PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Hotel

Alan-old
September 11th, 2006, 17:41
I booked a "deluxe", double room through Jimmy for 1200 baht per night. I booked double to avoid problems bringing back a "friend." That turned out to be a non issue. Nobody ever bothered me when bringing back "friends." However, I was kind of disappointed with the room. I couldn't figure out what made it "deluxe", but it was explained to me that all rooms are the same. The higher floor rooms with better views get the classier designations and are more expensive. The room was kind of dowdy, run down. Service wasn't great. The toilet paper was almost all gone and I had to call several times to get it replaced. In the morning, they only gave me one towel. When I complained they explained that they had run out and did bring another one later, but that didn't do much good in the morning when we needed it. You do get a free breakfast buffet, but it ends at 10 A.M. The place was OK but I definitely will stay at the Tarntawan next time. It's more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

September 11th, 2006, 18:30
The place was OK but I definitely will stay at the Tarntawan next time. It's more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Talking to friends who have stayed at The Pinnacle I have always got the impression that it an upmarket backpackers hotel and nothing more.

Certainly the interior is tired and shabby and from what I gather the rooms are very basic.

As you say when staying at The Tarntawan you know you get value for money, it is not at all expensive and you do get somewhere that you are not ashamed to take people back to. Plus it has staff that are amongst the most friendly and helpful in Bangkok.

wowpow
September 11th, 2006, 20:04
Alan, I am sorry that you did not like The Pinnacle. I stay there frequently and your experience is not typical. In the DeLuxe rooms you get two large towels, two medium, two face cloths and a bathmat plus 2 robes, and two pairs of slippers, an in room safe and a higher floor for 1090 baht a night with full breakfast, service and tax. The place has been smartened up a bit but it's a mid three star hotel. The rooms are a bit dowdy and the breakfast is no great shakes though I have heard that the lunch option is excellent from a couple of friends.

For me the place is modest and cheap reasonably clean and comfortable and has no joiner's fee. If they introduce a joiner's fee no gays would stay there. Most hotels at this budget price do charge.

Sure the, four star, Tarntawan Place is far better and significantly more expensive - virtually double. I doubt you will get a room for less than 2150 and 2400baht is their internet price. Lucas and his team do an excellent management job with all day breakfast, welcome parties and terrific staff. They have a great location and it's quiet. That's why it can be a problem getting a room there even out of high season. Oddly they do not have in-room safes (contrary to what I wrote on a previous occasion)

Pinnacle info.

Here are some further details about the types of rooms available and the distinction between them:

The Pinnacle has 170 well-appointed rooms. All rooms are equipped with individually controlled air conditioning units, private bathroom with shower and bathtub, IDD phones, Satellite TV with in-house movies and mini-bar.

All rooms are exactly the same size but have different amenities and are located on different floors.

STANDARD rooms are on the 4th & 5th floor. Rooms are basic with lightly stocked mini bars; safety deposit boxes are available free of charge only at reception.

SUPERIOR rooms are on the 4th, 5th ,6th & 7th floor and have additional coffee/tea making facilities; safety deposit boxes are available free of charge only at reception.

DELUXE rooms are on the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th & 14th floor and have additional coffee/tea making facilities, bathrobes, slippers, hairdryer and in-room safety deposit box.

We hope the above is helpful.

Best regards,

Jimmy / J.F. Holidays Travel & Trading Ltd., Part.
C/O : Pinnacle Hotel Lumpinee, Bangkok
Room # 1312
Tel : 02-287-0111
Mobile : 01-859-6585
E-mail : jimmyfirst@hotmail.com

1) STANDARD ROOMS (4th & 5th Floors) - Smoking rooms ONLY*:
================================================== ===
1.1) STD-Single(1 big bed**), for One person with breakfast = 840 baht/night (*Weekly Rate = 790 baht/night)
1.2) STD-Double(1 big bed**), for Two persons with breakfast = 940 baht/night(*Weekly Rate = 890 baht/night)
1.3) STD-Twin(2 single beds), for Two persons with breakfast = 940 baht/night (*Weekly Rate = 890 baht/night)
<*Note: As of 11 Aug '04 a Non-smoking room is no longer available in a Standard room.>
2) SUPERIOR ROOMS (4th, 5th, 6th & 7th Floors):
========================================
2.1) SUP-Single(1 big bed**), for One person with breakfast = 940 baht/night (*Weekly Rate = 890 baht/night)
2.2) SUP-Double(1 big bed**), for Two persons with breakfast = 1,040 baht/night(*Weekly Rtae = 990 baht/night)
2.3) SUP-Twin(2 single beds), for Two persons with breakfast = 1,040 baht/night (*Weekly Rate = 990 baht/night)

