PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia

September 13th, 2006, 20:20
Recently went to Malaysia - been there many times - but whilst it is not your Thailand, it certainly is a great place, with Singapore on the border for all your westernised fun i.e. loads of kinky singaporeans out there - whereas Malaysia is a little tamer, but still has its moments. Not too many gwms out there so one is popular - the club scene is basically just one or two of them, Liquid and Blue Boy - a few discrete saunas are available. All in all because it is a little less key, you can have a fab time, especially walking along Jalan Bukit Bintang where the new style cafes are, and the food is brill - lots of arabs there now, wonder why!!. But worth a visit

September 14th, 2006, 08:08
Not only that, you can get a 5-year retirement visa for roughly the same amount of funds as the Thais want you to show for one year. If it weren't for the Little Sisters of the Prophet and all that other nonsense (yes, so many Arabs) it would be the ideal retirement destination - and free sex rather than the perpetual round of money boys

September 14th, 2006, 10:48
Not only that, you can get a 5-year retirement visa for roughly the same amount of funds as the Thais want you to show for one year. If it weren't for the Little Sisters of the Prophet and all that other nonsense (yes, so many Arabs) it would be the ideal retirement destination - and free sex rather than the perpetual round of money boys
Not true.
If you are over 50 and want to do a fixed deposit, you need to deposit over 40,000 dollars. The pension alternative requires a very generous pension most don't have. Even more for under 50. That said, it is an excellent and well organized program! I would consider it if Thailand gets much much worse.

http://www.mm2h.com/term_conditions.php
http://www.retireaway.com/forum/cp_malaysia.htm

cottmann
September 14th, 2006, 13:43
Not true.
If you are over 50 and want to do a fixed deposit, you need to deposit over 40,000 dollars. The pension alternative requires a very generous pension most don't have. Even more for under 50. That said, it is an excellent and well organized program! I would consider it if Thailand gets much much worse.

http://www.mm2h.com/term_conditions.php
http://www.retireaway.com/forum/cp_malaysia.htm

I guess this is because Malaysia is targeting middle-class retirees and not those who retire to Thailand.

September 14th, 2006, 14:02
I'm not sure where you get you facts, cottager. Here are the Malaysian requirements - "Financial requirements for single applicants a pension of RM7,000 ($1,842). OR Savings of RM100,000 -$26,322 for single applicants, to be transferred to a local bank or financial stitution." The eqivalent for Thailand is 800,000 baht, which at today's exchange rate is $21,400. I don't consider $5K US to be that substantial a difference. I am of course not remotely interested in what it costs for a married couple

cottmann
September 14th, 2006, 14:12
I'm not sure where you get you facts, cottager. Here are the Malaysian requirements - "Financial requirements for single applicants a pension of RM7,000 ($1,842). OR Savings of RM100,000 -$26,322 for single applicants, to be transferred to a local bank or financial stitution." The eqivalent for Thailand is 800,000 baht, which at today's exchange rate is $21,400. I don't consider $5K US to be that substantial a difference. I am of course not remotely interested in what it costs for a married couple

Homintern, if you read the postings carefully, you might find I didn't give any figures, but merely a reply - that is what the "quote" means. But maybe your figures are dated or more up-to-date than those posed. I tried http://www.malaysiasite.nl/retiring.htm, which says.
The conditions:
8 The applicant must prove a minimum fixed deposit of RM150,000 with any Malaysian financial institution AND have a monthly offshore income equivalent to at least RM7,000 if single or RM10,000 if with spouse.
But if applicant is above 50 years old, he has only to prove either a fixed deposit of the same amount OR a monthly income as stated.
Having a reputable sponsor can be a help. However, this condition is not required if the financial background and status of the applicant satisfies the Processing Officer.

8 To have a medical report from any recognized hospital.

8 A medical health insurance valid in Malaysia.

Currency converter at http://www.xe.net/ucc/convert.cgi gives 150,000 ringgits as 40,851.07 USD and 7000 ringgits as 1,906.41 USD

The Malaysian Immigration Department website at http://mm2h.motour.gov.my/cms/index.php?n=en states that 0ver-50s can:
* either choose to:
- Open a fixed deposit account of RM150,000.00 ; OR
- Show proof of monthly off-shore income of RM10,000.00 such as pension scheme.

* After a period of one year, participant who fulfills the fixed deposit criteria can withdraw up to RM90,000.00 for approved expenses relating to house purchase, education for children in Malaysia and medical purposes.

* Participant must maintain a minimum balance of RM60,000.00 from the second year onwards and throughout stay in Malaysia under this programme.

10,000 ringitts is 2,723.33 USD according to Currency Converter. Either way, the amount of income and/or savings required in Malaysia is considerably higher than in Thailand.

September 14th, 2006, 14:54
Homintern, if you read the postings carefully, you might find I didn't give any figures ... Either way, the amount of income and/or savings required in Malaysia is considerably higher than in ThailandAll-in-all, a typically confusing cottager posting then. As I say, I don't regard the Malaysian requirements for a retirement visa to be "considerably" higher than those for Thailand, but then I don't really spend a lot of my time worrying about how the poor white trash of Asia get by. My point was that, in terms of value for money, a 10-year, multiple-entry visa from Malaysia is worth a lot more (measured I concede by intangible criteria) than a one-year single-entry visa from Thailand. (NB The Malaysians have extended the original scheme from 5 to 10 years). Like the Philippines there are no silly retrictions about age except that the financial requirements are higher. Someone with assets abroad that they could use as security could doubtless borrow their way to putting forward the deposits which are not, frankly, that onerous

September 14th, 2006, 23:10
You can use some of the money to buy property. It is a great program for people of moderate wealth. More expensive for people under 50. Maybe an idea for Thailand, make the requirement for under 50 higher, and open up the retirement visa to under 50's.