PDA

View Full Version : Lull before the storm

September 17th, 2006, 09:00
Having just come back from Thailand, I got the distinct feeling that some kind of coup is imminent. There is the classic build up, Prime minister suddenly trying, but unsuccessfully to rearrange the military, Royalty, with the military's backing opposing the Government. The prime minister making all sorts of desperate and "bizarre" overtures to the west for help, even likening himself to Aung San after he had to stay home for a day. The west however preoccupied, and sensibly unmoved.

It seems to me it will no longer depend on how the mood in the rural's swings, both the interested parties have more or less this same constituency, however the subtleties of persuasion from the governments opposition out there, seem lost, will the army have to define these subtitles a little bit more, as it's main ally is more or less bounded by these subtleties? Will the democratically elected but corrupt monkey of a prime minister decide to stand down, in favour of an acceptable replacement, and not just someone who secures and furthers his own extreme and insatiable ambitions and ill gotten wealth? Is there such an acceptable person? Will the prime minister go quietly, or has he already committed the worst of all sins, and spoken ill of the nations respect for it's monarchy, and as such displayed a tenacity and lack of respect for the Thai people themselves that will never simply vanish of it's own accord?

The military is already stirring, and taking up it's position and it is up to the task. The whole nation jumped in their shoes last week after a small but visible military exercise led them to believe they were beginning to make a move. Lets hope for all the Thais sake, that they dont have any real ambitions themselves, but like a shepherd, just guide the happy democratic process along it's path.

September 17th, 2006, 09:18
Like I said long ago, Thaksin's primary motivations are:

1. To keep all his money (as he is a criminal, he is danger of it being confiscated)
2. To keep out of jail

Notice he is now OUT of Thailand and will be for some time. Maybe forever. Remember Marcos.

The chances of seeing him again as PM are very remote.
Not sure whether there will be a military coup or not, but in the context of Thailand, a coup isn't the worse thing that could happen, especially if it secures Thaksin's definitive EXIT.

Bob
September 17th, 2006, 09:49
Yes, the smell is certainly in the air. And it's only been 14 years or so since the last one. If it happens, it'll only happen with the blessing or tacit approval of the King and I'm doubtful that will occur. As backward as the Thai governmental institutions may be and even though the military has a long history of changing governments in LOS, I would think that all of the relevant
parties' biggest worry would be the impact to Thailand from the international reaction to a coup.

I arrive October 17th and I hope I see neither soldiers nor boats (the predicted flooding) at the new airport.......

September 17th, 2006, 09:55
I have been reading that King Never Smiles book, and based on that, it would not be unheard of for the King to approve of a coup.

Like I said, there are alot worse things than a coup, if the coup led to fair elections.
The current situation with Thaksin pulling down the country is intolerable.

September 17th, 2006, 10:23
I doubt the military will take over. Just the threat of them doing so ought to galvanise the parties into sorting their mess out.

September 17th, 2006, 10:39
I'd say its 50, 50, and a coup doesn't necessarily mean a military dictatorship. It could be a transition period. We shall see. In any case, Thaksin is history. Of course, post Thaksin could even be worse. Such is politics and life.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09 ... 013834.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/17/politics/politics_30013834.php)

September 17th, 2006, 12:13
Like I said, there are alot worse things than a coup, if the coup led to fair elections.

Don't forget that "fair elections" brought Thaksin to power initially and have kept him there. Another election today would re-elect him in a second.

What's "fair"?

September 17th, 2006, 12:17

Don't forget that "fair elections" brought Thaksin to power initially and have kept him there. Another election today would re-elect him in a second.

What's "fair"?
No election system is perfect. Not so certain he would be elected today, but maybe. It is unacceptable to too many powerful people for Thaksin to continue because Thaksin has radically divided a country that so values harmony.
Thaksin will NOT be back in power. Ever. Not clear how that will come about, but it is apparent.

Thaksin so blatantly values his own interests over the countries interests. The King has been mentioned. Do you think the King wants Thaksin to continue, when that means a divided nation? Of course not.

September 17th, 2006, 12:30
Not so certain he would be elected today, but maybe.

That may be how it looks from Georgia, but here in Thailand there is no question whatsoever that Thaksin retains plenty popularity to carry an election were it to be held today.

September 17th, 2006, 12:32
Not so certain he would be elected today, but maybe.

That may be how it looks from Georgia, but here in Thailand there is no question whatsoever that Thaksin retains plenty popularity to carry an election were it to be held today.
Thats really not the point. Thaksin in power is unacceptable. You also know it will never happen again. I already agreed that Thaksin could win the votes again, but again, that is not the point. It doesn't MATTER that Thaksin can win again. It would be too damaging to Thailand for that to happen, and there are more powerful forces at play than the ego and money of that one man.

Thailand needs a UNITER, not a DIVIDER.
Thailand is NOT a real democracy in the western sense and may never be one.
To paint Thaksin as a defender of democracy is comical considering he is a criminal.

