PDA

View Full Version : A good reason to ban visa runs

allieb
September 27th, 2006, 13:45
If you meet the Thais requirements for permanent residence, for retirement or investment, then get of your asses and get legal.

The requirements are fair. The Thais don't want a country full of permanent cheapo sex tourists. living on the smell of an oil rag.

What other country would allow these people to go back and forth across the border every month and stay forever.

I introduced a straight friend of mine to Thailand last year and took him to the disco at the Novotel in Siam. The place was busting at the seams with Russian whores. My friend brought one back. She told us that she lived in one room with 6 other girls and was protected by a Thai pimp. The pimp had a bus which he regularly packed with 40 girls who were driven to Malaysia and back on a visa run. A round trip journey of 36 hours.

Its shit like this the Thais want to stop. Wake up and understand there is a proper way for everything. If you meet the requirements then get legal. If you don't then fuck of back to your own country.

September 27th, 2006, 14:09
Other countries where you can visa run indefinitely:

Brazil
Peru
Mexico
Philippines
Malaysia?
Cambodia
Argentina

Well. those are the ones I know about.

allieb
September 27th, 2006, 14:22

Brazil
Peru
Mexico
Philippines
Malaysia?
Cambodia
Argentina

I'll take your word for it, but I wonder in how many of the countries you mention, the facility abused like it is in Thailand. It's usually only when something is abused it gets withdrawn.

TrongpaiExpat
September 27th, 2006, 15:02
"It's usually only when something is abused it gets withdrawn."

I think it has more to do with playing the Thai national card and pandering to the Bangkok middle class than correcting some problem.

As a certain recent political figure found out, you can buy the Issan block but you have to make the bangkok middle class happy too.

September 27th, 2006, 15:15
Brazil
Peru
Mexico
Philippines
Malaysia?
Cambodia
Argentina

None of these exactly qualifies as a great example of a well-run country.

Besides, for every country you can name that do allow unlimited back-to-back visa-free visits, I can name 10 that don't.

September 27th, 2006, 15:48
expensive sex tourists ????

it aint gonna happen.

allieb
September 27th, 2006, 19:32
expensive sex tourists ????

it aint gonna happen.

No sweetie

Just think it's a good idea to make entry more difficult for the group who get us all a bad name and expect everything for next to nothing.

I have met so many Farang who stay on and on with little or no money.They don't legalize themselves. They can't because they are financially unstable.

I know someone in BKK no names mentioned but like me a Brit. He is working illegally. getting room and board and 20,000 baht a month to live on. (sorry exist on). He wont go home because in his own words he says " you can get boys here for next to nothing. In the U.K. at my age I couldn't get a dog to bark at me". Believe me Thailand is full of Farang like that and the quicker Thailand gets rid of them the better.

I rest my case

yaraboy
September 27th, 2006, 21:21
Well the new plan allowing 3 entries within 90 days will curtail many travel and business trips. Those like me who travel to Thailand 3 or so times a year and then travel to other countries may cut their trips or use other countries as gateways to Asia

allieb
September 27th, 2006, 22:14
Well the new plan allowing 3 entries within 90 days will curtail many travel and business trips. Those like me who travel to Thailand 3 or so times a year and then travel to other countries may cut their trips or use other countries as gateways to Asia

Get a one year multiple entry visa from The Thai Embassy / Consulate in your country. They are available and issued here at the Thai Consulate in Jeddah, the cost is 5,000 Baht. If you are doing business in Asia or travel more than 3 times a year to Thailand then you could easily afford it, so what's the problem. Get one and go in and out of Thailand a much as you like.

Davey612
September 27th, 2006, 23:30

Brazil
Peru
Mexico
Philippines
Malaysia?
Cambodia
Argentina

Wrong on Brazil. You have to stay out of the country for a long long time before another visa run. Check: "Not necessarily. The tourist visa allows for multiple entries in Brazil for five years (American, Australian and Canadian citizens only) for stays up to 90 days. You may request the Federal Police in Brazil for an extension of stay, provided it does not exceed 180 days. However, you should not assume the Federal Police will grant the extension. But remember that unless you carry a special visa (student visa or a long-term work visa) you cannot stay in Brazil more than 180 days per year (consecutive". It is from the Brazilian consulate in San Francisco, CA.

September 28th, 2006, 00:09
OK. Corrected. I have heard in real life many people are staying there long term on tourist visas.

September 28th, 2006, 01:17
OK. Corrected. I have heard in real life many people are staying there long term on tourist visas.

So you rely on heresay for your so called font of knowledge?

