PDA

View Full Version : The all New American Prime Angus Steak House Manhattons

September 15th, 2006, 20:12
The atmosphere of the restaurant is just as you would exspct witha guy who has set up some of the best steak houses in America.

Which steak houses would those be, pray tell?

September 15th, 2006, 20:51
Go and meet the owners ask to see my good friend Tom Vicario, say LMTU sent you he will give you a special welcome.

And your kickback for each customer is how much?

September 15th, 2006, 21:37
What about my question?

September 15th, 2006, 21:55
Thanks for the compliment Naughty But Nice, but I'm not that good as you think I am.

It was not a compliment is was a question that you avoided answering.

So again, how much is your kickback?

September 15th, 2006, 22:08
Now write something Interesting about Gay Thailand, after all this is what we are here for, and stop being a bore.

You mean we're not here to gush over restaurants?

allieb
September 15th, 2006, 22:19
Imagine going to Thailand from the USA, eating steak and getting so excited about it. I quote something that Boygeenyus once said on another thread "What a waste of a meal in Thailand"

September 15th, 2006, 22:31
I LMTU have never in my life been paid for anything I have given Information about on here, or any web site to do with gay Thailand,

LMTU you have told many tall tales in the past but this one takes the biscuit! :compress:

September 15th, 2006, 22:40
Imagine going to Thailand from the USA, eating steak and getting so excited about it.Agreed, that might seem unusual, if not perhaps pathetic. <g>

Keep in mind, however, that the membership is divided between those who are on holiday from the western steak-eating countries, while plenty of we FBOCs are resident in Thailand full-time. We FBOCs might like a tip on good western-type dining in the 'hood. Then again we might not. ;-)

[disclaimer: I'm not really bald]

September 15th, 2006, 23:38
A great steak is never a wasted meal.
Make mine BLOODY.

llz
September 15th, 2006, 23:53
I do not write a lot on this board mostly because not being in Thailand I have not often something interesting to write about.
But this time I have to say that I am more than bored by some posters on this board, whose only contributions are hijacking threads, flaming, writing nonsense... this thread is another example of the despicable mentality of some who should try to get more interesting things to do in their life than spitting their shit.
Did someone compare the way threads about visa regulations went on on both this board and, say, thaivisa ? On thaivisa, more than 50 pages without any flaming and brimmed with interesting information and opinions, and here on sawatdee, you did not even have to wait for page 2 to have the thread becoming a battle field.
Are gays doomed to be unable to have respectful and tolerant discussions ?

allieb
September 16th, 2006, 00:01
Imagine going to Thailand from the USA, eating steak and getting so excited about it.Agreed, that might seem unusual, if not perhaps pathetic. <g>

Keep in mind, however, that the membership is divided between those who are on holiday from the western steak-eating countries, while plenty of we FBOCs are resident in Thailand full-time. We FBOCs might like a tip on good western-type dining in the 'hood. Then again we might not. ;-)

Bkk gwm You are right I hadn't thought of the farang residents of LOS. But I must say It would take a very long time for me to get fed up with Thai food. And a steak would only be once in a blue moon.

September 16th, 2006, 00:08
I do not write a lot on this board mostly because not being in Thailand I have not often something interesting to write about.
But this time I have to say that I am more than bored by some posters on this board, whose only contributions are hijacking threads, flaming, writing nonsense... this thread is another example of the despicable mentality of some who should try to get more interesting things to do in their life than spitting their shit.
Did someone compare the way threads about visa regulations went on on both this board and, say, thaivisa ? On thaivisa, more than 50 pages without any flaming and brimmed with interesting information and opinions, and here on sawatdee, you did not even have to wait for page 2 to have the thread becoming a battle field.
Are gays doomed to be unable to have respectful and tolerant discussions ?

Judging by the picture you've chosen as your avatar, I imagine you spend much of your time pleading for "respect" and "tolerance".

September 16th, 2006, 00:12

Bkk gwm You are right I hadn't thought of the farang residents of LOS. But I must say It would take a very long time for me to get fed up with Thai food. And a steak would only be once in a blue moon.
I love Thai food also. However, don't assume how long it would take you until you try it!

