PDA

View Full Version : Caution Always Advised on Beach Rd in the Wee Morning Hours

August 29th, 2006, 06:41
British Tourist Severely Bashed.

In the very early hours of Monday morning police and Sawang Boriboon volunteers were called to the area on Beach Road in front of the Pattayaland Sois where they found a 50 year old British national in an unconscious state.

According to witnesses, the man had been attacked by a group of three or four Thai men who were clearly intent on robbing him of his valuables. The British tourist was knocked to the ground during the assault and rendered unconscious, while the thugs made off with his wallet and watch. The man was taken to Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital where his condition is currently being carefully watched. Police are hoping he will be able to give them some idea of what happened and why when he finally regains consciousness.

www.pattayacitynews.net/news_28_08_49_4.htm (http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_28_08_49_4.htm)

dab69
August 29th, 2006, 07:08
many mornings, having a bout of jetlag-induced insomnia, i go for a walk
in the earliest am hours to calm myself by the gulf.

i could not feel more safe anywhere, especially at those hours

bucknaway
August 29th, 2006, 07:10
I don't have much to add... Lets be honest... I don't have anything to add to this story other than to say... I bet the criminals are CUTE! :cherry:

August 29th, 2006, 07:18
many mornings, having a bout of jetlag-induced insomnia, i go for a walk in the earliest am hours to calm myself by the gulf.

I always do the same dab69. However, on the last trip I was struck by the increasing number of unsavory characters along Beach Road. I found myself being a little more alert to those around me, and unusual and new experience after many years of carefree walks along the promenade between 3 am and dawn.

I am still going to take these walks, but also be a little more cautious, at least until the Pattaya city fathers clean things up a bit.

catawampuscat
August 30th, 2006, 10:02
If one is not drunk, not wearing obvious gold jewelry or an expensive wristwatch, is not flashing cash, even Beach Rd. in the wee hours is relatively
safe by most standards.. If you are obviously drunk , wearing heavy gold jewelry and waving a thick wad of bills, good luck and good nite.. :cat:

dab69
August 31st, 2006, 04:01
the worst i have seen is someone @ 6am offering to sell
me marajuana and showing me a small sample.
no i wouldn't touch it for the world there

Dodger
August 31st, 2006, 05:10
The Beach Frontage along Beach Road has never had any interest to me so I guess I don't have anything to worry about.

The water's too polluted for swimming, unless you plan on swiping the gas off your skin into a bottle to feed your motocy. Frankly, I'd be more concerned abot some of the hobo looking drunken farangs who you see slumped over on those stone benches in the wee morning hours. Sometimes I think the ladyboys roll them just for something to do.

August 31st, 2006, 05:16
I'd be more concerned abot some of the hobo looking drunken farangs who you see slumped over on those stone benches in the wee morning hours.

Often it appears to be the flotsam and jetsam of falangdom.

August 31st, 2006, 17:16
About ten years ago a charming young man from Manchester sat next to us in Toy Boys.
We said hello. He proceeded to regale us with his first-day experiences in Pattaya; ending with a waste of time and 5,000 baht at a bust-out clip-joint massage parlor near Big C. (More than one way to get mugged in Pattaya.)
He finished his drink & said he was off to try his 'luck' on Beach Road. My Thai friend tried to warn him but he said the massage parlor had about cleaned him out so, 'Beach Road it is.'
A few days later the Pattaya Mail ran a story: Manchester Man Mugged. He was walking on Beach Road, saw four boys sitting under a coconut palm, one playing a guitar, and singing. They waved him over, he sat down and.... When he awoke; boys, guitar and his money, watch & ring were gone. The police--And the coconut the boys bashed him with--were there.
I felt very bad, as did Num who would have gone with him in a Bangkok minute.

BTW: If you simply must flaunt the cunning gold necklace, don't walk near the curb, especially in the same direction as traffic flow; even in day time. The old motorbike snatch trick is back.
And don't get the idea you're safe wearing a fake-gold chain (Especially ten-baht size.): stronger than gold, might not break, b/f thinks you tried to ditch him--And missed the taxi seat--as you go bouncing over Road Two pot-holes yelling, 'STOP!' instead of, 'YUT!'
If you survive the ride, the thief demands fa-ifty baht for the ride--And the police pop up to give you a ticket for... Jay-biking? No helmet? Littering? Noise Pollution? All of the above?

September 7th, 2006, 03:54
I am still going to take these walks, but also be a little more cautious, at least until the Pattaya city fathers clean things up a bit.

Beach security discussed at Pattaya City Hall meeting.

Khun Niran, the Mayor of Pattaya chaired this meeting at Pattaya City Hall which was attended by Police Lieutenant Colonel Wootishart, the Chief of PattayaтАЩs Tourist Police Division and Police Lieutenant Colonel Natasit, the Deputy Chief of Pattaya Police to discuss the MayorтАЩs concerns over the state of Pattaya Beach late at night.

The Mayor suggested that beach crime had substantially increased and blamed the reduced tourist numbers this year on the poor state of the beach which is used by prostitutes and petty criminals who will take advantage of the poor lighting on the beach to conduct anti-social activities.

The Mayor would now like Pattaya Police along with the Tourist Police to conduct nightly patrols along the beach until day-break to ensure that crime and prostitution are eradicated.

www.pattayacitynews.net/news_06_09_49.htm (http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_06_09_49.htm)