PDA

View Full Version : Po Pot Guest House

September 27th, 2006, 03:13
Does anyone have any knowledge of this place? I am considering staying there and would appreciate any first hand accounts of others experience. I have been told that the food in their restaurant is good and reasonably priced. I have also been told that the beds are hard. Input please.

September 27th, 2006, 15:40
Haven't seen the rooms; Heard they are Okay: bf stayed there, they have, or had, very affordable monthly rates...for Thai, anyway. He had (Following the norm) two roommates; the roommates split the rent, he paid only the utilities. (A benefit of people assuming you are dumb.) in 1 room w/ba. Since (It looks like) many may be doing this: more traffic, (Maybe) more (Maybe) flirty boys (Bar-boys) keeping late hours (i.e. Up all-night doing each other's hair--or doing each other (?) as the case may be--Not to mention the B-Girls. Some (Farang) might think they've died & gone to heaven, others might believe they've gone to a much warmer climate that, like Pattaya, starts with a (Letter) P--Not Phuket!...try Purgatory.
The place is on the corner; of a fairly busy street & (faces) a very busy street with much motorbike traffic throughout the evening and, at least, until bar closing--There were (are?) a couple (Sewing) sweat shops across the soi--But nothing to worry about. There's a parking lot behind, and the restaurant kitchen is at the back of the building.
Personally; I wouldn't book a room there sight-unseen nor take a room on the 1st (2nd-American) floor, especially over a kitchen (Or bar--If that were the case.).
Look at a room. If you are still interested, before committing: paying a deposit, go back after dark, look at a room\rooms if still interested, stay 1 night before committing for longer. If interested in a long stay: 2 weeks, a month or more, bargain for a lower price. If that's not possible, can you take a boy along to bargain for you? And be sure to inquire about the utilities.

PS: Now I think about it, there is more than one (At least 2) hotel\apartments in that block. The place where bf stayed called itself Paradise Apartments, I think.
Think of the fun you will have telling friends back home you stayed at the Poo Pot Hotel. :pottytrain4:
:idea: I wonder if there's a tee-shirt on offer?
(Paradise...Poo Pot...Pattaya....) :violent1:

September 27th, 2006, 15:44
What is "Po Pot" supposed to mean? Is it a play on words for "Pol Pot"? If so, not in very good taste, is it? I can only imagine the ruckus that would be kicked up here if someone opened up a "Hitler Hut" restaurant. And that's even if the cheeseburgers really WERE the best in Pattaya!

September 27th, 2006, 17:14
What is "Po Pot" supposed to mean? Is it a play on words for "Pol Pot"? If so, not in very good taste, is it? I can only imagine the ruckus that would be kicked up here if someone opened up a "Hitler Hut" restaurant. And that's even if the cheeseburgers really WERE the best in Pattaya!

Billy calls it--Play on words...or abject dumbness, Pol Pot; not to be confused with Pole Pot\AKA BB Billy.

One dictionary lists Angrit spelling as Poo, another as bPoo (Flat tone) But, since it is usually the case, the Pot must be English. (Perhaps they should change it to Phot?)

There is a cheeseburger on offer at the restaurant; never tried it nor the french fries--Seldom have western food in Thailand--but did try the German fries--With a pork cutlet in a sauce: sour cream-green peppercorn, as I recall. Both were very good--But don't think little Eva (Braun) was cooking at Birteschgarten (Wasn't it referred to as Hitler's Hut?) that night.
We usually order Thai food at Poo Pot but noticed something one night: A Thai women, with two farang, sat down at the table next to us. The farang ordered western food; she went to the cart, outside, bought Thai food, came back and ate it inside.
It reminded me of (Truth or urban-legend?) a certain Soi Sahm eatery where a certain cook runs down to the corner cart, brings back Thai food, plates it--And the joint charges five times more.
After watching her make several trips one night; someone suggested perhaps (She's very heavy.) all the food was for her! (Laugh track.)
Another quipped, 'If that's the case, doesn't say much for her own cooking!' (More laughter.) '
'...but says a lot for her ingenuity...(Laugh track.)...Or the owners,' piped up Queen Three of Orient Are.
Hmmm....
(There's a 'wet blanket' in every crowd.)

We three queens of Orient Are....Where's Orient Are?

TrongpaiExpat
September 27th, 2006, 21:55
"can only imagine the ruckus that would be kicked up here if someone opened up a "Hitler Hut" restaurant. And that's even if the cheeseburgers really WERE the best in Pattaya!"

It certainly would, Hitler was a vegetarian!

September 28th, 2006, 13:39
Hitler was a vegetarian!

The next time someone tells me they are a vegetarian, I hope I remember to mention, 'so was Hitler!'

atri1666
October 9th, 2006, 15:11
I also would like to know more about the Guesthouse. The pictures looking nice at the homepage and the prices very low. I was in the restaurant many times but not know they have guesthouse.

