PDA

View Full Version : Accident Insurance - Not Medical

Fred
October 18th, 2023, 02:22
I'm arriving for 60-90 days in March. I am too old (78) to afford medical insurance. Is there such a thing as accident insurance that would cover medical costs in case of an accident? If so, any recommendations where to look?

2lz2p
October 18th, 2023, 06:53
Yes there are accident policies. They can be obtained from any insurance broker. The premium should be less than 3,000 baht for one year of coverage.

latintopxxx
October 18th, 2023, 08:04
soyunds real cheap...doubt they woukld ever pay out

daydreamer
October 18th, 2023, 08:08
I'm arriving for 60-90 days in March. I am too old (78) to afford medical insurance. Is there such a thing as accident insurance that would cover medical costs in case of an accident? If so, any recommendations where to look?

If you live in the US, one of the best comparison sites for travel insurance is Squaremouth.com. I purchased a policy through them from Seven Corners Insurance a couple years ago, back when Covid insurance was mandatory to enter Thailand.

I contracted Covid in Thailand, and Seven Corners Insurance paid all the expenses for my hotel quarantine (hospitel) in Thailand, along with missed flights and pre-paid hotel nights that were non refundable.

I just entered your info of 78 years old, arriving in Thailand in March for 60 days, into the Squaremouth.com search engine. Yes, there are many affordable policies available for a 78 year old. I hope this is of help to you.

Fred
October 18th, 2023, 19:44
Thanks. That does look good.

gerefan2
October 19th, 2023, 01:04
Anyone got any links to UK insurers who do accident only policies? I can’t find any.

Or maybe outside the UK if they cover British citizens?

75 year old on departure, turning 76 whilst there.

latintopxxx
October 19th, 2023, 03:25
daydreamer....really find that hard to believe...

daydreamer
October 19th, 2023, 08:01
daydreamer....really find that hard to believe...

I don't much care what you believe.

You can read my full trip report from early 2022 on gayguides.com if you think I am making up a story. It goes into detail about my quarantine in Thailand Here's the link: https://www.gayguides.com/forums/topic/37460-trip-to-phuket-khao-lak-and-ao-nang-on-the-andaman-sea-coast/#comment-328967

I would never purchase a travel policy from a Thai company, too much chance they might refuse to pay.

Marc K
October 19th, 2023, 12:33

Hey Fred who says you cannot get health insurance if you are >75? That's rubbish. In my mind the king of travel - accident - health insurance is Allianz, a German company. https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/

If you are staying 90 days for heaven's sake get an annual policy. It even covers pre-existing conditions after a waiting period (2 months?) so get it way before you travel and before you buy your airline tickets, etc. Do it now if you are going to travel in March.

It doesn't come cheap at our age though. I pay about $700/yr for the two of us.

Fred
October 19th, 2023, 16:00
Daydreamer....so far your suggestion is the best. Squaremouth.com has quoted $450 for my trip that includes medical and accidental. The reviews for them are quite favorable.

daydreamer
October 19th, 2023, 18:01
Daydreamer....so far your suggestion is the best. Squaremouth.com has quoted $450 for my trip that includes medical and accidental. The reviews for them are quite favorable.

Glad it was useful to you. I filed two claims with Seven Corners, one for the medical quarantine, and one for trip interruption. I had added the trip interruption rider to the policy. They paid out on everything I claimed. Just document dates and times, and keep your receipts in case of a claim. Have a good trip !!

Dodger
October 21st, 2023, 08:14

If you're 78 y/o and plan to drive during your holiday in Thailand you'd be better off with Life Insurance...LOL...just kidding (kind of).

Seriously, any insurance broker over here can hook you up with economical accident insurance to cover you during your stay. You can also purchase this over-the-counter at most banks.

Enjoy your stay.

latintopxxx
October 22nd, 2023, 04:35
must be an american thing, as soon as the pandemic showed up most insurance companies refused to cover it

daydreamer
October 22nd, 2023, 08:35
must be an american thing, as soon as the pandemic showed up most insurance companies refused to cover it

During the pandemic,once Thailand began to allow inbound travel again, a Thailand Pass was required to be approved before being allowed to board a flight to Thailand. The airlines carefully checked that the requirements were met. The amount of travel insurance changed a couple times, but Thailand required that such insurance specifically mentioned that Covid was covered under the policy.

It was not an American thing, it applied to all nationalities at the time. The info below was a Thai requirement for all foreigners to enter the country during that time:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because foreign travelers are not eligible for free medical care in Thailand, the Thai government included travel insurance with Covid cover as part of their entry requirements.

To have your insurance approved in the system, it had to meet the following requirements:

A minimum cover of $10,000 USD for medical expenses and treatment.
It must specifically state that it covers Covid-related incidents.
It must remain valid for the entire length of your stay in Thailand.

latintopxxx
October 22nd, 2023, 10:03
as far as i know it was not possible in NZ or Australia....we were stuck...the Thai's may insist but we coulodnt get anyone to provide cover