3) DELUXE ROOMS (8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th & 14th Floors):
================================================== ==
3.1) DLX-Single(1 big bed**), for One person with breakfast = 1,090 baht/night (*Weekly Rate= 1,040 baht/night)
3.2) DLX-Double(1 big bed**),for Two persons with breakfast =1,190 baht/night(*Weekly Rate= 1,140 baht/night)
3.3) DLX-Twin(2 single beds),for Two persons with breakfast =1,190 baht/night (*Weekly Rate= 1,140 baht/night)
4) JUNIOR SUITE = One bed room with a big bed + a separate living room (11th, 12th, 13th & 14 Floors):
================================================== =============================
Junior Suite-Single/Double(1 big bed only), with breakfast for two = 1,950 baht/night(*Weekly Rate= 1,790 baht/night)

================================================== ======================================
PLEASE NOTE: BREAKFAST IS NOW PART OF THE PACKAGE AND NO LONGER AN OPTION. HOWEVER, FOR AN ADDITIONAL 100 BAHT (starting 1 Nov '04), THE BREAKFAST COUPON CAN BE EXCHANGED FOR THE BUFFET LUNCH (Monday through Friday only, except public holidays). THIS SPECIAL OFFER IS AVAILABLE ONLY TO GUESTS BOOKING THROUGH J.F. HOLIDAYS, NOT THROUGH OTHER AGENTS OR DIRECT WITH THE HOTEL.

catawampuscat
September 11th, 2006, 22:26
I recently stayed at the Pinnacle and had the same no towel situation.. Fortunately, we checked it just after noon and the towels were
in the room a few hours later.. I guess they didn't plan the laundry or there was some foul up but no big deal, at least for me..

I got a corner room with windows on two walls and it was fine for under 1000B. via Jimmy with breakfast included.. I ended up having
a Thai boy stay with me and we registered together and that was an extra 100B. a day but an extra ticket for breakfast..

The only annoyance was I was charged for some nuts and since I didn't have any, I questioned the cashier..It was only 42B. and the
boy denied eating them but it wasn't worth making an issue over.. It was relaxing sitting up on the roof deck and my friend used the
small gym..
I actually perfer to stay at the Malaysia and enjoy it..It is cheap at around 780B and even cheaper if you take room without TV and I like the
somewhat seedy atmosphere with all the money boys hanging around..Also big pool and no extra charges for short timers..

I wasn't surprised to see BBB Inn pushed at 1200B. a day, as the owner is a friend of the poster.. It is better as a short time hotel and
I am not looking for the owner to comp me or let me run a tab.. One should make a disclaimer when they have a vested interest but that
would be ethical.. :cat:

September 11th, 2006, 22:39
I am one of Jimmy's regular customer and I really have no complaints about the room or service. I always find the rate I pay is value for money. Yes, I've stayed at Tantarwan before and the rooms are a little better but the rate I pay is twice I pay for in Pinnacle.

September 11th, 2006, 23:32

TeePee, is that your photo on your avatar?

If so we have met at a function here in Bangkok.

September 12th, 2006, 00:44
Must agree with Rustee. Pinnacle is an excellent bargain. Like Rustee, I have also stayed at The Tarntawan and have found it to not warrant the tariff.

September 12th, 2006, 01:33
The place was OK but I definitely will stay at the Tarntawan next time. It's more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Talking to friends who have stayed at The Pinnacle I have always got the impression that it an upmarket backpackers hotel and nothing more.

Certainly the interior is tired and shabby and from what I gather the rooms are very basic.

As you say when staying at The Tarntawan you know you get value for money, it is not at all expensive and you do get somewhere that you are not ashamed to take people back to. Plus it has staff that are amongst the most friendly and helpful in Bangkok.
You almost never see people with backpacks there, which is how I think you define a backpacker.
Best deal in Bangkok, great location, decent buffet, nice rooftop terrace.

September 12th, 2006, 03:56
I write this post regretfully because it may encourage people to stay at the Pinnacle which I'd rather have to myself. I suspect that some of the posters have hidden agendas and they're bashing the Pinnacle Hotel either because they want to scare everyone away so they can have it for themselves or because they're promoting some other hotel.

I have been coming to Thailand for eight years, averaging about two months per year and the Pinnacle is the B E S T bargain to be found in gay Bangkok. I tried Tower Inn...500 baht more for a huge room, which I like, but their breakfast buffet is bleeeaaaa! Regency Park was nice and had essentially the same services as Pinnacle but they cost a lot more plus it's a long trek to the skytrain. My room at Le Residence was no larger than a walk-in closet, they charged joiner fees, their staff was as snooty as a Parisian hotel, etc, etc. Other hotels are more expensive and have fewer amenities than the Pinnacle.