Monty-old
October 10th, 2006, 01:19
It Means Stew or very think soup.
That is what i have been told
Do not know about the rooms, you will have to ask Boy G. Or V.BBB , Or Mr Sydney.they have all stay there.

Liamog
October 10th, 2006, 01:36
I also would like to know more about the Guesthouse. The pictures looking nice at the homepage and the prices very low. I was in the restaurant many times but not know they have guesthouse.

Can you laste a link to their web site? My accommodation is sorted for my next visit in January however it's always good to have options.

Liamog
October 10th, 2006, 01:38
Or even "paste" a link.[/quote] :idea:

atri1666
October 10th, 2006, 08:56
sure i can

http://people.freenet.de/popot/

Liamog
October 10th, 2006, 18:36
sure i can

http://people.freenet.de/popot/

Thanks for the link. The rooms look ok, good location & very cheap. I'll pop in for something to eat in January.

I paid 1300 baht per night in Howards in low season (June) on my last visit - granted it was a big room but hardly a 'suite' as advertised.

atri1666
October 10th, 2006, 19:06
What he offers as "VIP"-Room or "Suite" for 1300-1500 Baht you get normally for 850-1000 Baht in Bondi or Two Faces Guesthouse. I stayed many years in Jomtien Complex Condo but i dont like anymore to take every day the bahtbus. So i am looking for more central private place.

Liamog
October 10th, 2006, 20:27
What he offers as "VIP"-Room or "Suite" for 1300-1500 Baht you get normally for 850-1000 Baht in Bondi or Two Faces Guesthouse. I stayed many years in Jomtien Complex Condo but i dont like anymore to take every day the bahtbus. So i am looking for more central private place.

I stayed in Two Faces about two years ago. I think I paid 800 Baht then. The room was fine except I had an ongoing problem with Mosquitos. I would ask for the room to be sprayed each day but I think the boys on reception (well the bar downstairs) would forget as soon as I left. I also wasn't too keen on the late night Baht Bus run. Apart from that everything was fine - the rooms was quite big and the staff were friendly. This was the old Two Faces accross the main road from the Jomtien Complex.

I stayed in Thailand for a month in July/ August - all of it in Howards apart from a 5 day trip to Phuket. I agree the 'VIP' room is over-priced for what it is however the other rooms seem fine at 600-800 Baht?

I was a bit agrieved that they charged me a full nights stay for a late check out (9-30pm) on the last night - it was low season and I had just paid 1300 Baht a night for 25 Nights!!! On top of that I found the receptionists to be the worst I've ever come accross. Pity as Punya seems like a nice guy. I doubt if I'll stay again though.

atri1666
October 19th, 2006, 13:52
Really nobody has more serious informations about the guesthouse?

October 19th, 2006, 20:17
I stayed at the guesthouse several years ago, before it was called Pol Pot. If my memory serves me right, it was a Danish guy that ran the place. As you stated, the location was perfect for one who enjoys Sunee Plaza. The room was good-sized, clean, nicely furnished and reasonably priced. It is a place that I would recommend. Hope things have not changed under the new management.

atri1666
October 21st, 2006, 23:11
Thanks I also hope so-will stay there some days next year. I got quick confirmation from german owner and some informations.

Smiles
October 21st, 2006, 23:33
Have a good stay and let us know your impressions. The website photos show it off as quite basic but very clean (looking!) http://people.freenet.de/popot/english/index-eng.htm

I guess the owners dropped the "L" from Po Pot after Boygeenyus objected to the connotations: (killing-fields, mountains-of-skulls, millions-dead, millions-refugeed, babies-eaten etc etc etc). I should think he'd be better off changing the whole name completely ~ as it is it's so obvious. The Potty Place might be a possibility? Not much worse than Monty's The Enchanted Butt in my opinion.

Cheers ...

Monty-old
October 22nd, 2006, 01:22
Please do not comment on my Enchanted Hut, till you have tried it, BUT you are most welcome to talk about Monty's Un charted BUT, if you are one of the few that have visited it.
Joking aside a great night was had by All ,At Monty's Enchanted Hut ,function tonight, held for Take Care Pattaya, over 40.000 bht was raised for that good cause. and more to come.
I thank all that took the time to attend , and for all there support.

October 22nd, 2006, 14:10
"can only imagine the ruckus that would be kicked up here if someone opened up a "Hitler Hut" restaurant. And that's even if the cheeseburgers really WERE the best in Pattaya!"

It certainly would, Hitler was a vegetarian!

From the BBC "The owners of a new restaurant named "Hitler's Cross" in the Indian city of Mumbai have changed its name after protests from the Jewish community."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5275866.stm

I don't know about Po Pot. I have stayed at Two Faces and found the rooms to be very nice, claen and well decorated in a traditional style, not as clinical and 'same same' as many places. I think I paid 650 baht per night, low season and long term (over a month) discount fee, but I would have happily paid more.

