PDA

View Full Version : Renting a motorcycle in Pattaya

allieb
September 27th, 2006, 23:35
I will be in Pattaya around the middle of October and I would like to rent a motorcycle for a couple of weeks. Can anybody recommend a place? I have seen on previous trips Motorbikes for rent in Jomtien Plaza but never inquired.

Can they be rented on a British driving license ?
What's the cost?
Is full insurance available in the case of theft of the machine.? Do bikes get stolen?

I would be grateful for any information on this subjest.

Dick
September 28th, 2006, 02:00
Allieb. Check your travel insurance. Some policies won't cover you for renting a bike or even sitting on one as a passenger. Others may cover you as a driver and/or passenger on bikes up to 50cc, others up to 125cc, and others (usually on payment of an additional premium - about ┬г15) will cover you as driver/passenger on any bike. Some policies may have a proviso that require you to wear a skid lid, and that you aren't pissed or doped up.
I have an annual policy with Goldfish (Lloyds TSB). I spent a long time going through the fine print of all the policies recommended by Which? - the UK Consumer Association. The Goldfish policy isn't the cheapest, but it covers old gits like me up to 65yrs for trips up to 45 days. Standard cover lets you drive/sit on bikes up to 125cc but as you might get on a m/cycle taxi of 175cc or more, I pay the additional premium for 'hazardous activities' as includes bikes over 125cc, and if I've a mind to: bungee jumping, hang gliding, jet skiing, parachuting, hot air ballooning, quad bikes, scuba diving, white water rafting, etc. The policy also has one of the best payouts/least qualifying time threshold for travel delays, and a very generous ceiling for emergency purchases if your baggage is lost/delayed, as well as higher limits for the essentials. I'm just trying to illustrate that it's worth considering the Insurance aspect before going with bike rental.

But is it worth it? The Baht bus is only 10B, and a m/cycle taxi 20-40B plus you get to tightly hug the torso? of the driver! And no need to worry about drinking and driving, or where you parked the damn thing, and is it still where you think you left it! Of course if you have an accident, you know whose fault it will always be. You guessed right! That's probably why the lender will insist you leave your passport with him as a security deposit.

You should have to be legal as a driver in Thailand (although some lenders might not insist on it) an International Driving License (buy it from the AA before you go) in addition to your UK license.

allieb
September 28th, 2006, 02:57
Thanks for the info Dick

You're right It may not be worth it. I drink a lot in the evenings and didn't think of that aspect. I was only thinking of the daytime going and coming to the beach. I also didn't think of insurance for accident, I was only worried if the bike got nicked.

I'm living in Saudi where insurance for driving is not required. I have been driving here for 20 years without insurance. We also drink and drive and don't worry about it because the cops don't have breath testers as booze doesn't officially exist.

I do have private medical insurance issued by a UK company for my country of residence and visits outside for vacation or business. That's all, it probably doesn't cover motorcycle riding.

I don't think I will rent a bike now. I have been in Saudi too long and forget that outside the Middle East is an entirely different world.

Many Thanks.