PDA

View Full Version : Eyeglass Recommendations

Dodger
October 7th, 2023, 08:37
I need to replace my eyeglass lenses which have become worn/scratches. I also need a new eye exam.

The place where I purchased these in Pattaya 5 years ago is now closed and the Charoen in Bang Saray doesn't sell prescription Polaroid lenses.

Any recommendations?

jvt22222
October 7th, 2023, 14:20
I have just sent you a private message here on SAWATDEE NETWORK … I hope it goes through.

latintopxxx
October 8th, 2023, 07:44
why private...not like you are giving away the contact number of the best gogo MB in the world..

mr giggles
October 8th, 2023, 09:40
I use the bottom of coke bottles...

pong
November 6th, 2023, 15:22
For just reading glasses: here in BKK is near where I stay a small stand-since many, many years, moved along the street a bit, near City Hall of BMA- where you can help yourself with some reading stuff getting smaller letters etc and then choose the best +/- and nr.- 50 or 60 bt. I knew my figure from a real test and thus it was easy.
But for full all the time glasses etc not a recommended way.

Armando
November 6th, 2023, 20:21
If you are ever in Bangkok, the Rutnin Eye hospital on Asoke is very good and has an eyeglass shop on the ground floor. I was there about 3 years ago when I felt - very surprisingly - that my prescription was improving. Sure enough, I needed lenses with a lesser strength.

The good thing is they will also check your retinas and whether you might have the start of cataracts. Recently I decided to go to the eye department at the public Chulalongkorn Hospital where I now see a Professor of Retinology since I have had retina problems in one eye ever since a bad fall many years ago. This doctor is amazing and the cost is about half what I paid at Rutnin. Although I do not require the operation yet, removing the cataracts will cost a quarter of the Rutnin price.

Dodger
November 8th, 2023, 07:18
If you are ever in Bangkok, the Rutnin Eye hospital on Asoke is very good and has an eyeglass shop on the ground floor. I was there about 3 years ago when I felt - very surprisingly - that my prescription was improving. Sure enough, I needed lenses with a lesser strength.

Rutnin is excellent. I had cataract surgery there a few years ago and they did a great job. Unfortunately it's a bit too far to travel (from Pattaya) for routine glasses.

Patanawet
November 13th, 2023, 00:08
]If you are ever in Bangkok, the Rutnin Eye hospital on Asoke is very good

Isn't Rutin associated with Moorfield's in London?
I found it a bit impersonal, a bit of a factory.

Dodger
November 13th, 2023, 07:37
]If you are ever in Bangkok, the Rutnin Eye hospital on Asoke is very good

Isn't Rutin associated with Moorfield's in London?
I found it a bit impersonal, a bit of a factory.

Rutin is similar to the State hospitals over here...long cues...a bit of a factory-feel like you mentioned...but excellent medical staff with latest technology. Considered the best in Thailand.

I heard that Rutin was owned by the Arabs...but could be wrong.

BTW...I was able to find the prescription polaroid glasses I was looking for in Pattaya - so all done.

francois
November 13th, 2023, 10:17
BTW...I was able to find the prescription polaroid glasses I was looking for in Pattaya - so all done.

Where did you find this optician? Did they do a good eye examination for the new lens or use an older prescription?

Armando
November 13th, 2023, 10:25
I found the Rutnin faciities and staff very good. The main problem was that appointment times were never kept. I frequently had to wait 45 minutes after an appointment time made months earlier. When I once had to wait 75 minutes, I asked the staff on duty why. She said they were very busy, a ridiculous answer as that was very obvious. I then asked what was the point of appointment times and why they had not contacted me by phone or sms to suggest I come an hour later? I was met with a typical Thai blank stare!

latintopxxx
November 13th, 2023, 11:26
...so annoying.....farangs move to LOS but expect the same way of working as back home...the home they fled because they were looking for something different...

gerefan2
November 13th, 2023, 23:07
...so annoying.....farangs move to LOS but expect the same way of working as back home......

If it was the UK and you had an appointment with your doctor they are never, ever, on time.

That is….if you could get an appointment in the first place.

Armando
November 14th, 2023, 12:59
...so annoying.....farangs move to LOS but expect the same way of working as back home...the home they fled because they were looking for something different...
That has to be a huge joke!

If it was the UK and you had an appointment with your doctor they are never, ever, on time.

That is….if you could get an appointment in the first place.
This is not the UK where appointments can take many weeks and long waiting lines are common. This is Thailand and Rutnin is an expensive private hospital. At the sort of prices they charge, i have never been kept waiting more than about 15-20 minutes in any other private hospital here.

latintopxxx
November 15th, 2023, 00:54
ah yes....the self righteous farang...back home he's a nobody but once in Thailand believes that somehow he has been reincarnated as a VIP...listen here honey...all those boys screeching "handsome man" as you walk by a gogo bar...they dont really mean it...

Armando
November 16th, 2023, 08:53
ah yes....the self righteous farang...back home he's a nobody but once in Thailand believes that somehow he has been reincarnated as a VIP...listen here honey...all those boys screeching "handsome man" as you walk by a gogo bar...they dont really mean it...
What sort of rubbish are you spouting this time?

Dodger
November 17th, 2023, 07:30
One of the many things I appreciate about retirement is that I'm never in a hurry anymore.

Queen Sirikit Hospital (General Care) in Sattahip is similar to Rutnin Eye Hospital - where they're also known for providing excellent medical treatment, but the waiting times are very looooooooog...and I actually enjoy it!

Sirikit also supports the local Thai Navy by providing mandatory physical examinations for all new recruits. It's not uncommon to see clusters of young melt-in-your-mouth Navy boys sitting around in their snug white shorts waiting for their numbers to be called. I stared at this one boys crotch for so long that by the time they called my number I forgot why I was there...555.

There's always a port in the storm.

christianpfc
November 20th, 2023, 21:21
I lost my glasses earlier this year and after going a few days without glasses, I realized the only reason I need glasses is in case a cute boy walks out of my focus range.

Andy
November 22nd, 2023, 11:13
https://youtu.be/mdYTNqalaiU?si=kO8gfrKPeL_ed-zz

Video about Rutnin Eye Hospital from Pattaya youtuber.