I have been staying at a place on South Pattaya Rd this trip - Diamond City Place is relatively new, the room a little clinically clean but larger than the likes of Ambiance. For a months stay you can pay anything from 8,500 baht (plus water and electricity) to 15,000 baht (plus W&E) per month, but they also do daily and weekly. Good location, short walk to Sunee and Boyztown (or 10 baht bus trip if too hot for you to walk). Cable tv, nice shower room, great air con units and balcony. There is no problem with having a guest and the small reception has an electronic door so there is little/no problem with people wandering in who shouldn't be there. Rooms are cleaned every day and sheets towels changed twice per week. Only negative is there are no great views, Pattaya Third Road or other buildings, but most places in Pattaya don't seem to have amazing vistas.

http://www.diamondcitypattaya.com/facilities.html

January 8th, 2007, 18:22
Has anyone stayed here recently? Am thinking of booking there in April.

January 9th, 2007, 12:35

Just a quick note:

German owned gay guesthouse with bar (no offs) and restaurant. Located at Soi Yensebai, just off Sunee Plaza. Open daily, Restaurant closed on Wednesdays. Tel. 087 063 2670 or 089 246 1858. The owner s called Volker.

About 16 clean and well sized rooms (en suite, usual modern amenities) if I remember correctly. Rooms where OK, from 600 to 800 TBT. Entrance either through the restaurant or from back with own key. Rooms fronting the Soi can be a bit noisy. Otherwise perfect if you want to look at passers by; many are related somehow to surrounding gay places.

Food is good, Thai, Germany, European. Very reasonably priced.

Po Pot has never been really busy and it might be up for sale.

Another one is the Eldorado. A long runner in Pattaya, also at Sunee Plaza, opp. Topman Night Club. Also German owned restaurant and guesthouse with many regulars. Good, clean, hassle free. No offs.

Pattaya is never ever fully booked. If you are not sure about your accommodation, just book yourself somewhere into and for one or two night. Check room before you make you decision.
If you new to Pattaya or don’t want hassle around soon after arrival, just book yourself into The Ambiance Hotel which is definitely open 24 hrs every daily. It might be slightly more expensive but you get more. From there you can start searching of another accommodation if you are looking for a more basic, less expensive room at a guesthouse.

Around 21 hrs or so just go to one of the long running beer bars (i.e. Come In, La Cage) and have a word with the owners about recommendations regarding accommodations. They usually know from customer’s comments everything. The boys are also often very helpful and know more or less all around.

Just a quick note:

German owned gay guesthouse with bar (no offs) and restaurant. Located at Soi Yensebai, just off Sunee Plaza. Open daily, Restaurant closed on Wednesdays. Tel. 087 063 2670 or 089 246 1858. The owner s called Volker.

About 16 clean and well sized rooms (en suite, usual modern amenities) if I remember correctly. Rooms where OK, from 600 to 800 TBT. Entrance either through the restaurant or from back with own key. Rooms fronting the Soi can be a bit noisy. Otherwise perfect if you want to look at passers by; many are related somehow to surrounding gay places.

Another one is the Eldorado. A long runner in Pattaya, also at Sunee Plaza, opp. Topman Night Club. Also German owned restaurant and guesthouse with many regulars. Good, clean, hassle free. No offs.

Pattaya is never ever fully booked. If you are not sure about your accommodation, just book yourself somewhere into and for one or two night. Check room before you make you decision.
If you new to Pattaya or don’t want hassle around soon after arrival, just book yourself into The Ambiance Hotel which is definitely open 24 hrs every daily. It might be slightly more expensive but you get more. From there you can start searching of another accommodation if you are looking for a more basic, less expensive room at a guesthouse.

Around 21 hrs or so just go to one of the long running beer bars (i.e. Come In, La Cage) and have a word with the owners about recommendations regarding accommodations. They usually know from customer’s comments everything. The boys are also often very helpful and know more or less all around.

Just a quick note:

January 9th, 2007, 14:41
Thanks for the info.

January 10th, 2007, 17:50
Have you tried Monty's Guesthouse?
Has a new owner.
The place is much cleaner now and the rooms are serviced daily at a reasonable hour. Nice comfortable beds, aircon,Fan, new safe's , each room has it's own ensuite .
All day breakfast included in the price.
No more hidden cost's
Check out the web site
www.montys-guesthouse.com (http://www.montys-guesthouse.com)

January 10th, 2007, 22:26
Have you tried Monty's Guesthouse?
Has a new owner.
The place is much cleaner now and the rooms are serviced daily at a reasonable hour. Nice comfortable beds, aircon,Fan, new safe's , each room has it's own ensuite .
All day breakfast included in the price.
No more hidden cost's
Check out the web site
www.montys-guesthouse.com (http://www.montys-guesthouse.com)

Dear Bear,

Thanks for the link. Just curious...are you in any way affiliated with Monty's Guesthouse? Actually, it's obvious you are, but I think it would be proper for you to volunteer that information in your advertisement.

January 11th, 2007, 05:39
The contact info on the web site is not working as it comes back as undeliverable. Anyone i n pattaya that could stop by and let the owner know there is a problem? I'm sure he would appreciate it.