PDA

View Full Version : Dress sense of Farangs

August 29th, 2006, 21:03
Lunchtime today out for a spot of shopping with some girls and boys from the office we were stopped at the corner of Soi Thaniya/ Silom Road by two portly obese Americans, probably around 50 years old, who were mincing their way from the BTS station and seeking directions to Soi 6.

Dressed alike in Puce shirts and cream shorts (naff but forgivable for tourists), carrying the obligatory handbags, (naff but forgivable for tourists) they topped their ensembles off by wearing socks with open-toed sandals.

Why oh why oh why do people insist on make such spectacles of themselves? The young girls I was with could hardly contain their giggles seeing these lily-white chubby legs disappearing into tartan patterned socks and sandals.

Surely anyone knows just how ridiculous feet in socks and sandals appear or do these people really think they are making some sort of fashion statement? It does seem that Bangkok brings out the very worst in farangs dress sense. :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft: :pukeleft:

:pukeleft:

August 29th, 2006, 22:20
Sounds more like Canadians to me. Did you check their passports before assuming they were Americans?

August 29th, 2006, 23:15
Sounds like people who don't yet have skin as tough as old boot leather and want to keep things that way. Those of us blessed with fine, sensitive skin on our feet don't want it rubbed away by nasty sandal straps. We can endure the taunts of the cloven footed, knowing that it's what's inside the socks that counts.

August 29th, 2006, 23:35
Let's see...she wants to protect her creamy white feet from the horrors of the sun and those "nasty" sandal straps.

Here's a suggestion for you:

BUY A FUCKING PAIR OF SHOES!

August 29th, 2006, 23:48
Sounds more like Canadians to me. Did you check their passports before assuming they were Americans?

I did not feel that asking for their ID's was appropriate :bounce: but I can assure you that I have had to deal with enough Yanks in my time to know they were Americans and not Canadians.

Apart from which they did say 'Hi buddy we're New Yarkers (sic)'.

Nope they were Yanks alright!

August 30th, 2006, 00:04
I know this will never happen to you Naughty but Nice, but when some people reach a certain age, they do not really care what those fashion gurus say, nor do they pay attention to the giggles of young girls. Those old, obese Americans will opt for comfort every time.

Surfcrest
August 30th, 2006, 00:08
Sounds more like Canadians to me.
If they're fags they're not Canadians.
They must be transplants, someone once speculated it was a European thing.
http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7531&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=surfcrest&start=0
There's a billion piles of dog crap placed conveniently throughout Bangkok
sidwalks and only a transplant would where to watch for each and every one.
And they've become so Thai now that neither will risk loosing face by telling
the other how ridiculous he looks.

Surfcrest

August 30th, 2006, 05:40
Im going to ask some Thai friends to dress me from top to bottom next trip. Will be fun to see what they think makes a farang look good.

piston10
August 30th, 2006, 06:06
Lovely to see we're back to my favourite topic.

Smiles, Smiles, where are you?

You tell 'em again, boy! No one does it better.

catawampuscat
August 30th, 2006, 09:43
fashion is meant for the fashionable and not for those who only care about their comfort.. I guess I have grown accustomed to
the socks and sandals but when combined with short shorts especially at nite, it is hard on the eyes.. Some old coots seem to think
they have good legs and have the need to show much too much especially at nite.. Think over the knees and you will be ok..

One can get away with overly casual looks at nite in beach resorts like Pattaya but long pants at nite should be the rule in BKK..At least
don't wear those short shorts.. Also for those with more hair on their shoulders and backs than on their heads , please cover up at night..
A shirt that covers the shoulders is not asking too much, even a T-shirt is better than the exposed monkey shoulders look... :cat:

One last fashion tip, leave the black leather dress (business) shoes at home when you wear short pants..They look even more ridiculous than
the socks with sandals...letmetell you... :cat:

August 30th, 2006, 13:59
Im going to ask some Thai friends to dress me from top to bottom next trip. Will be fun to see what they think makes a farang look good.

