PDA

View Full Version : Visa runs to be limited to two

wowpow
September 11th, 2006, 07:26
Immigration confirms the end of border runs from October 1, 2006
Thailand tightens visa rules for tourists to cut illegal workers

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will tighten entry regulations for tourists in a bid to crack down on illegal foreign workers, the Immigration Bureau said.

The move, which takes effect October 1, would affect tourists from 41 countries including Australia, the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the US, said Suwat Thamrongsrisakul, the head of the bureau.

Currently, tourists from 41 countries can enter Thailand without visas and stay in the kingdom for up to 30 days.

They can extend their stay by checking out of the country, mainly by crossing the borders of neighboring Cambodia and Laos, and returning with new entry stamps.

'Under the current rules, people from those countries can stay in Thailand as long as they want. Some even stay here for one year,' another bureau official said.

The bureau had learned that a growing number of foreigners from the 41 countries worked illegally in Thailand, Suwat said, adding many were employed in bars and restaurants in the popular seaside resort of Pattaya, east of Bangkok.

'Tourists are taking advantage of the visa exemption law. Instead of sightseeing, they are doing business here,' Suwat said.

From October, tourists from the designated countries can still enter Thailand without visas and stay for up to 30 days, but their entry stamps will be renewable twice at most for a maximum stay of 90 days.

Tourists who stayed for 90 days must leave the kingdom for at least 90 days before being permitted to re-enter Thailand, Suwat said.

--forbes.com 2006-09-10

via www.thaivisa.com (http://www.thaivisa.com)

September 11th, 2006, 08:25
mass panic in places?

September 11th, 2006, 08:36
If I read this right a citizen from one of the 41 approved countries can only enter Thailand
3 times a year visa free.This will make life very difficult for people who have second homes in Thailand and visit monthly.

wowpow
September 11th, 2006, 09:31
It's not that big a deal for many it just means that you have to get, and pay for a proper Visa - which probably costs about the same as multiple Visa Runs. A 12 month Non Immigrant O visa with multiple re-entry costs about ┬г95 from the UK.

Thailand's popularity as a convenient cheap hub for backpackers and others who want to visit many S E Asian countries could be reduced.

I suspect that this is a ruse to make money by making people buy Visas and is ignoring the effects on tourism. Illegal workers will continue to enter Thailand even if they have to buy a Visa first.

September 11th, 2006, 09:45
Boy, did I luck out. I'm planning to start the process for my retirement visa within 4 weeks.

For the past six years, I've come to Thailand every month for two or three weeks at a time. In essence, I call Thailand my home, and have only been away when travelling for work.

Granted, I would not fall under the category of someone who has "extended" their 30-day passport stamp, as I always leave for a week or so before returning to LOS. However, what's the chance of an Immigrations officer sitting in his chair and seeing all my Thailand stamps in my passport, making his own interpretation and saying: "You've been here too much this year. You must wait 90 days before re-entering. Request to enter denied"?

I am 90% retired now, and my travel outside of LOS will be very minimal from now on. I have a training class in HKG either later this month, or early October, and plan to get a tourist visa while in HKG and then convert it to a retirement visa at the Pattaya Immigrations office. Whew. Close timing!

September 11th, 2006, 17:03
what's the chance of an Immigrations officer sitting in his chair and seeing all my Thailand stamps in my passport, making his own interpretation and saying: "You've been here too much this year. You must wait 90 days before re-entering. Request to enter denied"?

The system is computerized, so the officer doesn't have to physically look for stamps in your passport. The system will be programmed to tell the officer immediately whether you are admittable under the new rules or not.

September 11th, 2006, 22:39
Judging purely from his avatar, Tee Pee is over 50, so the new visa rules will not greatly affect him or others like him who qualify for a so-called retirement visa (as long as they have a modest amount of money or income). But for unmarried people under 50, the situation is rather different. There is no long term visa (other than a working visa) such people qualify for except a business visa - which is very costly and onerous to get and maintain (we're talking hundreds of thousands of baht here) unless you actually own a substantial business. I enquired at the immigration department today about the alleged investment visa, and was told there is no such thing. (The Immigration Officer suggested I either become a teacher or get married - not sure which would be worse!) So, as things stand, it would seem that when my current 30 day stamp runs out, I will have to leave Thailand and stay out for 3 months. The only other possible option would be to obtain a tourist visa outside Thailand. But if they're refusing 30 day entry stamps to people who have been in Thailand over 3 months, there's no reason to suppose they'll give them Tourist visas either.

Update: just checked the Thai Ministry of foreign affairs website. You can get a 1 year visa outside Thailand under an investment heading, but the investments concerned must be approved and certified by the Ministry of commerce and must meet a number of other rather complicated conditions. Not just a matter of having 3 million baht in a bank account. I'd rather stay away than invest that amount of money in dodgy enterprises that rely on finding foreign finance to stay afloat.

Dboy
September 12th, 2006, 03:20
Check out the student Visas for foreign language study. Think I'm going to try that route. Only requirement is proof of acceptance to a language program.

I'm really happy not to own property in Thailand now.

Dboy

September 12th, 2006, 03:44
I'd rather stay away than invest that amount of money in dodgy enterprises that rely on finding foreign finance to stay afloat.

Like the typical Thai-farang relationship, you mean.

September 12th, 2006, 10:51
GWM BKK - You may have just made a typo in your post but you cannot convert a Tourist Visa into a Retirement Visa - unless they have changed something quite recently. In order to get your Retirement Visa, you must enter the Kingdom using a non-Immigrant visa and then have it converted.

I don't know what country you are from but two friends of mine applied for 'long term' visas. One, From Hawaii he was given a one year visa and when stamped in at the airport, he was given a full year. My other friend is on the way over this week so will find out what happened to him altho his visa from New York states it is a one year visa. We shall see what he gets when he arrives and I will keep you advised. Both qualify for retirement visa's showing monthly deposits into their US bank accounts which fill the current income qualification test

BTW, have not been able to get onto Thai Visa for the past couple of days - anyone know of any problems there? I am presently in the US so not familiar with what is going on over there except by info passed to me by friends.

September 12th, 2006, 11:19
GWM BKK - You may have just made a typo in your post but you cannot convert a Tourist Visa into a Retirement Visa - unless they have changed something quite recently. In order to get your Retirement Visa, you must enter the Kingdom using a non-Immigrant visa and then have it converted.

I don't know what country you are from but two friends of mine applied for 'long term' visas. One, From Hawaii he was given a one year visa and when stamped in at the airport, he was given a full year. My other friend is on the way over this week so will find out what happened to him altho his visa from New York states it is a one year visa. We shall see what he gets when he arrives and I will keep you advised. Both qualify for retirement visa's showing monthly deposits into their US bank accounts which fill the current income qualification test

BTW, have not been able to get onto Thai Visa for the past couple of days - anyone know of any problems there? I am presently in the US so not familiar with what is going on over there except by info passed to me by friends.
Currently, it is possible and common (at least in Bangkok and Pattaya) to enter Thailand on a tourist visa (not a 30 day stamp) and then first convert that to an O visa in Thailand, and then get a one year extension based on retirement. That makes it a two step process. To make it a one step process, get an O visa outside Thailand. Some places like the DC embassy and LA will not grant an O visa based on desire to retire, they will require you go through the much greater hassle of an O-A visa application (something most people would rather avoid).

September 12th, 2006, 11:29
[edited to add this comment: While I was typing the following, Thaiquila made his post, supporting what I was trying to say]

You may have just made a typo in your post but you cannot convert a Tourist Visa into a Retirement Visa - unless they have changed something quite recently. In order to get your Retirement Visa, you must enter the Kingdom using a non-Immigrant visa and then have it converted.I believe it has change somewhat recently: At the Immigrations office in Thailand, you convert the tourist visa to a long-term visa (I forget the category off the top of my head ... go to ThaiVisa.com for details) and then the retirement endorsement is added. I'm too lazy to look up the exact wording/terminology right now, but that's essentially how it works.

There are actually three options available to me (American):

(1) Get the O-A visa in the USA before entering Thailand. Benefits: funds can stay in USA until the annual visa renewals begin in Thailand, at which point the funds must be transferred to Thailand, the one-year visa is activated by the passport stamp when you enter Thailand -- no need to take further action within Thailand (other than 90-day reports, of course). Disadvantage: More expensive medical exam (possibly over US$100 vs about US$5 in Thailand) and also acquiring a certification of a clean criminal record.

(2) Get a plain O visa with intent to enter Thailand to investigate the option of retiring. No criminal record check, no income/savings verification before entering Thailand. After entering Thailand on the O visa, convert it to a Retirement Visa: no criminal check required, cheaper medical certification, but funds must be transferred to Thailand at that time.

(3) Get a tourist visa, and before the last 21 days of validity go to Immigrations to begin the process I described in the first paragraph. It involves step (2) as explained above.

The O-A visa is available to several nationalities besides USA, but I'm not sure of the list. It's available to British citizens, and I think I read that Australians and Canadians can get one, also. Application for the O-A visa must be made in the country of your citizenship. (I balk at taking a 24-hour trip just to do that. I haven't set foot on American soil in over 2.5 years.)

The tourist visa is cheaper, and easier to acquire at some regional embassies/consulates. e.g. On ThaiVisa.com they say it's very difficult to get an plain O visa, other than for a "marriage visa" in Penang these days. It is well documented, granted via anectodal accounts, that different Thai embassies/consulates interpret and handle visa cases differently. The Hull consulate in Great Britain, for example, is known to be very flexible, easy to work with, and efficient. Various embassies with in the USA have different procedures (different amounts of forms required, some places require notary, others don't, etc). So, as a disclaimer: "Your mileage may vary."