Aunty
September 17th, 2006, 12:47
If an anti-Thaksin putsch seems to breathe as expectantly on the streets of a stirring Thailand as some of you are suggest, does his current absence from the country actually confirm the rumours to be true? Where is the rest of his family? And where has he gone?

Herr Hitler was elected the German Chancellor by free, fair and open elections. Which is perhaps why they say that the greatest weakness of the democratic process is that it assumes an informed electroate. or put another way, the system is only as good as the vice of its voters.

September 17th, 2006, 12:50
Also Thaksins has controlled all the major Thai media. Whats fair about that?
Thaksin is in New York right now, and claims he is flying back soon.
Doesn't appear there has yet been a coup based on that. Interesting times in Thailand, thats for sure.

September 17th, 2006, 13:49
Thailand's Prime Minister, a 'Caretaker' on a Roll

By Anthony Faiola
Washington Post Foreign Service
Saturday, September 16, 2006

BANGKOK -- In the trunk of the now infamous gray Daewoo found near Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's urban mansion late last month was a bomb with a bit of everything. Weighing more than 10 pounds and packed with C4 explosives, military detonators and two sticks of dynamite with short fuses, it was hardly inconspicuous.

Little wonder that Thaksin's detractors immediately labeled him a fraud, charging his camp with orchestrating a fake assassination attempt to curry sympathy with voters ahead of elections. Bangkok newspapers ran endless satires on the episode involving the man they have come to call "Thug Sin."

The true nature of the bomb plot is still under police investigation, but eyebrows have been raised in part because the case's key suspect -- the car's driver, Lt. Thawatchai Klinchana -- is allegedly close to one of Thaksin's own military advisers. Additionally, no clear motive has emerged.

Whatever the case, Thaksin's critics concede that any public sympathy generated by the alleged plot is only one of their problems. Despite significant political turmoil over the past several months, the prime minister remains highly popular among a majority of Thais.

Following "people power" protests and the opposition's boycott of elections in April, Thaksin, a billionaire tycoon first elected in a 2001 landslide, pledged to take a break from politics. In the interim, though, he has become Thailand's "caretaker prime minister."

His political future is unclear. Many observers, including key members of the opposition, acknowledge that the anti-Thaksin demonstrations in the spring did not represent the majority opinion in the country. Rather, poor and rural Thais -- the single largest group of voters -- have benefited during Thaksin's tenure and remain firmly in his camp.

Sensing this, Thaksin and his supporters have become far more coy about whether he intends to keep his promise to give up the prime minister's job. Some in his ruling Thai Rak Thai, or Thais Love Thais, party have suggested that Thaksin has effectively fulfilled his pledge to take a temporary break from governing by serving in a caretaker role for five months.

Elections scheduled for Oct. 15 are now expected to be postponed until November or later.

"The prime minister will still be the head of the Thai Rak Thai party, and he will still lead the list of party candidates," Prommin Lertsuridej, Thaksin's top aide, said in an interview. "But whether he will accept another term is still under consideration." Prommin later said that "a small group of doctors, of intellectuals" want the prime minister out of office. But if the majority want him, he added, "who are the real supporters of democracy here?"

Thaksin's popularity stems in part from a series of successful policy initiatives -- including his decision to offer government-funded micro-loans to poor villagers as well as low-cost health care, from flu shots to open-heart surgery, to the neediest Thais.

Thaksin's opponents insist that his enduring popularity has been won through "giveaway" politics. They say his party has doled out food and cash to poor voters. Worse, they contend, he has corrupted Thai democracy by monopolizing coverage on the television, a medium in which many outlets are controlled by the government or Thaksin supporters.

The Bangkok-based Abac Poll Research Center of Assumption University released a study this month showing that Thaksin's party receives almost seven times more television news coverage than the Democrat Party, the leading opposition party.

"How is it possible for us to take part in democracy when the people don't even know who we are?" said Korbsak Sabhavasu, the Democrat Party treasurer. "The poor and the farmers, they do not read Bangkok newspapers. They watch television, and all they see is Thaksin. That is not democracy. That is manipulation."

One thing everyone appears to agree with is that Thailand needs a viable leader -- and fast. As the power vacuum lingers in the capital, Islamic separatists in the south are waging an increasingly violent insurgency. On Aug. 31, the separatists were blamed for setting off 22 bombs almost simultaneously in banks across Thailand's southernmost provinces in one of the single largest attacks since fighting surged two years ago. Although only one person was killed, analysts say the bombings were clearly intended to sever the south's financial lifelines to more prosperous Bangkok.

The lingering constitutional crisis and mounting insurgency led former prime minister Anand Panyarachun to declare last week that the nation was at risk of becoming a "failed state."

"We cannot go on with this uncertainty," said Panitan Wattanayagorn, a political analyst at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University. "It is one of the factors allowing the insurgency to continue in the south. Thailand needs resolution and solutions, and they cannot wait."

For that reason, all parties involved are pressing for the soonest possible date for elections -- an issue likely to be decided soon by a new election committee recently purged by the courts of Thaksin's underlings. If Thaksin wins another landslide victory, however, Thailand may end up back where it started -- with more street demonstrations and an even deeper political crisis. Some analysts say Thaksin may attempt to lead his party to victory and then voluntarily step aside -- a scenario that a few in his own party have said could be the best way out of the crisis.

