PDA

View Full Version : Happenings in Chiang Mai

maump
September 10th, 2023, 08:22
A new Host bar/club showed up in my facebook feeds in Chiang Mai which made me wonder if anyone lives there and how is it recovering?

New Circle Club Chiang Mai. very handsome men in the pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=new%20circle%20club%20chiangmai

https://www.facebook.com/reel/607528924818880?fs=e&s=m

Armando
September 10th, 2023, 12:29
This is the same address as the old Circle Pub. Presumably just been renamed. In its later years it was never much of a venue. Gay Chiang Mai remains in its death throes.

Oliver2
September 10th, 2023, 14:13
That's right; even in the Good Old Days of the late 90s, when Adam's Apple was packed to the rafters- dangerously so- and where CMU students in the customers were as good-looking as the dancers, Circle was quiet. CM has always suffered from its gay venues being spread-out so thinly across the city. Lavender Lanna made a good effort a decade ago but we all know what happened there.

Armando
September 10th, 2023, 16:37
Lavender Lanna made a good effort a decade ago but we all know what happened there.
An effort, yes. A good effort? Sorry I cannot agree. It was a total folly. It had been a cheap hotel before the gay owner took it over with the intention of turning it into a gay resort hotel. A few of its 100+ rooms had been renovated quite nicely, I believe. The rest were basic and the hotel had lots of complaints which led to upgrading when possible. A rooftop pool was advertised but we never saw it. Only saw a lap-type pool at the side on around the 2nd floor. Pretty dark there. But it did have a sauna and massage place with some nice looking masseurs.

The one eatery where we had dinner was a rooftop restaurant. Food seemed to be OK but it took our waiter 3 goes before he got the bill correct. One part the owner got right was the cabaret venue in the basement. A lot of the performers in Power Boys were students and we thoroughly enjoyed the show and chatting to some of them afterwards, although there was no nudity. But like the hotel itself, it was way too big, especially for 2 shows a night. In addition to bar seating, there must have been at least 100 fixed seats.

A full service hotel that was vastly too large, it required a staff of around 200. Yet the PR blurb always said it had been turned into a gay utopia that would take gay Chiang Mai into a new dimension. 100+ rooms was outrageous for a gay hotel in CNX and was never going to succeed. I can only imagine that it was partly huge debts run up trying to make the Lanna Lavender a basic going concern that led to the owner's suicide the following year. I believe it was eventually sold and turned back into a non-gay hotel. But according to tripadvisor reports, it was in a bad state. One reviewer wrote "This is a filthy hoel with stained carpets in the rooms, dust everywhere. I had paid a one night deposit but found it so filthy I checked out after haing an afternoon nap." No idea what it is like now.

Oliver2
September 10th, 2023, 17:43
You've opened an old wound for me! I stayed there twice, once alone and once with my boyfriend. Choosing the best rooms available, about 1300 a night, I was quite content with the 3* standards. The roof-top restaurant was good- well-priced and affording an interesting view. The on-site massage was at least as good as street-front ones in Pattaya and Bangkok, even if it was ruled over by a harridan.

And the go-go bar was excellent, at least for those of us who prefer twinks. Adam's Apple was closed at this time and so it was the only show in town.

The top half was gay, the lower serving many visitors to the next-door hospital This was easily discerned at breakfast; lots of families. I agree that the concept was over-ambitious but the non-gay lower floors were probably the money-spinners...or could have been. P and I were usually the only gay guests in the crowded restaurant. The others were Thais, rather than Chinese and so on.

Overall, I thought it good value but with teething problems. It was also conveniently placed for tuk tuks, unlike Lotus. I had no idea as to why it was disliked by so many, particularly if they hadn't stayed there.

I suspect- and the subsequent tragic events bear this out- that the owner upset some powerful people.

I stick by my view that it was CM's last chance as a gay tourist venue.

maump
September 10th, 2023, 19:20
so If I decide to spend a month in chiang mai... bring my own boy?

does anyone know if the circle club is foreign owned?