I was originall going to fly down to Penang for a few days to get the Tourist Visa, then when my company was going to send me to HKG, I decided to get either a Tourist or O visa there. Yesterday, I found out my Hong Kong training class has been moved to Hawaii. I just e-mailed the Honorary Consulate in Honolulu to see the procedures there. I might even be able to get an O-A visa yet! <fingers crossed>

September 13th, 2006, 01:27
Judging purely from his avatar, Tee Pee is over 50...

ROTFL. What an incredibly polite boy you are! Try over 60, m'dear...and you'd still be incredibly polite.

September 13th, 2006, 10:42
This has just appeared on Thai Visa.com

a friend of mine just got refused a tourist visa in penang. they gave him a 2 week visa to go back to Thailand and pick up his stuff then get out. he had been using consecutive tourist visas for 5 years.

he said many farangs were in the same situation.

stev

This post has been edited by stevehaigh: Today, 2006-09-13 08:15:18

--------------------

September 13th, 2006, 10:49
You have no idea how happy this news makes me. Maybe the scum will move to Cambodia now.

September 13th, 2006, 10:51

a friend of mine just got refused a tourist visa in penang. they gave him a 2 week visa to go back to Thailand and pick up his stuff then get out. he had been using consecutive tourist visas for 5 years.

stev

--------------------
This is no surprise at all. They are cracking down on serial "tourists". It seems they don't like people under 50 bumming about Thailand, and also suspect them of working illegally. Who's next? Any long term farang in Thailand who feels totally secure now is a fool. We are being scapegoated.

September 13th, 2006, 11:01

stev

--------------------
This is no surprise at all. They are cracking down on serial "tourists". It seems they don't like people under 50 bumming about Thailand, and also suspect them of working illegally. Who's next? Any long term farang in Thailand who feels totally secure now is a fool. We are being scapegoated.

Bullshit. Foreigners who are here legally and validly, with legitimate PR status, or work permits, or retirement visas, etc., have nothing to fear. Serial "tourists" have a LOT to fear, and it's bloody well about time.

September 13th, 2006, 11:12

stev

--------------------

Bullshit. Foreigners who are here legally and validly, with legitimate PR status, or work permits, or retirement visas, etc., have nothing to fear. Serial "tourists" have a LOT to fear, and it's bloody well about time.
Thats something a sanctimonious prig might say.
There is no visa now for people who want to retire in Thailand under age 50, short of a 10 million baht investment visa. (Speak of folly!) All these people are scum, huh? Your time will come. Maybe not from Thai immigration, but YOUR TIME WILL COME.

September 13th, 2006, 11:24
How can someone possibly expect to retire at an age of under 50 years old, without access to funds of at least 10 million baht?

September 13th, 2006, 11:29
How can someone possibly expect to retire at an age of under 50 years old, without access to funds of at least 10 million baht?
Are you really that STUPID?????!!!!!!
The new investment visa involves bringing 10 million baht into Thailand, in risky, low yielding investments.
Have you also noticed it is often very hard to get MONEY OUT of Thailand when you want to do that? Easy in. Hard out.
What smart person would want to do that?
That is 10 million in ADDITION to their other funds of income streams to support them.
Millions of people can afford to retire under 50, and many countries welcome them.
Not Thailand.
Are you a Thai TRT?
Whats your angle?

September 13th, 2006, 11:41
My "angle" is that this country obviously wants my type, but doesn't want yours. Why don't you go to one of the "many" countries that does, then?

September 13th, 2006, 11:45
My "angle" is that this country obviously wants my type, but doesn't want yours. Why don't you go to one of the "many" countries that does, then?
Another stupid comment from you. Why do you assume what my type is just because I defend the victims of Thai immigration's latest crackdown? Is it inconceivable to you that anyone would speak out of anything but self interest?
APPARANTLY NOT.

September 13th, 2006, 11:52
Sounds like you're awfully upset about something, dear, while I'm whistling a happy tune. Goodbye to the noxious ilk that's been filthying Thailand's shores for decades.

September 13th, 2006, 11:55
Sounds like you're awfully upset about something, dear, while I'm whistling a happy tune. Goodbye to the noxious ilk that's been filthying Thailand's shores for decades.
I will bow to your personal expertise on the subject of noxiousness. I ain't your dear, MF.

sjaak327
September 13th, 2006, 13:11

Presuming you are a farang, you could be awfully wrong in this above statement. Time will tell hey..

Aunty
September 13th, 2006, 13:41
Well for better or for worse, I do know that boygeenyus has for some time maintained that those living in Thailand long term on serial 'tourist' visas were doing nothing more than living in a fools paradise or considerable self-delusion. I've also seem him mercilessly ridiculed and mocked for adopting this position and told that he didn't know what he was talking about. Well I think the events of the last few days have certainly vindicated his position without any doubt, and indeed those living in Thailand on tourist visas were just fooling themselves.

So does this mean that that wretched freak of an individual, my personal sawatdee stalker the Aunty obsessed, Colonel Syphilis Klonk, Sandhurst's most embarrassed, will have his sorry loser's arse kicked out of Thailand and onto the trash heap where it belongs? Well thank god Thailand has finally woken up! Aw shucks, Hommer. Doh. I guess your council flat in dullest Wolverhampton awaits you corporal.

September 13th, 2006, 16:55
[quote="Thaiquila"][quote="boygeenyus"]The new investment visa involves bringing 10 million baht into Thailand, in risky, low yielding investments.
Have you also noticed it is often very hard to get MONEY OUT of Thailand when you want to do that? Easy in. Hard out.
That is 10 million in ADDITION to their other funds of income streams to support them.
quote]

This has been on the cards for a couple of years now and there are plenty of Chinese and Japanese that are going to be taking up the new 10m Baht Investment visa without batting an eyelid.

The Thai goverment instructed the Immigration Department three years ago to work on schemes that would reduce the number of serial tourists that do not bring wealth into the Kingdom.

The 'victims' of the new crackdown as you refer to them have only themselves to blame. The tourist visa has never been intended to be used for long-stay and those people doing so were aware of that fact.

Any crackdown that helps to get rid of the 'serial tourists' can only be good for Thailand.

A lot of farangs who have made what they thought was a sound investment in property over the past few years are about to get their fingers badly burnt. With the new visa regulations there are going to be a lot of farangs who are unable to re-enter the country to care for their investment or risking overstay, whereby when they need to go through any official procedure that will shortly be checking their eligibility to be in Thailand may risk deportation and a fine for the overstay or worse put their entire investment at risk.

Now is the time for those people to try and legalise their status rather than in a few months time when the period of grace expries and the Immigration Department starts to enforce in full the new regulations.

September 13th, 2006, 19:24
Anyone who thinks the Thai "intelligensia" welcomes foreigners of any kind is living in a dream world. Most Thais with money who are not involved with tourism actively dislike foreigners of all kinds. Foreigners are tolerated as a source of income while that is needed. The best foreigners are the least visible ones. Although I'm still under 50, I could get around the current restrictions without too much trouble for a couple more years till I qualify for the retirement visa: But the same people who changed the rules on 30 day entry passes could change the rules for retirement visas just as easily. And that is going to happen, one day, maybe soon. Not mass expulsions, but an upping of the income and deposit requirements. A requirement to prove you have comprehensive medical insurance so you don't become a burden on the Thai taxpayer (check out the cost of that if you pass 70, especially if you develop some medical condition as most elderly people eventually do). If you are very well off you may be able to weather such storms, but don't bank on grandfather clauses to keep you off the hook.

In a way, I welcome this reminder that, like every other foreigner, I stay in Thailand on suffrance. I can get out now without too much bother and take my time doing it. I won't end up being dumped on a plane back to my home country because I am old and infirm and can't afford a million baht a year in medical insurance.

Aunty
September 13th, 2006, 19:42
Actually one question I am interested in, for those of you who are expats living in Thailand, what is the general mood among members of the expat community at the moment? What are you guys talking about the most? Is this the issue that's getting everybody going? What has /is the response of the expat community to these visa changes?

September 13th, 2006, 21:54
So does this mean that that wretched freak of an individual, my personal sawatdee stalker the Aunty obsessed, Colonel Syphilis Klonk, Sandhurst's most embarrassed, will have his sorry loser's arse kicked out of Thailand and onto the trash heap where it belongs? Well thank god Thailand has finally woken up! Aw shucks, Hommer. Doh. I guess your council flat in dullest Wolverhampton awaits you corporal.You obviously haven't been paying attention Aunty (I know that living in The Land of the Long White Shroud does have that effect of rotting the brain). I've stated very clearly whenever boygeenyus has pronounced on the virtues of spending a small fortune in order to gain permanent residence that I consider that to be as much a fools' paradise as any other form of legal status by a Westerner in Thailand. Moreover I've gone on the record as stating that since my business often takes me out of Thailand I have never bothered to make myself "legal" in any way, shape or form - and that will continue. I'm in and out often enough to be a "visa runner". However I do have an advantage over most people (the details of which I have no intention of broadcasting) which will mean that my trips in and out of Thailand will continue as is mentioned in the Epistle of James, Chapter 1, verses 17-18
... there is no alteration or shadow caused by changeand Wolverhampton will just have to wait. At least it's not Auckland

September 13th, 2006, 23:10
The new investment visa involves bringing 10 million baht into Thailand, in risky, low yielding investments.
quote]

This has been on the cards for a couple of years now and there are plenty of Chinese and Japanese that are going to be taking up the new 10m Baht Investment visa without batting an eyelid.

The Thai government instructed the Immigration Department three years ago to work on schemes that would reduce the number of serial tourists that do not bring wealth into the Kingdom.

The 'victims' of the new crackdown as you refer to them have only themselves to blame. The tourist visa has never been intended to be used for long-stay and those people doing so were aware of that fact.

