PDA

View Full Version : Cambodia

September 13th, 2006, 06:13
I'm going to Cambodia in a couple of months, can anyone give me the value of the currency there. Can use either US$ Thai Bt or uk ┬г. Have tried aol currency converter but it doesn't list Cambodia. I understand US$ are widely used but I want to be able to compare. ON US$, what is the best denomination value to take, 10, 20 or 50?
Many thanks

tony279760-old
September 13th, 2006, 06:33
according to http://coinmill.com/KHR_calculator.html 10,000 riel is equal to $2.40. take as many small dollar bills as you can ($1 - $10) as small businesses won't have change for anything bigger. a lot of the time they will want to give your change in riel even if you paid in dollars. you can very quickly end up with a pocket full of notes. i didn't try it, but i would imagine 50s and 100s would have to be taken to a bank.

gearguy
September 13th, 2006, 07:44
don;t worry about the exchange; as mentioned bring lots of one and five US dollar bills; but not brand new but also not old looking, worn out, rips tears or marks. I also bring some 10 and 20s but never 50s and 100s. Lot of 50 and 100 fakes around asia and lots of places won;t take them or change them. I changes a 50 one time on a flight to BKK and then found out it was a counterfit.

Hope you have a great time. Cambodia is a magical place. If you want to stay gay, cheap and decent the Golden Banana is a nice place. If you want to stay a more posh. the Shinta is nice.

In Siem Reap, the Linga bar is the gay bar in town. If you check out www.stickyrice.ws (http://www.stickyrice.ws) they have some travel articles on Cambodia.

Davey612
September 13th, 2006, 08:12
At least in Siem Reap, bring lots of Dollar bills. But don't worry. If you run out of Dollar bills, just go to the bank and they will change your higher denomination Dollar bills into those useful single ones.

Alan-old
September 13th, 2006, 13:37
How's Pnom Penh? What's the gay scene like?

Anyone been there?

September 13th, 2006, 19:06
I was in Phenom Penn earlier this year. Although, I did not investigate the gay scene (needed a rest), I did meet a cute guy on the river walk. He said he was a university student but didn't seem to worry about missing classes. Years ago it was fun meeting and talking to the guys going to the English schools close to the National Museum. I am not sure if the schools have moved, but this last trip, I found that area to be quite dead. Alan, I know of no go-go bars, but turn on your gaydar and you will have fun. I find the Cambodian people very nice.

September 13th, 2006, 19:31
As of Wednesday, September 13, 2006

1 Cambodian Riel = 0.0002520 US Dollar
1 US Dollar (USD) = 3,968.24 Cambodian Riel (KHR)

Earlier this year, I had no problem with spending and using US currency, even with $20's and $50's. Of course, the street vendor selling water, soda and beer may have trouble changing bigger bills, but when shopping in the market, the vendors would often give you change in both US dollars and Riel. You might have to wait a while until they run to the guy down the street but usually, no problem.

February 24th, 2007, 23:08
I am going to Asia for a month in May and will be spending a few days in Siem Reap; planning to stay at the Ei8htrooms hotel www.ei8htrooms.com (http://www.ei8htrooms.com).

Anyone stayed there before? Appreciate any thoughts.

guyforguy
February 24th, 2007, 23:51
Try this site

bluechillipub.com

G

February 25th, 2007, 23:26
Both Golden Banana Boutique Hotel and Golden Banana Bed & Breakfast is next to each other.

Web site www.goldenbanana.info/thehotel.html (http://www.goldenbanana.info/thehotel.html)

I have not stayed there. So not sure of the place or their services.

yaraboy
April 2nd, 2007, 23:02
ei8rooms seem like a great deal.................anyone checked them out ?

Golden Banana B&B vs their Boutique Hotel ? Seem expensive compared to ei8rooms

Usual story of gay places over charging (Dragon Inn in Vientiane another example)

November 1st, 2007, 05:33
How was the Ei8ht Rooms hotel?
I'm thinking of using it

Thank you.

Jeff

March 1st, 2008, 04:41
I can recommend the Eight Rooms. This is basic, but clean & stylish.
Also no problems when you bring company back from the bars in town.

gearguy
March 1st, 2008, 07:02
I just came back from Siem Reap (first visit in 4 years) and there are now lots of ATMs dispensing US dollars.
In general, you'll get US dollars back in change and they treat 1000 riel notes as if they are quarters.

BTW, there is a new night market just a bit down the road from Red Piano. All the shops are craft oriented
and they have a great bar with an very attractive and entertaining bartender.