On Wednesday, Chakaphan Yomchinda, a senior party member, suggested on national television that Thaksin would ultimately step down. But others insist there is no reason for Thaksin to go if the people still want him.

"If the opposition thinks he is corrupt, then take him to court and prove it," said Samak Sundaravej, a Thaksin supporter and former Bangkok governor. "Democracy means the choice of the people, and if Thaksin is again elected, then who can say they know better than the people?"

September 17th, 2006, 13:58
Good article. And more evidence Thaksin will be gone. A victory for him wouldn't solve anything.

September 17th, 2006, 16:46
Thailand is roiled by ultra liberals, who becomes enormously much power in the industry the last years. Real change will only comes from the people and as i see it, it will not happens fast ! . Most leaders in the government in Thailand are old soldiers from the army !

September 17th, 2006, 18:31
I wouldn't be hoping for a Coup as it is a possibilty( tho small) that all farang holdings could be lost. It really depends on you takes over. I believe on the last coup all foreigners were told to leave the country till things were secure again.

Bob
September 17th, 2006, 21:35
Thaiquila: "Thaksin in power is unacceptable."

I don't recall the Thai consitution provides that you get to choose in contravention of the majority of the voters. While I seem to think that Shinawatra won't be prime minister again because of all the pressures and ugliness of the last 2 years, I completely agree with BG that he is the clear preference of the majority of the voters in Thailand. And, if they want him, who really care what a falang thinks?

September 17th, 2006, 22:08
Thaiquila: "Thaksin in power is unacceptable."

I don't recall the Thai consitution provides that you get to choose in contravention of the majority of the voters. While I seem to think that Shinawatra won't be prime minister again because of all the pressures and ugliness of the last 2 years, I completely agree with BG that he is the clear preference of the majority of the voters in Thailand. And, if they want him, who really care what a falang thinks?
Amazing interpretation of my comments.
Of course it wouldn't be constitutional.
The Thai constitution has changed how many times?
This isn't a sold constitution as yet.
It has nothing to do with what I think.
It has to do do with the powers that be in Thailand who have nothing to do with the PM.
It is they who will not accept any more Thaksin, and he knows it too, he is just trying to save his fortune now.
Also, I am not hoping for a coup. I am only noting that when things come to a head in Thailand, even in MODERN Thailand, a coup is a very real possibility.
In case I have to spell it out again, the reason a Thaksin reemergence is unacceptable is because it would just mean more dissent and division, and a continued effort to boot him out, regardless of the election results. So NOTHING would be resolved.

September 17th, 2006, 22:10
I wouldn't be hoping for a Coup as it is a possibilty( tho small) that all farang holdings could be lost. It really depends on you takes over. I believe on the last coup all foreigners were told to leave the country till things were secure again.

Utter nonsense (both the statement about "farang holdings" could be lost, and that all foreingers were told to leave the country during the last coup).

Where do you get this stuff?

September 17th, 2006, 22:12

Utter nonsense (both the statement about "farang holdings" could be lost, and that all foreingers were told to leave the country during the last coup).

Where do you get this stuff?
I never heard of anything like that either. Back it up, or shut up.

September 17th, 2006, 22:17
Thaksin in power is unacceptable. You also know it will never happen again. I already agreed that Thaksin could win the votes again, but again, that is not the point. .

Unacceptable to farangs and the more enlightened Thais maybe, but you need to remember that the majority of votes are held by Thais already living in poverty and if Thaksin is not opposed by a credible well organised opposition, of which there is not one at the moment, then a few cash sweeteners and new incentives as has happened before will easily return his party to power. There is little time for any opposition to prove to the majority of Thais that they can and would provide a better future for the majority of Thais than Thaksin.

As in many parts of the world the rule 'Better the Devil you know' applies

Whether of course Thaksin would accept the post of PM is a different matter but don't underestimate the man's power and influence.

September 17th, 2006, 22:20
Of course an acceptable compromise will mean continued TRT power WITHOUT Thaksin. That is a very likely outcome and would allow to country to move on in relative harmony.

September 18th, 2006, 05:47
Here is a little something from Blam at Thaivisa for the Thaksin fans on this board:

My guess is that most of you people on this board do not speak Thai, if you do, maybe you can handle a fifty word vocabulary at best. I am not flaming you with my posts I am trying to make you understand the bottom line, maybe with a sense of humor. But Thai level, here it is:

If you spoke Thai you would understand that most of this country no longer supports the schitzophrenic movement of the Thai Rak Thai ruling party, no they don't, not any more. The extra judicial murders (known 4000, 10k is the accepted figure) during the cessation of ya-ba days was a shock to the Thai sensibilty. The corrupt construction contracts in the North were something they were used to, but 4 superhiways around a city that only needed one? Thai/Chinese contractors? Yep, they wonder a lot about that. (Thaksin is Thai/Chinese) The election commitee tampering, where 4 TRT supporters go to jail for not investigating fraud? The non payment of a massive amount of income tax by the Shinawatras? And of course, the switching of local military control to police control in the south, creating the bipolar effect we have now, i.e. bombs. (Thaksin is a big believer in police control, after all he is a 30 year cop.)