Any crackdown that helps to get rid of the 'serial tourists' can only be good for Thailand.

A lot of farangs who have made what they thought was a sound investment in property over the past few years are about to get their fingers badly burnt. With the new visa regulations there are going to be a lot of farangs who are unable to re-enter the country to care for their investment or risking overstay, whereby when they need to go through any official procedure that will shortly be checking their eligibility to be in Thailand may risk deportation and a fine for the overstay or worse put their entire investment at risk.

Now is the time for those people to try and legalise their status rather than in a few months time when the period of grace expries and the Immigration Department starts to enforce in full the new regulations.
Yes, you are correct. Alot of people are going to get hurt.
But the idiotic part of your tirade is the assertion that everyone who would like to get a "proper" visa CAN get a proper visa.
I am mostly talking about legitimate early retirees under 50. And pray tell what exactly is wrong with serial tourists who are real tourists, in other words, they just spend their money in Thailand and do not work in Thailand? Surely, Thailand welcomes tourists spending money, yes? I find it disgusting when farangs take the side of xenophobic Thais. Kind of like a form of Stockholm syndrome.

September 13th, 2006, 23:16
Anyone who thinks the Thai "intelligensia" welcomes foreigners of any kind is living in a dream world. Most Thais with money who are not involved with tourism actively dislike foreigners of all kinds. Foreigners are tolerated as a source of income while that is needed. The best foreigners are the least visible ones. Although I'm still under 50, I could get around the current restrictions without too much trouble for a couple more years till I qualify for the retirement visa: But the same people who changed the rules on 30 day entry passes could change the rules for retirement visas just as easily. And that is going to happen, one day, maybe soon. Not mass expulsions, but an upping of the income and deposit requirements. A requirement to prove you have comprehensive medical insurance so you don't become a burden on the Thai taxpayer (check out the cost of that if you pass 70, especially if you develop some medical condition as most elderly people eventually do). If you are very well off you may be able to weather such storms, but don't bank on grandfather clauses to keep you off the hook.

In a way, I welcome this reminder that, like every other foreigner, I stay in Thailand on suffrance. I can get out now without too much bother and take my time doing it. I won't end up being dumped on a plane back to my home country because I am old and infirm and can't afford a million baht a year in medical insurance.
Yes! I agree. We are all vulnerable to these changes. That is why I find the glee many farangs take on the current crackdown (as long as it doesn't target them .... YET) to be DESPICABLE.

September 13th, 2006, 23:22
Xenophobic Thais? Right. Why don't you tell us how easy it is for a THAI person to visit YOUR country just ONCE as a legitimate tourist? Much less stay there for decades simply by sticking a foot over the border every couple of months.

YOUR problem is that you think that the great white god-man should be welcomed with open arms wherever in the world he likes, for as long as he likes. Forget the fact that brown, black, and yellow people the world over can barely get tourist visas to visit the West.

You are a typical self-centered, selfish, thoughtless colonialist asshole.

September 13th, 2006, 23:27
Xenophobic Thais? Right. Why don't you tell us how easy it is for a THAI person to visit YOUR country just ONCE as a legitimate tourist? Much less stay there for decades simply by sticking a foot over the border every couple of months.

YOUR problem is that you think that the great white god-man should be welcomed with open arms wherever in the world he likes, for as long as he likes. Forget the fact that brown, black, and yellow people the world over can barely get tourist visas to visit the West.

BS.
Thais don't get in because a huge percentage overstay and work illegally, and so many coming are whores.
We are talking over half.
Do half of Americans who come to Thailand overstay? Hardly. And doing visa runs has been perfectly legal and possible until now, so that doesn't count.
The Thais that DO get in become Americans within years. They have FULL 100 percent legal rights as Americans.
The west isn't the third world, dear.
The apt comparisons are Thailand to

Philippines
Mexico
Ecuador
Malaysia

And yes, Thailand is an intensely xenophobic racist country. Part of its charm that makes it so different. Yes, there is a dark side. You are a great example of the dark side, a farang who has become an anti farang xenophobic Thai in the brain!
If you aren't a farang, my error.

September 13th, 2006, 23:40
I'm only "xenophobic" against farangs who take advantage of the system to stay on in Thailand indefinitely -- mostly for the sole reason of cheap sex -- yet continue to think they somehow have a continued right to be here because they might buy a couple fried rices a day. The John Mark Karrs of the world, and worse. I am grateful that life will soon become more difficult for these hangers-on and bottom feeders, and that they will hopefully be seeking greener pastures in places like Ecuador and the Philippines.

As for Thailand, almost any Westerner who chooses to do so can live here fruitfully and legally, pursue Permanent Residence, and even become a Thai citizen should he or she so wish. The process is shockingly simple -- and, unlike you, I know so from having done it myself rather than simply listening to loser "expat" barstool gossip.

September 13th, 2006, 23:42
Yes, boss. Whatever you say.
I have a tip for you. Lots of the folks on so called proper visas are bigger crims than the visa runners.

sjaak327
September 14th, 2006, 00:28

Right, surprisingly easy actually. I have told in another post how quick and seemless I got a three month tourist visa for my Lao boyfriend into Schengen. I also know several Thai people who got in quite easily. You know what the best part is, once he knows the language, all he has to do is pass a little exam and he's in on a provisional stay. This provisional stay is easily converted to a right to stay, enabling him to work, own land and property, and doesn't require him to leave the country. Now try that as a foreigner in Thailand... (even if you have a Thai partner).

September 14th, 2006, 00:43

Right, surprisingly easy actually. I have told in another post how quick and seemless I got a three month tourist visa for my Lao boyfriend into Schengen. I also know several Thai people who got in quite easily. You know what the best part is, once he knows the language, all he has to do is pass a little exam and he's in on a provisional stay. This provisional stay is easily converted to a right to stay, enabling him to work, own land and property, and doesn't require him to leave the country. Now try that as a foreigner in Thailand... (even if you have a Thai partner).

How many farang expats do you know who could "pass a little exam" in Thai? If they made that a requirement, 99% of the round-eyed white god-men slacking off here would be on the next plane home.

sjaak327
September 14th, 2006, 00:45
Oh for the record, I have no problem whatsoever that the immigration department is limiting the exempt stamps to three entries in 180 days. Of course it will be a disaster for some people. But of course these people haven't done their homework, or have taking risks I would never take. Go figure, people have bought property on visa stamps. Now I cannot believe that someone would do such a thing.

I myself are quite happy back in Europe and I would never even consider living in Thailand. Sure I like the food, I especially like the weather, and I just love Bangkok. But in all fairness, there is no way for me to make the same amount of money I make currently. And no matter how you look at it, as a farang you would never really be part of Thai society. Even if you speak the language, you still remain a farang. And some regulations are clearly intended to make sure you will never really be part of Thai society. Of course this is largly my own perception, but I'm sure I'm not far off.

Let's wait and see if they are actually going to enforce this exempt stamp limitation, because clearly normal tourists are going to be influenced by this as well. No more unlimited border hopping between Laos, Cambodia and Thailand, because you get only three entries within 90 days. Before you know it airlines are going to require everyone to get tourists visa, because with this new regulation, that seems the ony sure way to gain access.

sjaak327
September 14th, 2006, 00:51
How many farang expats do you know who could "pass a little exam" in Thai? If they made that a requirement, 99% of the round-eyed white god-men slacking off here would be on the next plane home.

I know a few. And rest assured I would make it my case to pass that exam too. How could I ever be part of a society without speaking the language.
But you are right, a fairly high percentage of expats would not pass that exam. Which is just as amazing as their failure to get a proper visa. Or in lack of getting that proper visa, at least realize and aknowledge that you are in Thailand on the whim of the current government, and that it could be over any second. Which seems to be the case now.

Again I do have some sympathy for these people nevertheless.

September 14th, 2006, 09:19
... I'm on the record as saying "Why bother?" I'm never, ever going to have to deal with Thais at the same intellectual level as myself, in Thai. They all speak English. (I'm very much aware that boygeenyus' intellectual equals only speak Thai :bounce: ). I know enough Thai to deal with the local shopkeepers. Dboy, in the Global Forum no less, suggested that speaking Thai and generally assimilating is the "least" people should do, and I guess boygeenyus is of the same view. However, even in Texas it's not mandatory for all those illegal Mexicans to learn English (and many don't). Learning the local language is a vastly over-rated experience, and writing it even more so. As for boygeenyus' outrage about the ease of Thais to get visas elsewhere - it has nothing to do with the colour of their skin and everything to do with the colour of their money. Unless a foreigner is gaining income from activities conducted in Thailand, then he's bringing money into Thailand in order to live - and support his boyfriend. The Thais feel they don't need this foreign exchange stream. That's their choice

Equally Thais (and others) who want to be visitors in a foreign country generally have to show they have means of support (and a reason to go) back home. The fact is most Thais can't demonstrate that, which is why they are refused visas. Let's not forget the example the Thais gave when a Western country did give them visa-free travel. The entire sex industry was taken over by the Thais who flooded the country, abusing their visa-free status. That country (or since it's is Aunty's own beloved homeland, cuntry) is New Zealand, who admitted after several years of trying to fix the problem while allowing the Thais visa-free entry that the whole experiment was a failure, and canned the scheme. Other countries watched and learned. I don't suggest for a moment that boygeenyus' indignation is simulated, merely born of total ignorance (a boygeenyus speciality)

September 14th, 2006, 09:36
Let's not forget the example the Thais gave when a Western country did give them visa-free travel. The entire sex industry was taken over by the Thais who flooded the country, abusing their visa-free status. That country (or since it's is Aunty's own beloved homeland, cuntry) is New Zealand, who admitted after several years of trying to fix the problem while allowing the Thais visa-free entry that the whole experiment was a failure, and canned the scheme.