So if I hear you are a dickhead that is good enough to become fact and posted on a forum? :geek:

Brad the Impala
September 28th, 2006, 01:19

So your far from extensive list of countries allowing this was not based on any actual knowledge or experience but on rumour and barstool talk.

Thanks for sharing.

sjaak327
September 28th, 2006, 01:26
Brazil
Peru
Mexico
Philippines
Malaysia?
Cambodia
Argentina

Besides, for every country you can name that do allow unlimited back-to-back visa-free visits, I can name 10 that don't.

Right, I hope you are not suggesting that Thailand is a well run country.

September 28th, 2006, 03:29

So your far from extensive list of countries allowing this was not based on any actual knowledge or experience but on rumour and barstool talk.

Thanks for sharing.

In these sort of situations, one would have to rely on rumour and barstool chitchat, dont be stupid Brad - what do you think the authorities are going to do - issue a ISBN leaflet!!

Brad the Impala
September 28th, 2006, 04:30
In these sort of situations, one would have to rely on rumour and barstool chitchat, dont be stupid Brad - what do you think the authorities are going to do - issue a ISBN leaflet!!

What ever happened to personal experience/knowledge, or even knowing someone who had personal experience?

What ever happened to research? Anyone can google.

ISBN? International Standard Book Number. They do books not leaflets. Yes, I googled.

September 28th, 2006, 09:15
There is no country that will advertise and welcome you to live there for life on a tourist visa.
However, I KNOW for a FACT from that it is very possible in a number of countries.
I KNOW for a FACT that people are definitely doing this in Argentina, Peru, and the Philippines. The other countries mentioned have liberal policies as well. I have met people in Brazil living there for years on tourist visas, so I suspect their rule is NOT ENFORCED.
Frankly, what is the BIG DEAL?
These countries aren't western Europe. If you can manage to afford to live in these countries, spend money, stay out of jail, you are not hurting anyone. Including in Thailand.
Yes, if you are a criminal or legitimately stealing work from a local, not so good, but personally I am a somewhat of a globalist and think we all should be able to work in any country we wish. We already live in a global economy and if working are competing with workers all over the world, so why not be able to work all over the world?

September 28th, 2006, 09:49
Brazil
Peru
Mexico
Philippines
Malaysia?
Cambodia
Argentina

Right, I hope you are not suggesting that Thailand is a well run country.

God no. But getting rid of the slackers, or at least making them legalize, is a step in the right direction.

Davey612
September 28th, 2006, 11:34
These countries aren't western Europe. If you can manage to afford to live in these countries, spend money, stay out of jail, you are not hurting anyone. Including in Thailand.
Yes, if you are a criminal or legitimately stealing work from a local, not so good, but personally I am a somewhat of a globalist and think we all should be able to work in any country we wish. We already live in a global economy and if working are competing with workers all over the world, so why not be able to work all over the world?

Interesting point. Some people in lesser developed economies may disagree with you. Global economy for them is just another keyword for corporate expansion of the worst kind. That is, the concentration of wealth in corporate structures that benefit the few majority shareholders.

But I digress. I don't know what you really mean by being a globalist. Does that mean making everyone in the world to have the same standard of living, the same principles of government, the same way of thinking? If so, then, don't you think that kind of destroys what makes this world interesting? But most likely, you mean having the power or right to travel whatever you wish for you...but not for them. God/Allah forbids if they would be allowed to come freely to Western Europe or the U.S. or Canada, or Australia, or... and stay there freely and legally on visa runs. But shouldn't they? They are working as hard as you.

September 28th, 2006, 11:43
Good post, Davey. But Thaiquila's thinking doesn't often extend beyond the boundaries of his own personal interest.

September 28th, 2006, 13:02
By globalist, I mean I think nationalism is a cause of great evil in the world. That, and religious fanaticism. I realize it is absurdly idealistic to imagine a world without borders. I have met many expats from (and to) many nations all over the world, and overall they are a creative and energetic force for their host countries. Overall, a big positive.

September 28th, 2006, 22:18
I was just trying to imagine the Pattaya "expat community" as "creative and energetic"...

September 28th, 2006, 23:50
I was just trying to imagine the Pattaya "expat community" as "creative and energetic"...

I imagine 'cremated' would be more appropriate!

bedbugy1-old
September 29th, 2006, 19:16
i knowc at least 20 farangs who do the visa run every month and have done for several years and that's a fact

September 29th, 2006, 21:42

Thats a perfect example of an oxymoron.

September 29th, 2006, 21:48
Damn ageists!