Oliver2
September 10th, 2023, 20:51
"bring my own boy?"

That's what I do....although he's forty now! However, your tastes may be different to mine and so you may find Adam's Apple a hunting-ground.
We love it there and go at least once a year.

Armando
September 10th, 2023, 22:43
We love it there and go at least once a year.
I have also visited many times and loved it from the first. The city itself has many attractions as does the country nearby and it's a pleasant change from Bangkok and Pattaya. But over the last 6 - 8 or more years almost all the gay places have just died. Before it went belly up itself, the gay in chiangmai website listed well over 50 closures. We actually liked the fact that there were plenty of gay bars and massage spas dotted around rather than in just one place. We don't particularly want to see the scenery yet again and find the few bars that remain a shadow of their former selves. So for us it's been there done that.

mr giggles
September 11th, 2023, 12:44
I suspect- and the subsequent tragic events bear this out- that the owner upset some powerful people.

You are suggesting foul play?

francois
September 11th, 2023, 12:56
You are suggesting foul play?

The owner died from suicide.

christianpfc
September 11th, 2023, 21:31
We actually liked the fact that there were plenty of gay bars and massage spas dotted around rather than in just one place.
That leads to my pet peeve with Chiang Mai: getting around.

Getting around on foot is awful. I have done it the first trips to Chiang Mai and vividly remember having to wait 5-10 minutes to cross the road around the moat. Traffic as bad as in Bangkok, but no pedestrian overpasses.

Next trips with a friend's car the problem of finding somewhere to park.

Public transport is the most expensive and the worst organized of all Thailand. Elsewhere you can hop an a bus or songtheo and get to your destination along the route for 10 Baht, here it is 30 and you have to ask where they are going.

I didn't even try to get a taxi on previous trips (hailing one on the road). But on a recent trip I used grab or bolt, and can get taxi for prices like in Bangkok!

maump
September 14th, 2023, 08:38
That leads to my pet peeve with Chiang Mai: getting around.

Getting around on foot is awful. I have done it the first trips to Chiang Mai and vividly remember having to wait 5-10 minutes to cross the road around the moat. Traffic as bad as in Bangkok, but no pedestrian overpasses.

Next trips with a friend's car the problem of finding somewhere to park.

Public transport is the most expensive and the worst organized of all Thailand. Elsewhere you can hop an a bus or songtheo and get to your destination along the route for 10 Baht, here it is 30 and you have to ask where they are going.

Can you rent scooters like Pattaya for transportation..?

Oliver2
September 14th, 2023, 13:46
It's not just taxis that cause me grief in CM. In the days when I rented a car, I found the moat road almost impossible to navigate back to my hotel. Each exit looked the same, particularly at night. On one occasion I gave -up, hailed a tuk tuk and paid the driver to lead me back just in time Adam's Apple to open.

Moses
September 14th, 2023, 16:50
===on a recent trip I used grab or bolt, and can get taxi for prices like in Bangkok!===

apps are working well in CM, used both during my past 2 visits and everything went smooth, prices were slightly lower than in Bangkok, but prices are very dependable on weather, time and day of the week, so maybe I was just lucky...

as example prices to/from airport from Iron Bridge area were about 200-250 Bahts

extronaut
September 15th, 2023, 02:56
Slight side issue, but: what's it like in Chiang Mai.

I know the girls there have a reputation for being a bit expensive, as well as a bit conservative in bed. What are the boys like?

christianpfc
September 16th, 2023, 10:51
I haven't offed one from a bar for over 10 years. The one I got online in May accepted my offer of 1000. I think this was the only I got online in Chiang Mai. The off from bar was the only as well. But then, I don't go to Chiang Mai that often, mostly because of the awful travel situation in Chiang Mai, see my previous post.

Patanawet
October 23rd, 2023, 17:58
I haven't been to CM since lockdowns.
As I've said elsewhere, there used to be 'sleaze alley' opposite the rear of the Night Bazaar. It used, before that, to be in the basement of the Night Bazaar.
Other bars are far apart requiring tuk tuks or taxis.

