View Full Version : Flying on United

GWMinUS
August 31st, 2006, 05:40
I want to use my Frequent Flyer Miles with United to fly from LAX to BKK.
Never done this before so a couple of questions.

United has a flight from LAX to BKK. So must I use the FF miles on United or can I choose to fly on Singapore or Thai, which are Star Alliance members?

I have the 60,000 miles required for a ticket to SE Asia. Can I book several segments for the 60,000 miles. Say LAX to SIN, SIN to MNL, MNL to BBK and BKK to LAX. Must they all be on the same airline, or can I fly Singapore from LAX to MNL and then Thai from MNL to BKK and then BKK to LAX.

Finally, can I use FF miles to upgrade on Thai from Economy to Deluxe Economy? Anyone know how many FF miles are required for an upgrade?

OK, three questions. Some answers please...

:geek:

August 31st, 2006, 06:28
>United has a flight from LAX to BKK. So must I use the FF miles on United or can I choose to fly on Singapore or Thai, which are Star Alliance members?

1. Fly SQ or TG anytime. SQ is far superior in terms of inflight entertainment and comfort. It should also give you a free stop over in Singapore where the boys speak English and don't need your money. TG isn't too bad as well compared to UA's bitchy matrons. Drawback is that these airlines only have a limited number of seats available for redemption by other Star Alliance programs. Reserve way ahead in advance.

>Must they all be on the same airline, or can I fly Singapore from LAX to MNL and then Thai from MNL to BKK and then BKK to LAX.

2. This routing is best checked with your Mileage Plus agents who will advise on the number of miles you'll need. I suspect you won't be able to get away with all these segments. If you choose SQ, you could get away with LAX-SIN-BKK-SIN-LAX as SIN is the gateway for your routing. TG will prob offer you LAX-BKK-MNL-BKK-LAX.

>FF miles to upgrade on Thai from Economy to Deluxe Economy? Anyone know how many FF miles are required for an upgrade?

3. You're referring to that Premium Economy available on the A345 flight from LAX to BKK. Maybe you should check the *A upgrade award calculator that is available at the UA mileage plus website. The mile chart is segment based and not published. FYI, the upgrade is from a Y fare to C (Business class), I don't think there is an upgrade from B class (economy) to Y class (premium economy).

Another option to consider is redemption on the direct LAX-SIN flight on economy. All the economy seats on that 18 hour flight are premium economy, at the redemption cost of an economy ticket on SQ. However, these seats are limited and advance reservations are advisable.

August 31st, 2006, 06:31
You can try United's website:

www.united.com/page/middlepage/0,6823,1153,00.html?navSource=Dropdown&linkTitle=Program+information (http://www.united.com/page/middlepage/0,6823,1153,00.html?navSource=Dropdown&linkTitle=Program+information)

However, I have always found calling them will get you a person who can answer all your questions.

Since your handle suggests your in the US, call them at:

Phone support
Award reservations
Domestic award reservations: 1-888-467-0507
International award reservations: 1-888-674-4680
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Mileage Plus customer service
Account questions: 1-800-421-4655
Password support: 1-866-209-3323 (U.S. only)
7a.m. - 12a.m. CT, 7 days a week

The customer service folks at United are some of the best.

August 31st, 2006, 06:48
The customer service folks at United are some of the best.Provided you get a US-based Call Centre

Davey612
August 31st, 2006, 07:34

United has a flight from LAX to BKK. So must I use the FF miles on United or can I choose to fly on Singapore or Thai, which are Star Alliance members?

For a free ticket award, you can use any of the Star Alliance members so long as they have seat inventory allocated to United passengers

I have the 60,000 miles required for a ticket to SE Asia. Can I book several segments for the 60,000 miles. Say LAX to SIN, SIN to MNL, MNL to BBK and BKK to LAX. Must they all be on the same airline, or can I fly Singapore from LAX to MNL and then Thai from MNL to BKK and then BKK to LAX.