An exact parallel to Thailand's situation, don't you think? They allowed visa-free travel, even to the extent that one could renew one's status by simply stepping over the border and coming back. And the thanks they got for being so lenient? Thousands of foreign criminals, slackers, neer-do-wells, and general losers abusing the system to stay...and stay...and stay...many (most?) working illegally. Just as the Thais did in New Zealand.

I applaud both NZ and Thailand for doing something about it.

Aunty
September 14th, 2006, 12:33
I'm never, ever going to have to deal with Thais at the same intellectual level as myself, in Thai.

LOL. You flatter yourself far far to much Corporal Klonk. Believe you me you are no intellectual in spite of your pretensions otherwise.

Let's not forget the example the Thais gave when a Western country did give them visa-free travel. The entire sex industry was taken over by the Thais who flooded the country, abusing their visa-free status.

This is why you are no intellectual, Syphilis. Your laziness mixed with your black and white convictions causes you to endlessly advance statements that are ignorant, factually incorrect - and to use a word that you can understand - amount to little more than a pile of bullshit. No wonder they say that military intelligence is a contradiction in terms. You are its prime example!

September 14th, 2006, 13:57
I have tried reading the entire thread and am now totally confused. Some people are talking about 'Tourist Visas' and some talking about 30 day entry stamps in passports and border runs every 30 days and some talking about these things being the same thing, which they are obviously not. I am (possibly/likely/hopefully) going to come back to Thailand in the next month or so and will likely get a Tourist Visa (60 day visa) although I won't stay that long. I haven't been out of the country for more than 90 days and have spent considerable time (several months) there in the last year. Am I going to find the guy at immigration, looking at me and telling me to go home?

ps. I don't need certain members of this forum to tell me to 'go home', but advice on what can be expected would be useful. Thanks.

September 14th, 2006, 14:04
Your laziness mixed with your black and white convictions causes you to endlessly advance statements that are ignorant, factually incorrectProof? Evidence? Needless to say I can produce NZ government-documented evidence for my assertions; the following is one of many (this one from the NZ Human Rights Commission) - http://www.hrc.co.nz/index.php?p=441

Statements about intellectual ability coming from someone who is a closet Australian and whose life's work is Nuclear Physics for the Under Fives ( http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... .php?e=266 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/weblog_entry.php?e=266) ) demonstrate that the gene pool was somewhat shallow when Aunty was a gleam in someone's eye

I must say that teasing Aunty is almost as rewarding as teasing Hedda once was. The reaction is also the same - even though frothing at the mouth and imagination-free name-calling were the predictable response. Now I wonder - how often does Aunty get his back waxed? And then there's the mysterious death of Monica - http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... .php?e=259 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/weblog_entry.php?e=259)

sjaak327
September 14th, 2006, 14:31
I have tried reading the entire thread and am now totally confused. Some people are talking about 'Tourist Visas' and some talking about 30 day entry stamps in passports and border runs every 30 days and some talking about these things being the same thing, which they are obviously not. I am (possibly/likely/hopefully) going to come back to Thailand in the next month or so and will likely get a Tourist Visa (60 day visa) although I won't stay that long. I haven't been out of the country for more than 90 days and have spent considerable time (several months) there in the last year. Am I going to find the guy at immigration, looking at me and telling me to go home?

ps. I don't need certain members of this forum to tell me to 'go home', but advice on what can be expected would be useful. Thanks.

Right, the limitation is on exempt stamps and Visa on arrival, as far as I know now, when you are on the 41 country visa exempt list (which is basically a free stamp) you can only get 3 in 180 days, good for 90 days in the country. Same for Visa on Arrival (20 countries), but of course only for 45 days. After the three stamps, you are not getting a 4th. A way around this, is to get a single entry tourist visa (good for 60 days) which you can extend for another month.

After this in theory, you should get three more freeby stamps again (visa exempt). Now the lastest news is that starting october 1st, everyone will start with a clean slate (meaning 0 stamps).

Of course this all has to be officially confirmed, which hasn't happened yet. There is a meeting on the 15th, after this meeting there might be an official confirmation, with the specific measures made clear.

The catch of course is, will they actually give you a tourist visa, after you have already did 3 visa runs.

Now in your case, If the clean slate is true, you will just get a new exempt stamp, but maybe to be 100% sure, just get a tourist visa, then you have 100% certainty of being admitted.

Up2U
September 14th, 2006, 14:31

You should have no problem. You will have your 60 day Tourist Visa in your passport on arrival. You are following the rules.

Aunty
September 14th, 2006, 16:54
Your laziness mixed with your black and white convictions causes you to endlessly advance statements that are ignorant, factually incorrectProof? Evidence? Needless to say I can produce NZ government-documented evidence for my assertions; the following is one of many (this one from the NZ Human Rights Commission) - http://www.hrc.co.nz/index.php?p=441

The New Zealand Human Rights Commission bwhahahahahahahahahahaha, you ignoramus. Perhaps in future you'll try and stick to things you know at least something about. Readers of this board want to read informed educated comments about New Zealand, not your desperate attempts to conjure up tripe to back up your ignorant "I'm an expert know-it-all bullshit. You know nothing mate. You're a fool and a loser, and a legend in your own mind. Now have the last word my little stalker, won't you! Bwhahahahahahahahaha. You plonker. I'll play with you when I want to mate, and when I don't, I'll put you on ignore. But either way what goes on between us here is, and has been, done on my terms, not yours.

PS because you're either too lazy or too incompetent to do so, I'll post a more informative and accurate link myself that explains why the visa free program was suspended. You can't beat it when it comes out of the horse's (the Immigration Minister's) mouth.

www.nzherald.co.nz/search/story.cfm?storyid=F25CE7D4-39D9-11DA-8E1B-A5B353C55561 (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/search/story.cfm?storyid=F25CE7D4-39D9-11DA-8E1B-A5B353C55561)

September 14th, 2006, 17:15
The level of puerile abuse shown by the previous poster is the main reason why I rarely bother with this Forum. What's so wrong with the New Zealand Human Rights Commission that it becomes an unreliable source of information?

Aunty
September 14th, 2006, 17:27
The level of puerile abuse shown by the previous poster is the main reason why I rarely bother with this Forum. What's so wrong with the New Zealand Human Rights Commission that it becomes an unreliable source of information?

Well don't come here at all then.

September 14th, 2006, 17:55
... that Aunty's Australian colours are now clearly revealed (and also noting Aunty's acceptance of the view that her rants represent puerile abuse), I should point out for the benefit of the one or two people who haven't realised it that once again boygeenyus has completely missed my point (or possibly ignored it as it doesn't fit in with his prejudices), which had to do with the granting of visas for Thais by Western countries being colour-blind to skin but not to money

In fact I'm a firm believer in the movement of people, goods, services and capital, completely free of all restraints except that of seeking "special treatment", whether it's tariffs, subsidies or welfare payments in the destination country. Any nation that wants to cut itself off from such opportunities (as Thailand clearly does) will pay the price in economic backwardness. However the Thais (and boygeenyus) value chauvinism above all else

Thailand is already on the downward spiral of low-end tourism - high numbers but low value - and making its main airport (and gateway to Thailand) passenger-unfriendly (as they have) will mean that the only people who want to come here are those on package tours whose bus will meet them in the special tour bus area of the airport and drop them there at the end of the tour. High-value tourists from Europe and America simply won't bother

September 14th, 2006, 20:38
[Yes, you are correct. Alot of people are going to get hurt.
But the idiotic part of your tirade is the assertion that everyone who would like to get a "proper" visa CAN get a proper visa.
I am mostly talking about legitimate early retirees under 50. And pray tell what exactly is wrong with serial tourists who are real tourists, in other words, they just spend their money in Thailand and do not work in Thailand? Surely, Thailand welcomes tourists spending money, yes? I find it disgusting when farangs take the side of xenophobic Thais. Kind of like a form of Stockholm syndrome.

As you say, I am correct, I would not have posted if I had any doubts.

Firstly I did not say that 'everyone can get a proper visa' I said that people should try to legalise their position. If they are entitled to a visa it will be granted, otherwise they will be in the country illegally and the consequences of that are obvious. Maybe if you read the post and then tried to understand it you would not make such a fool of yourself.

Whether you find it disgusting or not that I support the idea is of no concern to me. I can do no better than refer you to BG's post pointing out that what Thailand is proposing is exactly what many other countries already do, they restrict 'tourists' from certain countries to very limited stays. They do not want or need the dross of society living and working illegally in the country. For genuine tourists and business people the visa regulations will not prove a hinderance in visiting the Kingdom

You do not seem to understand that Thailand does not want 'serial tourists'. The scam of buying some property under the guise of an investment opportunity is shortly going to blow up in a lot of peoples faces. What you are seeing now is only the start of a very selective visa granting process.

You write 'I find it disgusting when farangs take the side of xenophobic Thais Those few words display the total ignorance that you have on the subject of how Farangs are viewed by Thais. If you had lived and worked here on a permanent basis for more than 34 years as I have you would have some real feeling of how Thais truly feels about the subject. Carry on investing in property if you wish but be warned your investment will be worth very little, if that, in the next few years.

Thailand is gradually waking up to the fact that they do not need ( or indeed want) the type of serial tourist that the visa crackdown is being aimed at. Speak to the real Thai people- not your usual bar-boy contacts who will tell you what you want to hear -and you will soon find out how the majority of Thais really feel. Why do you feel, apart from your obvious air of superiorty, that you have the right to be treated differently when your own (and many other) country impose far more stringent visa regulations that Thailand is now proposing to do?

