PDA

View Full Version : I want to be an engineer one day.....

AMARETTO-old
September 18th, 2006, 15:15
Child beggar reads hard and dreams of a real life

"Nueng" is six years old and can often be seen begging at Wat Bang Phli Yai Klang in Samut Prakan.
While waiting for people to give him money he sits and reads books and practises writing in the temple compound.
"I don't have money to pay for my studies in a school," he said.
Nueng, who does not know his surname, said he learned to read and write from a monk at the temple, which is near to his rented home.
"I have to accompany the monk on his rounds to receive food offerings in the morning, and then he teaches me," he said.
Nueng said he came to Wat Bang Phli Yai Klang with his five-year-old brother, who would sit in another area of the temple, to beg every weekend and on Buddhist holy days.
"I come here only on weekends and Buddhist holy days because that's when the most people come. I usually get at least Bt50 a day, sometimes Bt100 or Bt200," he said.
Nueng said he gave some of his money to his mother for family expenses and kept some to buy books for himself.
"I love to read. I buy books I like by myself and sometimes, some kind people give them to me," he said.
Nueng lives with his mother, younger brother and father, who is disabled. Both parents are also beggars.
But he said he did not want to be a beggar all his life.
"I hope to leave this job when I have to go to school. I want to be an engineer one day. I can already do electrical repairs by myself."
While we were talking, four women approached and asked him for the winning numbers of the next lottery. He gave them his prediction.
"Actually, I do not want to give the numbers but they insist and I do not want to upset them," he said after the women had left.
He said he had given many numbers to many people and one person had won. After that more people came to ask him.

Somroutai Sapsomboon

Aunty
September 18th, 2006, 16:55
Only in Thailand. Perhaps Thakshan could use some of his tax free billions to put this child through school? Or would he rather that the poor just eat cake, preferably not his?