I know many here hate bars with LB shows but I urge you to look in at RAM Bar. It is not specifically gay but the EXCELLENT professional show (LB and attractive boy dancers) attracts a lot of gays in who are not desperate for a pick-up
RAM BAR is in the soi opposite the front of the Night Bazaar. Best to be there by about 21:30 as it can get very busy..
My last trip, we went every night because the show changes every night. Best shows I've seen in Thailand in twenty or more years.
After Ram, there are small gay host beer bars in the sois around there.

Oliver2
October 23rd, 2023, 20:56
We were there nine months ago and we're returning in just over two weeks....can't wait. Of course, the gay scene is irrelevant to us now but one thing that was very obvious was the effect that the lack of Chinese tour-groups was having on the city's economy. We stay at the Amora and in the past the hotel has been full and overwhelmingly with Chinese guests. Last time, the occupancy was nearer 50%. The Asians there seemed to be Korean.

Our two favourite restaurants- one of them the famous Whole Earth- were closed; and sadly still are. Nevertheless, I still get a thrill on arrival by our taxi ride along the moats while a smile appears on P's face as the stupas of his favourite temples (or some of them) become visible.

Armando
October 24th, 2023, 09:33
I haven't offed one from a bar for over 10 years. The one I got online in May accepted my offer of 1000. I think this was the only I got online in Chiang Mai. The off from bar was the only as well. But then, I don't go to Chiang Mai that often, mostly because of the awful travel situation in Chiang Mai, see my previous post.
I haven't been since covid. Before many of the gay venues started closing (considerably before covid) I used to love my visits, as much for the sights as the boys. And most of the boys were great. But I much preferred those in the massage joints rather than the bars.

pong
November 6th, 2023, 15:16
Slight side issue, but: what's it like in Chiang Mai.

I know the girls there have a reputation for being a bit expensive, as well as a bit conservative in bed. What are the boys like?

@Female:Just use Thai beliefs: applies to about any (real) girl from the North and Thai (not BUrmese or whatever minority-plenty over there): think Thai: SKIN-white! Or least dark one can find in TH. Opposite: hence Isan girls should be cheaper. And all those farang that so much like them keep on being baffled for this by Thai. But thats from pre 2000-I assume habits also change with the yrs and ever diminishing supply of those people.
Re guys from the north: cannot really say they were more modest or conservative as others, say from Isan. But have to admit thats now also a bit getting aged: many years ago since I´ve been there, though there also used to be plenty here in BKK. But about anyone working guy from the north nowadays is from one of those tribes or cheating a bit as he is in actual fact Burmese.
Ch Mai used to have a 3 lines citybus system-also pre 2000 (not reaching airport, mostly aimed at UNI). This disappeared and I remember once that the city itself had set up an also new system with midibuses and running along the major roads-but I guess that has also again disappeared, as otherwise Chris would have used and known about it.
Oh-and long, long ago sitting in the eves along canal near moat would also lead to meets with prospective guys looking for fun with guys-and for some also as a small extra income. I often stayed in a budget HTL just across. (somehow I remember at that time it was 150 bt/N- no AC though).

christianpfc
November 6th, 2023, 20:35
There are new bus lines, and I saw a map and timetable posted on a bus stop. But during my few days I didn't use the bus.

fredfred
November 24th, 2023, 23:18
Hi everybody

Could you tell me what are best gay gogo bar with nice naked male show ?

Best regards
Fred

Moses
November 25th, 2023, 03:38
Hi everybody

Could you tell me what are best gay gogo bar with nice naked male show ?

Best regards
Fred

I'm not sure if such show exists in Chiang Mai at all.