September 14th, 2006, 22:56
Your post is ridiculous.
There is NO PARITY between treatment of farangs in Thailand and Thais in the west.
We are ONLY talking about Thai policies.
Thailand government policies ARE xenophobic. Just look at the land buying restrictions. Thais in the west do not face that.
Tourism is a big part of the Thai economy. I still don't see the logic in harassing long term tourists who are spending money in Thailand. I understand the crackdown on illegal workers. But look how hard it is for English teachers who want to get work permits to get work permits. Their schools need to apply for them, and the mostly DON'T! This law effectively criminilizes most English teachers.
If for some insane reason, Thailand does not want long term tourists, yes, of course, they have a right to change the rules. I think it stinks and is irrational, but they have the right.

Brad the Impala
September 14th, 2006, 23:19
Hear Hear Naughty. This absurd throwing around of "xenophobia" by paternalist white racists.

Xenophobia is hatred or fear of foreigners. None of that is on display here. Thais in general simply feel superior to other nationalities, whether they are Cambodian or German or American. But there is nothing unusual in this! British people, in general, think that they are superior to other nationalities, as do Yanks, Chinks, Frogs and Spics. It's human nature. The very names that we give other nationalities underline our assumed superiority.

September 14th, 2006, 23:45
Your post is ridiculous.
There is NO PARITY between treatment of farangs in Thailand and Thais in the west.
We are ONLY talking about Thai policies.
Thailand government policies ARE xenophobic. Just look at the land buying restrictions. Thais in the west do not face that.
Tourism is a big part of the Thai economy. I still don't see the logic in harassing long term tourists who are spending money in Thailand. I understand the crackdown on illegal workers. But look how hard it is for English teachers who want to get work permits to get work permits. Their schools need to apply for them, and the mostly DON'T! This law effectively criminilizes most English teachers.
If for some insane reason, Thailand does not want long term tourists, yes, of course, they have a right to change the rules. I think it stinks and is irrational, but they have the right.

Exactly, they have the right.

If you don't like it you do not have to visit Thailand at all do you?

When will people of your ilk stop trying to rule the world simply because a nations policy does not fit in with their own plans for a cosy life.

Long term tourists tend to spend very little money in Thailand. The type of person your are referring to are the early retired or post retired group who eke out their savings/pensions untill they slip this mortal coil. Read some of the forums and read the complaints about them having to pay a few extra Baht for a service and you will realise these people are not the big spenders that you imply.

As you mention schools, I know teachers of English working here who do not have permits, I suspect that the schools employing many of them pay them a much lower wage than they would a teacher with a permit because they are crap teachers. The fact is that these people choose to work on the black economy because they are not fully qualified so do little infact to enhance the education of Thai students.

Maybe when the visa rules are in full swing we will see a better quality of Farang teacher because they will have to prove their ability before being granted a visa and that can only be good for the future of Thailand's education system.

I have young Thais working in my office who have been taught by farang teachers and the Thais now realise, having had the opportunity to participate in English lessons that our company provides, that the standard of teaching they received was abysmal.

Farangs have had a soft ride and taken advantage of the Thais for far to many years and the government are now going about reversing that position, anyone who does not like that has only to visit their local travel agent for alternative destinations.

September 15th, 2006, 04:44
I think the Thais are taking advantage of the farang English teachers. Many of them are well qualified, with degress, and TEFL training. They generally pay quite low compared to countries like Korea and make it very hard to be legal. If you think the standard of English teaching is low now, just wait until these new draconian policies are enforced and over half the English teachers in Thailand are kicked out. You are a total fool if you think magically all of the schools are going to pay decently.

How many of us have met Thai English teachers who cannot speak English? I know I have. Thailand needs farang English teachers and it has now criminalized them. SHAME on the Thai officials for this folly!

September 15th, 2006, 05:00
Hear Hear Naughty. This absurd throwing around of "xenophobia" by paternalist white racists.

Xenophobia is hatred or fear of foreigners. None of that is on display here. Thais in general simply feel superior to other nationalities, whether they are Cambodian or German or American. But there is nothing unusual in this! British people, in general, think that they are superior to other nationalities, as do Yanks, Chinks, Frogs and Spics. It's human nature. The very names that we give other nationalities underline our assumed superiority.
Nope. The restrictions on foreign land ownership is classic xenophobia. Fits under the word FEAR. Fear that foreign money will hurt Thais.

September 15th, 2006, 05:11
Thailand is gradually waking up to the fact that they do not need ( or indeed want) the type of serial tourist that the visa crackdown is being aimed at. Speak to the real Thai people- not your usual bar-boy contacts who will tell you what you want to hear...

Maybe. But don't for one minute think that bar-boys, Boy Specials, tertiary student $boyfriends$ and long-term $live-ins$ want you either. The only thing foreign they want (or indeed, need) are SWIFT and Western Union.

September 15th, 2006, 05:50
Here's the English version of the "edict' concerning the changes to 30-day Tourist Visa Exemption usage from thaivisa.com ( http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php ... 83253&st=0 (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83253&st=0) )

Royal Thai Police
Order No. 608 / 2549
Subject: An authorization for permission to foreigners that are exempted from the Visa requirements to stay temporarily in the Kingdom of Thailand.
----------------------------------

As the Interior Ministerial Regulation has stipulated the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the verification, exception and the changes in the Visa requirements B.E. 2545 (2002) dated on 16th August B.E. 2545 (2002) and the Ministerial Regulation (Volume 2) B.E. 2546 (2003) dated on 28th March B.E. 2546 (2003) prescribed the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the exception in the Visa requirements pursuant to the Article 12 (1) of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

For supporting the approval permission to the foreign nationals who are exempted from Visa requirements when entering to temporarily stay in the Kingdom of Thailand to be in order pursuant to the intention of the Thai Government, under the virtue of the Article 35 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) and the Article 11 (4) of Royal Thai Police Act B.E. 2547 (2004), the authorized Immigration Officer shall be lawfully appointed and authorized to permit the foreign nationals who get the exemption of Visa requirements for entering to temporarily stay in the Kingdom of Thailand in accordance with the following types of exemption:

1. Passport holder of the country that has made an agreement with the Thai government, according to the Interior Ministerial Regulation which stipulated the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the verification, exception and the changes in the Visa requirements B.E. 2545 (2002) dated on 16th August B.E. 2545 (2002), Article 13 (1), shall be permitted to have the right to stay in Thailand according to the period which is mutually agreed between the government of Thailand and the government of the passport holder.

2. Passport holder from the country which has no Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate located in that country as the Minister of the Interior has stipulated under the consent of the Cabinet, according to the Interior Ministerial Regulation which stipulated the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the verification, exception and the changes in the visa requirements B.E. 2545 (2002) dated on 16th August B.E. 2545 (2002), Article 13 (2), shall be permitted to stay in Thailand not exceeding to 30 days from the arrival date.

3. According the Article 13 (3) of the Ministerial Regulation which stipulated the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the verification, exception and the changes in the visa requirements B.E. 2545 (2002) dated on 16th August B.E. 2545 (2002), within six months period, the holder of passport or substitutive documents which issued by any country that is approved by the Minister of the Interior, under the approval of the Cabinet, to enter to temporarily stay in Thailand for tourism purpose, shall be permitted to enter Thailand several times. Each permitted time shall not be exceeding 30 days period, and the total period shall not be exceeding 90 days from the first day that the passport holder arrived in Thailand.

4. According the Article 13 (4) of the Ministerial Regulation which stipulated the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the verification, exception and the changes in the visa requirements B.E. 2545 (2002) dated on 16th August B.E. 2545 (2002), the holder of passport or other substitutive documents who enter to temporarily stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for the conference or the international sport contest shall be permitted to stay in the Kingdom not more than 30 days from the day arrived in the Kingdom of Thailand.

5. According the Article 13 (5) of the Ministerial Regulation which stipulated the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the verification, exception and the changes in the visa requirements B.E. 2545 (2002) dated on 16th August B.E. 2545 (2002), the holder of passport or other substitutive documents of the country that is the member of Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) and holds the APEC businessman passport who enters to temporarily stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for business purpose shall be permitted to stay in the Kingdom not more than 90 days from the day arrived in the Kingdom of Thailand.

6. This Order shall be supersede to all other rules, regulations and orders that are conflicted with this Order.

This Order shall be in full force commencing from this 1st day of October 2006

Order dated on 8th September 2006

Signed Signature

(Police General ---------)

Royal Thai Police Commandant

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 15th, 2006, 05:59
http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2n ... ewpro.html (http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/newpro.html)

Apparently this is the official brochure that the Immigrations checkpoints will have on hand to explain the "new & improved" policy.

Current debate on thaivisa.com seems to be whether each entry on a 30-day stamp counts as 30 days whether you stay that long or not. Say you enter on October 10 and leave on October 11. Some people say precedent has been set that Immigrations will count that as 30 days against your maximum of 90 days. Others say that these English translations don't support that and it would count as 2 days. And, there is discussion on the accuracy of the translations from the original, official, Thai document.

Others are pointing out the fourth panel of the brochure:

"Decentralization

The priciple of Decentalization is applied to all processes

Immigration officers at operational level will be more authorized to make the decision making.

The shorter chain of command, the faster performance."

and saying interpretation and application of Immigrations policies might vary from check-point to check-point and from officer to officer. Not that this is anything new, perhaps, but it really empowers the individual officers.

Bottom line: Who knows how this will ultimately play out?

wowpow
September 15th, 2006, 06:37
PHUKET: -- The Royal Thai Consulate in neighboring Penang, Malaysia, has stopped issuing double-entry tourist visas for Thailand. The only tourist visa currently available there is a 60-day single-entry one.