A friend loves to go to a certain Pattaya bar, (Gay-do-ya or how ever it's spelled) watch what goes into the back (Dressing) room--And see how it looks when it comes out!
One night I did the same. It was more fun than the show on stage! You wish!
While it's fun (amusing. light-hearted, endearing), on a cutey in his twenties; on an older 'chubette' it's just plain funny-ha-ha. However; your friends may be well aware of that--And dress you in an abaya & burqa. While certainly more pleasing to the eye; they're too damn hot! Just go for the comfort; wear a mumu! My dear friend Hilo Hattie of Hawaii has some fetching ones you can order on line. (Skip the ruffled ones.)

Geezer
August 30th, 2006, 17:14
It is just such people as your benighted selves who threaten to undo the reputation for fashion gays have sacrificed so much to achieve. First you must understand fashion and good taste are synonymous. That which is fashionable is always in good taste.

A Thai boyтАЩs smooth, honey hued, flip-flop shod feet having been allowed to develop naturally, can be quite attractive when displayed in sandals. That a farangтАЩs toes are deformed by sixty five years of confinement in shoes, renders them no less beautiful. When covered by skin the color of a fishтАЩs belly, with hair growing from them toes can be quite erotic. It is almost a civic duty to expose them for public viewing.

You two are probably the kind who (gasp!) wear sox with boat shoes. No one said wearing boat shoes twenty or thirty times without sox is easy. ItтАЩs the same as wearing the same sox twenty or thirty times without washing them, but gays have an obligation to be fashionable.

Shape up!

August 30th, 2006, 17:22
They have special socks for boat shoes, loafers etc., that are invisible (they fall below the shoe line). So it looks like you're wearing the shoes with bare feet, but in fact the little socks are soaking up the sweat and cushioning your foot. They have a name, but it escapes me at the moment.

allieb
August 30th, 2006, 18:11
Socks with sandals is also a typically British thing. Its so fucking naff I would rather walk bare feet than to look as dreadful as a socksadalprat If anybody out there fits this description then you should know that you are an embarrassment to all of us decently dressed farangs.

By the way I also hate farang who wear trousers without a belt It some how gives a look of scrooge meanness. As we get older the least we could do for the young boys that fuck us is to make it as pleasant an experience as possible for them by dressing nicely and keeping ourselves as clean as a whistle. I have frankly seen some farang in Thailand who look so revolting, I can't understand how any boy could go with then. This as not about age it's about grooming .

August 30th, 2006, 19:26
I am a Canadian. I have been travelling to Bangkok and Pattaya for the last 8 years. I am getting completely fed up with the above arguments. Several times I have made these points: I WEAR SOCKS AND SANDALS. I shall continue to wear socks and sandals. I shall wear any colour socks I wish, as I am not trying to impress anyone by conforming to so-called colour standards. I have been bitten on my ankles and feet many times by sand fleas and mosquitos. Socks protect me. Maybe I am unique in being bitten, but I do not think so. So please stop critisizing those of us who wear socks and sandals.

allieb
August 30th, 2006, 19:42
I am a Canadian. I have been travelling to Bangkok and Pattaya for the last 8 years. I am getting completely fed up with the above arguments. Several times I have made these points: I WEAR SOCKS AND SANDALS. I shall continue to wear socks and sandals. I shall wear any colour socks I wish, as I am not trying to impress anyone by conforming to so-called colour standards. I have been bitten on my ankles and feet many times by sand fleas and mosquitos. Socks protect me. Maybe I am unique in being bitten, but I do not think so. So please stop critisizing those of us who wear socks and sandals.

At least TRY socks and trainers Thats better than looking like an asshole

Geezer
August 30th, 2006, 21:03
bobcan & allieb, you are beyond the pale. Those of us who wish to dress as Jesus dressed will NOT wear sox with our sandals.

August 30th, 2006, 21:49
I am a Canadian.
I have been travelling to Bangkok and Pattaya for the last 8 years. I am getting completely fed up with the above arguments. Several times I have made these points: I WEAR SOCKS AND SANDALS. I shall continue to wear socks and sandals. I shall wear any colour socks I wish, as I am not trying to impress anyone by conforming to so-called colour standards. I have been bitten on my ankles and feet many times by sand fleas and mosquitos. Socks protect me. Maybe I am unique in being bitten, but I do not think so. So please stop critisizing those of us who wear socks and sandals.

Being a Canadian is only your first problem, the other one is you wear socks with sandals.

But I suppose as long as you realise how naff you look and how much enjoyment that you give to the locals in seeing your socks and sandals combo then that is OK.