TRT has screwed up this country. If you need some correction on what the Thais think: this country IS NOT RUN BY THE THAI PEOPLE, it is run by Thai Rak Thai party. TRT is getting away with everything it wants without portfolio, and when something doesn't go their way they blame the press or the farangs. End of story. TRT vote buying strategies are already in place in all of the poor tambons in the country, because of this they will most probably win again. Thai people would not want you to know how it works, but there it is. People vote with their wallets 100% of the time.

Now. Tell me, who will buy the new condos in Chiang Mai and Phuket that Thaksin directly supported? Who is going to plunk down 10 million baht ($250,000 US) in hard currency for a retirement home w/visa in a schiziod and questionably controlled 'developing country? Big ideas, big plans, but hello they aren't selling, and the bathrooms are going to rust to rot before anyone is going to buy into this mess.

When you guys bloat up and start talking about the Thais want it this way, and the Thais want it that way... if you don't speak Thai, you know nothing of what you speak. You do however know what the ruling party wants, you know that for sure. Everyone I talk to, every one I know all over the country is sick and tired of the control issue. The educated Thai population wants Thai Rak Thai out, and out now. This visa issue is not a big thing, but it is ANOTHER thing that the Thai population is not happy about.

So, that's what it's all about here, control. Learn Thai, stop blither blathering with your farang buddies, stop pretending to know, TALK to the THAI people here. Educate yourselves on reality. And again... bendix and nuffsaid, stop it, just stop. Your high and mighty rhetoric is best served in your own homes. You don't have a clue what is really going on at ground level Thailand and you probably never will.

'Old and in the way' in Phuket

September 18th, 2006, 09:26
I don't think there are any Thaksin fans on this board, dear. It must be your persecution complex acting up again.

September 18th, 2006, 10:22
Looks more and more likely that TRT party is disbanded and removed from the political landscape altogether.

September 18th, 2006, 10:38
I don't think there are any Thaksin fans on this board, dear. It must be your persecution complex acting up again.
Don't be so sure. Alot of farangs like "strong" leaders.

September 18th, 2006, 10:46
Looks more and more likely that TRT party is disbanded and removed from the political landscape altogether.
Even if they were, they would just regroup under another party name.
Time we consider the Thai democracy as the fiction that it is. Americans tend to think democracy translates well all over the world. It doesn't. Even Americans don't vote. And look who is winning elections these days? Hammas, a radical Islamist in Iran, and Thaksin.

September 18th, 2006, 11:24

EVERYONE I know likes a strong leader. Don't you? And that's the exact problem with the opposition: they don't have one.

Dboy
September 18th, 2006, 11:26
I'm still waiting for democracy to translate well over here in US. We have determined that it is much simpler to let corporations decide who the President should be. If that doesn't work then we can always outsource the job to India.

Dboy

September 18th, 2006, 11:26

EVERYONE I know likes a strong leader. Don't you? And that's the exact problem with the opposition: they don't have one.
Yes, I like strong leaders who have the best of interests of their people in mind. Not bad strong leaders.

September 18th, 2006, 11:37

Yes, I like strong leaders who have the best of interests of their people in mind. Not bad strong leaders.

So, who do you have in mind? I don't know a single Thai politician that fits that description.

September 18th, 2006, 11:40
As boygeenus said - thats the problem - who else?

September 18th, 2006, 11:46
At this point, practically anyone.

September 18th, 2006, 11:46
At this point, practically anyone.

September 18th, 2006, 11:54
Well, that's just brilliant, isn't it? Full of gripes and whinges, yet with no solutions (as usual).

PS: did you ever consider that a benevolent politician that had his people's interests in mind might come down harder on the sex industry (and people like you) than even Thaksin did?

September 18th, 2006, 11:59
Well, that's just brilliant, isn't it? Full of gripes and whinges, yet with no solutions (as usual).

PS: did you ever consider that a benevolent politician that had his people's interests in mind might come down harder on the sex industry (and people like you) than even Thaksin did?
I am not Thai. They will have to pick their own leader. I am only observing that it will NOT be Thaksin anymore. There are many qualified Thais to be PM and you know it. They aren't all super rich and own all the media like Thaksin's party of course.

And somone OTHER than Thaksin IS a solution and it is the solution that is going to happen in Thailand. It might take a military coup and that would be too bad, but if that happens, Thaksin would deserve the blame for being so selfish and stubborn by not leaving voluntarily.

Whatever happens in Thai politics will happen. I have no control over that. If it means I get kicked out, I'll go somewhere else. Too bad. It isn't a matter of me wishing Thaksin gone or not, it is obvious he will be gone.
People like me huh? You make alot of assumptions about someone you never met.

September 18th, 2006, 12:12
Unless you reveal a little bit about yourself -- how long you've been here and what you're doing here for starters -- all we're able to do is make assumptions based on your rantings. If you'd like us to think otherwise, give us some information to work with.