An official at the consulate this afternoon told the Gazette that Consul Pramote Pramoonsab had issued an order to cease issuance of double-entry tourist visas. Other visa categories are unaffected by the order, the official added.

The Royal Thai Consulate in Kota Bharu and the Royal Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur are, for the time being, still issuing double-entry tourist visas. Fareeda Chewae of the Royal Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur warned that this may change in the near future, however.

The Gazette contacted the consulates following the news that from October 1 Thai Immigration will limit to three the number of visas on arrival it s officers will issue at Immigration checkpoints in Thailand. To cope with the new policy, many long-stay тАЬtouristsтАЭ who currently do тАШvisa runsтАЩ every month are looking for alternative ways to spend more than three months with their families or friends in Thailand. As a possible short term solution to the problem, some foreigners had been contemplating short trips to Penang where they would obtain multiple-entry tourist visas that would not go against their limit of three visas тАЬon arrival [in Thailand]тАЭ.

The chiefs of all Immigration offices will meet in Bangkok tomorrow to discuss the details of the new Immigration policy, after which they will make a much-awaited statement.
While intended as a crackdown measure on foreigners working illegally in the county, the policy has created widespread concern across broad segments of the foreign community in Phuket, particularly among the large numbers who do not work and have no interest in working.

Perceived correctly or incorrectly as a move to discourage foreigners from spending much time here, the new policy has alarmed local residents, both Thai and foreign, about the future of ThailandтАЩs all-important tourism and property development industries.

--Phuket Gazette 2006-09-14 visa www.thaivisa.com (http://www.thaivisa.com)

wowpow
September 15th, 2006, 07:00
Royal Thai Police
Order No. 608 / 2549
Subject: An authorization for permission to foreigners that are exempted from the Visa requirements to stay temporarily in the Kingdom of Thailand.
----------------------------------

As the Interior Ministerial Regulation has stipulated the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the verification, exception and the changes in the Visa requirements B.E. 2545 (2002) dated on 16th August B.E. 2545 (2002) and the Ministerial Regulation (Volume 2) B.E. 2546 (2003) dated on 28th March B.E. 2546 (2003) prescribed the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the exception in the Visa requirements pursuant to the Article 12 (1) of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

For supporting the approval permission to the foreign nationals who are exempted from Visa requirements when entering to temporarily stay in the Kingdom of Thailand to be in order pursuant to the intention of the Thai Government, under the virtue of the Article 35 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) and the Article 11 (4) of Royal Thai Police Act B.E. 2547 (2004), the authorized Immigration Officer shall be lawfully appointed and authorized to permit the foreign nationals who get the exemption of Visa requirements for entering to temporarily stay in the Kingdom of Thailand in accordance with the following types of exemption:

1. Passport holder of the country that has made an agreement with the Thai government, according to the Interior Ministerial Regulation which stipulated the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the verification, exception and the changes in the Visa requirements B.E. 2545 (2002) dated on 16th August B.E. 2545 (2002), Article 13 (1), shall be permitted to have the right to stay in Thailand according to the period which is mutually agreed between the government of Thailand and the government of the passport holder.

2. Passport holder from the country which has no Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate located in that country as the Minister of the Interior has stipulated under the consent of the Cabinet, according to the Interior Ministerial Regulation which stipulated the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the verification, exception and the changes in the visa requirements B.E. 2545 (2002) dated on 16th August B.E. 2545 (2002), Article 13 (2), shall be permitted to stay in Thailand not exceeding to 30 days from the arrival date.

3. According the Article 13 (3) of the Ministerial Regulation which stipulated the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the verification, exception and the changes in the visa requirements B.E. 2545 (2002) dated on 16th August B.E. 2545 (2002), within six months period, the holder of passport or substitutive documents which issued by any country that is approved by the Minister of the Interior, under the approval of the Cabinet, to enter to temporarily stay in Thailand for tourism purpose, shall be permitted to enter Thailand several times. Each permitted time shall not be exceeding 30 days period, and the total period shall not be exceeding 90 days from the first day that the passport holder arrived in Thailand.

4. According the Article 13 (4) of the Ministerial Regulation which stipulated the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the verification, exception and the changes in the visa requirements B.E. 2545 (2002) dated on 16th August B.E. 2545 (2002), the holder of passport or other substitutive documents who enter to temporarily stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for the conference or the international sport contest shall be permitted to stay in the Kingdom not more than 30 days from the day arrived in the Kingdom of Thailand.

5. According the Article 13 (5) of the Ministerial Regulation which stipulated the criterions, practices and conditions regarding the verification, exception and the changes in the visa requirements B.E. 2545 (2002) dated on 16th August B.E. 2545 (2002), the holder of passport or other substitutive documents of the country that is the member of Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) and holds the APEC businessman passport who enters to temporarily stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for business purpose shall be permitted to stay in the Kingdom not more than 90 days from the day arrived in the Kingdom of Thailand.

6. This Order shall be supersede to all other rules, regulations and orders that are conflicted with this Order.

This Order shall be in full force commencing from this 1st day of October 2006

Order dated on 8th September 2006

"Each permitted time shall not be exceeding 30 days period, and the total period shall not be exceeding 90 days from the first day that the passport holder arrived in Thailand." and "within six months period" seem to be the relevant bits for many.

www.thaivisa.com (http://www.thaivisa.com)

September 15th, 2006, 07:02
Yes, like shooting mosquitos with canons.
If anyone really believes this is going to remove the "scum" from Thailand, they are dreaming.
Most of the people they will scare off are decent people adding value to Thailand.
And it will have a dramatic effect on the real estate market in resort areas.
I continue to be amazed by the smug farang in favor of these changes.

rincondog
September 15th, 2006, 07:07
and saying interpretation and application of Immigrations policies might vary from check-point to check-point and from officer to officer. Not that this is anything new, perhaps, but it really empowers the individual officers.

This would be a real disaster if each officer takes a different view or maybe it would depend how many 1000's of baht were in your passport as he checks it over???

has alarmed local residents, both Thai and foreign, about the future of ThailandтАЩs all-important tourism and property development industries.

After a few months of this policy, as tourists numbers drop dramatically, the pressure will develop to ease these restrictions. Thailand has based its tourism on open borders so to speak. It now wants to control this and it will result in fewer tourists statistically and economically. Kinda like the drug addict that decides he will cut back on the dose a little bit. It doesn't work that way.

September 15th, 2006, 08:05
I think the Thais are taking advantage of the farang English teachers. Many of them are well qualified, with degress, and TEFL training. They generally pay quite low compared to countries like Korea and make it very hard to be legal...

How many of us have met Thai English teachers who cannot speak English? I know I have. Thailand needs farang English teachers and it has now criminalized them. SHAME on the Thai officials for this folly!

I'd say less than half of the foreign English teachers in Thailand have the minimum qualifications of a bachelor's degree and a TEFL certificate. The rest, obviously, have less than that ie no degree and maybe a certicate. Let's not even get into 'character/personality qualifications'.

The better qualified and more experienced TEFLers generally won't go to Thailand as salaries are abysmal there. The best paid classroom TEFLer on a regular full time workload probably draws 60,000Bt per month, which is peanuts compared to what he can earn in Korea, Japan or the Middle East. Besides, rightly or wrongly, Thai students do not have strong reputation for learners' motivation. On top of that, Thai school administrators and colleagues have a tendency to exclude, rather than embrace, foreigners in their work cultures. It's like they want your skills but don't want you. So good teachers don't last very long in LOS - they are in demand elsewhere. The few that do have already tied themselves to LOS in some way and usually have an external source of income.

Poor renumeration and lousy work conditions also account for why Thais who have excellent English, and I know a few, don't go into English language teaching. With their language skills, they are highly sought after by the media, legal and finance industries as well as diplomatic organisations which offer far better pay and the kind of glamour that Thais crave for. Hence, the English language teaching industry in Thailand is left with the dregs, both Thai and foreign.

Overseas-educated and cosmopolitan Thais will be the first to tell you that teaching in Thailand doesn't offer much of a challenge and even fewer prospects. Students and teachers are expected to fit into a (long-term) self-defeating mould of intellectual insularity borne out of an innate cultural superiority. Thai education authorities set tough national exams to gain face internationally but leak the questions to schools to ensure even bigger 'face-gaining' results. The spirit of enquiry is anathema to the Thai education system; it is seen as a catalyst for social struggle which could undermind the rigid social heirarchy that anyone who's not at the very bottom of the totem pole stands to benefit from. As a result, learning, in its broadest sense, is confined to rote truisms passed from generation to generation, severely curtailing the ability of the Thai to form extrapolated opinions and make informed decisons.

September 15th, 2006, 08:31
[quote]and saying interpretation and application of Immigrations policies might vary from check-point to check-point and from officer to officer. Not that this is anything new, perhaps, but it really empowers the individual officers.

This would be a real disaster if each officer takes a different view or maybe it would depend how many 1000's of baht were in your passport as he checks it over???

has alarmed local residents, both Thai and foreign, about the future of ThailandтАЩs all-important tourism and property development industries.

After a few months of this policy, as tourists numbers drop dramatically, the pressure will develop to ease these restrictions. Thailand has based its tourism on open borders so to speak. It now wants to control this and it will result in fewer tourists statistically and economically. Kinda like the drug addict that decides he will cut back on the dose a little bit. It doesn't work that way.[/quote:203jj10s]
Idiot farangs who are taking the side of the currently non-existant corrupt Thai government are blind the bald faced POLITICS of this clearly farang scapegoating new policy in the wake of "elections" who knows when, or a coup. Siding with persecution of your own kind is basically a form of insanity. There is NO RATIONALITY behind these changes.
Those on so called "proper" visa, are you blind? Don't you get the MESSAGE between the lines of what is really being said?