At least you will now know what the reason is if someone collapses in hysteric in front of you.

Incidentally you can buy mozzie repellent in this fine Kingdom!

:bounce:

TrongpaiExpat
August 30th, 2006, 22:41
" Being a Canadian is only your first problem"

Naughty: You have expressed your prejustice about Americans now you add Canadians to your list. You must have been carefully taught.

You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught

Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein

August 30th, 2006, 22:56
" Being a Canadian is only your first problem"

Naughty: You have expressed your prejustice about Americans now you add Canadians to your list. You must have been carefully taught.

My remark about Canadians was made in jest, anyone who can wear a Mountie's outfit and sit on a horse without breaking into fits of laughter can't be that bad. :bounce:

But I am afraid my experiences with and opinions of the American nation over the years has left me somewhat jaded. When we are subjected to the sight of their inneffective President as their supposed leader it does not give anyone confidence in the nation as a whole, although I am sure there are a few 'nice buddies' amongst them who are not warmongers intent on ruling the universe by fair means or foul.

TOQ
August 30th, 2006, 23:15
where the topic and comments about socks and sandals have led..

geesh,

john

August 30th, 2006, 23:17
Naughty But Nice...how happy would YOU to be judged by YOUR nation's leader?

August 30th, 2006, 23:35
Naughty But Nice...how happy would YOU to be judged by YOUR nation's leader?

Not at all happy.

But as I have spent more years of my life in Thailand than I have in the UK I see the Hon. Blair as a foreign leader.

However the opinions I formed of Americans was from my own dealings with them, the reference to the American nation was a generalisation of the view held by many people.

And yes I do know that some of the members of this board have said that they did not vote for the current administration.

Surfcrest
August 31st, 2006, 01:04
By the way I also hate farang who wear trousers without a belt It some how gives a look of scrooge meanness.

Belts come and go from time to time.
They made a come back earlier this year.
B.T.W. Thailand has an excellent selection of
bootleg belts. Even the real thing is hard to find at
home. T.O.U.G.H. styles are some of the best and
range around 200 baht.
The woman on Silom near Starbucks is the best.

Surfcrest

August 31st, 2006, 01:10
http://upload4.postimage.org/1002505/sandles.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1002505/photo_hosting.html)

TOQ
August 31st, 2006, 01:21
http://upload4.postimage.org/1002505/sandles.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1002505/photo_hosting.html)

lol :)

john

August 31st, 2006, 05:21
Any resemblance to a certain Canadian member of this board is purely random chance and a corollary of the chaos theory. :toothy7:

August 31st, 2006, 11:52
Bobcan
[I am a Canadian. I have been travelling to Bangkok and Pattaya for the last 8 years. I am getting completely fed up with the above arguments. Several times I have made these points: I WEAR SOCKS AND SANDALS. I shall continue to wear socks and sandals. I shall wear any colour socks I wish, as I am not trying to impress anyone by conforming to so-called colour standards. I have been bitten on my ankles and feet many times by sand fleas and mosquitos. Socks protect me. Maybe I am unique in being bitten, but I do not think so. So please stop critisizing those of us who wear socks and sandals.]

Bobcan that's just vulgar, do you also find your waist line to be just under your arm pits?

Has anyone else noticed how difficult it is finding a good looking sandal? They all look like the kind perverts like Bobcan wear with socks. Any suggestions?

August 31st, 2006, 12:17
I have finally come around to the conclusion that fashion is not meant for the over 40's (I am in this category). I guess if you want to wear socks and sandals then go for it. I prefer a little sprinkling of mozzie repellant around the ankle and an open sandal day or night or 'secret socks' (preferably white) with sneekers (trainers). However, what may be deemed bad taste but expected in someone over 40 (black socks and sandals) can be seen as quite daring and fashionable in someone somewhat younger. I spied an attractive late teen/early twenties Farang the other day with Khaki shorts and black socks rolled halfway up his calf. His age and attractiveness countered any possible ridicule and he definitely didn't suffer any sniggers.

