View Full Version : Always return to Thai guys ... photogenic-ness

Smiles
September 27th, 2006, 23:51
I have (or more correctly, we have) Khun Bao Bao to thank for this photograph ... and many others ~ take a look at his Sawatdee Album when you get the chance ( http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... er_id=1556 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=1556) ).

But I thought this one deserved a bit of blowing up and general admiration in terms of the things it says to me, and possibly you.

This group of Thai guys includes the gamut of age (the young kid with tattoos atop his nipples, and the older ~ much more serious ~ guy behind him in the brown hawaiian shirt); of pose (the guy in the black T ~ " ... I should be King ... " he thinks); of aloofness (dig the guy in the pink shirt); of slyness (love the 'money eyes' of the guy hidden in back).

The handsome guy leaning over the Suki table ~ hair all over the place, but 'just right' for that face ~ oozes confident sexuality . . . and he's not alone: Hawaiian Shirt has a drooping yet tender hand placed gently framing part of his face. Is that possession, or desire, or innocence (" ... just another place to rest my hand ... ")? For the cynics of Dongtam and Sunnee: Hawaiian Shirt has hedged his bets . . . his other arm is draped sloppily over the shoulder of The King. In the season of The Coup, who can blame him? (It's the 'Thai Way')

A single arm akimbo, Khun 'Silky White Shorts' stands just to the side, leaning slightly away from the group-of-brothers . . . is he new around here? Is a "Thoughtful" rather than a "Touchy"? But I like his sweet restrained smile ~ reminds me of myself, just slightly outta the loop at times.

http://www.photodump.com/direct/sawatdee/bbqboys.jpg

This totally charming ~ almost perfectly evocative ~ photo of easygoing Thai guys nonchalantly posing in front of a camera makes me yearn for the street scenes in Thailand. It makes me appreciative of the great natural physical grace of many Thai men (and women).

And it makes me wish very much that I could just walk outside this cozy condo of mine here on this beautiful Indian Summer day in Canada and catch a glimpse of the quiet energy and a distinctly Thai joie de vivre found frozen in this photo.

Cheers ...

Dick
September 28th, 2006, 04:57
Anyone tell me what that V sign is all about?
Even got it in China... asked the guy what it meant and he didn't know (or couldn't express).

I have so far only deduced it's akin to a thumbs up! Anyone have another insight?

cottmann
September 28th, 2006, 06:13
Even got it in China... asked the guy what it meant and he didn't know (or couldn't express).

I have so far only deduced it's akin to a thumbs up! Anyone have another insight?

Japanese use it to mean "Peace," and flash it is photos all the time - kids learn it from a very young age. In some other cultures it means "Happy," I believe. Take your pick.

September 28th, 2006, 06:45

V sing

The V sign is a hand gesture in which the first and second fingers are raised and parted, whilst the remaining fingers are clenched. Originally considered a "Victory" sign (for V as in victory), it can also carry connotations of "Peace" and "Defiance."

In some areas the gesture is considered vulgar. In the UK, if the hand is held out with the palm towards the person performing the gesture (a peace sign reversed), this is considered to be insulting, similar in severity to the insulting gesture commonly known as "the finger".

In United States culture, it is now probably most frequently seen as a gesture of peace, a connotation that became popular during the peace movement of the 1960s. The gesture is also used in a manner similar to the corna, by surreptitiously holding it behind a person's head. This use of the gesture, often called "bunny ears", is usually regarded as a meaningless prank without the corna's implied cuckoldry. :albino:

September 28th, 2006, 13:24
I tried to take a group photo. The guys were all over the place. I said, "Hold still!...I need to focus!"
Num Chai asked, "What he say?"
Num Pong replied, "He want to focus."
Num Chai screamed, "All of us!"
And they all ran away.

September 28th, 2006, 13:29
:cheers:

bao-bao
September 28th, 2006, 21:58
Thank you, Smiles - most kind of you!

I'd really intended to post more of the past trips, but haven't made the time to re-size and upload them (and there are thousands).

I'm returning to Thailand again on Tuesday for a few weeks on a writing and information gathering trip - and I'm going to take a lot of pictures again.

I'm taking my best friend to Pattaya for a long weekend, but other than stopping by Monty's to drop off some supplies for his doctor friend I doubt we'll be around the "club" area much.

Will post more as time allows. It's worth it if people are enjoying them.

bao-bao

Smiles
September 28th, 2006, 22:19
"... Anyone tell me what that V sign is all about? Even got it in China... asked the guy what it meant and he didn't know (or couldn't express).
I have so far only deduced it's akin to a thumbs up! Anyone have another insight? ... "

... everything he wanted to know about the 'V' sign, and probably more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign

http://www.photodump.com/direct/sawatdee/v-sign.jpg

Cheers ...