The Pinnacle is so much better for many, many reasons.
1. The price...less than 1,000 baht per day for a long stay, about 1,100 for a shorter stay.
2. The location...convenient to MRTA trains and one stop away from Silom
3. The food...really nice buffet with both Thai and American food. Menu varies from day to day
4. The security box (deluxe only). I bring a lap-top with me because I need it for my work. I can put the whole laptop in my security box and lock it up safe and sound. What a relief
5. The services. The usual amenities and the maids will clean the room at any time of the day. The mini-bar is stocked with just four junk food items, so no temptation to nibble on high fat high carbo food.
6. The front desk. Always helpful and requests are taken care of immediately.
7. The view...I too had a corner room and the wrap-around view of the ferris wheel and all the skyscrapers is just wonderful.
8. No joiner fee at all.
9. Lots of free parking for my Thai friends who have cars

So, all in all, the Pinnacle is the place to go, at least for me.

September 12th, 2006, 06:42
[quote=Alan] The place was OK but I definitely will stay at the Tarntawan next time. It's more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Well, I have stayed at the Pinnacle about 10 times, and have yet to see someone who seems to be a backpacker.
Not saying it doesn't happen, but IMO it is not common there.

With respect, I think you've gathered incorrectly.
The rooms at the Malaysia are basic (but adequate). Rooms at the Pinnacle are well above basic.

As you say when staying at The Tarntawan you know you get value for money, it is not at all expensive and you do get somewhere that you are not ashamed to take people back to. Plus it has staff that are amongst the most friendly and helpful in Bangkok.[/quote:2xhpqp4f]

Well, for my budget, the Tartawan is expensive. So, call me cheap.
Maybe those used to expensive levels would think the Pinnacle basic, but they're in a different world to the real people.
I've never stayed at the Tartawan. I'm sure it's good. For the rate, it should be fantastic.

Smiles
September 12th, 2006, 08:20
TARNTAWAN HOTEL RATES

DELUXE ROOM THB 2,500
DELUXE SUITE THB 4,000
SUPER DELUXE SUITE THB 5,000
TWO BEDROOM SUITE THB 7,000
( http://www.tarntawan.com/special.html )

PINNACLE LUMPHINI HOTEL RATES

Period Nov 1, 2006 - Oct 31, 2007

STANDARD SINGLE or TWIN: 1,350 THB
SUPERIOR SINGLE or TWIN: 1,550 THB
DELUXE SINGLE or TWIN 1,750 THB
(Internet rates. Slightly cheaper if booking thru Jimmy. http://www.pinnaclehotels.com/lumpinee/index.html )

The Tarntawan is a decent hotel, as is the Pinnacle ... neither is a palace by any stretch. Someone above mentioned 4 star as opposed to 3 stars ... that might be right in a subjective sense, but I'd give both 3 stars simply because "3" means 'decent-and-clean-yet-nothing-special' to me.

Overall the Tarntawan is quite a bit more expensive than the Pinnacle across all room categories.
The Tarntawan caters to gay guys who wish to stay directly on top of the Silom/Suriwong meat market action without having to bother to use taxis, tuktuks or skytrains. Gays pay for that dubious luxury in rates 30-100% above that of the Pinnacle ... and for not that much more superior accomodation.

The Pinnacle is not quite so gay oriented (though it has a high enough gay clientele to be relagated to that position in the Thailand gay guide media), and is in an "inconvenient" location ... although only if you're just downright lazy, or sexually unadventurous. The Pinnacle has no pool which is a drag, the Tarntawan does. Breakfasts at both are ~ at best ~ 'forgettable'.

Overall, the Pinnacle is a better value for the money IMHO.

Cheers ...

wowpow
September 12th, 2006, 10:08
Sorry Smiles but the Tartawan does not have a pool. They do have some discount arrangement with one fairly nearby. The Pinnacle does have a tiny plunge pool and a deck and sauna and a fitness room.

I don't know your personal star rating system but as a retired hotelier I am very familiar with the British (original and best) star system. Each star covers a broad band and gets a percentage rating within that range. I see that now they have linked with the Tourist Authorities and have clear definitions of what is required for each star - see all 46 pages on a download from http://www.theaa.com/lifestyle/features ... dards.html (http://www.theaa.com/lifestyle/features/qualitystandards.html)

September 12th, 2006, 11:05
I must agree, the Pinnacle is the best value hotel that I have found in Bangkok. With more than a dozen visits, I have never had any problems with the staff or service. I would recommend it to everyone that is value conscious.