September 15th, 2006, 11:59
Sounds like you're the only one receiving special "messages". Do you talk to yourself, too?

September 15th, 2006, 13:16
[quote="Thaiquila There is NO RATIONALITY behind these changes.
Those on so called "proper" visa, are you blind? Don't you get the MESSAGE between the lines of what is really being said?[/quote]

Why is it that you are blind to the message that the Thai government are putting out?
They do not want farangs living here long-term under the guise of being a tourist.

Anyone wishing to live here long-term can apply to do so by going through the correct legal procedures, following that path will confirm whether they are eligible or not.

It is no good those that have been here relying on visa runs to maintain their status as a 'tourist' ranting and rating about it, the law will be enforced and claiming to be an investor in some dudbious condo purchase will not now have any bearing on the matter.

September 15th, 2006, 13:21
[quote="FILTHy Love
Maybe. But don't for one minute think that bar-boys, Boy Specials, tertiary student $boyfriends$ and long-term $live-ins$ want you either. The only thing foreign they want (or indeed, need) are SWIFT and Western Union.[/quote]

I agree with you.

My point was that the bar boys and others in a money relationship with a farang will tell the farang what they think he wants to hear.

These farangs live in a fools paradise, take away the financial support and see how long their 'relationship' survives.

September 15th, 2006, 16:08
The constant assetions by Boygenius and Naughty but Nice (Boygenius's other handle?) that all people on serial 30 day visas are doing something untoward while in Thailand is plainly untrue. I, and I'm sure many others, have done nothing in Thailand that any other tourist doesn't legitimately do - and far from spending less money than most tourists, I spend more since I wholly support one Thai national and contribute substantially to the support of his family. Previously the law said I could do what I did, now it doesn't. To say that the Thais really intended to limit the number of consecutive visits but didn't quite know how to do it is patronising and plainly wrong - as the recent change in the law demonstrates.

As many have said, the Thais are entitled to change the law on 30 entries as they see fit. But announcing it, via a press conference, a fortnight before it comes into effect is bad administration. This will cause unnecessary problems to many people - including many Thai people who will suffer the knock-on effects. I am forced to find another place to live and I doubt my relationship will survive this enforced separation. If it doesn't, my boyfriend may not find it easy to get another provider after seven years with me (i.e. he's got older).

The other implication of Boygenius's posts is that people on long term visas are all pillars of the establishment. On the contrary, i suspect that a majority of the farang operating bars and restaurants illegally are on marriage or other long term visas. The 30 day illegal workers are mostly casual teachers - and in due course the Thais will probably want to find some way of encouraging them to come back. The introduction of a special teaching visa, available to anyone who can show they have the right qualifications is long overdue. This could be for an initial period of two months, after which it could be extended if the holder could show he had a job teaching English somewhere by that time.

The problem for every farang living in Thailand is that bad administration and a total lack of care about the consequences of any changes made to the regulations can just as easily affect Non Immigrant visa holders as well. It will soon become apparent the the farang low-lifes haven't gone away after all. There will soon be another election requiring populist anti-foreigner measures. The number of farang retirees turning up peniless at public hospitals will, one day, provoke another knee-jerk reaction, which will adversely affect everyone on a retirement visa. If the acquisition of a long term visa was intended to give holders security it would have given them some rights too. But unless you were born Thai, you have no rights here. And will never acquire any. As the British might put it, you reside here at His Majesty's pleasure

September 15th, 2006, 16:24
The constant assetions by Boygenius and Naughty but Nice (Boygenius's other handle?) that all people on serial 30 day visas are doing something untoward while in Thailand is plainly untrue.

I have never asserted any such preposterous thing.

SOME, not all, are doing something untoward. ALL, however, are taking advantage of a visa class designated for TOURISTS -- which they certainly ARE NOT if you they here for years and years at a time. MANY of them support themselves by working -- illegally -- and not paying taxes (something which I, as a taxpayer, seriously resent).

SOME of them -- like the people we often read about getting extradited to their home countries after "hanging out" in Pattaya for years -- are serious criminals.

Now, finally, the Thai government has put its foot down and said flat out that you are no longer a tourist if you spend more than 90 days here on visa-free "tourist" visits. At that point, you need to decide WHAT you are and get a visa appropriate to your true status.

I find that 100% laudable, and commendable.

September 15th, 2006, 16:28
I am forced to find another place to live and I doubt my relationship will survive this enforced separation.

Does your relationship mean so little to you that you can't even be bothered to apply for a visa in order to maintain it?

September 15th, 2006, 17:32
The constant assetions by Boygenius and Naughty but Nice (Boygenius's other handle?)

If the remainer of your post is as innacurate as the first sentence then it will no doubt contain mainly drivel.

Why do people insist on making prats of themselves by making ridiculous claims?

September 15th, 2006, 18:09
But unless you were born Thai, you have no rights here. And will never acquire any. As the British might put it, you reside here at His Majesty's pleasure

Sorry but your research is poor and also misleading.

I was born in England and came to Thailand when I was five years old with my parents both British nationals, my father had worked in Thailand for the Thai government for 21 years prior to that and both my parents lived here until they died.

I was granted Thai cititizenship (not Nationality) when I was fifteen years of age and attended a state school in Rayong. That ciitizenship still holds good today and it has some benefits and bestows certain rights on me under Thai law. I still hold a British Passport as a British National and also hold a Thai Travel Document.

I am able to buy property in my own name , not just invest in a condo and have in fact owned a house in Silom for more than 17 years. I also own two smaller properties in Bangkok which I lease out.

So you are wrong in assuming that a farang living here cannot accrue any benefits or rights under Thai law.

I work in Bangkok full-time and pay my taxes to the Thai government as any legally employed Thai would do.

Although I am fluent in both spoken and written Thai I will of course always be considered Farang by the Thais but I have no problem with that. I am a long term guest working in their country and would not expect the laws to be changed to suit my agenda.

Anyone can apply to work or live here long-term, if their personal circumstances comply with the requirements of the Thai Immigration Regulations there is little doubt that a visa will be granted. The new policy is intended to restrict entry to those people who claim to be tourists but are obvioulsy using the existing regulations to stay here long-term and in many cases work illegally or are hiding from the authorities in their own countries.

Farangs should remember that this Kingdom belongs to the Thais and due respect should be shown. Far to many farangs come here expecting that the laws be bent to suit their own agenda when back in their own countries often far stricter regulations are placed on Thais even gaining entry to the country yet alone working.

September 15th, 2006, 20:10
In case Justin's ridiculous assertions need to be disproved any further, here is my case: arrived to work in Thailand in my mid-twenties. Now in my early forties, having received (first) Permanent Residence and then Thai citizenship in due course, with little fuss, no lawyers, under-the-counter payments, or "influential" friends. I now hold a Thai passport and ID card and enjoy all the same rights and privileges as any other Thai citizen -- whether born here or naturalized.

People who contend that "unless you were born Thai, you have no rights here" are typically fringe-of-society losers, malconents, ignoramuses, or (most often) all three.

September 15th, 2006, 20:49
People who contend that "unless you were born Thai, you have no rights here" are typically fringe-of-society losers, malconents, ignoramuses, or (most often) all three.

Much of the rhetoric appears to be that because Thailand is a third world country some whinging farangs consider themselves to be far superior and expect the regulations to be bent to suit their own personal wishes.

It is sheer laziness on the part of many that they cannot see beyond their next 'off' and cannot be bothered or do not have the brains to investigate the opportunities that are open to them within the law.

All the hand-wringing and bemoaning their future only serves to show that they did not bother to fully investigate the true validity of visas and the possible implications that would occur if as now the government decided to enforce the Immigaration Policy to the letter.

September 15th, 2006, 21:50
Well, at least this succession of replies demonstrates that Boygenius and Naughty but nice are indeed the same person. The fact that they have come up with different stories leading up to the same outcome (Thai citizenship) undermibes the credibility of both their accounts.

Ome wonders what the motivation of is. A sad queen with no better form of amusement, I suppose.

September 15th, 2006, 21:56
Well, at least this succession of replies demonstrates that Boygenius and Naughty but nice are indeed the same person. The fact that they have come up with different stories leading up to the same outcome (Thai citizenship) undermibes the credibility of both their accounts.

Ome wonders what the motivation of such people is. Sad queens with no better amusement, I suppose.

Two people agreeing means that they are the same people? Great logic, cowboy.

September 15th, 2006, 21:59

Ome wonders what the motivation of is. .

Had I been the same person as BG then I would have posted the same details, not a variation.

You would be surprised at the numbers of farangs their are living legally in the Kingdom who hold Thai citizenship simply because they have been here a long time and gone down the right road to obtain residential status for long term.

The motivation is to show that you can obtain a visa and stay in Thailnad legally provided you meet the criteria.

September 15th, 2006, 22:40
What percentage of farangs in Thailand become Thai citizens?
WAYYYYYYY under one percent. I don't even have to look that up. It is obvious.
OBVIOUSLY, a THAI CITIZEN has the rights of a THAI CITIZEN!!!!
We are talking about the VAST MAJORITY of farangs on regular VISAS.
Get real.
These comments by Thai-ized farangs are 100 percent IRRELEVANT to the vast majority of long term farangs in Thailand.
So you Thai-ized farangs, voting for Thaksin?

September 15th, 2006, 22:47
You voting for Bush?

September 15th, 2006, 23:02
You voting for Bush?
Of course not. He is never running for any office ever again, and of course I never voted for him.
So how about Thaksin, Thai-ized farangs?
Thai love Thai, huh?
Thai hate farang?

September 15th, 2006, 23:04
Thai hate some farang, with good reason. I suspect you may be in that group.