Counter to the brigade who ridicule socks and sandals (of which I was one once), I tend to look more closey at the wrinkly Farang who go around trying too hard to look 'fasionable' (or to look young) wearing the likes of black mesh t-shirts with droopy breasts jiggling for all to see or those who have spent too much time on the beaches of Rio and wear those god awful thongs highlighting dimply bottoms at the beach, or the guys who will only wear the latest brand name (aimed at those half their age or younger) and bleach their hair blonde and think themselves superior to the more casual and comfortable Farang.

August 31st, 2006, 15:10
A Canadian Bullwinkle! Love it, d-b!

Don't like sandals. Feet get sun burn in silly plaid patterns. I tried saying I'm a Scot--Flying the Pattaya tartan! Didn't work: some rotten bitch told I looked more like an ad for Purina dog food!

Seems like much of the bites come from putting bare feet in the sand. Maybe Sand fleas?
Insect bites can become infected. The elderly, those with impaired immunity and diabetics are more prone. If someone feels safer or more comfortable in socks we should be tolerant.

I wish I could remember the name of the insect repellent more effective than Deet--And is it available in Thailand?

Socks with casual shoes: boat, trainers, etc., look okay if the right color and length; not white athletic, not rugby, not black support socks, for instance.

Those low-cut socks used to be called Footies, maybe some name less girlie now. Some, for women and men, have little fluffy, cutesy balls attached at the heels. Cut the silly things off as soon as you get them home! For one thing; they attract stray dogs.

The latest in silly shoes (For men.). I was able to fit into a whole size & width smaller and they were wonderfully comfortable--But.) pointed-box-toed black (imitation) alligator, running shoes! The salesperson said, "They're you!" I handed the spare to my friend and said keep it away from me--Or I might beat this ..... with it!" All in good fun, of course. Then she told me they were on sale, half-price. (See, she still loves me!) Should I sneak back tomorrow?... What would Imelda do? Joking; I wouldn't wear those damned ugly things to a wild hog baiting contest!...After dark!

I think much of the problem men-over-40 have with fashion is not so much trying to wear a style they could have worn when they were 20 as trying to wear the size they wore when they were twenty. The most chic, 'in' item will look like home-made-hell if it doesn't fit properly. Like the Queen said to my dear friend, Pearl, "You look like five pound of shit in a three-pound sack!"

Much of fashion sense is knowing what looks good on you--And how you can modify what doesn't to suit. And, if you can't make it work; 86 it.

And then there are those of us, like me, who haven't thrown away a thing, but lousy lovers and empty gin bottles, since we were twenty. To make it even ten times worse all those size-small hippy rags still fit!

Aunty
August 31st, 2006, 17:07
So please stop critisizing those of us who wear socks and sandals.

As one homosexual to another, how dare you sir! You should be beaten, bashed and abused, and then publicly stripped of your fagdom!

Hence forth you will be known as a sock and sandal wearing friend of Jesus, forced to grow your hair and beard long and to dress in brown.

I mean good god, if all else fails at least try some mozzie and insect repellent on those twisted old hooves. Buy it at home before you go and, to be effective, it must contain deet. You'll save on washing the socks!

www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5012724&variant%5Fid=46824&hix=1 (http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5012724&variant%5Fid=46824&hix=1)

But I suppose if you must wear socks, buy these and wear them with those ankle socks that some people have spoken about, and don't do it with shorts.

www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5020485&variant%5Fid=84142&hix=4 (http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5020485&variant%5Fid=84142&hix=4)

bao-bao
August 31st, 2006, 21:56
Having already commented on this once before ( http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... ks+sandals (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8578&highlight=socks+sandals) ) I hesitate to stick my socked toe into it again, but here goesтАж

Like IтАЩd admitted the last time this thread was posted: I donтАЩt make fashion тАЬstatements,тАЭ I make fashion тАЬslursтАЭ, so obviously those who are concerned about what little animal is stitched onto their knit shirts may not pay much attention -- but letтАЩs be realistic just for a moment, can we?

While itтАЩs true we may think some things others comfortably wear fall anywhere between out of place and hideous, outside of common decency there are really few things that are out of the question, IMHO. Sure, thin white wrinkled and saggy legs in тАЬabove the kneeтАЭ shorts arenтАЩt very attractive to many of us, but they arenтАЩt as un-appetizing as a 250-pounder in bright red Speedo briefs at the beach. ThatтАЩs just wrong. Athletic t-shirts worn by men so hairy they resemble an exploding sofa are also a turn-off to many, but obviously some think itтАЩs attractive. IтАЩve known friends who have long term partners who like it. To each their own, I say, and best of luck to them. IтАЩd rather not look at it, but I donтАЩt have to.

