city's flood woes

Bosses say blocked canals contributing to inundation, not new facility

Suvarnabhumi Airport has warned the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) not to drain floodwater into its area as this would cause severe inundation problems for the new facility.

Somchai Sawasdeepon, general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said yesterday he would inform the directors of Lat Krabang and Prawes districts that the airport had no capacity to receive a run-off from outside its precincts as the irrigation canal inside the airport was already about 50 per cent full.

"More water could cause severe flooding and cause huge damage to the airport," he said after being consulted by the directors about draining floodwater from the two districts into the airport's area.

Eastern Bangkok's Lat Krabang and Prawes districts have suffered severe flooding this year. District officials have attempted to drain floodwater by using 60 electrical pumps, but they are not coping adequately.

Somchai refused to accept that construction of the airport caused the flooding even though it took up over 20,000 rai of irrigation area. The whole story is at http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/10 ... 015249.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/10/03/headlines/headlines_30015249.php)

lonelywombat
October 3rd, 2006, 07:25
As the typhoon said to the palm trees: "Hold on to your nuts, boys! You're about to get blown!"

Thanks edith for a great one liner

bao-bao
October 3rd, 2006, 07:39
Hmmm... OK, then allow me to amend my earlier arrival comments to say:

IF the on-board instruments see the airport to start with and IF the runways haven't sunk, making a landing impossible and IF there are enough gates open to dock the plane and IF the whole place isn't under a foot of water and IF there are enough baggage trucks to get the luggage to the terminal and IF there's sufficient signage to get ME to the baggage area (assuming I'm not asphyxiated by smoking room overspill) and IF the luggage arrives to the carousels within a few hours of landing and IF there's a taxi available and IF the whole "coup" thing hasn't flared up by then...

... I should be at my hotel by Thursday early afternoon :cheers: WHEEEEE!

Mai pen rai - life is good!!

October 3rd, 2006, 17:40
Hmmm... OK, then allow me to amend my earlier arrival comments to say: IF the on-board instruments see the airport to start with and IF the runways haven't sunk...IF there are enough gates open to dock...IF the whole place isn't under a foot of water...IF there are enough baggage trucks to get the luggage to the terminal...IF there's sufficient signage to get ME to the baggage area...IF the luggage arrives to the carousels...IF there's a taxi available--And IF the whole "coup" thing hasn't flared up by then.... I should be at my hotel by Thursday early afternoon. WHEEEEE! Mai pen rai - life is good!!

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs--You simply don't understand the situation!"

The things we worry about are the things that never happen.
Once the plane's at 30,000 feet; lay back and relax, the worst part's over--And check the magazine in the pocket in front of you; you may find answers to some of those questions.
Here's hoping you have a great time!
PS: I hate you.