No. But you are allowed one open-jaw city (either on the way or on the return), I think. So, in your example, You can say LAX to SIN and return from BKK to LAX. You'll have to pay for the SIN - BKK leg. I may be wrong on this, but I did use such a system once with SAS to fly to Europe

Finally, can I use FF miles to upgrade on Thai from Economy to Deluxe Economy? Anyone know how many FF miles are required for an upgrade?

United FF miles can only be used for upgrades on United. You can't use those miles to upgrade on other Star Alliance flights. As a practical matter, I think the best way to use the United FF miles is to buy the lowest economy class on United that allows an upgrade to business. That I think, is the H class ticket. You can check all the regulations at this website:
]www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=504 (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=504)

August 31st, 2006, 07:35

yes you can use United miles to book on Singapore airlines or Thai airways, but you still need to contacty United and have United book for you. Finding Singapore airlines or Thai airways' availability is not easy, sometimes impossible.
you can book multiple segments if the route require connections (such as in Toykyo, Singapore or Taipei). If the route does not require connections, it will be difficult to ask United to break the route to the multiple segments you want. All United agents do is key in the depart and arrive city, dates. Whatever spit out on the computer is what they will give you, very rarely do they tailor-made segments for you.

August 31st, 2006, 07:36

yes you can use United miles to book on Singapore airlines or Thai airways, but you still need to contacty United and have United book for you. Finding Singapore airlines or Thai airways' availability is not easy, sometimes impossible.
you can book multiple segments if the route require connections (such as in Toykyo, Singapore or Taipei). If the route does not require connections, it will be difficult to ask United to break the route to the multiple segments you want. All United agents do is key in the depart and arrive city, dates. Whatever spit out on the computer is what they will give you, very rarely do they tailor-made segments for you.

Davey612
August 31st, 2006, 07:46
This is the exact language from United:

"тАаOne stopover en route to your final destination or one open jaw is permitted for a flight award on United between the continental U.S. and Hawaii or between the U.S. and the Caribbean, Asia, Australia, Central and South America or Europe. No stopovers are permitted within a geographic region."

So, either a stopover, which in your situation, the only possible stopover I can think is tokyo given that the route from LAX to BKK has a stopover (or change of planes) in Japan.

Or, as I suggested earlier, use an open jaw. Like my previous example.

In practical terms, if you want to go to SIN and MNL too, then it may be just easier to do a round trip to BKK and use a cheap Asian carrier (such as Air Asia) to take your intra-Asia flights. As they say, it is up to you.

fedssocr
August 31st, 2006, 08:24
it is possible to do a Star Alliance upgrade on Thai using United miles. But you have to do it online using their website and it also depends on your booking class. Y class is economy not Premium Econ. My Premium Econ ticket is class U. When I tried to do a Star Alliance upgrade it was not allowed because my ticket was not the right class. The Star Alliance upgrade page has all of the details. It will probably cost you 30K miles one way to upgrade.

I would definitely book the Thai direct flight from LAX over the United connecting flight.

You should be able to do an open jaw as mentioned before. I have done this to Europe using MP miles. You do usually need to plan quite a ways in advance but sometimes you get lucky. You have to be flexible with your dates. If the first person you talk to can't find anything call back and talk to another agent. It also helps if you do some research in advance and know what flights are possible using both United itself and its partners. Some agents don't want to bother checking the partner availability so you may need to ask them to do it. I once used miles and my trip was on 3 different airlines so they had to get supervisory approval for it but it went through no problem.

GWMinUS
August 31st, 2006, 09:28
You season travelers are GREAT!!!

I am traveling in Mid-January, so it may be too late to get the tickets I want.
But always EVA, and pay!!!

I have loked at several options so will be prepared,
Will call United this week, pay my $15, and PRAY!!!
Let you know what is the result...

CHEERS
:cheers:

August 31st, 2006, 12:34
I would definitely book the Thai direct flight from LAX over the United connecting flight.

