PDA

View Full Version : Thailand's sex-change industry

September 3rd, 2006, 17:03
Thailand's sex-change industry

By MARGIE MASON
The Associated Press

BANGKOK, Thailand тАФ For people who believe they were born the wrong gender, the sex change they're yearning for can easily be found in this crowded capital.

The surgery is so common that it's advertised in bold print in newspaper classifieds.

Kate Monroe-Gillibrand, 50, was married for 20 years. She was Andrew then, and fathered two children.

Now in her hospital bed, days after surgery, she opens her pink satin nightgown and displays a flat bandage with a catheter. Her 73-year-old mother and her partner stand proudly at her side.

"This is a completion. This is where life begins," she says. "I'm going to stop being in a lie now."

Perhaps the least strange twist in the lurid tale of John Mark Karr, the man detained in Thailand last month after confessing in the JonBenet Ramsey murder only to have his confession debunked once back in the U.S., is that he reportedly was preparing to seek what is formally called gender-reassignment surgery in Bangkok.

A doctor said Karr went to the Siam Swan Cosmetic Clinic and its branches in Bangkok to have his sideburns and hair under his chin removed with lasers. "He wanted to prepare himself to do a sex-change operation," Dr. Setthakarn Attakonpan said.

Operations are cheap and easy compared to the United States and Europe, and the city boasts some of the world's most renowned surgeons.

Dr. Preecha Tiewtranon has performed more than 3,000 male-to-female reassignment surgeries in nearly three decades.

Patients have traveled around the world for the treatment.

Preecha said Karr would have been turned away from his Aesthetic Institute, inside Bangkok's prestigious BNH Hospital. To qualify, applicants must already have been living and dressing as a woman full time and must provide at least one recommendation letter from a psychiatrist.

Patients typically book appointments in advance from their home countries and are already women in every sense, except anatomically, Preecha said.

A fraction of the U.S. cost

The majority of foreign patients come from the United States, followed by Europe and Australia. For many, it's their first trip abroad and most travel alone. Preecha performs up to 200 surgeries a year himself and estimates roughly 1,500 procedures occur annually in Thailand at his clinic and elsewhere with his students.

"The patients are so desperate to have this kind of operation," Preecha said. "The reason they come, No. 1 is because they can get good results, and No. 2 the price is low and they can afford it."

The most expensive genital reconstruction at Preecha's clinic costs $9,500, a fraction of what doctors charge in the U.S.

At the Pratunam Polyclinic, another facility said to have been visited by Karr, sex-change surgery is offered for just $1,625.

The clinic, tucked in a dingy, cramped office off a busy downtown street, also offers everything from tummy tucks to breast enlargement.

Sex-change surgery can be risky. The procedure for men becoming women takes about three hours.

Doctors shorten the urethra and use skin from the penis and scrotum to create a vagina, clitoris and labia. Possible complications include blood clots and leakage from the rectum or bladder through the newly created cavity.

Cecilia Chung, deputy director of San Francisco's Transgender Law Center, flew to Bangkok eight years ago to see Preecha. She said she paid about $8,000 for the surgery and returned home with complications that later required corrective surgery in the U.S.

"I think Asia is still one of the popular places for transgender people to seek surgery," she said by telephone. "Thailand's surgeons are readily available and they have less red tape. It's cheaper, even including airfare and hotel stay."

She said another draw is Thailand's large, open transgender community.

Optional guidelines

A few other places, including Belgium and Montreal, are popular for reassignment surgery. But Thai clinics тАФ including in Bangkok and the resort island of Phuket тАФ actively market such services on the Internet, said Jamison Green, a transsexual man on the board of the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association. The association sets guidelines for doctors with patients who want to pursue hormone therapy or surgery to change their sex.

However, no doctor is required to subscribe to the standards, which generally require two letters from mental-health professionals and proof that the patient has been living as the desired gender for a significant period before surgery.

"If people want to go outside the system to get whatever they want, they can do it," Green said in a telephone interview.

From the Seattle Times

catawampuscat
September 5th, 2006, 12:33
Back in the USA, I had a close female friend who was a lesbian..Her lover was a transgendered (fe)-male who had been a female lesbian but
is now a very cute heterosexual male.. He is attracted to females only...