September 18th, 2006, 12:16
Unless you reveal a little bit about yourself -- how long you've been here and what you're doing here for starters -- all we're able to do is make assumptions based on your rantings. If you'd like us to think otherwise, give us some information to work with.
Think what you'd like. But stop making an ass out of yourself by making false assumptions. I would prefer if you just consider my comments objectively instead of fishing for personal attacks.

September 18th, 2006, 13:03
Think what you'd like. But stop making an ass out of yourself by making false assumptions. I would prefer if you just consider my comments objectively instead of fishing for personal attacks.

Thaiquila, since you were banned for life from the Pit forum for making comments guarenteed to upset ethnic and releigious groups and then went on to try and justify your puerile spiel in a later post: http://ai-jane.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0 (http://ai-jane.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2466&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) (your last post at the bottom of that page)

Don't you think that asking anyone to consider your comments as objective rather than serving your self-interest is asking a bit much? All your postings in Al-Jane forum are there for all to read and your agenda is obvious.

September 18th, 2006, 13:21
Post edited. Ignoring the trolls.

September 18th, 2006, 13:41
If you are limiting this to the visa runner issue, didn't I say this before? I have never been a 30 day stamp runner. Never did a land border crossing for a stamp. In the past I have needed to use creative combinations of tourist visas and air travel to other nations to either get new visas or just take a vacation so I could return a get a 30 day stamp. If that makes me scum and a criminal, I plead guilty. At present, I have graduated from that and thats all I am going to say about that. I do not have a PERSONAL interest in what happens to "visa runners". I do think they are being unfairly stereotyped and scapegoating. I think farangs who gang up on and make conclusions about all visa runners are just not thinking fairly.

It is the very people who use 'creative tourism' apart from the visa runners who the Thai government are targetting, there will be no restrictions on farangs genuinly working or living here with the relevant visas.

You have made an investment in propery in Thailand and then find your stays will be restricted knowing full well when the purchase was made that the short term visa was not
intended to permit you to become a resident ,Now you see that investment and risk and are chucking you dummy out of the pram?

September 18th, 2006, 13:45

September 18th, 2006, 13:53
And frankly without it being easy to be in Thailand for long periods of time during this transition phase, I doubt I would have ever done it.

And THAT, my dears, (along with the cheap sex) is the main reason why Thailand has become a dumping ground for the losers of the world: it is (or, has been) easy to stay here for long periods. Most of us who are here for legitimate reasons applaud the fact that it is getting increasingly difficult. See ya in Ecuador!

September 18th, 2006, 13:54

September 18th, 2006, 13:56
And you wonder why people are feeling LESS WELCOME?

It is no wonder at all, as the new rules are DESIGNED to make the "people" you refer to feel less welcome.

September 18th, 2006, 13:58

September 18th, 2006, 14:07
No, see you in Thailand.

My only question (not that you'll answer it) is WHY...since you so obviously loathe this country and its people so much. Don't you think that living somewhere you hate is an excellent recipe for becoming a hateful, manic depressive, bitter person? Oops...looks like it's too late.

September 18th, 2006, 14:09
No, see you in Thailand.

My only question (not that you'll answer it) is WHY...since you so obviously loathe this country and its people so much. Don't you think that living somewhere you hate is an excellent recipe for becoming a hateful, manic depressive, bitter person? Oops...looks like it's too late.
One last post. I love Thailand. I don't like the government much. Given the recent changes, I will always try be ready to leave because all farangs are in Thailand at the pleasure of the Thai government. Bye for now!

September 18th, 2006, 18:13
[quote="Thaiquila
One last post. I love Thailand. I don't like the government much. Given the recent changes, I will always try be ready to leave because all farangs are in Thailand at the pleasure of the Thai government. Bye for now![/quote]

Strange how in your postings over many forums that when you realise that you are losing the argument you either suggest closing the subject or moving on! going back, as you have done and removing entire postings, is indicative of someone who realises that their arguments are futile and lack any substance.

Your postings methods are pernicious and you have shown that you are only interested in your own self-interests and are not concerened who suffers in the process of you trying to prove that you are being persecuted.

The fact that you like or dislike the government has no bearing on the matter, as has been suggested try to find somewhere else to visit. I am sure Thailand would benefit .

Smiles
September 19th, 2006, 01:53
Thanks Khun Naughty for the link to this message board ("Thaiquila's Last Stand": http://ai-jane.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0 (http://ai-jane.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2466&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) ) . . . reading that thread was quite an eye-opener.

My favourite Thaiqila-Quote was this gem:

" ... Thanks John. I really appreciate your hospitality! I agree I am unique. For me, it is both a blessing and a curse ... "
Vomit or laugh? Vomit or laugh? Tried both at the same time ... nearly died. :wav:

Thaiquila ... MasterDebater indeed.

