View Full Version : Second hand report... New Airport.

jinks
September 28th, 2006, 21:05
Well I arrived this morning on a Thai airways flight from Heathrow...due in at 0605, and would have been on time but for the need to do a "turn around" about three minutes from landing.
I presumed a precautionary extra separation; it was a bit misty, but the pilot said nothing and it added about 15mins to the flight with no drama.

It was a long walk to immigration via about six or seven travelators, and the overall ambience is mooted concrete grey...not too dissimilar to Chek Lap Kok, although lower ceilings was the immediate observation.

Immigraation desks appear plentiful and nicely off-set, they were quick and efficient this morning.
I was anticipating a long wait for baggage, and I was right.
The first bags took close to an hour to appear, and I suspect it will get worse as the day progresses.
As I understand it the automated baggage handling represents one of the most significant changes and as such will probably suffer the most teething problems.

I'll get an early progress report as my Thai bf arrives on a later flight via HKG and is due in in a few hours.

The arrivals/greetings area seems far too small....
I imagine it will be quite chaotic during high season with woefully insufficient room for placard holding/observation of arrivals.

Carparks seem quite good, although quite a lot of water "pooling" and access in/out a vast improvement, with a journey time smack on 30 mins shorter.....not much, but appreciated.

mercedes
September 28th, 2006, 22:31
can anyone give any comments on the new airport...i fly in from amsterdam next tuseday 3rd october...thx

September 28th, 2006, 22:37
It's open and running with only a few glitches, despite the doom and gloom predicted by many on this and other boards.

September 29th, 2006, 04:19
JINKS , the term of speak , its called over shoot , and go around thanks any way

September 29th, 2006, 06:39
JINKS , the term of speak , its called over shoot , and go around thanks any wayaot87 dear, it's "figure of speech "or "terminology"

September 29th, 2006, 06:41
Another second-hand report. Thai Airways now have a public apology on their Web site about baggage handling at the new airport

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606732

September 29th, 2006, 06:49
*THAI will ensure that every baggage is delivered to residential address of the passengers as soon as possible*

Didnt like that bit - im flying with Thai!

September 29th, 2006, 06:52
*THAI will ensure that every baggage is delivered to residential address of the passengers as soon as possible*And don't forget - the person doing the returning will expect a tip

anakot
September 29th, 2006, 07:55
My bags have been delayed on several occasions and then delivered very efficiently to where I was staying so no worry there. All in all a fairly successful opening.

September 29th, 2006, 08:41
My bags have been delayed on several occasions and then delivered very efficiently to where I was staying so no worry there. All in all a fairly successful opening.So you travelled through the new airport?

September 29th, 2006, 10:19
I'm flying in today -- but will NOT check baggage!