It gets confusing when they go out as my lesbian friend now has a male bf even thou she is completely lesbian..She said her friend had beautiful
breasts which were removed and since the hormones kicked in he has a mustache, sideburns and a goatee.. He is very cute,petite and still in his twenties and gets hit on by gay men who think he is a gay man.. When he mets a woman he likes, it gets confusing as lesbians think of him as male and straight
girls find him cute but think he is a gay boy.. He was still in the process of the genital changeover when I last saw them a few years back and I hope it all worked out well..

I met him as a male and had no problem with it as his voice was strong and not female but what a head trip it must be..... He introduces himself to new
people as a male person..

Many of the Thai ladyboys are very believeable as females unless their voice gives them away... :cat:

September 5th, 2006, 22:15
In my day it was done in a back alley in Shanghai and you were just given a mug of rum, a whiff of opium, a right slug to the jaw and a rusty knife was produced and Bob's your uncle ! ..or Pearl's your Aunt in my case. Of course now it's called "gender reassignment" which is far trendier but naturally as things began to fall apart I had to get the reassignement reassessed and the doctors suggessed further reconconstruction.

After a second opinion my new doctor suggested just a slight modifications and adjustments were needed and before long I would be a whole person again..the only trouble being which sex !! Honestly I didn't know if I was Arthur or Martha !..well I did because I'm actually Pearl ,so it's more accurate to say I didn't know if I was coming or going..and I mean literally..because when I was going, sometimes I was cumming ! ..and visa versa..God can you imagine the embarrassment especially if another person was involved.

Anyway after a trip to Tangier which became the new centre for such woes and a complete reversal of the original reconconstruction I was remodelled and transformed, or as I like to think metamorphosised into the wonderful creature I am today. Edith of course in her cruel manner says that I am a "freak of nature" but I say nature had nothing to do with it ! I'm completely man made !

In fact the other day I was only discussing with my doctor about how I must start to think about my mortality and begin a funeral plan but he said "oh don't worry Pearl, that's all taken care of..we have a large human size bottle of formaldyhyde here ready for you..you are to be a part of history and to live on in a science museum as an exhibit"..isn't that an honour !!!!

Aunty
September 6th, 2006, 04:41
Honestly I didn't know if I was Arthur or Martha !..well I did because I'm actually Pearl ,so it's more accurate to say I didn't know if I was coming or going..and I mean literally..because when I was going, sometimes I was cumming ! ..and visa versa..God can you imagine the embarrassment especially if another person was involved.

Oh yes. I can see how that would have affected the night's takings.

September 6th, 2006, 13:50
The older one gets the more dangerous that operation. I hope everything comes out, or should I say, 'Goes in?' alright.

You story reminds me dear Misty Dawn who got drunk and started the job on the kitchen table--And her co-worker who was on stage, in the middle of her strip, when she realized she was growing shut! Dizzy bitch hadn't been wearing her 'insert.'

In my day it was done in a back alley in Shanghai and you were just given a mug of rum, a whiff of opium, a right slug to the jaw and a rusty knife was produced and Bob's your uncle!

Of course now it's called "gender reassignment" which is far trendier but naturally as things began to fall apart I had to get the reassignement reassessed and the doctors suggessed further reconconstruction.

Oh, Pearl! You shouldn't be allowed at the keyboard, after your tea (gin) time, to reminisce about things that happened after your--long, long ago--tea times!
You just described how dragged that sweet Chinese bloke, Chew Man Chew, into the twitten! Which opened out into a twitchel. You bent over, your gonads were snagged (Why the Chinese called you Hung Low) and bobbed on the branches--It was a hawthorne-hedge--and Shanghai Lil finished the job on top the bar--With an oyster knife and a pair of tweezers...to remove the thorns from your arse?...No, to keep your member away from that nasty old rip, she said.
Your 'Reconstruction Period,' as you call it, rivaled that of Atlanta!...And that 'Gender Ressignment' was the worlds first vagina transplant!
Lucky for you that Poland China sow escaped her pen and was hit by an eighteen wheeler! She nearly rejected you but the series boar-injections took care for that, however; leaving you with strange sexual perclivities: for curly 'pieces' and a lust for kosher bacon--Which you heard could be found in Tangier--but when the Tangierese found out you had a porker's p---- they ran your vagina out of the Medina.

