PDA

View Full Version : what I was told last night in Bangkok

September 27th, 2006, 17:08
A senior US official from the Embassy in touch with high officials on-side with the coup generals told me over drinks last night that they mean to really crack down on corruption in the upper echelons of the police force and that many top cops can expect to be transfered to remote areas.

He also mentions that quite a few NGO organisations considered interfering busybodies can expect to receive the cold shoulder (not sure which ones they are referring to here but presumably ones that are trying to dictate to Thais how they should live).

Apparently the coup generals are not as prudish as some are speculating but they are determined to rid Thailand of western corruption which could mean a crackdown on easy come visas for all those European criminals that end up here. Anyone who thinks the prostitution trade is going to disappear though will be disappointed.

Mind you that's only over drinks but my friend is highly placed.

September 27th, 2006, 17:21
The military cracking down on police corruption? Bwahahaha! More like wiping out the competition, don'tcha think?

September 27th, 2006, 20:30
I think your senior US official was drunk or firing crap out his mouth to try and sound knowledgeable, possibly both and at the same time. Why on earth would they send corrupt police officials into the country-side, the heart of Thaksins ex-support base.

TrongpaiExpat
September 27th, 2006, 22:41
"A senior US official from the Embassy in touch with high officials on-side with the coup generals "

Assuming (for a minute) that you really do have some high US offical as a friend, I would say that your not much of a friend to be repeating what he said on a public forum! Same on you.

September 28th, 2006, 08:28
but as everyone I know, knows that I post on here perhaps that was the reason I was told.
I hope you don't mind if I assume that you are a total fuckwit.

September 28th, 2006, 08:31
rid Thailand of western corruptionOf course! All that nasty corruption is purely a Western interpolation into the unspoilt Thai culture :bounce:

September 28th, 2006, 09:11
I have highly placed sources.

Thai guys - they tell me whoever is in power they will make money from farang. And with a smile.