September 12th, 2006, 11:39
1) The Pinnacle Lumpinee - I found the room pleasant, clean and you could actually watch football live on the tv (which makes a change from most hotels I stayed in). On Asia Rooms it is listed as 2 star rating, but I would put it somewhere between 2 and 3 stars. I did see a few backpackers whilst I was there, plus families, plus singles, plus gay guys, plus businessmen. It seems a pretty normal hotel to me and a decent priced superior room. Through my own fault I didn't specify a smoking room or that I wanted a double bed (or larger) so I ended up in non smoking and in a twin room. Its a bit of a trek to the bars but only one stop on the metro or a short taxi/taxi bike ride.

2) Tarntawan - I found the staff extremely pleasant, the room smaller than The Pinnacle, but the fixtures and fittings of superior quality. Asia Rooms rates it as 3 stars and it's actually a little more expensive than The Ramada on the other side of the street, which is 4 stars. I think the 3 star rating is appropriate (maybe 3.5). I found it very pleasant, unimposing, a great place to bring a friend and a great location for easy walking distance to all the bars in the Silom area.

3) Silom Serene - Silom Road, a bit of a walk if you don't know the area. A 'coach party' hotel full of asian tourists and Farang old married couples. I never tested the 'guest policy', but I got the feeling that it would be throwned upon.

4) BBB Inn - Probably the worst of the four hotels I have stayed in. As Catwampuscat states, it is better as a short term hotel (if that is what you want) and is less than 30 seconds walk from the end of Soi Twilight. The rooms are small, the tv has about 6 channels (mostly Thai), the breakfast is standard fare but you pay extra for it and don't be surprised to see cockroaches walking through the dining room/recepetion or indeed joining you in your bed - I invested in bug killer as soon as I saw the room and was grateful I had. I also made the mistake of paying by credit card - don't. The bill not only appears on your card as 'The Boy Bangkok', no great problem, but my last trip bill was charged to my credit card 5 months after the date I stayed there.

September 12th, 2006, 16:40
The Tarntawan is in the thick of it. If 100% cruising is all you are interested in, it's perfect. It's also perfect for first-time visitors who, like beginner swimmers, are afraid to venture away from the tadpole end of the pool.
The staff is helpful & nice. The breakfasts I've had were very good; last times there you got two with a double room (One of the choices was Thai.). If your bed-warmer had to run off to his day job you could have both (Two different ones.) yourself if you wish.
Most of the rooms are big, as are the bathrooms, but there are some smaller, about Pinnacle size, rooms. Some are in the back, sometimes they split a suite. Once I arrived around midnight and all they had was a small room, in the back, on a lower floor, the same price, by the way, as a large front room. Cat(s) screamed all night outside my window. Tired as I was, I'd have had to be stone deaf to sleep. They moved me the next morning after I told them I could not spend two nights in that room & wanted to know, for sure, that they had a front room, in time to find another hotel. I went to Pattaya, came back, again there was no room but another small one in the back on a low floor. We were moved the next day but I hate that (Partially) unpack, repack, unpack business. But I'm glad it happened; it induced me to start trying other hotels. I've never been back to the Tarntawan.

I wouldn't doubt there are some but I have never had a shabby or beat up room at the Pinnacle nor a noisy one. One of the maids (The sweet, chubby one, one of the only two I've ever seen.) told me the problem with towels is, 'people stay late.' I'm not sure if she meant, 'stay in bed late' or those taking advantage of their (Pinnacle) late check-out: If you arrange in advance, you can check out as late as 10:00PM at a cost, I think, of 500 baht, whatever, it was less than half the 'Jimmy' rate, maybe both. Why not buy more towels? Beats the hell out of me--But she always turns up with towels hot from the laundry within an hour of my returning for the afternoon nap. (Nice way to say: 'Matinee.')
Walking to corner of Ngam Du Phli & Rama IV, I've always got a (Meter) cab instantly; 40 - 55 baht will cover the fare to Patpong & a generous--Well, percentage wise--tip. Ask at reception for a Nam Baht (Card) to show the driver when you return. No problem.