Oliver2
November 25th, 2023, 07:51
We've just spent a few days there; it's a city we love. However, we didn't see any sign of a visible presence of gays or of gay establishments. Not that we were looking for any, admittedly.
At the same time, the sight of the two of us walking around the city hand-in-hand didn't seem to surprise anyone either.
I assume that Adam's Apple is still running? if so, it would probably be the most likely place to find a show .

smcm88
November 29th, 2023, 14:52
Just wondering if anyone has been to see Muay Thai in Chiang Mai...? I'm gonna be in town next week and thinking of going to watch some cute guys belt the crap out of each other.. LOL

It looks like there are four places, but hard to tell which one is better ..

Anyone been...?

pong
November 30th, 2023, 04:46
Saw some MT yesterday eve whilst passing y a couple of Thai yelling at their TV-here in BKK though.
MT is not famed for ´pretty guys´-those doing it longer all seem to have deformed faces or other parts-probably thats why this ´game´ is for. BTW-major use of this game seems to be the enormous betting for money going on.
For me quite some time now since I last was in the ´cool rose of the north´, but here in BKK with also some 4-5 big MT venues, these operate on a rotating base, with on quiet days just 1 working, busy days maybe 2. Assume it will be same-same over there.
BUT any touristy town will have also several such venues more as shows plainly aiming the tourists, so in CM likely that night bazaar. These may have starters or apprentices who may still look hensum/looplaw.
Was in a night-bazaar, named Indy, in Daokanong, myself yesterday eve, in a complete non-touristy part of town-did not know they are also building a new metroline there so traffic to get there was horrendous bad, around half that place was offering food but then mostly non-Thai sourced, but made more appetite for Thai taste=quite the other way tourist places present their Thai food toned down for farang taste! Pfooh: all really hensum guys there, also in the bus to there, were already coupled to ladies-though for latin that might perhaps have been the bigger challenge.

smcm88
November 30th, 2023, 14:03
Thanks Pong.

JayToff
December 9th, 2023, 20:25
There are, indeed, four boxing stadiums in central Chiang Mai. Of these the main and "official" Muay Thai stadium is Thapae Stadium, which is where all the best fights in Chiang Mai happen. If you are going to only one of them, go to Thapae Stadium. (https://www.muaythaistadium.com/thapae-stadium) There are fights every night apart from Sundays - or at lest there were before the pandemic. As you might guess, it is located near the Thapae Gate.

The other three venues are in the Night Market area. These are Loi Kroh Stadium, the one in the night market building opposite the Hard Rock / Red Lion pub (you will need to go up to the first floor); and the one in the Kalare Night Bazaar building. Of these Night Market options, the Loi Kroh stadium is the best. All these stadia are within walking distance of each other. Central Chiang Mai is small.

No idea where you are staying, but if you come from the direction of the Night Market / Le Meridien hotel, the entrance to Loi Kroh stadium will be on your left. Calling it a stadium is a bit of an exaggeration though. It is a raised boxing ring within a bar area, surrounded by bars. It isn't visible from the main street but you can't miss it as there will always be a ticket desk and touts out on the main street at the entrance to the passageway leading to the "stadium". The fights in Loi Kroh and the other two Night Market venues attract a lot of juniour Thai fighters and foreigners who are studying Muay Thai in the many Muay Thai schools in Chiang Mai. Don't expect to see the kind of fights that you will see at Thapae Stadium though. Tickets at the Night Market are a standard 600 baht with free entry for kids accompanied by adults.
Prices at Thapae Stadium very by ticket type, from 600 baht - 1,500 baht.

My guess is that having been for one fight you will want to go back for more. Thapae Stadium is the best choice, followed by Loi Kroh.

Incidentally, for the causal Muay Thai fan or foreigner just curious to watch the fights, Chiang Mai is probably the best place to watch one. The Bangkok stadiums attract the very best fighters, but prices are higher and the size of the stadia mean that you will be further away from the action. In Chiang Mai, you will be closer to the action and will often have the opportunity to approach the fighters after the match and to have your picture taken with them etc. Tips are always appreciated, of course.

Have fun in Chiang Mai.