PDA

View Full Version : PM's men detained, wife in Singapore. Nation breaking news

lonelywombat
September 20th, 2006, 07:26
PM's men detained, wife in Singapore
Many politicians and those with links to caretaker prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra were spread far and wide last night as the news of the coup broke in Bangkok.

First lady Pojaman reportedly flew to Singapore on Monday and it is not known whether Panthongtae, the family's only son, followed his mother last night.

The whereabouts of the PM's daughters Paethongtae and Pinthongta were not known.

Thaksin is in New York at a hotel, where he has reportedly been watching the United Nations General Assembly and keeping abreast of developments here.

Many Cabinet members and other people deemed hostile by the "Council of Administrative Reform" have been detained. Deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya and Supreme Commander Ruengroj Mahasaranont and pro-Thaksin television host Dusit Siriwan are among them.

Head of the Mass Communications Organisation of Thailand Mingkwan Saengsuwan was apprehended by anti-Thaksin troops at Channel 9 compound after it aired a statement of Thaksin, from New York, announcing a state of emergency and relieving Armycommander Sonthi Boonyaratglin from his post.

Deputy Thai Rak Thai leader and caretaker Agriculture Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan reportedly flew to Paris with her family.

Defence Minister General Thamarak Isarangura na Ayutthaya reportedly escaped arrest narrowly and has fled upcountry.

PM's secretary-general Prommin Lertsuridej reportedly made an unplanned landing in the Phillippines during a trip abroad while Bank of Thailand governor MR Pridiyathorn Devekula was in Singapore.

Deputy Thai Rak Thai Party leader Somsak Thepsuthin said he was shocked by last night's coup and never thought it could really happen. A number of TRT MPs may meet today at the party headquarters.

The Nation

lonelywombat
September 20th, 2006, 07:43
His Majesty grants audience to Administrative Reform Council

His Majesty the King granted an audience to the Administrative Reform Council at midnight.

A TV announcer said His Majesty granted the audience to Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, head of the council, Navy Commander-in-Chief Adm Sathiraphan Keyanon, Air Force Commander-in-Chief ACM Chalit Pukphasuk and Supreme Commander Gen Ruangroj Mahasalanon at midnight Tuesday.

The Nation

lonelywombat
September 20th, 2006, 07:46
PM's men detained, wife in Singapore

Many politicians and those with links to caretaker prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra were spread far and wide last night as the news of the coup broke in Bangkok.

First lady Pojaman reportedly flew to Singapore on Monday and it is not known whether Panthongtae, the family's only son, followed his mother last night.

The whereabouts of the PM's daughters Paethongtae and Pinthongta were not known.

Thaksin is in New York at a hotel, where he has reportedly been watching the United Nations General Assembly and keeping abreast of developments here.

Many Cabinet members and other people deemed hostile by the "Council of Administrative Reform" have been detained. Deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya and Supreme Commander Ruengroj Mahasaranont and pro-Thaksin television host Dusit Siriwan are among them.

Head of the Mass Communications Organisation of Thailand Mingkwan Saengsuwan was apprehended by anti-Thaksin troops at Channel 9 compound after it aired a statement of Thaksin, from New York, announcing a state of emergency and relieving Armycommander Sonthi Boonyaratglin from his post.

Deputy Thai Rak Thai leader and caretaker Agriculture Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan reportedly flew to Paris with her family.

Defence Minister General Thamarak Isarangura na Ayutthaya reportedly escaped arrest narrowly and has fled upcountry.

PM's secretary-general Prommin Lertsuridej reportedly made an unplanned landing in the Phillippines during a trip abroad while Bank of Thailand governor MR Pridiyathorn Devekula was in Singapore.

Deputy Thai Rak Thai Party leader Somsak Thepsuthin said he was shocked by last night's coup and never thought it could really happen. A number of TRT MPs may meet today at the party headquarters.

The Nation

Aunty
September 20th, 2006, 07:50
How interesting that so many were so conveniently out of the country when all this happened.

One begins to wonder if there was anybody left in Government, in Bangkok, actually running the country in the last couple of days. Seems like they were all overseas! How could this happen??? Now what do they say about rats deserting a sinking ship? Must have been those Thai whispers!

Aunty
September 20th, 2006, 08:03
His Majesty grants audience to Administrative Reform Council

His Majesty the King granted an audience to the Administrative Reform Council at midnight.

A TV announcer said His Majesty granted the audience to Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, head of the council, Navy Commander-in-Chief Adm Sathiraphan Keyanon, Air Force Commander-in-Chief ACM Chalit Pukphasuk and Supreme Commander Gen Ruangroj Mahasalanon at midnight Tuesday.

The Nation

Well if the King did that, then the coup's a done deal as far as I can tell, and that tells me that true power in Thailand still rests with the Crown and not the Government, elected or otherwise.

September 20th, 2006, 11:52
Well if the King did that, then the coup's a done deal as far as I can tell, and that tells me that true power in Thailand still rests with the Crown and not the Government, elected or otherwise.

Done! Your hero is gone. Thank god it was fast and harmless. Thailand is a democracy on a short stick. This whole episode shows how good an idea that was.

September 20th, 2006, 14:14
Wonderful...the Crown is in control. How are you all going to feel about that when sonny-boy is monarch?

Aunty
September 20th, 2006, 15:10
Wonderful...the Crown is in control. How are you all going to feel about that when sonny-boy is monarch?

That will depend entirely on how much clout he carries with the people, the elite, and the military, won't it.

September 20th, 2006, 15:28
As His Majesty said in one of his birthday address a few years ago
"This is Thailand not Thaksinland"

Long Live His Majesty, and Long Live General Prem too.

September 20th, 2006, 15:43
OK hold the coup parties for the moment, give it a week or so. Yes I am still wearing my Orange wrist strap, and yes Democracy has it's flaws Thaksin was one of them, but I would say it would be prudent to stay out of trouble for the time being.

Soldiers armed with heavy firearms reinforced at Army head office

Soldiers armed with M21 machine guns and two RPG rocket launchers were deployed to reinforce the area in front of the Army head office.

A TV report also showed a footage of soldiers form the Third Army Area moving their personnel to Bangkok.

The Nation

September 20th, 2006, 16:36
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/19/thailand.coup.rumor/t1.1740.soldiers.afp.gi.jpg

Just me - or does the one in the middle look like you know who?[/img]

Aunty
September 20th, 2006, 16:40
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/19/thailand.coup.rumor/t1.1740.soldiers.afp.gi.jpg

Just me - or does the one in the middle look like you know who?[/img]

Who????

Dodger
September 20th, 2006, 18:22
I just love a boy in uniform...and would enjoy polishing a few of their gun barrels when I'm in town.