I tried using FF miles to book direct flight LAX-BKK on Thai airways on three different trips... no luck.

August 31st, 2006, 13:48
You can forget about it. They're just not giving those direct flights out as award tickets.

August 31st, 2006, 20:31
I just started collecting Thai air ff miles. Eventually, when I get enough, will I be able to redeem ff miles for the non-stop flight from LAX to BKK or do they not issue awards at all for the non-stop LAX to BKK flight?
Thanks for your help and advice!

August 31st, 2006, 20:51
Might be easier using Thai ff miles to get the flight than ff miles from other Star Alliance partners. Still, though, they consider those flights "premium" and it is more difficult to get them than normal flights.

GWMinUS
September 2nd, 2006, 01:21
I was able to get seats on all my flights.

Decided to not go to Thailand this time.
Always another trip...

I am flying from Los Angeles to Manila with one stopover in Taipei.
Leave January 12 and return on February 7.
Was able to get all flights on Singapore Airline, incuding the non-stop from Singapore back to Los Angeles.

Thanks to you Guys who offered suggestions.
Leaw pob gun mai!!
:thumbright:

September 2nd, 2006, 13:58
looking at your original plan: LAX-MNL-BKK-LAX
but you ended up getting: LAX-MNL-TPE-LAX

well....I would not trade BKK for TPE for the purpose of getting on Singapore airlnes. :bounce:

September 2nd, 2006, 21:41
You could also get a stopover in SIN on either way... which is worth it. Given the choice, I'll grab a budget flight from MNL to BKK just for fun. Thai Airasia is not that expensive.. and BKK is tons better for fun than MNL. No offense, but I think MNL pales in comparison in terms of food, shopping and boys.

SIN could also be refreshing.. 6 saunas to choose from and tons of bars with boys who speak better English than most people here in this board.

manfarang-old
September 2nd, 2006, 22:46
Getting award flights can be difficult and is not getting any easier. The number of award seats on any flight is limited. Check as soon as you know when you went to go. For a first class splurge with OneWorld I booked almost 9 months out and still had to finagle some dates and departure cities to get my Cathay and Japan Airlines flights. And some flights are just not available to alliance members but only to members of the specific airlines' frequent flier programs. Sometimes you can get the award tickets very close to when you want to travel because of cancellations, but it is a definite gamble.

Re: the Thai Air and Singapore Air nonstops from New York, their premium economy seats cost about the same, although Thai Air premium economy seats are sometimes cheaper depending on when you fly whereas I haven't noticed much flexibility in Singapore's prices. I would like to try out the Singapore Air nonstop some day, but I recall having problems scheduling connections with my home city.

An advantage to the Thai Air nonstop is that they also have regular economy seats which are several hundred dollars cheaper, so there is that additional option. And the regular economy seats on the Thai Air nonstop are still roomier and have better inflight entertainment than, to my knowledge, any other airline's international economy seats. In the end, if you want to include Singapore in your travels, Singapore Air sounds good. Otherwise, Thai Air seems to make the most sense if you want to go directly to Thailand.

GWMinUS
September 3rd, 2006, 06:21
HAHAHA,
I also love Thailand!!!

But I have a Special Friend in Taipei and will visit him for his Birthday. Turning 21!!

As to Manila, I will only be stopping over there. Then on to Boracay, Mindanao, and the beach on Panglao.
Visiting my three Sons. All handsome Pinoy Guys! Each different but each wonderful.
That about explains it...

OH, last year, I did fly AsiaAir from Manila (actually Angeles/Clark) to Bangkok.
The flight was fine, a Boeing 737. But could not make a connection in KUL. Arrived too late for the BKK flight.
Of course, I have a Special Friend in KUL also. So stayed a couple of days.
Getting to Angeles/Clark was a two hour trip by bus on Philtanco. But at least they pick you up in Manila and take you directly to the Airport. Nice ride!!! Only US$10 as I remember.

