PDA

View Full Version : Who have you used?

August 31st, 2006, 21:43
Just rummaging through old diaries and stuff and realised i`d used quite a few airlines on my trips to LOS.

Emirates
Kuwaiti
British Airways
Air France
KLM
Thai Airways
EVA
China Airlines (from taipei)
Cathay Pacific
Phuket Air

Im sure many here can beat that list.............go for it!

Out of those i would say the best was EVA - worst Air France/phuket.

Best flight to Asia was Virgin Atlantic to Hong Kong.

TOQ
August 31st, 2006, 22:40
I have only used EVA and Thai, both out of LAX. My Thai experience wasnt so great with Thai so have since stayed with EVA.. I fly the EGD seats and its service is good for the price you pay. However, from what im hearing from friends and reading in the forums, the EGD in the new 777 planes isnt going to be as good.. Hope this isnt true..

john

August 31st, 2006, 22:41
Just rummaging through old diaries and stuff and realised i`d used quite a few airlines on my trips to LOS.

Emirates
Kuwaiti
British Airways
Air France
KLM
Thai Airways
EVA
China Airlines (from taipei)
Cathay Pacific
Phuket Air

Im sure many here can beat that list.............go for it!

Out of those i would say the best was EVA - worst Air France/phuket.

Best flight to Asia was Virign Atlantic to Hong Kong.

Can't match you for quantity of airlines. However, have flown UK-BKK and return:

Eva Air
Thai
Emirates
KLM via Amsterdam
Gulf Air

The Best ? Without a doubt KLM
2nd Best ? EVA Air until they brought in the Boeing 777s
The Worst? Gulf Air (only because of the boring, long stopover mid-journey to change planes).

allieb
September 1st, 2006, 00:09
From Jeddah to Bangkok

Royal Jordanian. Via Amman Not bad and quite cheap 400 pounds
Singapore Via Singapore Very good but the most expensive 500 pounds
Emirates Via Dubai Not bad but no better than Royal Jordanian 480 pounds
Qatar Airways Via Doha The best by far 400 pounds

Although I am coming from Jeddah all the above airlines serve Europe and America with the exception of Qatar Airways. For those of you in Europe I highly recommend Qatar Airways Its a fairly new airline and all its aircraft are an average of 3 years old. Its rated in Skytrax as a 5 star airline and believe me it is. Seats are only 2 4 2 in Economy compared with Emirates 3 4 3 A choice of 3 meals and they ply you with good wines and cocktails.

Believe it or not its the cheapest from Jeddah because the airline is subsidized by the Qatar Government. Once they have established themselves the prices are bound to go up so you guys from Europe use it now while its cheap.. They have good deals from London. and have 2 flights a day. One from LHR and one from LGW. Doha to BKK is twice a day The 400 pound from Jeddah is a flexible return valid 1 year. Changes are allowed and even no show without penalty.

sjaak327
September 1st, 2006, 00:31
I have been to Thailand 9 times, and have used:

KLM 1
EVA Air 2
China Airline 6

All direct flights from Schiphol to Don Muang. I know that you can save money getting a flight through Singapore, or Hongkong or VAE, but I prefer a direct flight.

September 1st, 2006, 00:42

Qantas - great before they teamed up with BA
BA- worst of the lot. Bloody Awful Airways
Singapore
Cathay Pacific
Air France
KLM
EVA - excellent
Emirates
Thai Airways
Gulf Air
Virgin via Honkers
Garuda - in an adventerous mood

Jetsam
September 1st, 2006, 03:41
only 3

EVA
China Airlines
Mandarin Airlines ( That was in a MD11, that same plane crashed a few weeks later in Hong Kong)

September 1st, 2006, 03:48
Thai - several trips starting with my first one in 1985 - excellent service back then.

Delta - they flew to BKK for a short period and had the lowest fare at the time.

Delta connecting with either Korean Air or Thai - Delta had quit going to BKK, but flew to Japan or Korea. I continued to use Delta because they gave me a free upgrade each year when I reached elite status.

Singapore - Used my Delta FF miles to get business class ticket - at that time I traveled to LOS twice a year - once on Delta (free upgrade) and then used miles for Singapore on the other trip.

In the last few years before retiring an moving to LOS, I used several airlines - looking for best fare from DFW:

American/ANA (connecting in Japan)

American/JaL (connecting in Japan)

Air Canada/Cathay Pacific (connecting in Hong Kong

United (DFW-Chicago-SEL)

JAL - using my American FF miles for business class ticket.

Korean (one way when I came to live in LOS after retirement)

After moving to LOS, I have used Eva deluxe class for two return trips to USA -- I am in USA now on my 2nd trip back - I will get to compare the deluxe seating on the two types of aircraft - flew to uSA on 747s and will return on 777s.

So, if my count is right, that is 10 different carriers over the last 21 years.

September 1st, 2006, 20:17
For the long haul trip to LOS, I have used: China Airline, Japan Airline, and American Airline/ ANA and soon to try Eva Air. JAL is certainly number one in my book, with China Air in second and American Airline bringing up the rear. I am looking forward to the Eva flight in November.

Regional short-hop flights include Singapore, KLM, Vietnam Air, Garuda, Lao Air, Air Asia, and Philippine Air. Of course, Singapore was the best and surprisingly Vietnam Air was very good.

September 2nd, 2006, 15:47
A-merry-can (Due to a strike.)
Crappy Pacific (Never again!)
Delta
JAL (Just Amputate Legs.)
KAL
Northworst
Sabai Loo
Thai-tanic
Untied

GWMinUS
September 3rd, 2006, 06:39
Where is my List???

First trip was United via Shiangai and Hong Kong (Business trip)
Then Thai (good but not great)
Next Singapore (wonderful service, low season so three seats in coach to myself)
China (cheap but so so)
Malaysia (with an Asian Pass, great flight and food)
EVA (two times in Deluxe Coach)
and Now my FFM trip on Singapore

I will let you know how the direct flight back to LAX in Premium Coach on a 777 compares to EVA 747.

Cheers!!!

September 3rd, 2006, 13:42
Cathy..very good

Thai..very good

Singpore..very good

Qantarse/Brit Air..you never know which you are getting..both OK but economy..have your legs amputated first..trolly dollies the snootiest around. Go " World Traveller" and pay much extra for same as economy on other airlines.

El Al...sooo safe..look around and spot the ex-Israel comandos on each flight..always about 6 and very handsome ( and deadly)

Untited Airlines..God help us

South African Airlines..very good

Emirates..not as good as it's cracked up to be

Philippine Airlines...very good

Royal Brunei...very very good

Gulf Air..excellent

Yemenia..yikes, hold on for dear life

Laker Airlines...what a wonderful idea but done in by Brit Airways

Virgin Airways..great idea..succesor to Freddy Laker

Aeroflot..of dear dear God why did I do it

Olympic...yechhh..but anything to get to Mykonos

Titanic...not recomended..helps being in drag as I found out..helped into first lfeboat after picking up bundle of rags and mistaken for lady with baby.