PDA

View Full Version : Ousted Thai PM urges quick elections - Reuters

September 21st, 2006, 18:16
Ousted Thai PM urges quick elections
Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:59 AM BST

By Toby Melville

LONDON (Reuters) - Ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra called on Thursday for new general elections in Thailand to be arranged quickly and for all parties to work towards national reconciliation.

Thaksin, who arrived in London on Wednesday, said in a statement released by his secretariat that he would take a deserved rest and planned to work on research, development and possible charitable work for Thailand.

Speaking less than 24 hours after leading a bloodless coup to oust the billionaire premier, army chief General Sonthi Boonyaratglin said on Wednesday it would take a year to produce a new constitution leading to a general election.

"The event in Thailand during the last two days should not detract from my main aim of national reconciliation," said Thaksin's statement, which was signed by his secretariat and handed to reporters outside the London apartment where he is staying.

"Therefore, he would like to urge all parties to find ways and means to reconcile and work torward national reconcilation for the sake of our King and country," the statement said.

"He hopes the new regime will quickly arrange a new general election and continue to uphold the principles of democracy for the future of all Thai," it said.

September 21st, 2006, 19:56
wonder if hes got any tricks up his sleeve?

September 21st, 2006, 20:18

Latest breaking news here in UK is that he is contemplating establishing a Government in Exile to try to engineer a come-back.

It is also reported that whilst he has been accepted as a private person on a private visit, the British Government might not be so accommodating to him if he were to indulge in political activities from a base in London.

September 21st, 2006, 20:55
It is also reported that whilst he has been accepted as a private person on a private visit, the British Government might not be so accommodating to him if he were to indulge in political activities from a base in London.

With 1 billion pounds cash in his pocket, Taksin probably wishes he had been ousted before the UK's Cash for Peerages and Cash for Questions were revealed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4812822.stm

September 21st, 2006, 20:59

Latest breaking news here in UK is that he is contemplating establishing a Government in Exile to try to engineer a come-back.

This situation is now also being reported in the internet version of the Bangkok Post - Breaking News.

Dodger
September 21st, 2006, 22:23
I always felt that money could buy just about anything...but in this case it can't.

If Thaksin were to ever return to Thailand, I hope , for the sake of the nation, that he's thrown in the Bangkok Hilton for life.

His Billions could buy a herd of cows for every Isaan family.

Better yet....throw him in a cell with a couple of westerners who were imprisoned without a fair trial during his rein. That should do it. He'll be dressing like a ladyboy in no time.

September 22nd, 2006, 00:43
His Billions could buy a herd of cows for every Isaan family.
It's too tempting, toooo tempting so I wont say the obvious,,,
Anyway what annoyed me are the comments coming from Washington wishing Thailand a speedy return to democracy, if I were The King I'd write back wishing America the same!

September 22nd, 2006, 00:52
[ what annoyed me are the comments coming from Washington wishing Thailand a speedy return to democracy, if I were The King I'd write back wishing America the same!

You expect different from a nation that elected their president by an out and out fraudulent process and probably has as many if not more corrupt officals and hangers-on than Thailand?

The American administration is corrupt from the top down and one can only hope that at the next Presidental Election there is a real wish by the American people to install a less
gung-ho administration.

September 22nd, 2006, 13:18
The BBC caught him outside a hotel yesterday and asked him whats next .

he said "relax - spend time with my daughter - thats it"