Thanks again for all the comments. Made me worry about getting a seat, but it went fine.
Had a sweet Guy in India sitting on United phone line.
He was anxious to help me and most surprised when I told me my Birth Year.
Said I did not sound THAT old!!! HAHAHA
Asked if I had ever been to India....

Cheers to All

September 5th, 2006, 17:11
Hi,

If you are flying to Thailand often you should really consider becoming a FF in ThaiтАЩs royal orchid plus. ItтАЩs very easy to get Gold (only 50.000 miles in one calendar year or 80.000 in two consecutive calendar years. Once gold you keep your level of membership for two years. Even if you have to fly a lot on United you still can save your miles on your Thai ROP account and they also count as qualifying miles to make the required 50.000. Also if you fly United Economy they put you in Economy plus being a Star Alliance Gold Member, you have access to the lounges etc.

Over the past six years I have been asking for all kinds of rewards, free flights as well as upgrades and invariably I have received exactly what I have been asking for and very quickly as well. Also I have been operationally upgraded several times over the last years. And after every 50.000 + miles in one year they give you a free upgrade without limits. I have used these already three times for an upgrade all the way from Europe to Australia and back, no problem. Try this with any other company! Thai is really very willing to please its best customers and it really isnтАЩt difficult to become one.

Henk

http://upload4.postimage.org/1053062/ropgoldcard_web.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1053062/photo_hosting.html)

September 6th, 2006, 10:46
....ItтАЩs very easy to get Gold (only 50.000 miles in one calendar year or 80.000 in two consecutive calendar years. Once gold you keep your level of membership for two years. Even if you have to fly a lot on United you still can save your miles on your Thai ROP account and they also count as qualifying miles to make the required 50.000. Also if you fly United Economy they put you in Economy plus being a Star Alliance Gold Member, you have access to the lounges etc.

Over the past six years I have been asking for all kinds of rewards, free flights as well as upgrades and invariably I have received exactly what I have been asking for and very quickly as well. Also I have been operationally upgraded several times over the last years. And after every 50.000 + miles in one year they give you a free upgrade without limits.

I do fly a lot on United domestic routes for work.
United gives you 6 systemwide upgrade certificates if you fly at least 100K miles per year. (comparing to Thai with only one upgrade for every 50K miles). These systemwide upgrades can be use on any United flight, including long international flights. Also, I check Thai's award chart...an economy seat from U.S. to BKK requires 85K miles, while United only requires 60K.
However, Thais Gold is valid for 2 years, and Thais Gold gives you access to United domestic lounges (which is nothing to write home about)

Aunty
September 6th, 2006, 13:06
I just got my United Plus FF six-monthly mileage update brochure plus what's happening, what's on, new deals, new partners, etc etc. thingy. I have 64000 FF miles at the moment. From what I read they will be increasing the amount of miles now needed (from my neck of the woods anyway) to fly anywhere, and this will be happening in October! The only example they gave was to the US, which will now increase from 60,000 miles to 80,000 miles in order to get a free ticket! What a huge increase! What a rip off.

Has anyone else had a similar notice that United is increasing the amount of air miles you now need to fly free with them?? If so it might pay to get in quick and redeem your points.

September 6th, 2006, 13:11
the increase is only for certain routes. From North America to Asia, it still cost only 60K miles for a economy saver award.

Aunty
September 6th, 2006, 13:20
the increase is only for certain routes. From North America to Asia, it still cost only 60K miles for a economy saver award.

Damn, just my luck!

manfarang-old
September 7th, 2006, 04:47
In another frequent flier thread I noted that FF miles are also subject to inflation. Just a few years ago I flew business class from Washington to BKK on American Airlines and Cathay Pacific for 70,000 miles. These days the same trip takes 110,000 miles. While it's always nice to have a little stockpile of frequent flier miles, it is also a good idea to remember WHY you are accumulating those miles and try to use them for upgrades or award travel on a regular basis before they diminish in value.