NowтАж sandals and socks. Leave black socks out of this for a moment. IтАЩd like to hear from people whoтАЩd honestly rather see ugly toes and feet in open sandals instead of neatly socked and covered.

There are many people who тАУ for a variety of reasons тАУ have toenails, toes, soles and heels that are better left covered. One dear friend here actually sleeps with socks on to protect the sheets. HeтАЩd much rather have The Fashion Police after him than have people gawking and commenting on something heтАЩs had an ongoing problem with. Would you insist on a person whoтАЩs had a toe or two mangled in an accident displaying that in public? Why should they not be able to have the cool comfort of wearing sandals instead of trainers or other shoes?

Besides, if guys are just dressing for тАЬthe boysтАЭ there, those who make themselves so unattractive as to be avoided make for more superficial Thai fashion slaves for them -- hee hee

So letтАЩs be fair here, guysтАж and let the flaming begin!

Ouch, that was my toe.

August 31st, 2006, 22:12
... if you're in Thailand you'll be paying for company, the "company" will be too polite to say how ridiculous you look and you'll be too dumb to realise what they're thinking. You're too old to be taken in by the idea that fashion = style, let alone good taste, and on holiday in a foreign culture that has completely different notions of style, fashion and good taste. Unless you wear some sort of headgear the sun will beat down on your bald head, and biting insects will assail every other piece of exposed flesh, particularly favouring the more inaccessible parts such as your feet

You have three alternatives - dress down (t-shirts, shorts and thongs) and look like a bum; dress in a way that you imagine will mitigate the heat (long-sleeved shirt, shorts, sandals and socks) and earn the derision of many of your fellow Westerners and most of the Thais; or dress sensibly (and stylishly) (shoes, socks, trousers (or if going gardening, jeans), short sleeved or long-sleeved shirt) and earn the respect of the few (and the Thais). Just remember, the same rules apply back home as in Thailand - the more flesh you expose, the less respect you command

Surfcrest
September 1st, 2006, 02:26
... Just remember, the same rules apply back home as in Thailand - the more flesh you expose, the less respect you command

Does that apply to avtars?

September 1st, 2006, 05:12
I simply do not understand how any of you participating in this forum think that you have the right to dictate the style of dress of anyone. One of the reasons for going on a vacation is to escape the dress conformity of one's home environment. Don't you people believe in freedom of expression? As long as I am not insulting my hosts, I should be free to dress as I wish. If my wearing socks with sandals upsets you, that is your problem, but really it is none of your business.

Bob
September 1st, 2006, 06:46
Bobcan wrote: "I simply do not understand how any of you participating in this forum think that you have the right to dictate the style of dress of anyone."
Hmmmm......you must not be aware of Statute 207 wherein I, Bob, am appointed as DD (Dictator of Dress). So, not only my right to dictate what you wear but also my duty!

Further quote Bobcan: "One of the reasons for going on a vacation is to escape the dress conformity of one's home environment. Don't you people believe in freedom of expression?"
Hmmmm.....and isn't making wisecracks about funny-dressed falang freedom of expression?

Final quote: "As long as I am not insulting my hosts, I should be free to dress as I wish. If my wearing socks with sandals upsets you, that is your problem, but really it is none of your business."
If everybody was blind, I'd agree with you.

P.S. Geez, fellow-holder-of-the-boring-name-Bob, lighten up!

TOQ
September 1st, 2006, 07:15
than the daily Soap Operas "As the Queens Rant"

john :)

lonelywombat
September 1st, 2006, 07:41
I find that mosquitos seem to bite me more than others and in particular at Montys Pool bar.

Others do not seem to either feel the bites or get bitten.

Even with mozzie repellant , I still get hit. Arms and legs.

It comes back to what each individual wants/needs.

I dont post about others fat guts, varicose veins, purple faces, crude T shirts.

I may cringe when I see gold necklaces and bracelets on the beach worn by the fashion police,

or snigger at the colour combinations of septic's shirts and slacks , but it is only what we are used to. Who cares.