Cheers ... :cheers:

September 19th, 2006, 02:48
Oh, I read that thread again. The reason I was banned for life that time was something to do with the homophobic moderator of the pit accusing me of posting porno, which I didn't. That was the first time I was banned for life. Then I was banned for life again. Then I was reinstated. Then the pit just died. It will probably heat up again for the Hillary election in 08. I don't care if you laugh or vomit. I am unique. You may hate me, but you've got to give me that. Ciao.

September 19th, 2006, 03:21
[quote="Thaiquila"]I don't care if you laugh or vomit. I am unique. You may hate me, but you've got to give me that. quote]

Hate you NO. pity you Yes.

Unique NO, their are many deranged idiots around this world who think they are being persecuted.

Thaquila your problem is that you feel you are the only person in this world that matters when the reality is you are a nothing, having read many of your old posts I notice that the reaction of many posters in those forums is the same as mine.

Your views are inconsistent, incomprehensible, self centred and in many cases tend to lean towards the racist. In fact all of the things that you profess to detest.

However we do all need someone to laugh at and you do serve that purpose even better that the VI :bounce:

September 19th, 2006, 03:31
Thanks Khun Naughty for the link to this message board ("Thaiquila's Last Stand": http://ai-jane.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0 (http://ai-jane.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2466&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) ) . . . reading that thread was quite an eye-opener.

You are welcome Smiles.

When you have a few hours to kill and you need a really good laugh I suggest that you stick 'thailquila' into Google where you will find many more brainless gems from the 'great Masterdebater'

It is many years since I have read such self-opiniated views from anyone. Maybe we could have a competition to find thaiquila's most ridiculous post ( shouldn't take more than a year or two) and then LMTU can arrange a nice freebie meal at one of his friends' establishments as the prize. :idea:

September 19th, 2006, 04:13
Back to the topic, sans trolls ...

You see, there are enough Thai people that will just not TOLERATE Thaksin coming back to power.
He must go, or the nation will remain painfully divided.

DIVIDED KINGDOM
Political battle set to resume

PAD rally kicks off tomorrow; TRT plans signature drive in Northeast

Supporters and opponents of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra were set for another round of dangerous confrontations yesterday as they announced plans to campaign for their causes.

Leaders of the anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) yesterday insisted they would begin a mass rally tomorrow at the Royal Plaza and would continue its protest until it could "defeat Thaksin".

Suriyasai Katasila, co-ordinator of the PAD, said the new street protest was aimed at pressuring Thaksin to make it clear whether he will take a break from politics.

"By failing to make it clear about his political future, Thaksin is holding 63 million Thais hostage," he said at a press conference.

PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul told the press conference that the PAD decided to hold a mass rally again to force Thaksin to leave politics immediately. "We will hold a rally every day until he leaves the country," said Sondhi.

Provincial groups allied with the PAD yesterday said they would focus their effort on the Bangkok rally while public protests planned for Chiang Mai and Buri Ram would be put on hold.

Meanwhile, Thai Rak Thai politicians were preparing to launch a signature campaign in 19 northeastern provinces in support of Thaksin becoming prime minister for another term.

Surachat Chamansil, former party MP for Udon Thani, said yesterday that Thai Rak Thai politicians would campaign with party members in the northeast.

"Most northeastern residents are aware about the PM's uneasiness in facing pressure from the opposition and the PAD," he said.

Pro-Thaksin groups in Udon Thani will hold a rally in the northeastern province this Saturday, where as many as 100,000 people are expected to join, said Sompong Chan-ngam, one of the group leaders.

In the run-up to the April 2 general election, later declared void by courts, the PAD and Thaksin supporters held separate rallies in Bangkok.

In a related development, the Thai Rak Thai Party yesterday demanded the Election Commission put a stop to a campaign by the People's Alliance for Democracy claiming it was in violation of human rights to seek a ban on caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra returning to the country.

Kuthep Saikrachang, a Thai Rak Thai legal specialist, said he and the party's legal team would file a complaint with the EC today demanding a probe into the violation by PAD members.

"Although the PAD claims that it is backed by constitutional right, its actions must not violate the rights of others. Surely it is a human rights violation to campaign against the return of Thaksin," he said.

Kuthep said the PAD was also trying to arrange a boycott of the election and was carrying out political activities as an illegal party. Thai Rak Thai would ask the EC to stop a rally that the PAD had organised for Wednesday at the Royal Plaza.

Vichit Plangsrikul, another Thai Rak Thai legal expert, said he suspected the PAD was in violation of Article 8 of the election law - gathering more than 15 people to carry out political activities during the run-up to the election.

"We will consult with the EC on whether any action can be taken," he said. Vichit said the PAD must review its decision about tomorrow's rally as it could lead to a confrontation with government supporters.

The Democrat Party's Election Office spokesman Thepthai Senpong said the PAD had every right to carry out any peaceful political activity and would not be violating the election law since no political party supported it.

He cited two articles of the Constitution that gave the PAD the right to rally: Article 44 stipulated that a person or persons have the right to a peaceful gathering and Article 65 stipulated that a person or persons have the right to oppose through peaceful methods any activities which would bring about sovereign power but which do not conform to the methods stipulated in the Constitution.

Thepthai said if Thai Rak Thai believed the PAD defamed the party it could take them to court and file a libel suit.