September 16th, 2006, 08:39
that a food tester like LMTU go in first to test the quality at an upmarket joint like Manhattan as it is in that strip with Bruno's etc so it's probabaly a bit more expensive than usual but us glam fags need to know important information as we do like to have a dress-up night out ocassionally especially when Edith is picking up the tab so this review is appreciated and welcomed.

nb: bkk gwm .. you fibber..your'e bald as a coot

catawampuscat
September 16th, 2006, 12:10
It just isn't fair when so many posters attack an innocent lamb like lmtu who is just trying to promote, yet another restaurant
for altruistic reasons.. Why are some people so suspicious of one so pure of spirit, so honest and non judgmental, so humble
and gentle? I can't figure it out..

You can't believe everything you read on forums and I am sure lmtu is just trying to do a good deed and has no other motives..
Give the poor guy a chance....

It just isn't fair... I think everyone on this forum should invite lmtu to a free steak dinner and show our remorse for battering
this poor little innocent lamb and I for one will start with an invitation for Oct. 31Th.. I have already lined up Hedda, who is somewhat
slighted at being removed from the bottom of lmtu's postings as his admirer, and I think ES will fly over on the Thai non-stop for the event.
Of course, we will all be in costume, masked at least, as it will be Halloween.. One condition, lmtu must dress as Hannibal Lechter with the
gag and the goalie mask.. I think I will come as the Swamp Thing and Hedda told me he is thinking of coming as Bush.. what a nite (mare) it will be...
:idea: :drunken: :drunken: :cat:

September 16th, 2006, 13:22
I think it most important that a food tester like LMTU go in first to test the quality at an upmarket joint like Manhattan as it is in that strip with Bruno's etc., so it's probably a bit more expensive than usual but us glam fags need to know important information as we do like to have a dress-up night out occasionally especially when Edith is picking up the tab so this review is appreciated and welcomed.

When she mentions me picking up the tab her meaning becomes crystal clear. What she is so politely saying is, in her opinion,'it's not important, appreciated, etc.'

Not that I would ever want to set the cat amongst the pigeons--Or (As in this case) a pigeon amongst the cats. :angel12:

wowpow
September 16th, 2006, 17:41
"Are gays doomed to be unable to have respectful and tolerant discussions ?" liz

I agree with your post completely. I don't know who is to blame the loonies who post or those who foolishly reply. There are people who find it amusing but it's beyond me. Time for some strict Moderation maybe?

September 16th, 2006, 17:42
about ??

God knows I never do but you can see why I insist she bloody well pays the tab at dinner if I have to sit opposite the bat all night.

Really Catawampussy..you must have seen Manhattan from the outside..it looks like they have spent a fortune on the joint and I doubt they would give LMTU a backhander or even the odd T-bone for referring anyone to the place.

If they had to rely on the readers of this board to survive Lord help them.

In fact I don't think there is a place in Pattaya that you could patronise every single night and expect to receive any better treatment than other customers...TIT !!!

(I lie..there is one el cheapo spot where I get an extra potato for giving extra larga 40 baht tips)

sattahip-old
September 17th, 2006, 14:25
I ate there last night with a few friends. The decor is high quality. The place seems to abound with staff. As for the meal and service, well allowance must be made for it being their 2nd night open. The service was eager and friendly but lacking in experience and polish. The tables and chairs are comfortable but the table settings a tad twee. We had ordered our food in the bar so there was some understandable confusion about who was having what. Some parts of the order especially side dishes did not appear. Hot towels provided at the start were left on the table for about an hour till we asked them to be cleared. Forgot to serve us bread until reminded. When we went to order another bottle of the red wine we were drinking, they were out of it! The wine list is frankly silly being divided into 2 parts, American wines and "International" with no indication of the country of origin. Probably copied from their US operation and inappropriate here. One bottle stock? Now the food; it was quite nice. I had a caesar sald and a veal sirloin and both were very tasty and the steak cooked as ordered. My baked potato was served with sour cream bacon and chives on the side. There was about enough sour cream to cover a teaspoon-why bother-real inexperience on show here. Others had the prime rib and steaks and all but one dish were satisfactory. The loser was a prime end cut (not asked for) which was very salty.
Coffee was a disaster. Again very twee china and 2 espressos ordered were in demi-tasses but were ordinary coffee. When questioned the waiter said the machine was broken so they thought serving ordinary coffee in small cups would do!
Again as per Mata Hari at the beginning, no credit card facilities. Now they have been building this place for over a year and not to have got that right is careless. Worse no notice to the effect, so one could in good faith lob up, eat, produce the plastic and end up in the monkey house with an unpaid account.
Overall even allowing for early days about 4/10 but I think if the owners get a grip with a superb location, beautiful venue, eager staff and reasonable prices that rating could soar pronto.