September 15th, 2006, 23:08
Thai hate some farang, with good reason. I suspect you may be in that group.
So Thaksin it is then!
Its naughty but nice to hear the views of a chauvinistic Thai on this board!

September 15th, 2006, 23:12
I guess you either haven't noticed my extremely negative comments about Thaksin in other threads, or your reading comprehension is very poor. I suspect the latter.

September 15th, 2006, 23:14
I guess you either haven't noticed my extremely negative comments about Thaksin in other threads, or your reading comprehension is very poor. I suspect the latter.
Its the former. Why did it take you so long to answer a DIRECT question? Is that Thai thing?

September 15th, 2006, 23:18
You never answered my DIRECT (and simple) question of many weeks ago, in regard to how long you've been in Thailand and in what capacity. Is that a visa-running bottom-feeder thing?

September 15th, 2006, 23:20
What does any of this have to do with the subject under discussion? Please exchange your insults/arguments by pm.

September 15th, 2006, 23:39
What percentage of farangs in Thailand become Thai citizens?
WAYYYYYYY under one percent. I don't even have to look that up. It is obvious.
OBVIOUSLY, a THAI CITIZEN has the rights of a THAI CITIZEN!!!!
We are talking about the VAST MAJORITY of farangs on regular VISAS.
Get real. ?

I would think you are overestimating the percentage.

That however is the fault of the Farangs. There is absolutely nothing to stop them applying for and being granted Thai citizenship if they meet the criteria.

Many are ignorant of the fact that they can apply and others are just to lazy to go through the procedure. Although I forsee a sudden upsurge in enquiries as to how to apply. :bounce:

As for the vast majority of Farangs on 'regular' visas then they are just going to have to stick with the laws or possibly find themselves at the BH until they are deported.

Whilst you are here, tell us how easy it is for a Thai to get a VOA in your country then justify why Thailand should be more civilised than your country and pander to your wishes.

And, although it is not any of your business but as you are being typically nosey, no I will not be voting for Mr T.

Now did you want my shoe size?

September 15th, 2006, 23:42
I think there are hundreds of thousands of Thai Americans who are US citizens. Obviously, it is MUCH EASIER.
Why do you post with two identities?

September 15th, 2006, 23:50
Obviously, it is MUCH EASIER.

Here comes that bottom-feeder logic again...

September 16th, 2006, 00:13
Obviously, it is MUCH EASIER.

Here comes that bottom-feeder logic again...
How would you know if I am a "bottom feeder" or not?

Brad the Impala
September 16th, 2006, 00:26
Thaiquila, your moral outrage at the enforcing of the Thai Law regarding visitors to Thailand, quickly turned to abuse of your hosts in thailand, and serves as an excellent example as to why the government is correct to take this stance, and as a great example of the sort of people who should be prevented from abusing the immigration laws.

Incidentally both Naughty and the Boy shared their history with you, and gave the interesting background to becoming Thai citizens/nationals, but I noticed that you were unable to share your history.

sjaak327
September 16th, 2006, 01:09
Any way you look at it, the Thai government has every right to do what it does now. It's a clear message, they want to get rid of English teachers and Barowners without a work permit, (sex) tourists who stay here year round, and other foreigners who refuse to get proper visa, don't pay any taxes and do their visa runs monthly.

I'm sure if you really want, that there is a way to stay here and get the proper visa. But it will involve either working, or investing and it surely involves paying taxes.

I also believe contrary to some people's statements on Thaivisa, that the Thai economy is not going to feel the effects of this. The last few days I have seen the new measures being explained in different ways. The latest I heard (but hey, that might be invalid tomorrow) is that they are not limiting the number of stamps you can get, but rather the maximum amount of days you can actually stay in Thailand. This of course is very good news for "normal" tourists and people going to Thailand for weekends, or for 1 week during a month, since they are not going to be affected by this. Come to think of it, it makes perfectly sense, they don't want to damage their tourism industry, they merely want to get rid of the long stayers without proper visa.

I have a Lao boyfriend, who lives in an apartment I rent, he might be affected by this, since he is doing border runs every month (since a couple of months). Before he was just illegal in the country. He also works without a workpermit, so yes he is bad I guess, but I'm not sure whether he is going to be denied entry, since Laos is not on the 41 country or 20 country list for exempt and VOA. If he is, I'm sure he will leave his brand new passport in Laos, and cross the border illegaly. And I don't care either way, he is making little money (7K a month), which he sends to his parents back in Laos. He will find a way to stay in Krung Thep.

Davey612
September 16th, 2006, 01:13
Brad, I think you can read more about Thaiquila in the thaivisa forum. Thought it seems he doesn't share that much of his personal life anyway.

The debate of which country makes it easier for a foreigner to become a citizen is really a non-starter. If you really want to become a citizen of a particular country, you can find a way to become one. All countries do have a restriction. The U.S. have a numerical system and allow foreigners to immigrate under family or work categories. The per-country quota allows each country to have similar representation. But that has to do with U.S. policies shaped by economic and social needs.

I haven't read how easy or hard is to immigrate to a particular country in Europe. But I assume there are tests and requirements. Canada and Australia have a points system. But all these systems in the developed world have something in common: The need of people from other countries to foster their economic growth.

Now, how about Thailand? We all can agree that Thailand is still a developing country, if not a third-world country. Thailand has already a labor pool that is not fully employed. In actuality, Thailand export its labor to other countries. So, in such a situation, how much is there a need to have an open immigration policy to allow foreigners to be Thai citizens? Maybe if the foreigner brings skills or capital that is lacking in Thailand.

I believe that the pre-October system of lax immigration policies only reflect the past view that this was the best way to attract capital. Thailand developed its tourism industry as a low-priced, relatively high quality product. It did, however, attract people to try to stay on a long term basis. I doubt that it was the original intention of the government (whichever regime it was or is) to somehow create this semi-permanent group whose status in the country depended on visa-runs. But that is what was created and maybe, it is time to curb this expanding group of foreigners who for all practical purposes, are living permanently in Thailand.

rincondog
September 16th, 2006, 02:41
Thailand is doing what many governments do, they are passing new laws or regulations, even though they aren't enforcing existing ones. The tourist visa does not allow work, has that been enforced? Probably very minimally. The new regulations will inconvenience the law abiding vistiors. The law breakers will continue to break laws, with probably a few exceptions. All governments do this because they think everyone will follow the law and it is easier to pass a new law or regulation than enforce it. You only penalize those who follow the laws, by making it more difficult for them.

llz
September 16th, 2006, 04:07
I wonder to what extent these new regulations (if they are inforced) will affect some farang gay bar-owners who until now were in Thailand on tourit visas. Can we imagine some of them having to sell their business if they cannot be given a business visa or a retirement visa ?

September 16th, 2006, 06:00
Funny, well not that funny, but you are all talking about farangs living in BKK, Phuket, Pattaya and their problems.
Well from a NGO, I know the new rules will turn down a lot of programs eg. on the borders accepted until now. This people can not get a visa, not that they have been working undercover, but they had a not signed agreement before. I also know people, not farang, who cross the borders every day, causing no problems.
I doubt the new rules will stay restricted, many people working in north of Thailand are people from Laos and Burma, they are cheaper in salary than Thai people in factories and so. Well maybe Taxim it not a capitalist and into free enterprise anymore?
Well i assume nothing is black and white on this matter.

September 16th, 2006, 12:59
Brad, I think you can read more about Thaiquila in the thaivisa forum. Thought it seems he doesn't share that much of his personal life anyway.

Enough to realize that he's just a redneck from Georgia who visits Thailand a couple times a year as a sex tourist.

September 16th, 2006, 13:35

Enough to realize that he's just a redneck from Georgia who visits Thailand a couple times a year as a sex tourist.
I have decided to just say no to being trolled by BG or his other Thai citizen alias, so no more responses from me on this topic. (BTW, I am a redneck like the Pope is Jewish!)

September 16th, 2006, 16:58
[quote="ThaiquilaI have decided to just say no to being trolled by BG or his other Thai citizen alias, so no more responses from me on this topic. (BTW, I am a redneck like the Pope is Jewish!)[/quote]

Once again Thaiquila you show your usual colours by screaming 'troll' whenever you lose the argument or see that others are disagreeing with you.

I would have thought that you would have an iota of intelligence and realise that just because two people living long-term in Thailand have managed to be granted Thai citizenship does not make them one and the same person. Using you flawed logic all the posters on Thaivisa who have citizenship are the same person?

Do a little homework and you will find that I have from my recollection disagreed on a number occasion with BG, however if it makes it easier for you to lose the argument and save a little face then you can claim whatever you wish.

However it does not in anyway change the fact that you are the type of 'serial tourist' that Thailand wants to do away with. :geek:

September 16th, 2006, 20:09
I think you can read more about Thaiquila in the thaivisa forum. Thought it seems he doesn't share that much of his personal life anyway.

Thanks for that pointer.

Reading through some of the myriad of post by Thaiquila in Thaivisa forums he does come across as someone with a persecution complex and a person who feels the world must only agree with his views.

Those posts explain a lot.

September 16th, 2006, 23:35
Actually, I am not currently a serial tourist. I am just a DEFENDER of serial tourists. Most have very good reasons to be serial tourists and are not engaging in illegal activities. Many people on so called proper visas are engaged on illegal activities. This current crackdown is clearly a political ploy and a face saving gesture in response to the John Mark Karr fiasco. When the Thai government goes after one class of visas, who's next? Forget about farang Thai citizens, this issue does not apply to them. There numbers are so small as to be laughable. The one we have on this board has clearly morphed into a knee jerk hiso.

September 16th, 2006, 23:42
no more responses from me on this topic

September 16th, 2006, 23:49
Correction: I will respond if falsely attacked. So sue me, hiso.

September 16th, 2006, 23:51