Chat Thai Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa said he feared the PAD rally would create political turmoil. He did not pin high hopes on the new EC as they were inexperienced.

"To solve a political crisis takes time because it's an outcome of many years. I know of a way out but I will not say how," he said.

Chat Thai Party deputy leader Somsak Prissanananthakul said the PAD had the right to organise the rally and the party should not interfere.

"I regard the PAD's political activities as public participation in politics," he said.

Dboy
September 19th, 2006, 06:05
I love Thailand. I don't like the government much. Given the recent changes, I will always try be ready to leave because all farangs are in Thailand at the pleasure of the Thai government.

But this is no different from ANY country. The recent changes in Visa rules change nothing in that respect.

As far as the popularity of Toxin, everything I've read lately suggests to me that not much has really changed. His popularity in the NE region remains high, and his support in Bangkok (middle class, and intellectuals) remains low. Am I missing something?

OK, one more thing. So this anti-toxin party is called People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) right? So we have Thai Rak Thai against Pad Thai? I'm hungry now.

Dboy

September 19th, 2006, 06:20
I love Thailand. I don't like the government much. Given the recent changes, I will always try be ready to leave because all farangs are in Thailand at the pleasure of the Thai government.

But this is no different from ANY country. The recent changes in Visa rules change nothing in that respect.

As far as the popularity of Toxin, everything I've read lately suggests to me that not much has really changed. His popularity in the NE region remains high, and his support in Bangkok (middle class, and intellectuals) remains low. Am I missing something?

OK, one more thing. So this anti-toxin party is called People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) right? So we have Thai Rak Thai against Pad Thai? I'm hungry now.

Dboy
There are reports some of his base is eroding.
And yes, nothing has changed much. Both sides at loggerheads.
The anti Thaksin side will not tolerate Thaksin continuing, so his insisting to continue (which I doubt that he will) means a continuing political crisis.
Bon appetit.

September 19th, 2006, 07:02
I realised he was a loser in a very early exchange and he's been on {Ignore} for me ever since

September 19th, 2006, 07:35
I realised he was a loser in a very early exchange and he's been on {Ignore} for me ever since
Loser by these fools definition is any farang who has not internalized Thai hiso farang phobia.

September 19th, 2006, 08:58
It has come to my attention that there are some Thaiquila fans on this board!
Enjoy!

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=thaiqu ... 500&dups=1 (http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=thaiquila&ei=UTF-8&xargs=12KPjg1ftSoIe9mvinF9y1WeGHwFsP5cPpsN5sCpINHp lvynQcBaYuMPCUz7gHOY833DzVzoPWr75aHMefx7v2S1DVvGDY gND%5FlL3yy%5FBkaPjaBo8Qx4Izqtv03rayBu8xY5KAiekivP ZQEj7Lt0h%5FgtBQnEHlgTlK3eOF2UssCzLpxApI57TkE%2D5M vPNtceQiFJNBe6wVTCWqAweOPK5bZ%2D1o3N%2D%5FYhAIhBpQ 124PGGfCdZdkotrM%5FLQUnYTqSr6CTdLqsOpsfQLKobOP45qd dXWDnb3PPEmB%5FbRMklgcO5%5FLY0uM2x4s3K7KjugrGsZHjy mDfjjhV0TqVXWTRBlKzrAZDg3rPG0P%2DHK2aah0MxWO4EOOTJ oWJOQJg2kI8VOGL%5F41PzLfwgt111ePIqXPtB7xAK9v177jkm Ly%2DkkRnfLTyeCfHcmni7XdxAHXVwdTmTic&pstart=9&fr=yfp-t-500&dups=1)

September 19th, 2006, 13:08
[quote="Thaiquila"]It has come to my attention that there are some Thaiquila fans on this board!
Enjoy!

http://search.yahoo.com/search?

No thanks.

Now that I understand your postings are racists, pernicious and the ranting of a nonentity who is paranoid that he is being persecuted I certainly do not have any interest in looking at you self promotions.

You will simply provide me with amusement watching you stumble incoherently around this forum. :alien:

September 19th, 2006, 13:30
Now that I understand your postings are racists, pernicious and the ranting of a nonentity who is paranoid that he is being persecuted I certainly do not have any interest in looking at you self promotions.

You will simply provide me with amusement watching you stumble incoherently around this forum. :alien:[/quote]

It is becoming obvious that Thaquila has quite a substantial past life on forums being banned etc, but Naughty&Nice can you guide me to the post where they have been racist, because I for one have no time for racists, and would like this claim verified with some proof, before I decide to ignore their posts.

September 19th, 2006, 13:32
If I am being called racist, that is a total LIE. It is the very low tactic of a troll.
The only forum I was banned from was the bearpit because the bearpit is a RIGHT WING pro bush anti gay board, and I am a somewhat LEFT WING anti bush homo. I went a bit overboard defending my positions there. That sort of thing is very common on POLITICS boards. Get it? OK then.

Even if this troll can produce some post that he claims is racist (I can't account for thousands of posts) it would be totally out of context. I am quite pissed off now, which is what that troll is trying to do.

