PDA

View Full Version : Many Pattaya hotels for sale

wowpow
September 4th, 2006, 08:11
Locally owned hotels up for sale - Competition knocks smaller players out
Bangkok Post today
PITSINEE JITPLEECHEEP KRISSANA PARNSOONTHORN

More than 20 hotels, mostly in major tourist destinations such as Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Krabi, have been put up for sale amid stiff competition from hotels owned or managed by international chains.

Most of the hotels on the market are in Pattaya, which is expecting a further upturn in tourism after the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport later this year. According to industry sources, Pattaya properties on the block include the Baiyoke Pattaya Hotel, which has 136 rooms, the Montien Hotel Pattaya, with 350 rooms, the 248- room Day Night Pattaya, the 350- room Jomtien Holiday Hotel, the 50-rai Koh Kood Resort and a 157-room hotel in Na Khlua.

Panlert Baiyok, the owner of Baiyoke Tower in Bangkok's Pratunam district, said he wanted to sell his property in Pattaya for 300 million baht to reduce his hotel portfolio. ''I have many hotels in Bangkok, Cha-am, Mae Hong Son and even in Burma. If I can sell one of them, I will use some of the money to help society,'' he said.

A real-estate consultant and a professional agent said advertisements for hotels of many different sizes had gone into newspapers and on websites to attract potential buyers. ''It's a good time to sell hotels in some locations, especially in Pattaya. These hotels are seeking new investors because of the new market [foreign ownership] requirements. But a successful sale will depend on hotel location and quality,'' he said. The consultant said most of these hotels were three-star properties and without improvements, they would probably face losses. Potential buyers are Thai or foreign investors. Their prime focus would be on beachfront hotels that have high potential for renovation. ''I can say that the hotels that are listed in the classified ads will be difficult to sell. If they are really good, you won't see their names in newspaper ads,'' the consultant said.

Currently, the average occupancy rate of hotels in Thailand stands at about 60%, according to the Thai Hotels Association (THA). Bundarik Kusolvitya, the THA vice-president for the eastern region, said hotel occupancy in Pattaya was better than in other areas, at 80-90% in the high season and 60% in the low season. Some industry executives believe Pattaya has an oversupply of hotel rooms. The resort city has about 9,000 registered rooms, but including non-registered rooms, the total could reach from 40,000 to 50,000. ''In my opinion, the overall hotel industry is fiercely competitive. Tourists have more choices and they prefer to book rooms through international chains and networks, and this has affected small hotels with local management,'' Ms Bundarik said.

Although its proximity to Suvarnabhumi Airport should help Pattaya, many hotels are having difficulty competing with bigger brands such as the Garden Cliff Resort and Spa, Sheraton Pattaya Resort, Long Beach Garden and Spa Hotel, Regent Marina Hotel and Le Me{aac}ridien, which is due to open in mid-2007.

To improve competitiveness, these hotels needed to renovate and upgrade their facilities, according to Ms Bundarik.

Manus Sawasdee sold his seven-rai luxury resort in Ao Nang, Krabi for 39 million baht. He had developed nine villas but stopped abruptly after the December 2004 tsunami hit the coastal province. ''I come from the garment business. I have never run a hotel but I have an educational background in hospitality. I have suffered since the tsunami and I will shift my focus to developing a new hotel in Chiang Mai instead,'' he said.

A large number of hotels in Phuket and Krabi were severely damaged by the tsunami. Some of their owners want to sell rather than face the expense of rebuilding. A hotel executive in Phuket said some hotel owners on Patong and Karon beaches had given up running their properties.

Bangkok Post - with apologies to LMTU for venturing into his area of guarenteed well researched expertise.

September 4th, 2006, 08:38
... you visited a country because of its new airport? The Thais who believe (as many do) that tourists will now flock to Thailand because of the new airport are kidding themselves. Malaysia had the same fantasy when its new airport opened some years ago. Tourists don't travel to foreign countries, or even choose between cities within a country, because of the facilties the airport may offer. My own view about the number of hotels on the market has to do with the declining number of tourists - apart from the package tours from China who certainly aren't going to be staying in those sort of hotels anyway

Dboy
September 4th, 2006, 10:53
Questions:

1) are the low seasons really getting lower as everyone seems to say, or does it just seem that way?

2) do high seasons really exist in places like Pattaya anymore? Last christmas didn't seem all that "high" of a season to me.

3) what is driving the decrease in tourism? And is this Thai-specific

4) is this China tourism thing just a short-term phenomenon?

5) What drives the overbuilding we see in Thailand?

6) why do people like these huge resort properties, as referred to in the article above?

7) are the resort properties really competing for the same business as the smaller hotels and guesthouses?

September 4th, 2006, 10:58
I disagree about the airport thing.
Look at Spain.
The major international airports fly into Madrid and Barcelona.
Most tourist spend time in Madrid or Barcelona.
Many fewer go to Sevilla.
Yes, I know Sevilla has an airport. But most planes fly into the gateways.

Sen Yai
September 4th, 2006, 11:26
Yes Thaiq, actually having an airport (especially a 'hub') does bring in the tourists, but the point is having a shiny new one like KLIA or Suvanabhumi, will not guarantee a fresh influx.

The best news for smaller airports has been the advent of low-cost airlines, which bring (low-cost) tourists into previously unpopular destinations. Suvanabhumi, is not in Pattaya. JetStarAsia did fly from Singapore to U-tapao at launch, but dropped the route after a few months due to lack of interest. Go figure!

allieb
September 7th, 2006, 23:29
Im my opinion the new airport will not make any difference at all. It will just be more easy and nearer for the regular visitors to Pattaya. Pattaya is over built and very seedy Its not like Bangkok where sex is in deignated places. Pattaya it's in your face everywhere you go. You can't escape it therefore it only apeals to harden sex tourists be they gay or straight. A lot of my friends have been once and said its just too much, won't be going again Bkk is more classy

Re the hard gay tourists they will come to Pattaya wherever the airport is gays wind up in the most obscure places looking for sex. Those comming from the other side of the world USA have already had a trek so whats cutting 30 mins of the BKK Pattaya trip going to do, encourage more visitors. I don't think so