PDA

View Full Version : Coup Leader Highly Respected

September 20th, 2006, 12:11
He is a highly respected leader and given great confidence in his abilities to relieve the southern situation, despite the ex-PM's efforts to undermine him. Let's give Khun Sondhi all the support he needs!

PROFILE: GEN SONTHI BOONYARATGLIN
Meteoric rise to POWER

Never one of Thaksin's favourites, Sonthi is known to be softspoken and is respected for his professionalismn

When General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, the leader of last night's coup, rose to become Army commanderinchief in the annual military reshuffle last October, he did not really enjoy the confidence of then prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Sonthi built his career at the Special Warfare Command. But he was not considered a member of Thaksin's clique.

Therefore, his appointment came as a surprise to many who thought Thaksin would finesse one of his former classmates into the job.

Sonthi's appointment was backed by retired armed forces Supreme Commander General Surayud Chulanont and Privy Council President General Prem Tinsulanonda. Both serve as advisers to His Majesty the King.

The Army chief - the first Muslim to take the powerful post - was reportedly on his way out and on to an inactive post in the current round of military appointments taking effect next month.

This was a result of frequent differences with Thaksin over a number of issues - including the hanฌdling of the insurgency in the Muslimmajority deep South.

Sonthi, 59, graduated from Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy in 1969 and was comฌmissioned into the Royal Army Infantry Corps.

He went on to lead several top units, including the elite Special Warfare Command.

When the country's political conflict worsened recently, Sonthi said: "As a soldier of His Majesty, I would like to help him relieve his worries and the Army will adhere strictly to whatever advice he gives us."

As the political situation worsened, Sonthi repeatedly denied coup rumours stealing headlines and fuelling concerns of civil unrest.

During the past three months, Sonthi was seen with Prem at a number of highprofile social functions and speeches.

These included Prem's controฌversial talk at Chulachomklao calling on cadets to reject corrupt leaders and reminding them their loyalty lay with His Majesty.

Prem likened the military to horses, a government to jockeys and said His Majesty was the real owner of horses.

Softspoken and known for his professionalism, Sonthi shocked the public here and internationally with his admission that security agencies had accumulated "black lists" of suspected MalayMuslim militants in the deep South.

He stopped short of saying the list was used for targeted killings.

He said the list created misunฌderstanding and was an obstacle to national reconciliation. He called for an end to blacklists.

The Army chief has often been singled out in Thaksin's criticisms whenever serious incidents in the South have erupted. This has failed to tarnish his reputation as a proฌfessional soldier. Most analysts see Thaksin as the real obstacle to recฌonciliation.

The billionaire politician never gave Sonthi a muchneeded mandate to deal with the complex command structures of myriad security agencies in the region.

Interagency rivalries and overlapping division of labour continue to be the hallmark of the government's hanฌdling of the insurgency.

This is expected to be high on Sonthi's agenda even amid the political turmoil in Bangkok.

September 20th, 2006, 12:23
A new care taker prime minister has already been announced, Mr Pridayadhorn Devakula he is the Bank of Thailand's Governor.

September 20th, 2006, 21:25
A new care taker prime minister has already been announced, Mr Pridayadhorn Devakula he is the Bank of Thailand's Governor.

So why is that in this thread? Yes, there will be a new PM and he will concentrate on solving economic ptroblrms in the country and Sonthi, or whoever else is in the position, will deal with the army and southern situation hopefully unfettered by a greedy politician who cares only about undermining the army in this crucial situation for his own perceived political gain.

September 20th, 2006, 21:25

So why is that in this thread? Yes, there will be a new PM and he will concentrate on solving economic ptroblrms in the country and Sonthi, or whoever else is in the position, will deal with the army and southern situation hopefully unfettered by a greedy politician who cares only about undermining the army in this crucial situation for his own perceived political gain.

Bob
September 21st, 2006, 06:04
While Thaksin may have been corrupt, etc., it'll be a cold day in hell before I offer support or praise to some two-bit general who takes over any country by force. With the barrell of a gun, he dismisses the legislature and revokes a country's constitution. I'm not about to thank him or praise him for that.

September 21st, 2006, 08:14
The dawning of a great new era for Thai politics!
While Pridayadhorn solves all of Thailand's economic problems, the Great Democrat Sonthi will bring peace and happiness to the south.

Then, in the spirit of Brotherly Love (after a chorus of "Ding, Dong the Witch is Dead") all Thais will sit down in a big circle, join hands and sing "Kumbaya". :cheers:

:salute:

September 21st, 2006, 18:19
You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I for one am glad to see someone had the foresight to end Thanskins corrupt reign. No doubt he would have taken the premiership again in October and the country would continue to have been raped by him. At least now the thais and the KIng can have the respect they deserve from a new leader. The king is a well educated and very respected man with nothing but the interest of his people in his heart, if he approved of this Coup than one must think it was for the best. It is very easy for one to sit in the safety of another country and judge the actions of another. I love being in thailand and I hope and pray thet this will bring some relief to the poor.

Brad the Impala
September 21st, 2006, 18:25
I love being in thailand and I hope and pray thet this will bring some relief to the poor.

I thought that giving relief to the poor was your position?

Didn't you also recently write:

"I wouldn't be hoping for a Coup as it is a possibilty( tho small) that all farang holdings could be lost. It really depends on you takes over. I believe on the last coup all foreigners were told to leave the country till things were secure again."

Such concern for the poor!