September 17th, 2006, 14:31
Great review.
Another Fawlty Towers staff situation.
Especially loved the sour cream and coffee story.
Thailand Unforgettable

BTW, the wine classification sounds quirky but befitting an American steakhouse. Fine restaurants are part fantasy and entertainment. I can imagine a French restaurant in Thailand doing the same thing, French and international.

wowpow
September 18th, 2006, 21:26
One rather odd thing that they do at Manhattans is to have the dishes un-numbered on the menu which isn't helpful to second language challenged staff. The wine list also has no numbers. That's big staff challenge even for an experienced sommelier who has to check that it's the right label, the right grape variety, the right year etc and won't help the cashiers either.

September 18th, 2006, 23:41
and enjoyed the atmosphere..and the manager rushed over to ask if he liked his sirlion steak..which he would have as it was what he ordered but he got a t-bone instead..plus the usual cock-ups mentioned by the other poster on here..all first night nerves but most annoying was the no credit card business...very dangerous !!

wowpow
September 19th, 2006, 08:14
Not a Sirloin it was a PRIME AUSTRALIAN RUMP. Most people get angry when they come to Pattaya for some prime rump and only get the t-shirt.

This is very shocking imagine a waiter getting the order wrong in a restaurant in Thailand. Where's the beef?

Smiles
September 19th, 2006, 09:18
" ... Not a Sirloin it was a PRIME AUSTRALIAN RUMP. Most people get angry when they come to Pattaya for some prime rump and only get the t-shirt. This is very shocking imagine a waiter getting the order wrong in a restaurant in Thailand. Where's the beef?... "
Happens all the time ... and sometimes much worse!!

Read this restaurant review by Joanna Cates on sitting down to dine at a new Mexican restaurant in Toronto:

Spicy plates satisfy at Milagro . . . when they're served
By JOANNE KATES [Globe & Mail)

Milagro

5 Mercer St., Toronto, 416-850-2855. Dinner for two with wine, tax and tip, $100.

Milagro is the Spanish word for miracle . . . which is what we could have used our first night at Milagro restaurant on Mercer Street. Half an hour went by and we did not have a morsel to nibble. Is it d├йclass├й to expect tortilla chips and snazzy salsa in a place billing itself as Toronto's first high-end Mexican resto? As for classy, the signature margarita arrives in a glass big enough to house a couple of goldfish, and when we order three starters the waiter has a hard time figuring out where to put them on the table. This is high end?

The tuna in the ceviche is rubbery (perhaps because of too lengthy contact with the lime juice?) and its cucumber, serranos, yellow peppers and capers are tasting tired. Up next is a dish of lobster tacos, an apparent oxymoron that just has to be ordered. Slightly tough small lobster chunks with refried beans, avocado and spicy chipotle pepper sauce makes for a pleasant moment -- but not a $16 one.

In the normal course of events, the mains come next, usually after a respectable interval of perhaps 20 minutes. Not tonight. We arrived at 7:40 and ordered dinner fairly promptly. At 9:30, there are still no mains, and the waiter asks if we'd like to see the dessert menu. We tell him we haven't been given our main courses yet. His face turns an interesting red colour. In 35 years of reviewing restaurants, I've had lots of unfortunate dining experiences, but this is a first: Never before have they forgotten to bring the main course.

The poor guy is horribly humiliated and promises it will only take seven to 10 minutes to deliver the mains. Which raises the question of just how much is being cooked in advance and reheated. The tampiquena that he brings eight minutes later doesn't exactly scream "├а la minute." The steak is tough and overcooked, the Mexican-style rice is stuck together and gummy and the mole enchilada an unlovable combo of acrid sauce, overcooked chicken and soggy enchilada.
The buzz around town has been so hot on this place that we give them another chance a few days later. This time, the place feels like a different restaurant. It looks the same -- upmarket cantina, thanks to the grace of the tall vaulted arches left behind by previous tenant Monte Cristo, with some bright green paint and tall wooden palm frondy things added behind the banquettes -- but this evening they bring house-made tortilla chips and salsa to start, and everything we order appears.

