PDA

View Full Version : There has been a coup in Thailand

September 19th, 2006, 22:17
on the bbc now.

There has been a military coup in Thailand.

September 19th, 2006, 22:21
I read in The Nation website... saying there's a rumour of coup in BKK.

September 19th, 2006, 22:36
"Sort of a coup?"

Is that like being "sort of pregnant?"

September 19th, 2006, 22:49
A watcher of Fox News and CNBC in America has emailed me to say Thaksin has declared a State of Emergency in Thailand and is on his way back from New York.

September 19th, 2006, 22:54
I am watching CNN right now and they are reporting the same thing. The army has tanks on the streets in Bangkok and the army television and radio have gone to patriotic songs. Thaskin is here in New York at the UN and is supposedly going to fly back to Thailand tonight. He has declared a state of extreme emergency.
I'll post more as I hear it.

September 19th, 2006, 22:57
that would be the same Mr Thaksin who resigned as PM of course. Perhaps he's having a coup against himself.

September 19th, 2006, 23:00
"Sort of a coup?"

It is not confirmed yet boygeen, that is why I said it like that, you would be the first to complain if I said it was a coup

Its coming out now that it looks like the army chiefs who Thaksin fired, who have taken over government. There is going to be a military announcement soon

September 19th, 2006, 23:01
The army has the government buildings surrounded and have ordered police to stand down. More as I get it.

September 19th, 2006, 23:09
Fox news has just aired video of Army in bkk, with at least one tank, and several military vehicles.

September 19th, 2006, 23:09
How come we haven't heard from LMTU did he miss something or is he still trying to spell 'coup'

September 19th, 2006, 23:11
"Sort of a coup?"

It is not confirmed yet boygeen, that is why I said it like that, you would be the first to complain if I said it was a coup

Its coming out now that it looks like the army chiefs who Thaksin fired, who have taken over government. There is going to be a military announcement soon

You did say it was a coup, then corrected yourself a while later.

Marsilius
September 19th, 2006, 23:15
BBC is reporting that it is definitely a coup.

September 19th, 2006, 23:19
Army states they are now in Control

September 19th, 2006, 23:20
But most importantly, ARE THE BARS OPEN????

Marsilius
September 19th, 2006, 23:22
BBC has reported bars have been closed!

September 19th, 2006, 23:24
But are the boys now selling their asses on the streets instead? Get Christian fucking Amanpour on the scene to find out, for the love of God!

September 19th, 2006, 23:24
Where oh Where has Shinawata got his money , I would hope he has it in off shores accounts

September 19th, 2006, 23:34
'Coup' sparks Thailand emergency
Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has declared a state of emergency in Bangkok amid reports of a coup attempt.
Soldiers have entered Government House and tanks have moved into position around the building.

Mr Thaksin, who is at the UN in New York, announced he had removed the chief of the army and had ordered troops not to "move illegally".

An army-owned TV station is showing images of the royal family and songs linked in the past with military coups.

Correspondents say that there have been low-level rumours of a possible coup for weeks.

Thai media say that two army factions appear to be heading for a clash, with one side backing the prime minister and the other side backing a rebel army chief.

Our correspondent Jonathan Head said it was not clear which faction had taken the initiative.

He said there has been pressure growing on the prime minister to resign, following a political impasse in which April's general election was declared invalid.

But it was thought that Thailand was making progress towards holding another election later in the year, our correspondent says.

At the United Nations, where the annual General Assembly is under way, it was announced that the agenda had been changed to allow Mr Thaksin to address it in the coming hours.

RonanTheBarbarian
September 19th, 2006, 23:49
Thaivisa.com has been down for a while now.

I wonder is the owner George in the General's clutches? :salute:

Or has it just keeled over from all the traffic?

Poor Monty picked a bad week to put his business on the market, I fear.

Still, it could all have a silver lining. As Gaybutton has stated on another board, "the most interesting aspect of it is going to be how it affects the dollar-to-baht exchange rate."

September 19th, 2006, 23:57
All the international news channels have suddenly just gone off air from UBC.

September 20th, 2006, 00:05
Songkran comes early !.