Anyway after a trip to Tangier which became the new centre for such woes and a complete reversal of the original reconconstruction I was remodelled and transformed, or as I like to think metamorphosised into the wonderful creature I am today. Edith of course in her cruel manner says that I am a "freak of nature" but I say nature had nothing to do with it ! I'm completely man made!

Yes, you are a creature of wonder; but I never said anything about a freak of nature! I never mentioned nature! However; you certainly are 'man-made'--Made by every man you can ply with gin and acid and drag off to your lair.

In fact the other day I was only discussing with my doctor about how I must start to think about my mortality and begin a funeral plan but he said "oh don't worry Pearl, that's all taken care of..we have a large human size bottle of formaldyhyde here ready for you..you are to be a part of history and to live on in a science museum as an exhibit"..isn't that an honour !!!!

You certainly put a nice spin on that. He plans to sell you to Epcot--To pay your bar-tabs--where they will float you in a lagoon full of gin: A nice way of telling you they plan to turn you into a new ride at Disneyland.
As soon as Disney remakes, The Creature From the Black lagoon.

Who knows: since The Black Dahlia movie was filmed in Bulgaria, they may shoot The Creature in Klong Bangkok Noi.
Remember when we were a hookers in Venice and worked both sides of the canal?...without a gondola. Those were the days! (Before the invention of speed-boats and water taxis, motor cars, electricity...fire....)

September 6th, 2006, 18:53
you know I never worked as ..what did you call it..a "hooker" !!

I was a simple teacher...offering French lessons to elderly gentleman as my cards in various newsagents and telephone booths stated: "French lessons from strict madam for gentleman on hourly basis ". You would be amazed at the number of retired judges and civil public servants who were interested in learning a new language at such at late age in their life.

I even supplemented my frequent holidays to London with similar part-time work around the quaint area known as Shepherd's Market were I would frequently meet gentleman who would just wander the street looking for a French teacher and fortuitously happen to meet me.

Unfortunately because of one such encounter I ended up in Bangkok. After giving a lesson in a small hotel room and monsieur had departed and happened to leave behind his wallet, as so many of these gentleman did, and I rifled , I mean looked through it, carefully putting aside the cash to obviously return it I, noticed an official looking card that said MI6..I think the man must have been someone very important in a double glazing window firm, but shortly later 4 burly looking thugs burst through the door and tied me up with ropes and gagged me..which is rather ironic as that's exactly what my punter..I mean student, wanted done during his French lesson !!!.anyway they warned me that I should never speak of this incident again and I should consider re-locating as far away as possible..hence the reason I now reside here...apparently my name is mud in the window renovation circles !!!

Aunty
September 6th, 2006, 19:25
you know I never worked as ..what did you call it..a "hooker" !!

I was a simple teacher...offering French lessons to elderly gentleman

So one presumes therefore that it was you who brought along the French letters?

September 7th, 2006, 15:29
"you know I never worked as ..what did you call it..a "hooker"! I was a simple teacher...offering French lessons to elderly gentleman"...blah...blah...blah..."I even supplemented my frequent holidays to London with similar part-time work around the quaint area known as Shepherd's Market
(AKA: The Bush of Shepherd's Bush. Only because she couldn't find her way to Twats Upon Avon--Which she now swears she thought was a genital cosmetic made by Yardly.)
...blah...blah...blah...anyway they warned me that I should never speak of this incident again
(She's dined out on that story since Rama IV was King.)
and I should consider re-locating as far away as possible..hence the reason I now reside here...apparently my name is mud in the window renovation circles!!!
Your name's mud under the bridges of Bangkok, dear--And what would you know about, 'window renovation!'
(Ever hear the one about the girl who didn't know the difference between Vasaline and putty?
All her f'ing windows fell out!
That's Pearl for you: once she gets a man, he doesn't get away!...easily.)
Though the term, 'Renovation,' may be more politically correct; you, sitting in windows in Hamburg and Amsterdam certainly doesn't qualitify as, 'renovation.' The (Less P.C.) term is, 'House' Wrecking!