Most of it is much better this time -- except the shrimp ceviche. I am fond of ceviche, but this one needs more coriander. Also, the promised bucket of hot sauces (which did appear last time) doesn't materialize. Equally disappointing is the tortilla soup (our third appetizer the first night). A classic tortilla soup is as complex as Venetian underpainting, built in layers on a foundation of good stock (I favour a combo of chicken and beef) with browned chilies, garlic and corn tortillas, and tomato merely as grace note. This version tastes thin and too much of tomato pur├йe. The traditional crispy tortilla strip topping is also sadly absent. You can get a better tortilla soup at Wolfgang Puck fast-food outlets at airports.

Clearly, this is a kitchen that does better when things heat up. Shrimp fare fine in taquitos sirena, shrimp in a jumped-up sauce made from adobo and guajillo chilies, gentled with onions, almost enough coriander and small chunks of fresh pineapple.

The chef is Andres Anhalt, who owns Milagro with his brother, Arturo. The pair have been in the food business for years, Arturo as food and bev controller at the Windsor Arms and in other jobs at the business end of food service, and Andres as a chef running a tapas place in Mexico City, their hometown.

Chef Anhalt hits some high notes. He sears grouper fillets nicely and serves them with a light buttery lime sauce zinged with chopped serrano chilies, onions and coriander, and a wonderful side of nopal cactus salad. His cochinita pibil, Mexico's answer to pulled pork, is quietly seasoned with achiote and orange, but gets the lift it needs from vinegary pickled red onions and habanero peppers. Wrap it up in a house-made corn tortilla, and you can almost hear the mariachis play.

But the chef's most marvellous Mexican moment is a vegetarian one: Chilies rellenos are dark ancho chilies stuffed with smooth young goat cheese and served in spicy green sauce redolent of coriander and chili with a grand citric bite of lime.

Mexican desserts do not tend to tear the cover off the ball (if I had a nickel for every pockmarked thin flan I'd ever wasted money and calories on in Latin America . . .). But Anhalt edits flan for flavour: He adds cheese to the custard, producing a thick, rich dessert with a cheese back story. His custard with goat's milk caramel (a play on dolce de leche) is also entertaining, but the flan approaches divinity.

Finish dinner with a $28 snifter of aged tequila, which goes down like fine French cognac, and think of the Aztecs, who had their ups and downs, for Milagro is the Jekyll and Hyde of restaurants: One day it is wonderful, and another day it seems only a milagro would help.

Cheers ...

September 19th, 2006, 09:54
Thank-you for the excellent post LMTY,
I cannot decide if LMTY should be getting so much flaming here or not, there might be a lot I don't know about them. But until now I haven't read a post that I didn't find interesting from them. So inform us won't you, all those flaming tarts who seem to take such pleasure in attacking LMTY, WHY???

It can't be for his unusual grammar can it? I love his unusual grammar, it makes people more real somehow, LMTY is obviously not English so everything he writes has also got that quaint broken English style. Besides he is a fixture here, and would be missed if he suddenly took all the flaming seriously and decided to quit. I also love his avatar, though I am biased, having just come back from Thailand and feeling home sick. Any-way LMTY for the moment I love your posts.

I am sure many expats would love a nice steak-house once every so often. I just hope they open one up in Hong-Kong. Here we just have crap, even an "Argentinean steak house" that only serves Australian meat? I also get so tired of steak shredded into thin strips and cooked until it tastes and feels like spam, all covered in a mouth watering mucusy goo,and seasoned with monosodium glutamate. Give me a nice bit of rare juicy meat all char grilled on the outside, that I can shred with my own teeth anyday.

September 19th, 2006, 09:58
LMTY is obviously not English

That's the sad part...he IS English!

wowpow
September 19th, 2006, 10:48
"So inform us won't you, all those flaming tarts who seem to take such pleasure in attacking LMTY, WHY???"

Because he responds and winds them up. IGNORE them and they fail.

Dodger
September 19th, 2006, 18:09
I can't begin to understand why some people thrive on being so NEGATIVE. Maybe it's some deep-seeded childhood prejudice or animosity...who knows!

What I do know, is that POSITIVE people like LMTY contribute a lot more to making this a better world to live in then the pack of NEGATIVE naysayers who always seek out POSITIVE people to attack as if they were their prey.

I've never once read a topic posted by LMTY that was in any way NEGATIVE or intended to insult or offend another person. Rather, his posts are always fun, with the primary aim at being informative.

You can all make up your own minds regarding who you like to communicate with on this planet - but I'm content sticking with the POSITIVE ones, regardless of their writing styles.

mai pen rai