Live and let live, unless you are perfect in every way. After all it is our vacation.

September 1st, 2006, 08:54
Dress sense aside, it is also just common hygiene to let your feet breath. Under those conditions I am almost sure that within 24hrs you will have foot rot. Socks and sandals are just one step removed from beige surgical hose, the stuff old ladies use to stop their legs swelling up like black puddings.

If your feet suffer from tropical bloat, fair enough, this is sometimes also associated with air travel, then remove every-thing if you can and go bare foot on the beach for a week and avoid all coffee. Take nice long walks preferably with your feet in cool water, then go home soak em in ice, put em up higher than your head and try and relax. Pearl, only under strict supervision!

Insect bites are a nuisance, but play around with a few different repellants as some work better than others and in different parts of the country, or sit next to a heavy sweaty breather, or a French tart they like them more, avoid all perfume. If this is not possible, because you are feculent and refuse to shower , then use a little sage or geranium, insects dont much like these smells, and other people wont have to suffer.

I have to say there is one thing worse than socks and sandals, and thats open sandals with toes encrusted in foot powder, the kind that smell like your grans nether regions. If wearing sandals, rather use an anti fungal cream like Canesten, it's invisible and has no smell, this will halt any putrid stink as it should kill the fungal rot over night. Remember to wash the detritus away the next morning, and repeat just in case.

September 1st, 2006, 09:17
OH FOR CRYINOUTLOUD!

Socks and sandals almost gets as much attention on this board as Niddy's Cheeseburgers.

Give it a rest.

Sheesh

:8(

September 1st, 2006, 09:20
Perhaps because they're equally tasteless?

September 1st, 2006, 13:06

So sayeth the voice of experience BG? Is it the foot fetish or the sock and sandal fetish that led you to a tasting? :cheers:

Cedric, any recommendations for 'hard pad'? No I don't have this form of distemper although many have called me a dog, but I do have very hard dry skin on the heel of my feet. My current course of treatment (self imposed) soaking, soaping, scrubbing with a pumice stone (or immitation), soaping again and finally moistuerising - repeated once every two weeks with moisteurising done every day. Perhaps there should be a 'Dear Cedric' forum to answer these bizarre queries, although I would prefer if you changed your name to one of those other agony aunts 'Dear Aunty Cedric' maybe?

Aunty
September 1st, 2006, 17:03

Cedric, any recommendations for 'hard pad'?

Well I don't know anything about 'hard pads' so hopefully our very elegant and scholarly fashionesta Cedric will tell you all you need to know about them.

What I do know however is that Edith certaianly knows a thing or two about knee pads. So too for that matter does Pearl. One wonders if they acquired this knowledge behind the same old tatty bush?

September 1st, 2006, 17:53
OH FOR CRYINOUTLOUD!

Socks and sandals almost gets as much attention on this board as Niddy's Cheeseburgers.

Give it a rest.

Sheesh

:8(

It is an important subject and for your own good.

To see what happens when you try to kiss a Thai boy whilst you are wearing socks with sandals click on this link:

http://fun.from.berdyczow.org/2004-05-2 ... -w-nos.swf (http://fun.from.berdyczow.org/2004-05-26/posmeraj-goscia-w-nos.swf)

and use you mouse's pointer as you would your lips.

September 1st, 2006, 19:02
Lunchtime today ....Silom Road.....two portly obese Americans.....around 50 (70)years old, ... mincing .....
Dressed alike in Puce shirts and cream shorts carrying the obligatory handbags... topped their ensembles off by wearing socks with open-toed sandals.
.... lily-white chubby legs disappearing into tartan patterned socks and sandals. ..

I think you should be a little more careful of your posts as I believe you encountered Edith and I after a long lunch. You might not think it's fashionable dear but I can assure you in 1937 it was de riguer in Paris amongst the smart set !!..or so Edith tells me.

September 1st, 2006, 19:29
Since I am allergic to insect repellants, I must wear socks with my sandals. Maybe I should switch to wearing shoes and socks. Of course this might get you all telling me what colour shoes I must wear. :bom:

September 1st, 2006, 20:25

In your case, shed 25 kilos, 25 years and extensive cosmetic surgery. Failing that, just keep up with what you've been doing ie 1000B for every hour they have to look at you.

