PDA

View Full Version : Psyllium, metamucil

September 30th, 2006, 18:59
I swear somebody asked on one of these forums, and I thought it was Sawatdee, about whether he could buy Metamucil here rather than taking up space in his luggage for an extended stay. I tried forum search on Metamucil and psyllium and couldn't find it but, if he's reading this and not yet in LOS, I can answer his question:

YES.

Psyllium is referred to by another term here: Ispaghula.

Not sure if the terms are 100% interchangeable or if Ispaghula is processed psyllium, but after traipsing all over Pattaya today trying to find psyllium I ended up at a health food store on Pattaya Nua. They hadn't heard of it, and when I showed them the Thai translation เทียนเกล็ดหอย that I found on ThaiVisa.com, they still were stumped. She did a Google in Thai and realized it had something to do with laxatives, so we walked over to a shelf with about 5 different types of Ispaghula, including one whose name caught my eye: "Mucilin" Hmmmm, awfully close to Metamucil. I bought some, came home and googled psyllium +ispaghula, and voila. It's seems to be the same as Metamucil.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure, but if your drainage canal ever gets sluggish, ask for "Ispaghula" at a Thai drug store.

Regarding the place on Pattaya Nua, to quote a post on ThaiVisa.com: "The very large drug store on Pattaya Nua called Fascino (coming from Sukhumvit, on the left past the first set of traffic lights - has its own parking area)which has an extensive range of health food supplements, vitamins, etc. It's the best I've seen in Thailand - but maybe not what you're looking for. I get my cod liver oil and Omega 3 tablets there, but I can't find glucose tablets anywhere." The staff there was most helpful and resourceful.

Aunty
September 30th, 2006, 20:02
.....which has an extensive range of health food supplements, vitamins, etc. It's the best I've seen in Thailand - but maybe not what you're looking for. I get my cod liver oil and Omega 3 tablets there, but I can't find glucose tablets anywhere." The staff there was most helpful and resourceful.

Why do you need glucose tablets? Are you diabetic?

Fish oils sourced from fatty fish e.g., salmon, are an excellent source of omega-3-fatty acids - good for heart health, blood vessels, the brain etc., etc. Just be careful of the source. Fish are also an excellent source of nasty heavy metals found in waters that have been polluted by industrial waste such as mercury, cadmium, nickel, and lead. Bad for heart health, brain health etc., etc. Fish oil capsules obtained from polluted fish can contain these heavy metals in very concentrated amounts. So always make sure you are buying a reputable brand of fish oil that you know is regularly tested for such contaminants.

painai2
September 30th, 2006, 20:23
You can buy psyllium at GNC outlet inside the Top's on Second Road.

September 30th, 2006, 21:39
You can buy psyllium at GNC outlet inside the Top's on Second Road.NOW you tell me! LOL

September 30th, 2006, 21:40
Why do you need glucose tablets? Are you diabetic? I don't. I was quoting someone from ThaiVisa.com who apparently does.

adman5000
October 1st, 2006, 07:27
I have found these products can work both ways and also help if your system reacts to something you eat in Thailand and you find yourself sitting in the bathroom. I use them in place of Immodium or similar things so my system doesn't totally lock up. they seem to help me. But I carry as chewable Fiber tablets or just capsules.

Gaypattayan
March 13th, 2007, 13:51
Many thanks for the information on substitutes for metamucil. I will try getting the real thing at FASCINO'S which really appears to be a very special pharamacy shop -- English speaking and English brands. After lenghy hospitalization, it is helpful to have such place available .. and with lots of easy parking. Just found it myself through a friend over the weekend.

Allen (G.P.)

Aunty
March 13th, 2007, 15:31
Hey Gay Pattayan, how are you feeling? Much better I hope. Although I don't know you I was happy to donate to the cause. ;-) One thing I was confused about though is, were you given a cranial tap or a ventricular shunt? You don't have to tell me of course, that would be quite alright, and if you would prefer (I imagine you are sick of having your legs spread to the globe :-)), you can always send me a PM. I'm just curious that's all, I've never actually heard of a cranial tap before, but then I'm not a neurosurgeon.

Cheers

March 13th, 2007, 19:05
Many thanks for the information on substitutes for metamucil. I will try getting the real thing at FASCINO'S which really appears to be a very special pharamacy shop -- English speaking and English brands. After lenghy hospitalization, it is helpful to have such place available .. and with lots of easy parking. Just found it myself through a friend over the weekend.
As far as I can tell the "Mucilin" brand that I buy in Thailand is equivalent to (same as?) Metamucil. I didn't see the Metamucil brand at Fascino's. There's another brand that's sugar-free, but I can't recall the name now. It comes in individual serving-size foil pouches and is available at many places including Tesco Lotus pharmacy and the pharmacy in the Carrefour arcade.

If you go to Facsino's, ask them what brands of "ispaghula" they carry, and they'll show you a shelf with the various types.