Some things always same-same. I've taken several Thai friends to Just One (I think it calls itself.), restaurant; they all like the food too much, like drink beer too much and get too much silly. Maybe the place isn't the greatest but fun counts a lot with me. (Proven fact: Laughter makes food taste better. Just don't choke!) A long-time friend & I often go there. Sometime we pick up another friend of friends--His, mine & ours--on the way. I feel like the pie-eyed piper--Or Ingrid Bergman! (This old man, he played three, he played knick-knack on my...wienie?) with them following me, in a line, on that narrow sidewalk. Other times we go to the Night Market in Lumpini Park. There's only one good restaurant: the one with the Thai puppet show--And it's usually booked--so we sit in the place built around a big tree, drink too much beer, fill up on appetizers\bar food. No problem, we walk it off going back to the hotel. That's when I look for the old lady selling socks & knickers. I ask Chai if he wants some, he looks down his nose and the lip comes out. (No designer.) I wonder, 'What did you do for ting-tong back in Udon Thani, you butch little lorry-driver queen?" but I don't say it.
Back at the ranch...er...Pinnacle, he tries on another water buffalo story. He's the best story teller I've ever met! By now he must be an orphan: He's killed off every relative!...Some, twice: Papa sister, Nong, has met with several gory accidents. Last trip, after beer too much (Too get rid of his natural shyness?), he showed me something on his side that looked like an old cigarette burn. He told me it was where doctor stuck him (Lung biopsy.). Then fell down on the floor and did a Bette Davis. I tried not to laugh but couldn't help myself. (Hell, I always laugh at Dark Victory!) Then he laughed, "Mai Phen Rai!"
It's a game, damn it! I look forward to hearing what he thinks of next! If he didn't; I think there'd be no joy in Bangtown. My feelings would be hurt.

September 12th, 2006, 17:57
Sorry Smiles but the Tartawan does not have a pool. They do have some discount arrangement with one fairly nearby. The Pinnacle does have a tiny plunge pool and a deck and sauna and a fitness room.

Correct, the Tarntawan have an arrangement with Hatch Clarke fitness centre in Thaniya Plaza for guests to have full use of the pool and fitness suite for a daily rate of (I think) 200Baht. If you go there you will need some form of photographic ID before the lobby will allow you into the lifts.

My comments on Pinnacle v Tarntawan are based purely on what friends and colleagues tell me. I have never stayed at the Pinnacle but have visited and did stay at the Tarntawan for a week a couple of years ago whilst my house was being decorated.

For myself and visiting friends the pool does not come in the equation as I own a house here in Bangkok with a pool but I guess for others the pool may be more important. I would also recommend the pool in Lumpini Park, not a massive pool but nice clean and open-air.

September 12th, 2006, 23:30
For myself and visiting friends the pool does not come in the equation as I own a house here in Bangkok with a pool

Well thanks mate,I be over to try it out.

Let me know when you find the house and we will lay on a barbie for you :cheers:

wowpow
September 13th, 2006, 07:19
"I would also recommend the pool in Lumpini Park, not a massive pool but nice clean and open-air." Naughty

For Farangs they still require to see your passport and a recent medical certificate!!!

September 13th, 2006, 13:10
"I would also recommend the pool in Lumpini Park, not a massive pool but nice clean and open-air." Naughty

For Farangs they still require to see your passport and a recent medical certificate!!!

Which I personally think is a good idea.

A. It discourages kiddie molesters.

B. It goes a long way to ensuring that the place does not cater for farangs with some transmittable disease.

I would still reccomend the pool, at a weekend it is a hive of activitiy and great fun.

anakot
September 15th, 2006, 09:33
An email from my friend who arrived in BKK on Tuesday for business 'booked' to stay at Montien. He writes ...

"The cab from airport to hotel was bad. I had to wait for more than 20 mins for the cab and it was only around 20 people. When I got on the cab the driver told me that he had to wait for an hour at the carpark to get in. Obvisouly something wrong and so why they have the new airport. The new one will open soon and maybe when you get here it will be ready.

Got to the hotel, they said I did not have any booking and the hotel was full !!!!! they asked me if I book on the net and I said so and they said they did not know that company. My instant thought was oh no'internet scam'. Luckily I have one print out of the email and show to them which has a link. After 15 mins they found the booking !!!! They then upgrade me to a suite which is fair nice."

When I stayed at the Montien a few years ago my Thai business friend wanted to come to my room with his laptop so I could check my email. Sorry not allowed unless you pay 1000 baht. My Thai friend (the bitch) was chuffed... Needless to say I haven't stayed there again but they don't need me anyway.

So you can say what you like about Pinnacle and Jimmy but at least for the past more than 5 years they have been consistently welcoming to this traveller.

wowpow
September 15th, 2006, 13:45
Tha Management of The Pinnacle have decided to charge joiner's fees again. I'm told that some customers have been charged 500 baht but most get by without a problem. The night staff is usually one young girl on reception and she tends to keep her head down.

