PDA

View Full Version : Russians affair with Phuket

jvt22222
August 12th, 2023, 08:45
There is a longish article in Friday’s GUARDIAN about the ongoing Russian invasion of Phuket … thank the gods they have found Phuket … I’m sure they will like it there much more than Pattaya! 555555

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/11/russians-fleeing-putin-war-find-a-home-in-phuket-thailand-ukraine

Patanawet
August 13th, 2023, 18:18
Good thing they don't realise what the Phuketians think of them.

latintopxxx
August 14th, 2023, 05:17
thats a bit nasty Patanawet...you cant generalise about a race or nation like that, there is good and bad everywhere

mr giggles
August 14th, 2023, 14:03
Good thing they don't realise what the Phuketians think of them.

Did you mean Fucketians?

Moses
August 14th, 2023, 16:29
There is a longish article in Friday’s GUARDIAN about the ongoing Russian invasion of Phuket … thank the gods they have found Phuket … I’m sure they will like it there much more than Pattaya! 555555

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/11/russians-fleeing-putin-war-find-a-home-in-phuket-thailand-ukraine

It isn't "invasion", it is returning. Before COVID there were 72 direct flights to Phuket from Russia weekly at time of high season, up to 96 at Christmas time. Right now only 28. Yet. Low season. But prices are very affordable: $165 one way from Moscow, economy class.

gerefan2
August 14th, 2023, 17:51
Did you mean Fucketians?

Think he probably meant Fuckandforgetians.

latintopxxx
August 14th, 2023, 18:58
i love watching the Russian lads on the beach, hunky good looking slavic gays in bulging speedos .... whats not to like

Dodger
August 15th, 2023, 08:19
But prices are very affordable: $165 one way from Moscow, economy class.

I imagine those one way tickets are in big demand now.

Moses
August 15th, 2023, 14:19
I imagine those one way tickets are in big demand now.

Nope. It is reason why prices are such low. Now Greece, Turkey, Italy, Spain are in favor - they are much more close and you may visit them "just for weekend", also Crimea and other regions of Black sea beaches within Russia.

Marc K
August 16th, 2023, 05:36
Nope. They are much closer (ed.) and you may visit them "just for weekend", also Crimea and other regions of Black sea beaches within Russia.

I guess many of the speedo boys are outside their country in order to avoid conscription. In that way I feel sorry for them because if they were to be drafted they would be asked to kill their kissing-cousins in Ukraniya.

One other reason for the Russians' decline in Thailand is likely due to the crash of the ruble.

Patanawet
August 16th, 2023, 15:25
Sorry, not meant to be nasty at all nor to reflect my views.
I was was really reporting my memories from Pattaya of the locals when a few years ago, there was a large influx of Russian tourists.

Moses
August 16th, 2023, 22:46
==== I guess many of the speedo boys are outside their country in order to avoid conscription. ====

Looks like you have no idea what is going on in Russia. It is criminal by Russian law to use conscripts in any military conflict. Conscript servicing in training camps on territory of Russia. 1 year.

There was mobilization in September'22. Condition for mobilization was: person should already has military service in his past 5 years. Total here were mobilized about 300K. Mobilization ended on November 1st 2022.
Maybe you meant Ukraine? There is forbidden for males 16-60 yo to leave country, borders are locked. In Russia borders are opened.

Russian army use contracting service. Over 400K signed contracts within past 1.5 years so army don't need mobilization anymore. This job is good paid: about 4 times higher than average salary in Russia.

====One other reason for the Russians' decline in Thailand is likely due to the crash of the ruble.===
At past 2 days ruble got stronger about 6% just in 2 days because Central Bank made some decision about key rate 2 days ago.

Also it is wrong about "declining": Russian diaspora is growing back after COVID - if you will read news you will see: Russians are main buyers of property in Thailand within foreigners now. Again. The same in Turkey, Montenegro, UAE, Bulgaria.

litefoot2
August 17th, 2023, 02:34
Much needed caveat. Tourists from mainland China tend to be aggressive and sometimes antisocial from my Pattaya experiences. That definitely cannot be said about most visitors from Taiwan and Hong Kong. (Taipei is my favorite stopover when coming to Thailand.)

You may be able to make tentative behavior predictions from geographical regions but clearly not based on ethnicity. We all know where that leads.

aot871
August 22nd, 2023, 15:29
It isn't "invasion", it is returning. Before COVID there were 72 direct flights to Phuket from Russia weekly at time of high season, up to 96 at Christmas time. Right now only 28. Yet. Low season. But prices are very affordable: $165 one way from Moscow, economy class.

Maybe Moses can explain why the fares are so low , and what airline is offering those prices?