BTW, off to San Francisco tomorrow for a week of cultural fun. Its hard work being a "loser". See ya later.

September 19th, 2006, 13:49
If I am being called racist, that is a total LIE. The only forum I was banned from was the bearpit because the bearpit is a RIGHT WING pro bush anti gay board, and I am a somewhat LEFT WING anti bush homo. I went a bit overboard defending my position.

Even if this troll can produce some post that he claims is racist (I can't account for thousands of posts) it would be totally out of context.

I smell a rat.

September 19th, 2006, 14:03
If I am being called racist, that is a total LIE. The only forum I was banned from was the bearpit because the bearpit is a RIGHT WING pro bush anti gay board, and I am a somewhat LEFT WING anti bush homo. I went a bit overboard defending my position.

Even if this troll can produce some post that he claims is racist (I can't account for thousands of posts) it would be totally out of context.

I smell a rat.
I don't know what you mean, but if you don't believe I am not a racist, imagine if someone accused you of being a racist on an internet board and didn't back it up. How would you feel about that? Someone says it, and then some people believe it, doesn't matter what you say, eh? This troll really hates me for many reasons and calling me a racist is his tactic. Ciao.

Sample of just how "racist" I am:
http://www.bearpit.net/index.php?showto ... #entry3253 (http://www.bearpit.net/index.php?showtopic=411&st=0&p=3253&#entry3253)

So now that I've established I am not a racist, what is the proper name for a TROLL that falsely accuses people of being a racist?

September 19th, 2006, 16:04
The Peoples Alliance for Democracy (PAD) are going to hold a big demonstration tomorrow, demanding caretaker Prime minister Thaksin, immediately quit politics and stay in exile.
I think he should go, now, while there is still chance that blood has not been shed. With academics and students joining in the demonstrations, it is looking extremely unlikely that Thaksin will ever be able to regain the upper hand in a peaceful manner. His possible return on Friday looks set to be a very uneasy time for both Thaksin and Thailand.

AMARETTO-old
September 19th, 2006, 16:26
The Park Avenue in New York roared with shouts of "Thaksin Get Out" Monday local time, a Web site reported.

The Thai New York.com site reported that the members of the New York branch of the People Alliance's for Democracy greeted caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra with protest on Park Avenue where the prime minister had luncheon meeting with a group of foreigners.
Thaksin had the luncheon meeting at the Asia Society on the Park Avenue from 12:15 to 2 pm.
When he left the buildin at 2:15 pm, some 300 PAD members, carrying placards shouted "Thaksin Gent Out!".
Thaksin turned to smile and wave at them and left the scene in a car.
The Web site reported that the New York PAD also set up small groups of protesters and deployed them to most venues where Thaksin would pass during his stay in the city.
For example, the protesters gathered in front of the Grand Hyatt Hotel where Thaksin stays and the largest group gathers in front of the United Nations building.
The Web site reported that a restaurant owner closed her shop for three days to join the protest in front of the UN building.
The Web site said Thais from Florida, who were visiting New York, and many from New York State, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut also joined the rally.
The Web site said a man and a woman, carrying signs saying "We love Thaksin" tried to mingle with the protesters.
They walked near the protesting site and shouted "We love Thaksin" and "Thaskin Fight on".
And when a TV reporter interviewed protesters, they also shouted into the microphone.
But the two were late asked to leave the scene by New York police after they were found to have no permission for demonstration.
The Web site said hundreds more Thais would join the protest against Thaksin on Tuesday and a Thai restaurant, Saeb, in Queens area, would provide free foods to the protesters.

The Nation

September 19th, 2006, 16:33
A lousy 300 protesters? How much of a "roar" could they possibly create? Sounds a bit sensational to me.

September 20th, 2006, 21:27
A lousy 300 protesters? How much of a "roar" could they possibly create? Sounds a bit sensational to me.

Oh I just couldn't help myself, it's an ego thing. And so it was arse, and so it was.

September 21st, 2006, 14:01
but can we now put this quote :

"I doubt the military will take over"

amongst famous last words.

all meant in the nicest possible way of course.

September 21st, 2006, 18:07
Thanskin gave an interview before the United Nations meeting and before the Coup was announced, in which he was asked about the upcomming elections and whether he would accept the primer ship again. His reply was that he would wait till the day of the elections to make his decision whether he would accept it again. It was very evident that he had every intention of holding office again. The Coup was probably the best way to get rid of him and his entire staff at one time.

September 21st, 2006, 18:18
Well, yeah...so much easier than finding a party and a candidate that might have actually beat him in an election. Democracy is so inconvenient, isn't it?

Aunty
September 21st, 2006, 20:00
Well, yeah...so much easier than finding a party and a candidate that might have actually beat him in an election. Democracy is so inconvenient, isn't it?

it is when it brings people like Adolf Hitler and George Bush II to power.

rincondog
September 21st, 2006, 22:28
тАЬIt has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.тАЭ---Winston Churchill

I think many on this board who are now in praise of the coup may be eating those words a few months from now.