THe is a great long splurge of a notice on the reception desk whittering on about rules and extra guests but it does not mention any fees.

Good luck - I checked out.

September 15th, 2006, 14:50
Just some price checks on hotels previously mentioned in and around the Silom area (through Asia Rooms - prices up to 31 October):

Mandarin Hotel 3 star, Rama IV Rd
Asia Rooms = Standard Room 943 baht
Hotel website = Standard Room 2,700 baht (1,700 internet price)
Asia Rooms Guest/Traveller rating = 4 stars

Pinnacle Lumpinee 2 star, Rama IV Rd
Asia Rooms = Standard Room 1004 baht
Hotel website = Standard Room 1,300 internet price

Tower Inn 3 star, Silom Road
Asia Rooms = Executive 'Standard' Room 1705 baht
Hotel website = 'Executive' Standard Room 2,200 internet price
Asia Rooms Guest/Traveller rating = 3 stars

Ramada Tawana 4 star, Surawongse Rd
Asia Rooms = Superior Room 2,355 baht
Hotel website = Superior Room 4,300 internet price
Asia Rooms Guest/Traveller rating = 3 stars

Tarntawan 3 star. Surawongse Rd
Asia Rooms = 'Deluxe' Standard Room 2,408 baht
Hotel website = 'Deluxe' Standard Room 2,500 internet price

Montien 4 star, Surawongse Rd
Asia Rooms = 'Superior' Standard Room 2,639 baht
Hotel website = 'Superior' Standard Room 3,300 internet price

Dusit Thani 5 star, Rama IV Rd
Asia Rooms = 'Superior' Standard Room 5,179 baht
Hotel website = 'Superior' Standard Room 5,040 internet price (plus service charges & tax)
Asia Rooms Guest/Traveller rating = 5 stars

I suppose it all gets down to how much you are willing to pay and what level of comfort you want (hotel facilities, friendliness, extra guest charge and location). I may just check out the Mandarin Hotel next time in Bangkok.

September 15th, 2006, 14:55
The Mandarin has a strictly enforced joiners fee.
Short walk to subway.
Lousy breakfast buffet.
Otherwise good value especially if booked on a discount website.

September 15th, 2006, 15:04
The Mandarin has a strictly enforced joiners fee.
Short walk to subway.
Lousy breakfast buffet.
Otherwise good value especially if booked on a discount website.

Thaiquila, do you know how much the joiner's fee is at The Mandarin? I have seen the hotel when in Bangkok and it is a very short walk to bars, shops and the subway. I don't really care about the breakfast in hotels. Teepee says Pinnacle is re-introducing the joiner's fee (I saw it noted on the in-room info' when I stayed there that there was a charge for extra guests in rooms). Do you know how many hotels have a joiner's fee? It could be useful for anyone here who is figuring out the 'total cost' package of staying in any of the hotels in Bangkok to know which ones have charges and how much. Cheers.

wowpow
September 15th, 2006, 15:23
Mandarin I hear of stories of 500 to 1000 bahr requested

Pinnacle Lumphini 500 baht maybe - the last 3 introductions of a joiner's fee did not 'take'.

Tower Inn - Joiner friendly and advertise in SPICE I think some agencies have lower prices than 1700 nearer 1400?

Ramada Tawana 600 baht and nasty with it.

Tartawan no joiner's fees if you book a double - very gay friendly hotel most peoples favourite

Dusit Thani joiner's fee was 2000 baht now only 1000 baht all Dusit Hotels including their Princess Hotels have to charge Joiner's fees.

Most of the 5 star and top 4 star hotels don't charge joiner's fees. One popular one is the Silom Sofitel c 1300 baht a night.

http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/qui ... e=3&Area=0 (http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/quickselect/1/?Type=3&Area=0) lists many of th gay friendly hotels

September 15th, 2006, 15:26
An adequate hotel right on the subway line is the Bangkok Centre Hotel. Across from the main train station near Chinatown.
Horrible breakfast buffet, rude staff, adequate rooms.
I have seen this for under 800 baht on the discount sites.
Do not book directly.
As far as I can tell, no joiners fees.

September 15th, 2006, 16:37
In all this talk about suitable hotels, can anyone give any info/experience of the Narai Hotel in Silom Road (particularly for gay people).
I was booked to stay there (highly recommended by a str8 business colleague) many years ago but in the end never made it because I had to cancel the trip due to business elsewhere. It would have been my first trip to Thailand and I didn't know then where to stay.

Just curious about the Narai as I have never seen it mentioned on gay forums.

September 15th, 2006, 23:45
Does anyone know if there is a joiners fee at The Swiss Lodge on Convent Road?