September 1st, 2006, 20:34
However, what may be deemed bad taste but expected in someone over 40 (black socks and sandals) can be seen as quite daring and fashionable in someone somewhat younger.

M'dear, would that be 40 years or 40 stone or both?

September 1st, 2006, 21:07
Bobcan wrote, "I must wear socks with my sandals. Maybe I should switch to wearing shoes and socks. Of course this might get you all telling me what color shoes I must wear."

Of course, the fashion police will be happy to tell you what color shoes to wear. Remember, do not wear white after the end of August, it is not fashionable. Will George Bush be in charge of the fashion police? He thinks he can rule the world, why not fashion? LetтАЩs make it part of the new world order. Is there an NGO to help our poor neighbors with this problem? Big brother will certainly be glad to help you out. The only thing I will miss is bad boy Billy and his white shoes. Well, I wonder if he will be able to do the chicken dance on the beach with white sandals and no socks? :drunken

Dboy
September 2nd, 2006, 05:45
Will George Bush be in charge of the fashion police? He thinks he can rule the world, why not fashion? LetтАЩs make it part of the new world order. Is there an NGO to help our poor neighbors with this problem? Big brother will certainly be glad to help you out.

Somebody's already WAY ahead of ya on this one...may I present, fashion for a new American theocratic society:

http://www.armorofgodpjs.com/

September 2nd, 2006, 14:27

....any recommendations for 'hard pad'?

Look for a scrub called Bare Feet (Freeman Company) in a plastic tube shaped like a foot: the kind of foot you walk walk on, not a 12-incher.

Well I don't know anything about 'hard pads' so hopefully our very elegant and scholarly fashionesta Cedric will tell you all you need to know about them.

What I do know however is that Edith certainly knows a thing or two about knee-pads. So too for that matter does Pearl. One wonders if they acquired this knowledge behind the same old tatty bush?

Yes, Aunty, dear. The same scrub should remove those pads from you knees--If they haven't built up too much over your years in the bushes. If it doesn't work, ask George Michael.

Lunchtime today ....Silom Road.....two portly obese Americans.....around 50 (70)years old .... mincing .... Dressed alike in Puce shirts and cream shorts, carrying the obligatory handbags... topped their ensembles off by wearing socks with open-toed sandals .... lily-white chubby legs disappearing into tartan patterned socks--And sandals.

I think you should be a little more careful of your posts as I believe you encountered Edith and I after a long lunch. You might not think it's fashionable dear but I can assure you in 1937 it was de riguer in Paris amongst the smart set !!..or so Edith tells me.

No, I think you have me corn-fused (Confusion that comes from too much corn...liquor, of course--Or holing.), Pearl, with someone else--The Douche-est, perhaps?... No, to...avoirdupois...to be corn-fused, or any kind of fused, with me.
You know puce so blends with my rosy complexion a puce shirt makes me look like I've been decapitated--Which is a very strange look with wrap-around sun glasses. Anyway; my dear departed friend, Jean Cocteau, who's fashion advice I always followed (Until she offered me a part, the wrong one, in his movie: Beauty & the Beast--He knew I wanted to play the Beast!), told me puce and cream went out in 1927--And with my pure complexion I should wear only white. Screw that bitch, Coco Channel, who had to go and popularize the suntan in 1929! Which is the reason we are again--For the umpteenth time--embroiled in this over baked discussion about socks (Ugh!) and sandals. Why can't we all wear modest beach costumes & cart-wheel hats, sit under organdy parasols, pat buttermilk on our titties and swill rum-and-tonics laced with lime...and laudanum!...as proper, genteel young ladies of quality once did?

Speaking of advice--And we were--I hope no one here is so impressionable as to follow the dining-out (Or eating out.) recommendations of a foot fetishist so jaded she can not tell sweat-socks from cheese burgers.
I've been told (Is it true?); she and another well-know Niddy's-Nookie-Knocker can be found there noshing nightly on well-dones with grilled onions and the-works which they eat through their veils, hoping no one will recognize them unfortunately the veils don't cover their big, fat, give-away a....) Oops! How rude! Caught myself just in time! Almost misspelled, a...word.