Aunty
September 20th, 2006, 00:20
I've just heard the news report here in New Zealand. (It's 5 am here). There is a coup underway in Thailand. Tanks are rolling on the streets of Bangkok.Some Govt. building has been surrounded by the military and the police have been told to lay down their arms. Some military structure has been put in place to run Thailand in the interim to undertake political reforms. Thaksin apparently has left New York and is on his way back to Thailand. I don't know how widespread support among the military for this coup is, but no doubt the next few hours will tell us. If you're in Bangkok, it might pay to stay away from govt. buildings today and just stay near to your hotel and homes.

It's also been reported on the BBC world service that there is a coup in Thailand - breaking news

September 20th, 2006, 00:27
Gee, thanks for letting us know! How did we all miss this news???

September 20th, 2006, 00:30
Bangkok post is carrying an article headlined "From US Taksin bans foreign travel", but can't get any details at present.

Aunty
September 20th, 2006, 00:31
Gee, thanks for letting us know! How did we all miss this news???

Well since you're so full of the latest and most up-to-date information about what's going on on the ground there, what are you hanging around in here for?

September 20th, 2006, 00:33
The bars are closed; what else is there to do?

Dick
September 20th, 2006, 00:59
Sterling is up against the Baht!

September 20th, 2006, 01:00
Best news I've had all week. I'm carrying over a million baht in credit card debit!

September 20th, 2006, 02:08
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... topstories (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/19/thailand.coup.rumor/index.html?section=cnn_topstories)

September 20th, 2006, 02:22
CNN is now reporting that the military has voided the constitution. Thaskin, supposedly, is on his way home either now or tonight after speaking to the General Assembly. He did, however, skip a luncheon for world leaders, so maybe he has already left.

September 20th, 2006, 02:26
My bet is that Thaksin will not be coming anywhere near Thailand for the time being. Rumors are already abounding that his family has "escaped" to Singapore.

llz
September 20th, 2006, 03:59
Toxin had to cancel its adress to tne U.N. in New York ... what a loss of face for him in front of all the world leaders :blackeye: !!

Dodger
September 20th, 2006, 04:31
Liz...Thaksin didn't have any face left to lose.

September 20th, 2006, 04:37
It's the Thai people who have lost face. Their democratic voice has been rendered meaningless, once again, by the military.

Dodger
September 20th, 2006, 04:48
Boygeenyus...

I agree that the Thai people, as a whole, will lose face, but I don't believe the root cause of this can be blamed on the military. I'm afraid Thaksin will have to take all the credit for that.

September 20th, 2006, 05:07
This must be over quickly for the peoples sake. Could cost Thailand amny billions in lost investment revenue etc.

I suspect it wont be long before an election announcement after Thaksin is sorted out one way or another.

September 20th, 2006, 05:33
The math is easy here. Thaksin was no favorite of the King. The head of the military is very, very close to the King. The King has no power over Thaksin. So The military takes care of the problem. The military is very loyal to the king, and I have no doubt they will return power as soon as they have an HONEST election in November.

RonanTheBarbarian
September 20th, 2006, 05:33
The latest story on Thaivisa is that some of the more pro-Thaksin generals are meeting at the moment outside Bangkok decide what to do.

If they decide to oppode the coup things could turn nasty!

September 20th, 2006, 06:54
Liz...Thaksin didn't have any face left to lose.

Thaksin will go out and there will be not a civil war, Thai's are not violent . We all think to Western, Thia's have karma on the left side off the brain, we have more on the right, this is a real Thai story this will end in a surprise for us farang.

Mai phen rai, Dodger, you forgot, my friend ? :flower:

September 20th, 2006, 06:58
Thai's are not violentNo, they're barely human beings in that regard! Given the popularity of drive-by shootongs, plus of course the army's favourite occupation (and only real skill) - shooting unarmed Thai civilians - I'm sure everyone can joing in the chorus "Lovely Land of Smile"

September 20th, 2006, 07:11
Thai's are not violentNo, they're barely human beings in that regard! Given the popularity of drive-by shootongs, plus of course the armiy's favourite occupation (and only real skill) - shooting unarmed Thai civilians - I'm sure everyone can joing in the chorus "Lovely Land of Smile"

homitern you where constantly telling over and over again troll Baziel is on your ignore !

But your point shooting unarmed Thai civilians ( special in the south), i am very agree !

Dodger
September 20th, 2006, 18:37
baziel...

mai pen rai,

Vic