September 16th, 2006, 00:14
Does anyone know if there is a joiners fee at The Swiss Lodge on Convent Road?
Would think probably. I stayed there with a Thai bf and they were very pissy.
Nice hotel and rooms though. Good breakfast. To me not worth the money compared to Pinnacle.

September 16th, 2006, 12:57
In all this talk about suitable hotels, can anyone give any info/experience of the Narai Hotel in Silom Road (particularly for gay people).
I was booked to stay there (highly recommended by a str8 business colleague) many years ago but in the end never made it because I had to cancel the trip due to business elsewhere. It would have been my first trip to Thailand and I didn't know then where to stay.

Just curious about the Narai as I have never seen it mentioned on gay forums.

Have stayed there twice before. It's a large hotel and well decorated. The rooms are pleasant, well maintained and the staff very nice. The breakfast is huge, a varied selection that caters for all asian and ferang tastes. Evening buffet style hot and cold dinner is very popular with guests and outsiders - 400 baht but a great selection and eat as much as you want. There are also two other restaurants in the hotel if you don't fancy the buffet plus a nice bar area. A good pool and large gym facilites if you wish. Hotel guests mainly asian, young and old ferang couples and coach parties. I have stayed twice and only ever seen one ferang with a Thai boy at breakfast but a few ferang with Thai girls, so I assume they allow joiners but not sure if they charge. I'd say it's a good value hotel if you get it through a discount website (1500 baht single room on Asia Rooms) but I like trying out different places so probably won't be staying there again.

September 16th, 2006, 17:17
Fatman41
...... but I like trying out different places so probably won't be staying there again.

Thanks VM for the info. Like you I like to try out different hotels - hence the query!

bao-bao
September 17th, 2006, 01:17
I've mentioned this booking site before and think it's worth a mention again. I've had good luck with them my past three trips. Will be in 4 different places this trip that they cover, but they don't handle EVERY hotel, so look carefully.

Jimmy's rates are $3 to $4 dollars less per night, though, and although I've never booked through Jimmy myself I've gotten good feedback about him from friends. If I were staying a week or more I'd certainly try booking with him at his weekly rate myself.

Overall I'm more comfortable booking through an established company myself, and the points I'll accrue with their system will save me about $8 in the long run (you can apply it to a future booking) so for a few nights there it's really almost a wash.

I had to change one reservation this trip, and they waived the $15 cancellation since I was re-booking another place with them.

I guess what I've liked best about Precision is having a live person available in their own chat window to answer questions and book/change/cancel things without having to do it myself, necessarily. They email you a transcript of the chat almost immediately, giving you a legal record if cause ever came up.

Just my two satang's worth.

Oops - here's the link, if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.precisionreservations.com/

September 17th, 2006, 16:28
Jimmy's rates are $3 to $4 dollars less per night[quote:1p1m1f5t]

Try about $13 more per night. Precision charges $43 after taxes for a Superior room and I'm not sure that includes breakfast. It doesn't mention that on their websire. Based on TeePee's chart on page one of this thread, Jimmy charges 940 baht (around $25) per night for a Superior room with breakfast included. Quite a difference if you ask me.

Has anyone been charged a joiner fee since their on again off again policy is apparently back on?[/quote:1p1m1f5t]

wowpow
September 17th, 2006, 16:42
http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/bangk ... pinee.html (http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/bangkok/pinnacle_lumpinee.html)

If one wants to use an internet agency then this one has prices much closer to Jimmy / J.F. Holidays Travel & Trading Ltd.

jimnbkk
November 9th, 2006, 04:03
Aek has opened the new OmYim Lodge now. It's on Naratiwat Road at the Chong Nonsi skytrain (BTS) stop, one stop from Sala Daeng on Silom Road. He reports a good crowd already, and the photos of the place make it look quite elegant. Prices are good too.

http://www.omyimgroup.com/Omyimlodge.html

November 9th, 2006, 07:37
Oh I never have stayed there before. Is it quite close to that famous Niddy's of Pattaya that serve that equally famous and delicious cheese burger, with the sumptuous and juicy patty and crispy real potatoey chippies? Or Monty's with its real mint jelly and finely roasted lamb, pink and tender within?

http://upload4.postimage.org/1601679/niddys_nook1.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1601679/photo_hosting.html)

November 9th, 2006, 15:56
The Swiss Lodge. My information is that there is no Joiners Fee if you book a double room.

bao-bao
November 9th, 2006, 22:46
After having a slight change of plans a few weeks ago I needed to pick a different hotel handled by the reservation company I'd used (to avoid a change fee) so since the Pinnacle was one of them I thought it was worth a try.

http://upload4.postimage.org/1606693/0Pinnacle.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1606693/photo_hosting.html)

I always book a double (two people) room to try and avoid embarrassing visitors, so can't say if there's a problem bringing boys back for the evening or the night. I don't "off" guys myself, and my friends who do come to join me for an evening out dress more like office professionals than street professionals so I can't really say what would happen if I came waltzing in with a spiked hair/torn-and-bleached-jeans kind of guy.