September 2nd, 2006, 16:39

So sayeth the voice of experience BG? Is it the foot fetish or the sock and sandal fetish that led you to a tasting? :cheers:

Cedric, any recommendations for 'hard pad'? No I don't have this form of distemper although many have called me a dog, but I do have very hard dry skin on the heel of my feet. My current course of treatment (self imposed) soaking, soaping, scrubbing with a pumice stone (or immitation), soaping again and finally moistuerising - repeated once every two weeks with moisteurising done every day. Perhaps there should be a 'Dear Cedric' forum to answer these bizarre queries, although I would prefer if you changed your name to one of those other agony aunts 'Dear Aunty Cedric' maybe?

Why of course fatman dear, I have the perfect solution. You wont like it. But once you get over the initial shock your feet will be reborn. Let me first tell you that no amount of scaling scrubbing filling or creaming will help "hard pad" long term. Now take a seat and calm yourself. I have been there before. During a simple sandal footed holiday at the turn of the millenium ( I was sure something dramatic would happen, so I wanted to be as high as possible) whilst clambering all over the Atlas mountains, my feet turned into 4X4's.

The solution is simple, you must wear socks and sandals for three weeks, preferably thick woollen socks. Don't do a thing to them, just wash as normal. They will end up pink and soft like baby's bum.

If you just can't bring yourself to do the Bobcan, and I couldn't, then I have a better solution for you. Wear socks and closed shoes for three weeks straight. This is the only long term solution. Once your feet are looking good enough to lick, start wearing open sandals again, you can probably get away with it for ten days, then it's back to the closed shoes. Or just wear sandals at home or what ever. The condition is made worse in the rainy season, your heels can crack open and become infected and painful, as each time they wet and then dry they will further crack and thicken.

I have to say though "hard pad" is perfectly natural, it's just your feet doing what they do best, equipping you for the going, no matter what it is. I try and keep a happy medium for my feet, as soft pink squishy feet are also not at all attractive, they must at least look like they can do the business.

September 2nd, 2006, 18:33
I do have very hard dry skin on the heel of my feet. My current course of treatment (self imposed) soaking, soaping, scrubbing with a pumice stone (or immitation), soaping again and finally moistuerising

Try this SOFTER foot cream. Using it for a week and you will start to see your heels getting softer and all the cracks start to seal. After 2 weeks, you will be very pleased with it.

The only problem is that if you stop using it your heels will start to get hard again. But then after your heels have become soft, you only need to use a little amount of it each day.

It cost 149 baht for 100 grams ( quite a big tube ) and will last for weeks. Available at most pharmacies one of which is at the supermarket in Robinson Store on Silom opposite the Dusit Hotel. When you ask the pharmacist about this Softer, you may be told to try the imported Malaysian version which costs twice the Thai Softer and is much smaller. Just say no. I tried it, and it was no better.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/chuckwow/softer.jpg

Aunty
September 3rd, 2006, 07:42
Get this product too fatty, it's one of the best you can get. They also sell an excellent creame if you suffer chaffing between the legs and under the man breasts when you're in the tropics! Check out there site.

www.neatfeat.net/acart/agora.cgi?product=foot_and_heel_balm (http://www.neatfeat.net/acart/agora.cgi?product=foot_and_heel_balm)

September 3rd, 2006, 08:40
... Edith, Cedder's, Aunty and Chukwow for such detailed advice. I'll forget about wearing thick wolly socks constantly for three weeks just for now though!

Oh, and Chuckwow, where did you get such a lovely Avatar and does he have a brother?

September 3rd, 2006, 08:55
Seriously no, no amount of creams will do it. You just have to cover up. It's the only the way the skin can remain supple long enough to slough off effectively and permanently. Three weeks is all it takes. Then wear sandals in moderation and all will be good. Just rinse your feet every evening as normal before you step into the house, this keeps them fresh. I also recommend changing your socks twice a day in the tropics, if you can, but thick ones should be OK for a whole days use.
Believe me it's the only way. Simple but effective. Softening creams tend to make the skin just sticks there, rather than freely sloughing off, and it turns to foot rot. You want to naturally encourage a good ph in there and let your feet fix themselves, everything else is just short term and will return the minute you stop treatment.

For short term or at the same time you could also go to the beach and do a lot of walking in the moist sand at the waters edge, this abrasion is excellent for smoothing away any rough edges.