For my writing research I did an extensive amount of interviewing and did use my room for that, but was never challenged when meeting guests in the lobby to take upstairs. For the gogo boys and hustlers I interviewed I sat in a street restaurant or Dick's or somewhere like that to talk. That helped remove the temptation on a couple of levels!

The only place I've ever had a problem with a visitor was at the Regency Park Hotel on Soi 22. Even though I'd paid for a double room they wanted Bt500 for a man to come upstairs with me at 3pm in the afternoon. I asked for the manager and after explaining that the dentist with me wasn't in the business of male hustling he apologized and waived him through, but it was still an embarrassment for my friend who was a bit put off by being asked to leave his ID card. Like I've said here, if it was a 20-year-old that looked like a street hustler I can appreciate their concern, but this was a man in his later 30's who was dressed better than the manager himself. It's just one of many problems I had at the Regency Park this visit. However, I'm derailing my own post, sorry...

As for the Pinnacle itself, I liked the location a lot. Being within a block or three of the Suan Lum night market, Lumpini Park, several internet cafes with high-speed access, a wide variety of street food, a mini Tesco-Lotus and a great "local" neighborhood of side-streets and alleys to explore on morning walks, I was most pleased with the location. You also have the folksy open air Just One restaurant about a five minute stroll away, and, even nicer the Mali Restaurant, where I had several delicious meals, prepared by their Thai and Lao chefs (picture of Just One and a Mali dinner below).

http://upload4.postimage.org/1606710/0JustOne.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1606710/photo_hosting.html)

http://upload4.postimage.org/1606719/MaliMeal.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1606719/photo_hosting.html)

The first room they put me in had some mechanical problems with the water and the safe, so they moved me the second day to a corner room. While the view was nice, the furnishings and overall decor of both of my "Deluxe" rooms were... let's just say "careworn". Everything was nearing the replacement stage, but all of it was clean and well-maintained. Well, except for the slippers - those hadn't been washed for months, it didn't look like. Cloth slipper scuffs that were grey with dirt in both rooms. Yuck. The other thing that bothered me were the windows. I had a magnificent view - windows on two sides of the corner room - but they were so dirty they gave you a headache to look through for very long. INside, as well. I was in non-smoking rooms, but the windows were just tacky with dirt and film. The outsides are probably washed every year or so (whether they need it or not)!

http://upload4.postimage.org/1606734/0PinnacleRoom.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1606734/photo_hosting.html)

The bathrooms were both clean and well-stocked, no signs of black mildew and mold that you see many places, and the towels were relatively new and fluffy. I shower multiple times a day there, and they were always gracious about promptly replacing the wet ones with dry ones the few times I called for them. Everyone I encountered on staff there was more than gracious and polite.

The robes, while clean (and crisply pressed) were made for someone at least 50 pounds lighter than myself, and I'm not that overweight. I guess they were the 48mm and not the 52mm size (wink wink, nudge nudge).

I should say here, though, that most of the time when I'm traveling I don't spend much time in the room, anyway. As long as the bed is comfortable, the room and bathroom are clean and the amenities (TV, aircon, safe, etc.) I've paid for are working, I'm a happy boy.

The breakfast buffet was not only very well stocked with a very good variety of both eastern and western dishes, it was an experience for me to see the "couples" straggling down for breakfast. Past observations here from members about local guys not having much interest in breakfast with their customers from the night before certainly seemed true to me after watching many pairings in the dining room. The sad part of that was the indifference between the two that also seemed common, but that's another story.

So, especially if you're getting a good rate through Jimmy I'd say it's worth a try... just don't expect anything Four Star. The Pinnacle hotel itself (and the dining room, food and staff overall) are Three Star, the rooms a little less than that.

Wesley
November 11th, 2006, 12:43
I must say for the price it is not a bad hotel, its close to Babylon, close to , Pat Pong and generally located well to all the places I enjoyed. A short trip by taxi and every driver knew where it was. I am sure no one could get a room that good anywhere else in the world for such a small fee. You can take a short walk to Babylon baths. So for me if you are in Bangkok it is not a bad place to stay for the money!

Enjoy... Cheers